View Full Version : 11,000rpm+

Yasko
April 27th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I now have around 2500 miles under my belt, and I'm just now running the bike over 9,000rpm... What a blast it is to ride up in the 11,000+ rpm range...:plane:

The lil ninja is very stable on the highway when you lay on the tank at 90mph(gps speed)...:whistle:

Great bike to learn how to ride.. Thank God I only have 25hp...:pray:

kkim
April 27th, 2011, 10:12 PM
What a blast it is to ride up in the 11,000+ rpm range...:plane:

no kidding. :D

Cab305
April 27th, 2011, 11:44 PM
You have to try it at the track, it's even more fun, when you turn!

JeffM
April 28th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Just wait till you suprise yourself by bouncing off the rpm limiter :confused::eek::D

Jeff

LoneRonin
April 28th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Just wait till you suprise yourself by bouncing off the rpm limiter :confused::eek::D

Jeff

now thats a certain way of knowing you're ready for an upgrade...when you're going through the twisty sections full throttle bouncing off the limiter, in every gear. If you can't ride like that, no need to upgrade.

rockNroll
April 28th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Wow, you waited a long time!

Yasko
April 28th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Wow, you waited a long time!

I don't want to ride over my head...:nono: I never thought I'd own a motorcycle, so I have to be careful...:pray2:

It's more fun to ride a small bike hard, than to ride a big bike slow...:thumbup:

onizthegnome
April 28th, 2011, 09:47 AM
what happens when you bounce off the rev limiter?

bdavison
April 28th, 2011, 12:53 PM
It goes rwentwaateetwaaatwaaaa...and it wont go any faster. :D

rockNroll
April 28th, 2011, 01:15 PM
It goes rwentwaateetwaaatwaaaa...and it wont go any faster. :D

exactly this :whathesaid:

bluepoof
April 28th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I keep thinking I'm running out of gas or something only to look down and, nope, just hit the limiter again. :lol:

cuong-nutz
April 28th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I didn't do your typical break-in and rode it like I stole it. This bike loves the high revs :)

Bols
April 28th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I didn't do your typical break-in and rode it like I stole it. This bike loves the high revs :)
Indeed, these engines loves revs! The break-in suggested in the manual seems way too modest rpm-wise, and too long. Seems to me they just print the same numbers on everything from choppers and offroad bikes to racingbikes. In my manual, it said 4k rpm in the beginning. And the highway home from the bike shop is 80km/h, which means there is no way to keep the bike under 4k rpm, i mean the bike doesn't even pull below 5-6k rpm! But using abit common sense is good, not going all out on a cold engine.

Green Streak
April 28th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Yeah, the break-in RPM is rediculous, if you have to go on any highways at all you have to go over the recommended RPMs. You could stick to just secondary roads, but that is just not very realistic.

aristurtle
April 28th, 2011, 04:40 PM
My bike seems to burn oil once I start going above 10,000. Not that that stops me! But keep an eye on it and top it off as needed, especially if you start smelling burning oil every time you slow down.

Yasko
April 28th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I keep thinking I'm running out of gas or something only to look down and, nope, just hit the limiter again. :lol:

Wow, by the end of summer I'll be at that point...:thumbup:

GeorgiaHooligan
May 10th, 2011, 05:19 PM
You know every kawasaki is redlined during testing before its released for sales and shipped.

kkim
May 10th, 2011, 05:35 PM
You know every kawasaki is redlined during testing before its released for sales and shipped.

proof?

bdavison
May 10th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Its true, the first thing kawasaki does after it rolls off the assembly line is to ride it right into a dyno at the end of the assembly line, and redline the shiz out of it. They do it with every bike from the 250R all the way up to the 14's.

They also record the results with the VIN number for every bike. So if the bike ever comes back for some reason, they can pull up what it did on the dyno at assembly, and it gives them data to either fix design,mechanical, or engineering problems.

Live2ride
May 10th, 2011, 06:42 PM
proof?

I actually watched a documentary on this. They showed how they make a few of the bikes from start to finish; It was interesting to watch. They showed clips of the people taking them straight off the end of the assembly line and they rode it over to the dyno, then they rode the shiz out of it. You could hear it rather clearly and the commentator even stated that they test the full extent of every gear before approving it. That enough proof for'ya? :p

kkim
May 10th, 2011, 07:05 PM
were they Kawasakis or some exotic, exclusive type bikes?

kkim
May 10th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Its true, the first thing kawasaki does after it rolls off the assembly line is to ride it right into a dyno at the end of the assembly line, and redline the shiz out of it. They do it with every bike from the 250R all the way up to the 14's.

They also record the results with the VIN number for every bike. So if the bike ever comes back for some reason, they can pull up what it did on the dyno at assembly, and it gives them data to either fix design,mechanical, or engineering problems.

not that I doubt you, but exactly how do you know this?

bdavison
May 10th, 2011, 07:19 PM
The easiest way to verify what we are saying is to watch the "twist of the wrist" documentary specifically about kawasaki. They show it at the end of the show, and talk about it.

I even tryed contacting kawasaki to get the dyno results from my bike, but they said they dont release them, they are only for internal use by the engineers and designers.

Each bike starts with a barcoded label that specifies the specific bike being built. They scan this barcode at every step of construction to ensure the right parts make it onto the bike, and that the right tools are used. At the end of the assembly line, special kawasaki employees start the bike, warm it up, ride it into the dyno, scan the barcode which loads up the dyno program for that specific bike, and then runs it through the dyno program.

