View Full Version : Build your skills one ride at a time: streetSkills flash-cards

jdelv
April 23rd, 2011, 05:50 AM
Great topic here. There are many reasons to build your riding skills. The top two are probably so you have more fun and avoid injury.

I recently introduced a set of spiral bound flash cards used to build good riding skills and habits. They are designed for all riders, but newer riders probably could benefit the most from use.

For the price of a fill-up you can have this great resource in your tankbag. Check out the cards at http://www.streetSkills.NET

Enjoy the ride...

-Jon D.
streetSkills Creator
New '03 EX250 owner also!

Snake
April 23rd, 2011, 07:28 AM
Those cars are a great idea. Everyone needs to practice every time they ride to improve and maintain their skills.

gfloyd2002
April 26th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Welcome to the site, Jon. We're happy you found us! The cards are a good idea, and we can always use more focus on riding skills.

I'm a bit concerned about a new user coming in selling something on your first visit, though, as it might be interpreted as commercial exploitation of the site rather than coming in as an uber friendly place to hang. I suggest popping these up into the Marketplace section of the site, which has a 50 post minimum before you sell to avoid the site being overrun by non-users. That limit is there to protect the site, and the specialized market section is there to give a forum for users who have wares to sell, while protecting the rest of the site from ads.

No offense meant, of course. Happy to see these cards exist, and even happier to have another safety & skills conscious ninjette rider join ninjette.org.

setasai
April 26th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Cool. I would be particularly interested in a set of cards that would outline different drills and how to set them up with cones so that you can practice them in parking lots. I loved the MSF course for having so many different drills but once I got home, I couldnt figure out how to setup the course since I had no idea what usual distances and cone locations were.

jdelv
April 27th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Cool. I would be particularly interested in a set of cards that would outline different drills and how to set them up with cones so that you can practice them in parking lots. I loved the MSF course for having so many different drills but once I got home, I couldnt figure out how to setup the course since I had no idea what usual distances and cone locations were.

I hear you about the parking lot set-up info. streetSkills cards are designed more for "on-road" or "real-world" use. Part of the reason for this is that several good resources already exist to do what you want:

-You can use tennis balls cut in half or buy small cones to use for layout.
-Total Control by Lee Parks gives parking lot exercises with layouts.
-A cheaper alternative is to go to https://store.msf-usa.org/Store/StoreItems.aspx and buy You and Your Motorcycle-RidingTips for $2.50. This will give you some parking lot practice set ups at the end. It's a good and inexpensive option for what you want to do.

Practice is important to develop skills, whether in a parking lot or "riding with a purpose", which means that you conciously develop skills while you ride.

-Jon