View Full Version : Finally got my knee down....

karlosdajackal
April 26th, 2011, 12:09 AM
....found a nice deserted roundabout or 20 on Sunday morning (easter holidays mean I was the only person up and about) and finally got my knee to touch down for a split second. I'm amazed how far you can crank this thing over and it keeps giving, I was close before but what finally did it was getting my head out past the mirror in stead of in-line with it. :thumbup:

One thing I will say about roundabout is its hard to find a clean one, for the most part the gravel and dirt gets pushed out to the far edge, but occasionally you find if 3 of the in/outs are constantly used there will be a line of dirt/gravel from the 4th exit to the centre, you don't want to go through that with more than 30 degrees on, I have a few times and the front will slide for a bit. So always do a recon run or two around the whole thing before you even think about it.

I'm only 5'8" but with really short legs, my little legs are almost 4 inches shorter than normal so this may have been harder for me, but the sheer speed you have to go to get anywhere near a touchdown is ridiculous. Won't be doing that on a public road again anytime soon. Local track has sessions in July for new riders (to the track anyway) might sign up for that.

Go on share your knee down thoughts/stories.....

setasai
April 26th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Farthest I've leaned is when the sides of my shoes scraped the pavement for a split second.

kkim
April 26th, 2011, 12:32 AM
if you ride on the street, I see no practical need for it.

karlosdajackal
April 26th, 2011, 12:59 AM
if you ride on the street, I see no practical need for it.

Well if you ride normally, but find yourself too hot in a turn, its nice to know you still have some room left to lean further, apart from that I agree, its not "needed" :cool:

dino74
April 26th, 2011, 01:04 AM
The first time dragging knee is an amazing experience. But don't be one of the persons who's riding all crossed up, hanging their @ss off just to get a knee down. My first time was when I was taking level 2 of California Superbike School. Something just clicked and I started to drag knee through corners without really trying. Definitely, save it for the track and just focus on mental preparation (Turn points, looking through the turn, etc) and good form. It will come naturally.:thumbup:

Cab305
April 26th, 2011, 01:21 AM
I got to about 4 inches on my first good track day. If my body position would have been better, for sure would have touched. Looking forward to next months track day.

gfloyd2002
April 26th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Does knee down in a getoff count? :p

jstrain
April 26th, 2011, 05:41 AM
I finally managed it for the first time at Jennings a few months ago. I was there with my Aprilia, but took a friend's 250 out. After a few laps, it just clicked in a right-hand sweeper. I was like :D inside my helmet!

After that, it just seemed easier. I borrowed a Kawi 636 and got a knee down on that. The next day, I even managed it on the Ape, which is a much taller bike. I was pretty happy.

karlosdajackal
April 26th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Does knee down in a getoff count? :p

If you got back on without coming to a stop it does :D

Nemesis
April 26th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I'z scurred of kneedragging. http://www.socalmoto.org/forum/images/smilies/ohno.gif

CC Cowboy
April 26th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I did it for the first time 29 years ago. I don't think I have ever done it on the street though. I'm not that fast on the street to ever need too.

Zombiphone
April 26th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I did it for the first time last year on Halloween weekend through turn 3 at Streets of Willow (An incredibly fun, sort of off camber, double apex left hander. My personal favorite on that track and the easiest spot to pass people on the outside for me :p). I was running in B group since they didn't have a C group that day, and it oddly made me push harder and faster than ever. Dragged it through that corner a couple times that day. I haven't dragged it since though, but as long as I'm making the corner, I admittedly don't really care whether my knee is sliding across the pavement or not.

That said, the only time I ever dragged on the street, my shoulder, helmet, leg, and bike were all dragging with it. I'm too much of a pussy to knee drag outside a closed circuit :ohno:

sowega
April 26th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I finally managed it for the first time at Jennings a few months ago. I was there with my Aprilia, but took a friend's 250 out. After a few laps, it just clicked in a right-hand sweeper. I was like :D inside my helmet!

After that, it just seemed easier. I borrowed a Kawi 636 and got a knee down on that. The next day, I even managed it on the Ape, which is a much taller bike. I was pretty happy.

Turn 13? That's where I first touched mine down about 10 years ago on my ZX7R.

That's a great track.

Regarding the topic: if you're dragging your knees on a public road, you're probably riding like a jackass.

TnNinjaGirl
April 26th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I've had my knee down a couple times at the Dragon. I love the feeling of having the bike about as far as it will go on its side. The 600 and liter guys drop their jaws when they see "a little 250" moving just like their bikes.

