View Full Version : MavTV

CC Cowboy
March 24th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I'm watching an enduro on MavTV. I might have said this before (actually, I've probably said this before), if you want to be a great rider and have control in any situation, you need to ride a dirt bike in the woods and learn how your body controls the bike.

After my first year of racing I started riding dirt bikes in the woods and I improved to the point of not being worried when the bike gets loose. If the front steps out, no problem, if the rear steps out, no problem, it's all part of the fun.

Anyone that has some woods near by (with trails) needs to get a dirt bike and go have the time of your life being out of control.

kkim
March 24th, 2011, 07:50 PM
agree with you 110%. the art of being able to stay calm while the bike is slipping and sliding under you is something every rider should master. In the dirt, it's common and the way bikes are meant to be ridden. On the street, hopefully, you'll never encounter a sliding bike, but if it ever does happen and you've got some dirt experience, you tend to correct for/handle it instinctively.

I'm simply amazed how fast the pros are in those enduros. I was just watching the racing the other day saying how easy it is to ride that fast for a short distance, but to do it all day long is something I wouldn't be able to handle, both physically and mentally. I'd wrap myself around a tree before the end of the day... more likely after the first 10 minutes! :p

gfloyd2002
March 25th, 2011, 05:47 AM
This is the whole purpose behind Rich Oliver's Mystery School (http://www.richoliver.net/). Here is what Rich has to say on this question:

HOW WILL LEARNING TO SLIDE ON THE DIRT HELP MY STREET RIDING OR ROAD RACING?

OK, this is the big question that I always get asked, and at first I wondered how anyone could not understand the benefits of learning improved bike control by sliding a mini bike on the dirt! You see the reason you can go fast on the track is because you really understand how the motorcycle works at its limit. That limit is way beyond having your tires in perfect contact and grip with the pavement! You’re never going to win riding like that! A real pro rider is always out of shape to some degree, pushing his machine way beyond the “hooked up” stage, and is backing into corners on the brakes, losing the front in the corners and saving it, power sliding the rear tire off the corners, etc. This is real racing and the Champions are masters of this balancing act between crashing out or achieving victory. Even the riders down the finishing order are able to push their bikes this hard. So if you’ve ever gotten a scare when your bike goes sideways, you may think that’s it, I can’t go any faster. Wrong, that’s just the starting point to a fast lap!

Look, it’s not my idea to ride in the dirt to get better; you’ve got to credit Kenny Roberts as the biggest influence in this area. It’s the main method he insisted his team riders’ use for bike control practice, and many other top riders from all types of racing would come do the same at his 160 acre ranch near Modesto, CA. Don’t know much about World Champion Kenny Roberts? Well let’s just say he was the greatest rider of his time both on dirt track and pavement, and I was lucky enough to ride for him for two years. Did it work, hell yes! I went from a top 5 rider to a Champion instantly. I raced so much better and faster it was unbelievable!

Massively improved throttle control, better body position control and understanding of your movements, braking abilities skyrocket, and yes, you will learn to back it in sideways! How about power slides under perfect control, line choice, starting technique, gearshift timing, vision improvement . . .

I've got a reserved date for this summer when I'm back in the U.S. :D

kkim
March 25th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Floyd,

Why not just buy a used dirt bike and you can practice all year long? :D

gfloyd2002
March 25th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Floyd,

Why not just buy a used dirt bike and you can practice all year long? :D

I'll have my wife call you. :D I've been making this argument since a friend here in Barbados put his CRF250 up for sale. I even lied and said I'd use my current equipment with it. No luck.

kkim
March 25th, 2011, 02:15 PM
tell her you'll buy her one so she can have fun, too. :ride: