View Full Version : Youtube tags

CynicalC
April 13th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Wouldn't it be easier if it was just [y] instead of [youtube]?

rockNroll
April 14th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Lets find out :thumbup:

rockNroll
April 14th, 2011, 02:35 PM
.[youtube]

rockNroll
April 14th, 2011, 02:35 PM
.[y]

rockNroll
April 14th, 2011, 02:36 PM
yep,[y] is easier.

CZroe
April 15th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Or [yhd]. :)

Alex
April 16th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I like them as "youtube", only because it's that much easier for all of the others that are set up the same way (like "smugmug", "vimeo", "hulu", and a few others). I did combine the code a few weeks ago for youtube and youtubehd, so they both do the exact same thing at this point.

scotty
April 16th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I like them as "youtube", only because it's that much easier for all of the others that are set up the same way (like "smugmug", "vimeo", "hulu", and a few others). I did combine the code a few weeks ago for youtube and youtubehd, so they both do the exact same thing at this point.

:allhail: Alex thinks ahead!

CZroe
April 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM
FWIW, I hate the forums that automatically recognize YT links and make embedded videos out of them. For example, I tried to make some of my text link to a YT video on Kawiforums and it not only converted the link to a video and split my paragraph down the middle but it also completely hid the text in between my [URL=] tags. Of course, it's possible to make the automatic embed recognize when it's inside URL tags and NOT embed, so I don't know why they didn't think of that (it couldn't be too hard).

CynicalC
April 17th, 2011, 01:03 AM
FWIW, I hate the forums that automatically recognize YT links and make embedded videos out of them. For example, I tried to make some of my text link to a YT video on Kawiforums and it not only converted the link to a video and split my paragraph down the middle but it also completely hid the text in between my [URL=] tags. Of course, it's possible to make the automatic embed recognize when it's inside URL tags and NOT embed, so I don't know why they didn't think of that (it couldn't be too hard).

True, it was most likely just overlooked. Wouldn't hurt to tell the forum admin. Also, I didn't know we had vimeo and hulu tags here. Is there a list somewhere?

Alex
April 17th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Sticky thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5900) at the top of the videos section, and/or "bbcode" link (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode) at the bottom of the page when you are editing a thread/post.

Alex
April 17th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Of course, it's possible to make the automatic embed recognize when it's inside URL tags and NOT embed, so I don't know why they didn't think of that (it couldn't be too hard).

It might be harder than you think. The bbcode replacement code in vbulletin looks for x and replaces it with y; it's pretty basic. Coding it up so that the x shouldn't work if it's between z would require adding custom code that many folks would avoid (and would require additional work every time the forum software was updated).