View Full Version : How far can I lean?

oroboros
March 24th, 2011, 06:21 PM
How far can I lean my stock 501 tires? I read the thread on tires and pretty much want to install the Pirelli Sport Demons immediately. Since I am not terribly worried about high mileage commuter tires and I am more interested in practicing in the twisties I am O.K. with faster wear.

I guess what I really want to be doing is dragging my knee at the track.

I need the gear! Some one get me some of the those pre-scuffed knee sliders so I have street cred! ;) Seriously though, I think I need to look at getting full gear. I feel weird not being "accomplished enough' to need it but at the same time why wouldnt I have the right gear? (also expensive $$)

Here are two pics from the same curve...about 10 minutes apart.

(i did purchase my pic from Darryl so I hop he is ok with the comp... its just a lo-res thumb)

This is a pic of my tire after running through the Gap. There is about 1/2" on the the edge. help!

http://www.killboy.com/

Live2ride
March 24th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I've dragged pegs on the stock irc's plenty of times, but it just doesn't feel nearly as stable as pirelli's. I have had the irc tire slip a little while barely leaning and that made me hate them, after we changed to pirelli's I felt much more confident and never had the tire slide out again. :2cents:

kkim
March 24th, 2011, 07:37 PM
how far can you lean??? until you fall, silly. :)

choneofakind
March 24th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Till you start scraping hard parts like your sidestand or muffler. You don't have a centerstand which helps

kingkang204
March 24th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong But...
Essentially sitting in the middle of the bike uses more tire (In terms of the amount of the side).
Personal Experience; a Mini-Sweeper type turn suggested 25 mph awhile back I thought I was really pushing it at 70 (Full gear, don't flame me) but after reading the threads about body position (Thanks to Misti) I was able to take the corner at a faster speed but along with that I was using significantly less tire that I was using an "Improper" body position. Keep in mine I have no so amazing IRC's with like 6k on them (pretty much Irrelevant but I like to complain).
Anyway's moving your body will help with how much you can lean, <-- my experience. What I also found was if you hang off the bike with the ninja all you have to do is place your body weight into the corners(since its such a light bike) it'll just fall into the corner. If I can sometime I'll have my brother take a picture of me taking the corner.
Look at both the picture (Not trying to be offensive) but you're sitting in the middle of the bike while the guy on the r1 is half off his bike, it makes a difference.

One note, hanging off is somewhat scary in the beginning (I'm still trying to fight the feeling) but you really have to be loose, relax your body not only do you turn better but it's way more fun when you're not really tense.

kkim
March 24th, 2011, 09:53 PM
yep, which is why "chicken strips" bear no correlation on how "great" one's cornering skills are.

00NissanNinja
March 24th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Yeah like kingkang said, better positioning usually helps you take corners better.

oroboros
March 25th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Thanks for your replies. No doubt I need to work on body positioning. This why I went through all the pictures from that day and compared myself to others. I just wanted to make sure that there was no real reason to be concerned about over taxing the stock tires at this point. Perhaps in the near future I can put up a "Before and After" pic :photo:

oroboros
March 25th, 2011, 04:18 AM
how far can you lean??? until you fall, silly. :)

I saw that one coming!;)

rockNroll
March 25th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Both pictures show bad body positioning. Id say yours is a little better than his because it looks like he's all scrunched up and forward.

In my opinion, the most common bad thing I see with people carving canyons is that they're going too slow for the amount of "lean" and "hang off" they're trying to do. They look silly and crash a lot.

oroboros
March 25th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Both pictures show bad body positioning. Id say yours is a little better than his because it looks like he's all scrunched up and forward.

In my opinion, the most common bad thing I see with people carving canyons is that they're going too slow for the amount of "lean" and "hang off" they're trying to do. They look silly and crash a lot.
Interesting...

I guess pictures tell a thousand words but not the whole story. I was probably only going 35 - 40mph on this curve. This particular curve is more of a horseshoe shape.

Maybe in the second picture the guy is going 50mph or more. I don't know really?

spooph
March 28th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Move your butt back, and your crack right on the edge of the seat, put your chin on the handlebar, and stick a knee out. On the left side you can scrape pegs without feelers before you run out of grip, with the appropriate pressures. Do you have your feelers removed? On the right side, you'll scrape stock muffler before you get to the pegs, but will scrape feelers before you scrape the exhaust. Maybe don't remove the feelers? Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? Yea, plenty of grip left in those tires...

But as many people have said, a great rider doesn't necessarily always use that grip. Erasing chicken strips doesn't necessarily make you faster... Best of luck!

Misti
March 28th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong But...
Essentially sitting in the middle of the bike uses more tire (In terms of the amount of the side).
Personal Experience; a Mini-Sweeper type turn suggested 25 mph awhile back I thought I was really pushing it at 70 (Full gear, don't flame me) but after reading the threads about body position (Thanks to Misti) I was able to take the corner at a faster speed but along with that I was using significantly less tire that I was using an "Improper" body position. Keep in mine I have no so amazing IRC's with like 6k on them (pretty much Irrelevant but I like to complain).
Anyway's moving your body will help with how much you can lean, <-- my experience. What I also found was if you hang off the bike with the ninja all you have to do is place your body weight into the corners(since its such a light bike) it'll just fall into the corner. If I can sometime I'll have my brother take a picture of me taking the corner.
Look at both the picture (Not trying to be offensive) but you're sitting in the middle of the bike while the guy on the r1 is half off his bike, it makes a difference.

One note, hanging off is somewhat scary in the beginning (I'm still trying to fight the feeling) but you really have to be loose, relax your body not only do you turn better but it's way more fun when you're not really tense.

Really good points here!! You must have a good teacher ;):thumbup: The amount you can lean is going to depend a lot on what you are doing with your body position. You could have the best tires out there but if you have poor body position you may run out of grip much faster than someone with good body position on crappy tires. Judging from the pics I say you need to sit back in the seat a little bit and work on leaning your upper body into the turn instead of having it remain over the center of the bike.

yep, which is why "chicken strips" bear no correlation on how "great" one's cornering skills are.

Exactly :)

Cheers and ride safe!!

Misti

oroboros
March 28th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Move your butt back, and your crack right on the edge of the seat, put your chin on the handlebar, and stick a knee out. On the left side you can scrape pegs without feelers before you run out of grip, with the appropriate pressures. Do you have your feelers removed? On the right side, you'll scrape stock muffler before you get to the pegs, but will scrape feelers before you scrape the exhaust. Maybe don't remove the feelers? Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? Yea, plenty of grip left in those tires...

But as many people have said, a great rider doesn't necessarily always use that grip. Erasing chicken strips doesn't necessarily make you faster... Best of luck!

Spooph,

Thank you for exactly answering my question. My irrational question/concern was about the stock tires and the how far is O.K. to lean. I was not sure if the profile of the tire was a concern. I included a picture of the rear tire to show the profile and wear mark. I thought this might be relevant. As I suspect both the tire and bike will out perform me.

Really good points here!! You must have a good teacher ;):thumbup: The amount you can lean is going to depend a lot on what you are doing with your body position. You could have the best tires out there but if you have poor body position you may run out of grip much faster than someone with good body position on crappy tires. Judging from the pics I say you need to sit back in the seat a little bit and work on leaning your upper body into the turn instead of having it remain over the center of the bike.

Cheers and ride safe!!

Misti

Misti,

Thank you for your tips! I am hoping to have a before and after pic!

Peanut_EOD
April 7th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Go to a track. The more track time you get in the less you will worry about pointless things like chicken strips and how you look in a picture on the dragons tail. Racetracks are a whole other experience. Once you get comfortable and develop some skills on the track you will realize that you can take most curves on public roads without hanging off. This is just my opinion, but anyone dragging knee on a public road is an asshole. Do a few track days and you will most likely find riding on the street more relaxing and enjoyable. Get that knee down and going fast thing out of your system on a track. Don't be an asshole or a squid.

oroboros
April 7th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Wow, thanks Peanut. That was very helpful. I guess I can take the pictures down so it doesnt bother you.

My point exactly was that I am interested in getting to a track. As I am relatively new to street riding my question was about the profile of the stock tire and how far can I lean. I asked this because I wanted to know if there was something I should know about different tires and the tolorances. It was not about chicken strips. When I recently took the MSF Advanced rider course they specifically focused on sport bike technique and leaning.

