View Full Version : WMMRA - Aftermarket Cycles Ninja 250 Cup - Pacific Raceways Kent, WA

aftermarketcycles
April 5th, 2011, 01:38 PM
My name is Mark Yeoman from Aftermarket Cycles (Parts and Accessory Dealer in Seattle, WA) we are sponsoring the Aftermarket Cycles Ninja 250 Cup Class with the Washington Motorcycle Road Racing Association.

We had our first race of the season last weekend and it was a great success with 18 riders and more are expected to join later. We are proud to sponsor this class because of what it stands for. Offering a chance for new racers to learn the fundamentals, ride safer and more affordable racing.

Here is a overview of the class and first race:

2010 proved to be a dismal season for Washington Motorcycle Road Racing Association novice racers. After 8 rounds and 16 Novice races, all but 2 ended in red flags, culminating in the fatal accident at Spokane Raceway Park that took the life of promising young racer, Kahlil Mohmed.

In the aftermath of that accident, several conversations took place amongst WMRRA officials, searching for a more productive way to teach a new racer the fine art of motorcycle road racing. All agreed that 600cc and larger machines are just too fast for most new racers to learn on. When alternatives were sought, the idea of racing Kawasaki 250 Ninja’s was suggested. It seemed like a great idea, but it was clear the officials involved would have to ante up and build 250 Ninja racers themselves to showcase the idea.

So it was at the last round of the 2010 season, WMRRA held a demonstration 250 Ninja race with machines fielded by the WMRRA Referee, 1st VP, Chief Tech inspector, 2 Tech Inspectors, and a WMRRA vintage racer. The racing was close, the crowd of spectators loved it, and WMRRA racers immediately started buying all the used 250 Ninjas that were available locally. Maybe we were onto something here.

Over the winter the Rules Committee convened, and a set of rules for the 2 new classes were drawn up. These rules closely mirror those of other clubs, such as WSMC and WERA. It was decided to include expert racers as well as novices, so the new racers could safely learn their craft from experienced racers. The bikes would need to be nearly stock except for tires, exhaust, shocks, and fork springs. This would be a rider’s class, with an emphasis on safety and cost savings.

On April 3, 2011, the two new classes made their debut. Leo Vince Corsa Twins/Ultra Lightweight Sportsman and Aftermarket Cycles 250 Ninja Cup saw 18 entries. The racing was very close and hard fought, with Tim O’Mahony narrowly edging out Adam Faussett in both races. The events proved very popular with spectators and racers, and the future for the series looks much brighter than the April skies of WMRRA Round 1.

Congratulations to all 18 racers involved, including 4 novice racers. Special thanks to Aftermarket Cycles, Leo Vince and the Pacific Northwest Kawasaki Dealers for stepping up and sponsoring the new classes.

I look forward to a exciting season of racing.

Alex
April 5th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Great post Mark, and great news to hear about the new classes for our favorite lightweight bikes. We have a section here on the site dedicated to folks racing our 250's, I'll move this over there. :thumbup:

/thread moved to Ninjettes At Speed

kkim
April 5th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Mark,

I think using the 250 as a starting class for racing is a great idea. :thumbup:

As the idea catches on and more people participate, can you please consider, besides the class with build rules applied, a new class that would allow unlimited modifications to engine and chassis (perhaps with the exclusion of NOS or FI engines)? I think it would bode well for the ninjette if people were allowed to use their imagination and ingenuity and could be the start of an entirely new aftermarket outlet for these seemingly docile bikes.

Thanks for your efforts.
:)

ztrack157
April 5th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Congrats on the first weekend. It sounds like it will do well this season. Looks like Kawi's ringer had somes issues with his bike. My phone was off the hook Saturday and Sunday with WMMRA guys calling me. I'm bringing my boys up in a month or two for a little fun.

kingkang204
April 5th, 2011, 03:31 PM
MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN,
I really wanted to go, I didn't know it had already started till I trolled the WMMRA forum yesterday. Does the ninja cup accept late entries, I won't be able to race until I get all my gear together but I'm really determined to make it.

steadyeddie
April 10th, 2011, 08:25 AM
MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN,
I really wanted to go, I didn't know it had already started till I trolled the WMMRA forum yesterday. Does the ninja cup accept late entries, I won't be able to race until I get all my gear together but I'm really determined to make it.

If you have your license you can enter at any time during the season. Get your sh#t together and come join us; next race weekend is in 3 weeks ( Apr 30/1)

CC Cowboy
April 10th, 2011, 08:44 AM
SB, I remember you racing back in the 80's. It's good to see you're at it again.

What is a 2000SVSuperbike? I've neve heard of this Superbike before!

steadyeddie
April 10th, 2011, 08:51 AM
CC, think you got the wrong guy. Didn't start racing till 02. Old enough to have raced in the 80's though!

SV Superbike = 2000 SV650, 318 lbs, 95+hp, only thing stock is the frame.

CC Cowboy
April 10th, 2011, 06:06 PM
CC, think you got the wrong guy. Didn't start racing till 02. Old enough to have raced in the 80's though!

SV Superbike = 2000 SV650, 318 lbs, 95+hp, only thing stock is the frame.

You mean there are two Steady Eddies? Sorry for the mix up.

So you not racing the SV in the Superbike class, it's just a "super" bike?

kingkang204
April 10th, 2011, 07:00 PM
If you have your license you can enter at any time during the season. Get your sh#t together and come join us; next race weekend is in 3 weeks ( Apr 30/1)

Nevermind haha, I dont think I'll have everything set in time to race. I plan on just doing a track day instead.

steadyeddie
April 10th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Of course I race it in the sb class, LWSBK. As for steadyeddie, I'm not the REAL steadyeddie, just a HUGE fan. We're about the same age and have the same name, just have different credentials.

On a side note, Huge props to Mark for getting involved with WMRRA and supporting the 250 class. And thanks for the deal on the tires.

CC Cowboy
April 11th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Lawson was one of my favorites also.

Bueller999
May 3rd, 2011, 05:50 AM
This is the same thing we did with the MRA in Colorado. This weekend is our first official race with the new "Production 250" class. So far there is at least 15 pre entries. We are running double headers each weekend, racing both Sat. and Sun.
We also had exhibition races at the last weekend of 2010, my totally stock Ninjette got stomped but it is in better shape now :D