I don't drag knee on the street otherwise, and I have not been fortunate enough to go to a track day yet.

sowega
April 26th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I've had my knee down a couple times at the Dragon. I love the feeling of having the bike about as far as it will go on its side. The 600 and liter guys drop their jaws when they see "a little 250" moving just like their bikes.

I don't drag knee on the street otherwise, and I have not been fortunate enough to go to a track day yet.

Those 600 & 1K riders also get a little redfaced when they get passed by a 70cc Yamaha Zuma going down the Dragon :thumbup:

rockNroll
April 26th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I'z scurred of kneedragging. http://www.socalmoto.org/forum/images/smilies/ohno.gif

:whathesaid:

oroboros
April 26th, 2011, 11:06 AM
It sure seems like a destination. A defining moment when everything comes together and your body position right. Perhaps someday I will and it would be nice if it was on a track. I am really trying to concentrate on throttle control and body position with out worrying about getting a knee down but I am noticing that the feelers on my footpegs are getting worn. sssssccrraaaaap.

tac12345
April 26th, 2011, 11:07 AM
sport demon is enough to drag knee ?

sowega
April 26th, 2011, 11:57 AM
It sure seems like a destination. A defining moment when everything comes together and your body position right. Perhaps someday I will and it would be nice if it was on a track. I am really trying to concentrate on throttle control and body position with out worrying about getting a knee down but I am noticing that the feelers on my footpegs are getting worn. sssssccrraaaaap.

Take those feelers off; they'll dig into the pavement and possibly upset the bike.

oroboros
April 26th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Take those feelers off; they'll dig into the pavement and possibly upset the bike.

I figured that they should go but was not sure. Thanks for the tip.

sowega
April 26th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I figured that they should go but was not sure. Thanks for the tip.

No worries; that's the first thing I've done to every bike I've bought since dragging them and nearly wrecking my 5 day-old ex500 back in the day. :thumbup:

cynicalkit
April 26th, 2011, 12:18 PM
:thumbup:

gfloyd2002
April 26th, 2011, 01:21 PM
If you got back on without coming to a stop it does :D

Well, that would be a no then. On the bright side, I've dragged a forehead. A much more exclusive club. :p

Regarding the topic: if you're dragging your knees on a public road, you're probably riding like a jackass.

+1.

TnNinjaGirl
April 26th, 2011, 01:46 PM
sport demon is enough to drag knee ?

Tires? The stock IRC's work fine.

jstrain
April 26th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Turn 13? That's where I first touched mine down about 10 years ago on my ZX7R.

:thumbup:

Domagoj
April 26th, 2011, 11:50 PM

Is it not better to drag foldable feelers instead of exhaust, or kickstand? Are they not there to tell you enough lean or you will drag solid parts?

rockNroll
April 27th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Is it not better to drag foldable feelers instead of exhaust, or kickstand? Are they not there to tell you enough lean or you will drag solid parts?

There is room to lean after the feelers scrape and, for me, I spend a lot of my mountain riding time in the zone where the feelers would be dragging. I ride with a lot of elevation changes. Turning while on a steep incline/decline makes for an off camber situation and a loss of leaning clearance.

The exhaust will touch down, I replaced the chrome cover where the muffler joins the pipe because it was rashed bad. I've never touched the kickstand down but I did catch the front of the kickstand mount a couple times so I cut the leading edge of it off... there's no kickstand switch now.

Green Streak
April 27th, 2011, 04:32 AM
I used to do it on the street over 20 years ago... back when I was invincible and knew everything. ;)

sowega
April 27th, 2011, 05:36 AM

The problem with those feelers is that they're more pointed; when they hit the asphalt, they dig in more than something flat (like the exhaust, etc), which can dramatically upset the bike.

Of course, this is just advice on the internet, and your results may vary. :thumbup:

oroboros
April 27th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Of course, this is just advice on the internet, and your results may vary. :thumbup:

lol :thumbup:

tac12345
April 29th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Tires? The stock IRC's work fine.

kkim
April 29th, 2011, 03:45 PM

I wouldn't take that as a ringing endorsement for the IRCs.

tac12345
April 29th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't take that as a ringing endorsement for the IRCs.

Don't worry, I have the sport demon :)

TnNinjaGirl
April 29th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Ya, I don't feel super confident with the IRC's, but technically it is possible to lean all the way over on them.

ally99
April 29th, 2011, 04:53 PM

LMAO!! Right next to that GREAT avatar pic! :D