My intention is to get in some track days but that will have to wait until I can come up with the extra $$.

GeorgiaHooligan
April 7th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Ever run over one of those little reflectors in the middle of a long sweeper? The back tire will hop a little , not a good feeling.

rockNroll
April 7th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Go to a track. The more track time you get in the less you will worry about pointless things like chicken strips and how you look in a picture on the dragons tail. Racetracks are a whole other experience. Once you get comfortable and develop some skills on the track you will realize that you can take most curves on public roads without hanging off. This is just my opinion, but anyone dragging knee on a public road is an asshole. Do a few track days and you will most likely find riding on the street more relaxing and enjoyable. Get that knee down and going fast thing out of your system on a track. Don't be an asshole or a squid.

Gee wiz... some of the nicest fellas I know put a knee down up in our mountains around here.

Peanut_EOD
April 7th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Wow, thanks Peanut. That was very helpful. I guess I can take the pictures down so it doesnt bother you.

My point exactly was that I am interested in getting to a track. As I am relatively new to street riding my question was about the profile of the stock tire and how far can I lean. I asked this because I wanted to know if there was something I should know about different tires and the tolorances. It was not about chicken strips. When I recently took the MSF Advanced rider course they specifically focused on sport bike technique and leaning.

My intention is to get in some track days and some but that will have to wait until I can come up with the extra $$.
Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean for you to remove your pics or talk down to you. Reading my post it did sound more harsh than it was intended to sound. I guess what I was trying to say is, don't worry about getting your knee down especially on the street. While the stock tires are somewhat unpredictable they should have plenty of grip for normal street riding. I may have been reading into your question too much. I guess to answer your question and still sound like a little bit of a dick to hopefully deter you from pushing it too hard on the street. The stock tires should hold fine for normal street riding conditions including a full lean required for most public roads. If you are trying to push it to full lean angle at speed on the dragons tail then I wouldn't trust them. It's great that you want to get to a track. I welcome every rider to do at least one track day. Its way safer than any street.

Sorry for the confusion, and I apologize.

Peanut.:imsorry:

Rexbo
April 7th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I tracked a few times with a pilot sport front tire and the stock 501 rear tire, and you can definitely drag knee and pegs/exhaust with it... BUT the stock 501 is NOT predictable like better tires are. If it starts to slide, it turns into a horrible chatter and probably a highside, whereas sliding my bridgestone 003rs is MUCH more manageable and predictable. You just get that much more margin for error with a better tire than you do with those super hard stockies.

The upside is that I did like 5 track days on the stock rear 501 and despite it appearing to nugget up, it had no noticeable wear in terms of tread depth haha.

Peanut_EOD
April 7th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I love the BT-003's. I'm on the same tires.

Rexbo
April 7th, 2011, 08:18 PM

try the pirelli supercorsa SC1 front tire... you'll like it even more :)

after this next race I'm tempted to buy a set of the michelin power race tires and see how I like those

Peanut_EOD
April 7th, 2011, 08:24 PM
After this next race I'm hoping to take that 250 lap record from you.

oroboros
April 8th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Peanut, thanks for your thoughtful reply. Good info!!

Thanks Rexbo, more good details.

I will get to the track. It's a goal.:thumbup:

"A"
April 8th, 2011, 05:57 AM
I'm not so sure about spending $2-300 on a track day alone can drastically improve one's riding skills without some instructions.

To achieve greater lean angle, you lean the opposite direction of the turn. I started out practicing in an empty parking lot or office parks with wide streets on the weekend with lots of empty spaces.

Ninja 250 has plenty of corner clearance regardless of tire choice, unpredictability as mentioned before is due to lack of practice. As long as tires are warmed up to proper temperature, with enough practice, you can be scraping pegs with OEM tires.:thumbup:

Riders seeking to gain skills should start learning the limits of their OEM machine/tires before moving onto high performance items that might make them feel they can push the envelope further, but once mistakes happen, the consequences are more severe.

Peanut_EOD
April 8th, 2011, 06:01 AM
You've clearly never done a track day have you?

