View Full Version : Just for the ladies - Women's only riding school.

JeffM
April 4th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Yamaha Champions Riding School Women only (http://millermotorsportspark.com/riding-school/yamaha-champions-riding-school/women-only.html)

Just for the ladies.

Darling Ninja
April 4th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Looks cool, but I think I am going to this one:

http://www.classrides.com/women.html

Alex
April 4th, 2011, 12:55 PM
/moved to riding skills :thumbup:

CC Cowboy
April 4th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Sexual discrimination

caps
April 4th, 2011, 02:48 PM
for $2300 they can discriminate all they want cause im not going...

CC Cowboy
April 4th, 2011, 04:21 PM
for $2300 they can discriminate all they want cause im not going...

Do you know who the instructors are? Sounds cheap to me. Besides it's a sleep over, in a dorm setting, with fast women.

kkim
April 4th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Do you know who the instructors are? Sounds cheap to me.

dunno... sounds like a bunch of no names to me.
http://millermotorsportspark.com/riding-school/related-information/instructors.html

Alex
April 4th, 2011, 06:08 PM
dunno... sounds like a bunch of no names to me.

More background info here (http://www.yamahachampionsridingschool.com/yamaha-champions-riding-school-instructors), but basically all of these guys came from Freddie Spencer's school, which was widely acclaimed to have the best instruction available at any price here in the US.

Nick is the guy who wrote The Pace, ran Freddie's school for years, developed much of the curriculum there, and is widely respected as a fantastic teacher.

Ken is an uber-fast guy here on the west coast, tops in AFM for a good long while. By all accounts an incredible teacher, does good business in one-on-one training and other small groups with a number of race schools and trackday schools.

The other bios speak for themselves, but the school also has guest instructors along for the ride. Spies, Hayes, Disalvo and others have spent time at the Yamaha school, so you might just get lucky if the timing is right. I had planned to get to Freddie's school at some point, but it looks like its reincarnation in this form will have to do...

JeffM
April 4th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Nick Ienatsch also wrote Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track (http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Riding-Techniques-Develop-Confidence/dp/1893618072)

You may have a copy in your bookcase. :D

cynicalkit
April 10th, 2011, 01:25 PM
interesting... how does this differ from a regular school? is this less aggressive or simplified somehow?

JeffM
April 11th, 2011, 06:07 AM
interesting... how does this differ from a regular school? is this less aggressive or simplified somehow?

I believe it is the same curriculum as the regular school, just ladies only.

Jeff

Too40gawlf
April 13th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Not to derail the thread... but in their driving school portion they have a 3 day course with intensive instruction :drool: :rock:

... but it costs $3,995. :(

Misti
April 13th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I believe it is the same curriculum as the regular school, just ladies only.

Jeff

Thoughts from women here about whether or not they would prefer to do a ladies only type of class or just stick to the regular classes that schools offer. Are there things that should be different when coaching women as opposed to men?

Misti

JeffM
April 13th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Thoughts from women here about whether or not they would prefer to do a ladies only type of class or just stick to the regular classes that schools offer. Are there things that should be different when coaching women as opposed to men?

Misti

I wouldn't think so.

Misti, what are your thoughts?

Jeff

Zombiphone
April 13th, 2011, 10:39 PM
You know, I've never understood the ladies only thing. I've seen it a couple times before, but with the exception of guaranteed smaller numbers, I just don't see what difference it makes in being able to learn. On the track, proper riding is proper riding and getting passed by or following a man or a woman is about as notable as following or passing someone with red leathers over blue. Off the track, I've never had difficulty discussing riding technique with someone based on gender.

I don't know. The reason I was at first intimidated by the track when I was finally looking to sign up for my first trackday had nothing to do with it being a male dominated sport and everything to do with it being a racetrack where I might feel I should be riding over my head. More a fear of not being good enough than anything else. Which is the same reason I'm struggling to muster up the courage to try out a new racers school and take my riding to the next level right now. Offering NRS with women only would absolutely not change that perspective.

I guess I'm just missing the point?

Misti
April 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't think so.

Misti, what are your thoughts?

Jeff

No, coaching is the same regardless of whether I'm coaching a man or a women. The basics are the basics and throttle control is throttle control regardless of gender. The bike doesn't know the difference so there need not be different coaching techniques in my opinion.

There are things that some women may encounter or struggle with more than men, such as being physically smaller and not touching the ground as well but this is not always the case and need not be address as a women/man thing but just as a "you're smaller" so you may need to do this as opposed to that, kind of thing.

I understand that some women find it very intimidating to be surrounded my men and I appreciate the fact that these women may find it more comfortable to participate in a track day or riding school with a group of women but I think that in general, a good riding school will make them feel comfortable as "riders" whether they are the only female in the group or whether the entire group is made up of women.

Misti

JeffM
April 14th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks Misti, I agree with you 100%

I originally posted the link to the class because I thought some of the ladies here might be interested. No more, no less.

Jeff

Misti
April 14th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Thanks Misti, I agree with you 100%

I originally posted the link to the class because I thought some of the ladies here might be interested. No more, no less.

Jeff

:) No worries. I'm sure you are right and that some will find the link helpful.

Cheers!

Misti

TnNinjaGirl
April 24th, 2011, 12:03 AM
In general I think women who ride motorcycles are not really intimidated by men. Also, he instructors are men which kind of negates the whole "women only" thing. It's a cute idea and I'm sure plenty of women will attend, but I don't think it is a crazy cool new thing that will catch on.

Oh, ya, it's also cool to show up a guy every once in awhile. ;)

GeorgiaHooligan
May 8th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Who doesnt like to teach a woman how to ride? hehe :P