View Full Version : Bike dying on me at stoplight ...

Davis937
April 17th, 2011, 12:59 AM
OK ... I'm definitely a noob so probably not doing something right. Even when my bike is properly warmed up (... say I've been riding for 20 - 30 minutes), I've had a problem with my engine dying when I'm stuck at a stop light. Normally, I'm in first gear with the clutch fully engaged at the stop ... a couple of times the engine went off (like I switched on the kill switch). On a couple of other occasions (long light) ... I was waiting in neutral for the light change when the engine died. In both those situations, I was able to start the bike up quickly before the light changed (definitely stressed out though). I get anxious with this because I deal with some hills and traffic lights (so I worry about rolling backwards if I end up losing my friction zone -- if the engine dies). These engine dying incidents happen only occasionally, but it's definitely in my head now to the point that I try to keep my throttle revved while I'm waiting for light changes. Was wondering if I need to have my bike looked at ... any suggestions or comments are welcome. BTW ... I have a 2007 ninja ... just bought it three weeks ago used ... haven't had a mechanic look at it yet. Thanks!

kkim
April 17th, 2011, 01:52 AM
what rpm does your bike idle at?

lumi
April 17th, 2011, 09:01 AM
My bike does a similar thing. It will sometimes die if I stop at a light, even when warm. I've started to blip the throttle very little right when I stop to get the rpm's momentarily up to 2000 or so. After that even if I let it idle normally it won't die.

bluesinorbit
April 17th, 2011, 11:05 AM
OK ... I'm definitely a noob so probably not doing something right. Even when my bike is properly warmed up (... say I've been riding for 20 - 30 minutes), I've had a problem with my engine dying when I'm stuck at a stop light. Normally, I'm in first gear with the clutch fully engaged at the stop ... a couple of times the engine went off (like I switched on the kill switch). On a couple of other occasions (long light) ... I was waiting in neutral for the light change when the engine died. In both those situations, I was able to start the bike up quickly before the light changed (definitely stressed out though). I get anxious with this because I deal with some hills and traffic lights (so I worry about rolling backwards if I end up losing my friction zone -- if the engine dies). These engine dying incidents happen only occasionally, but it's definitely in my head now to the point that I try to keep my throttle revved while I'm waiting for light changes. Was wondering if I need to have my bike looked at ... any suggestions or comments are welcome. BTW ... I have a 2007 ninja ... just bought it three weeks ago used ... haven't had a mechanic look at it yet. Thanks!

I didn't think it was possible to keep the clutch fully engaged at a stop. I would think the engine would die just from that. I hope that was a typo.

As for the second thing, it sounds like a fuel problem. Were you low on fuel and/or stopped downhill? In any case, you should get a mechanic to diagnose it.

You don't need to worry about rolling back. Use the rear brake lightly to keep the bike from rolling back and give it a little extra gas. You can do the same thing in a car with the emergency brake.

Davis937
April 17th, 2011, 05:52 PM
what rpm does your bike idle at?

Hey Kelly ... the idle is about 1100 - 1200. What do you think ...

Davis937
April 17th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I didn't think it was possible to keep the clutch fully engaged at a stop. I would think the engine would die just from that. I hope that was a typo.

As for the second thing, it sounds like a fuel problem. Were you low on fuel and/or stopped downhill? In any case, you should get a mechanic to diagnose it.

You don't need to worry about rolling back. Use the rear brake lightly to keep the bike from rolling back and give it a little extra gas. You can do the same thing in a car with the emergency brake.

Nah ... my tank is almost 3/4 full so not a fuel problem. Yeah, I'm thinking about taking it in to the shop. Oops ... a newbie error ... yes, occasionally I do have the clutch fully engaged when I'm at a light (other times I'm just right near the friction zone with the clutch).

kkim
April 17th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Hey Kelly ... the idle is about 1100 - 1200. What do you think ...

as a test, try raising the idle to 1500rpm and see if it changes anything.

Is the clutch cable adjusted correctly, that is, when you have the lever fully pulled in, the bike doesn't try to creep forward does it? Also, you should have about 1/8" of free play at the clutch lever. do you?

CynicalC
April 17th, 2011, 11:11 PM

I think it's obvious that he means the bike is in gear with the clutch lever pulled, or "engaged"

Davis937
April 17th, 2011, 11:54 PM
as a test, try raising the idle to 1500rpm and see if it changes anything.

Is the clutch cable adjusted correctly, that is, when you have the lever fully pulled in, the bike doesn't try to creep forward does it? Also, you should have about 1/8" of free play at the clutch lever. do you?

Hi Kelly and thanks for the information (... thanks to all of you for your comments!). I'll try to raise the idle to 1500 rpm (wish me luck ... I'm a definite klutz mechanically). yes, the clutch cable appears to be adjusted correctly and there seems to be sufficient clutch lever free play. I'll get back to you re raising the idle ...

Davis937
April 17th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I think it's obvious that he means the bike is in gear with the clutch lever pulled, or "engaged"

Hey Cynical C ... correct ... the bike was in first gear when the clutch was fully engaged. Thanks!

kkim
April 18th, 2011, 01:10 AM
I'll try to raise the idle to 1500 rpm (wish me luck ... I'm a definite klutz mechanically).

here's how...

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=272055&postcount=5

Davis937
April 18th, 2011, 01:21 AM
here's how...

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=272055&postcount=5

Thanks, Kelly ... you're always really helpful. Mahalo!