"A"
April 8th, 2011, 07:02 AM
You've clearly never done a track day have you?

Assumption like that just shows you're easily fooled. :D

Why would you post something like that if you don't know me from Joe Blow walking down the street?

Did my previous post lack valid information?

What part of my post do you disagree?

Be specific and do not make assumptions, please.

Peanut_EOD
April 8th, 2011, 08:11 AM
For one you said lean the opposite direction of the turn. What are you talking about? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you.
That was the big one, but there were others too. Like "unpredictability as mentioned before is due to lack of practice", "practicing in an empty parking lot"
I'm not trying to slam you for not being a track rider, but there were key things that you said that lead me to that conclusion.
If you do a track day with a quality track day organization they will give some tips and pointers. They are always willing to help you out.

"A"
April 8th, 2011, 08:38 AM
For one you said lean the opposite direction of the turn. What are you talking about? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you.
That was the big one, but there were others too. Like "unpredictability as mentioned before is due to lack of practice", "practicing in an empty parking lot"
I'm not trying to slam you for not being a track rider, but there were key things that you said that lead me to that conclusion.
If you do a track day with a quality track day organization they will give some tips and pointers. They are always willing to help you out.

Since when do you have to go to a track day event to learn how to maximize your lean angle in turns?

I've participated in many track days/race weekends to know that different skill sets are required for riding on public roads vs track. If you have the budget for $200-500 to participate a track day/race weekend, $200-300 in tires, $50-100 in fuel, $20-100 in camping/hotel cost.. add $40-100 food.. all that money spent for maximum of 10-12 hours of actual ride time if lucky?

Imagine practicing 10-12 hours in an empty parking lot, how much you might learn about the predictability of your OEM tires?

When rider lean into the turn, that is to minimize the lean angle so the tire would have more of the contact patch that's used while the moto is upright contacting the pavement.

But, since the title of this thread of " How far can I lean", my words are: "To achieve greater lean angle, you lean the opposite direction of the turn." below is a good demo:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/cat0020/Motorcycling/motard0.jpg

Alex
April 8th, 2011, 08:48 AM
But the issue is rarely "how far can I lean" with no additional context. It's "how far can I lean without crashing". For streetbikes and racebikes, the faster you go around a corner, the more lean angle is necessary. At some point that amount of lean angle causes issues, either hard parts dragging and preventing additional lean (and levering the tires off of the road), tires that don't work as well at max lean, and harsher suspension performance. So the goal remains on street or track, to minimize max lean angle by both managing speed, and managing body position. On the street, managing corner speed is often more than enough, and most skilled riders on most bikes could ride most public roads with plenty of margin, without ever moving their butt off of the middle the seat. On the track, as speeds ramp up and necessary lean angles go up as well, body position to minimize the bike's lean angle becomes increasingly necessary to remain safely on two wheels.

Supermoto, as demo'd in the great pic above, may sit in a class of its own. The bikes have almost unlimited lean angle as they are very tall, very narrow, with significant ground clearance. Also, the riders on them are generally comfortable with large slip angles and loose traction both front and rear, which is a continuous process at those exaggerated lean angles.

Don't try to emulate that on a ninjette at much more than parking lot speeds. :2cents: In terms of absolute limit of our particular bike, there is less ultimate clearance on the left due to the kickstand and kickstand mount. People have been caught out on track, and even on the street, but not realizing what happens when that hits the ground on a sharp, fast, left-hander. Here is one of kawi's glamour shots from the release of the '08 model, check out the clearance, or lack of it. The BP certainly isn't textbook, which isn't helping the cause, but it still illustrates the situation reasonably well.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/357691692_LGmDg-X2.jpg

"A"
April 8th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Supermoto may be an exaggeration of the riding posture but same could be applied on other motorcycles to achieve greater lean angle without traveling at high speed.

Personally, I don't think about crashing so much; not that I've never went down. I think about everything that I could do to avoid crashing. Practicing for hours with the equipment that I already have and learn the limits of their capabilities in empty parking lots. There are plenty of ways to push the envelope without crashing or getting hurt, but putting the time to practice is how one gets good at it.

IMO the track is an environment that entice riders to ride well beyond their abilities, without learning the limits or capabilities of their equipments first.
Consequences are grave when people are

kingkang204
April 8th, 2011, 10:26 AM

Cheers and ride safe!!

Misti

The amazing teacher would be you. (Thank you for your thread about "Where do you sit")

I have another question though, while leaning in a corner do you still counter-steer to initiate more lean or do you put more body weight into the corner? The reason I ask is because I often find myself being really stiff mid-corner (I know I said to be relaxed but its much harder than just saying it) so its hard to push one way to lean more so I often just put my body lower towards the inside of the corner.
Thanks!

Peanut_EOD
April 8th, 2011, 11:23 AM
The amazing teacher would be you. (Thank you for your thread about "Where do you sit")

I have another question though, while leaning in a corner do you still counter-steer to initiate more lean or do you put more body weight into the corner? The reason I ask is because I often find myself being really stiff mid-corner (I know I said to be relaxed but its much harder than just saying it) so its hard to push one way to lean more so I often just put my body lower towards the inside of the corner.
Thanks!

While you are putting your body lower towards the inside of the corner you are counter steering at the same time. The amount of counter steer is so slight that its not something you need to think about. This is why with proper body position the bike just seems to flow so naturally into a turn. Once you are in the turn you can make the other minor adjustments like more or less counter steer, pressure on the rearsets, seat position throttle even raising or lowering your head makes slight changes to what the bike is doing in the turn. The more track time you get the more all of these things become natural, and not something you have to think about.:leanedover:

kingkang204
April 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM
While you are putting your body lower towards the inside of the corner you are counter steering at the same time. The amount of counter steer is so slight that its not something you need to think about. This is why with proper body position the bike just seems to flow so naturally into a turn. Once you are in the turn you can make the other minor adjustments like more or less counter steer, pressure on the rearsets, seat position throttle even raising or lowering your head makes slight changes to what the bike is doing in the turn. The more track time you get the more all of these things become natural, and not something you have to think about.:leanedover:

I didn't Really consider that leaning more counter-steered more. I haven't been to the track yet, but I plan on going either in may or June. I just bought a track suit this week and it's supposed to be here next Tuesday. I still need boots, gloves and tires so it'll be awhile till I'm fully set for the track.

On another note, I rode my r6 today and I found it felt more "stable" through corners, I also liked the more responsive throttle and the power mid corner

rockNroll
April 8th, 2011, 04:18 PM
This thread has turned funny :rolleyes:

Peanut_EOD
April 8th, 2011, 04:39 PM
This thread has turned funny :rolleyes:

Really? How?:confused20:

Rexbo
April 8th, 2011, 04:47 PM
For your consideration:

http://thatwillbuffout.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/funny-car-photos-i-bet-he-needs-to-change-his-pants-after-that-one.gif

Peanut_EOD
April 8th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Ah, Cadwell Park. Nice!

KELPHYN
April 8th, 2011, 11:20 PM
I'd like to see that done on stock tires and no diaper!

Peanut_EOD
April 9th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Not gonna happen.

"A"
April 9th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Not gonna happen.

Same was told to the Wright Bros. about their vision of flight. :thumbup:

oroboros
April 9th, 2011, 08:45 AM
For your consideration:

http://thatwillbuffout.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/funny-car-photos-i-bet-he-needs-to-change-his-pants-after-that-one.gif

wow, that almost does not look real. I was scared for the guy just watching it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Peanut_EOD
April 9th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Same was told to the Wright Bros. about their vision of flight. :thumbup:
Good point, although I think I would still want the diaper.

wow, that almost does not look real. I scared for the guy just watching it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh its real! Cadwell Park is just about the only track where this is possible.:eek:

JeffM
April 9th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Oh its real! Cadwell Park is just about the only track where this is possible.:eek:

Probably the only. Only other place I can think of that race bikes get big air is at Isle of Man but that is technically not a "track"

http://www.mbike.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/isle-of-man-tt-jump-560x371.jpg

Peanut_EOD
April 9th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Isle of Mann is insane!

choneofakind
April 10th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Jeff thats a sick picture!! it's my desktop background now

Rexbo
April 10th, 2011, 09:40 PM
so getting back on topic, this is how far you can lean (against a wall):

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ok92T4mBPv0/TDirY4UOQSI/AAAAAAAAASo/i0c8fQO8iSM/s1600/HMPlant.jpg

And thats a fact

Peanut_EOD
April 11th, 2011, 05:57 AM
He needs a shorter wall. He's got lots of lean left.

"A"
April 11th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Do they even need a wall on the inside of turn?

Typical problem with road course racing.. racing is just not meant to take place on public roads.

Peanut_EOD
April 11th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Do they even need a wall on the inside of turn?

Typical problem with road course racing.. racing is just not meant to take place on public roads.

I'm with you there, keep that **** for cars.

Alex
April 12th, 2011, 06:41 PM
All of those really crazy wall pics are no longer from the Isle of Man TT, they are from the street race in Macau (http://gp.macau.grandprix.gov.mo/app/home/mgpc/en).

Rexbo
April 12th, 2011, 06:53 PM
All of those really crazy wall pics are no longer from the Isle of Man TT, they are from the street race in Macau (http://gp.macau.grandprix.gov.mo/app/home/mgpc/en).

dude thats suicide... theres zero runoff ANYWHERE

Alex
April 13th, 2011, 07:43 AM
It's funny (in a way). They make a big deal that there is an escape road at the end of the longest straight, so there is some runoff available on one (1) of the fast corners. :)

oroboros
May 6th, 2011, 03:15 PM

Just wanted to add that I went for the BT-003's with the 140 on the back. I installed them the other day and INSTANTLY noticed a huge difference.

My front tire was toast and it was time!!

new tires = no more front end wobble, nice and sticky, falls into the curves effortlessly...even runs quieter too. It's just a better ride.

Now I am much more planted and I am not feeling the the front end sliding through the curves. :thumbup:

Rexbo
June 1st, 2011, 07:35 PM
Also moar consideration:

9twUAi1Q4o0

Thats how far you can lean... in a parking lot

Misti
June 8th, 2011, 02:02 PM

Thanks!

:) sorry for the late reply, I just found this thread again and noticed the question. Must have missed it before.

The ideal situation is to steer the bike ONCE for a given corner so once you get the bike to the lean angle you want then you don't steer any more. Provided you have good throttle control the bike will remain on the same line until you counter steer back out.

That being said a lot of riders believe they need to put pressure on the inside bar and "counter-steer" all the way through the turn. What results is a series of corrections mid turn and a less than stable bike. Also, riders have a similar problem that you mention above in that they find themselves a bit stiff mid corner which can either cause them to continue to put pressure on the bar (or bars) or feel like they can't move or lean with the bike.

If you find yourself stiff and not able to relax mid corner then you need to figure out what is CAUSING you to not be able to relax. It could be body position (if you are not locked on well enough with your lower body then it becomes nearly impossible to relax your arms) or it could be visual. If you don't know where you are or where you are going, how can you relax?

When you find yourself stiff and tense mid corner try to figure out what is going on that is making you feel that way and adjust until you are able to remain relaxed mid corner. Sometimes slowing your speed down a bit helps and you can gradually build your speed back up.

Remember that you only want to steer the bike once as well so if you feel like you need to make an adjustment (because you are running wide or off line or whatever) you should take a look at where you are turning the bike.

*** if you can walk me through a particular corner that you are having these issues with and tell me what you do, where you turn, what you look at, what you think etc....I can try to help you a bit more :)

Misti

While you are putting your body lower towards the inside of the corner you are counter steering at the same time.

Not always. If you have really good Body Position and are very stable with your lower body you can move your upper body lower and towards the inside without putting pressure on the inside bar and without altering your lean angle. There is a technique we teach at the superbike school call the "hook turn" which is used if a rider is already at max lean angle (knee on the deck, leaned right over) and is running a bit wide or needs to tighten up the turn. You don't want to lean the bike over any farther by putting any pressure on the inside bar and risking running off edge of the tires so you move your upper body over and down and that helps to "hook" the bike into the turn a little bit. The line tightens without changing lean angle.

Again in order to do this you need to be stable with your lower body so you can keep weight OFF the inside bar.

Misti