The kawasaki rep told me they use it for a couple of reasons. It ensures consistancy across the bikes leaving the factory, they all have to be within specs or they pull the bike to find out what went wrong. Also they store the data so they can pull it up later if needed.

Live2ride
May 10th, 2011, 07:20 PM
were they Kawasakis or some exotic, exclusive type bikes?

It was a documentary on Kawasaki's history of their bikes, how they have evolved over the years and how they are/were made. I just found this video (http://www.streetfire.net/video/Kawasaki-Motorcycles_735450.htm), but my internet is too slow for me to watch much of it, I'm not sure if this is the same documentary I watched.

kkim
May 10th, 2011, 07:48 PM
lol... well, what do you know? they don't say they ride the shiz out of them... they simply warm up the bikes and dyno them according to the model. regardless, I didn't know they actually did that and stored the data. thanks for the link to the show. :thumbup:

really funny thing is, I said the exact thing about what they do on another forum years ago, just making stuff up off the top of my head, bs'ing about how they tested and stored the data of each new bike they built and kept records of it in a secret vault. who the hell know it was true! :D

guess this proves they put the strongest motors in the green bikes! :lol:

thanks... I learned something.

Yasko
May 10th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Good info...:thumbup:

Live2ride
May 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM
lol... well, what do you know? they don't say they ride the shiz out of them... they simply warm up the bikes and dyno them according to the model. regardless, I didn't know they actually did that and stored the data. thanks for the link to the show. :thumbup:

really funny thing is, I said the exact thing about what they do on another forum years ago, just making stuff up off the top of my head, bs'ing about how they tested and stored the data of each new bike they built and kept records of it in a secret vault. who the hell know it was true! :D

guess this proves they put the strongest motors in the green bikes! :lol:

thanks... I learned something.

Well, If that's the same documentary that I watched a few months back then I'm wrong. There...I admit it :p. Wishful thinking I guess :o. But I thought it was cool about the whole data thing, it makes a lot of sense too.

ock1
May 12th, 2011, 06:18 PM
That Twist of the Wrist documentary also said every Kawasaki was made in the Japan factory, when the 250's are actually built in Thailand.

kkim
May 12th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Yeah, but I'm sure mother Kawasaki dictates build and test procedures even though it's assembled in another country to retain quality control.

LoneRonin
May 12th, 2011, 07:28 PM
That Twist of the Wrist documentary also said every Kawasaki was made in the Japan factory, when the 250's are actually built in Thailand.

at the time it was filmed I don't even think the new 250r was rolling off the assembly line. Can anyone verify where the pregens were built?

coondog
May 17th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Change to Thailand is recent, twist of wrist is classic already. My pre-gen has a 14k redline. Originally the tachs. were marked as such and then one year 13k showed up with absolutely no variatons in bike fleets set-up. 11k rpm is just getting to where the bike wants to be all the time.

Yasko
May 17th, 2011, 08:28 PM
11k rpm is just getting to where the bike wants to be all the time.

Yea the bike is very stable at 11k+ when you lay on the tank...:thumbup:

This lil bike is a Big surprise to me... I have friends that got bigger bikes and they're still crawling around afraid of the power... They're tripping out that I can run 90mph+ already... They're afraid to even get on the highway, and we got our bikes a few weeks apart...

The lil Ninja is a great teacher...:thumbup:

vkuchhal
May 17th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I tried yesterday to rev the baby to 14.5 k rpm and the rev limiter did not set in..

any comments on that?

bluesinorbit
May 17th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I tried yesterday to rev the baby to 14.5 k rpm and the rev limiter did not set in..

any comments on that?

Engine damage much?

vkuchhal
May 18th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Engine damage much?

Not sure about it... but why didn't the rev limiter set in..?

almost40
May 18th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Was the motor hot? Was the outside temp hot? I would say that the tach reading is inaccurate by 1000 to 1500 rpm. Its a common problem on the new gens. Theres a few threads about the issue.

bluepoof
May 18th, 2011, 08:48 AM
What do you mean by "did not set in"? The needle stayed at 14.5 but the engine kept pulling past that?

coondog
May 18th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Yea the bike is very stable at 11k+ when you lay on the tank...:thumbup:

This lil bike is a Big surprise to me... I have friends that got bigger bikes and they're still crawling around afraid of the power... They're tripping out that I can run 90mph+ already... They're afraid to even get on the highway, and we got our bikes a few weeks apart...

The lil Ninja is a great teacher...:thumbup:

A GREAT teacher AND keeper. 11k is pretty much where most people I know (online) run her when possible, I thinks it maintains 80mph? there. And yeah, the dreaded head buffeting comes along. This dude Duke on ninja250.org developed a much higher screen years back, don't know what came of it. Do know double bubble came out after and the flocks went to them, never been behind either.
Make sure you don't forget how you were riding previously, continue varying your girls rpms, rpm shift points up and down, high speed runs and breaks, really work her up into a lather and then pull over into some shade or be home so she can cool down. Plus you'll be learning her braking patterns and your throttle pressures (for slowing or braking). I said one day I didn't do much of that and realized I'm doing it all the time, just on automatic from 6 years on my 05. Glad all is progressing, safely.

Yasko
May 18th, 2011, 09:46 PM
A GREAT teacher AND keeper. 11k is pretty much where most people I know (online) run her when possible, I thinks it maintains 80mph? there. And yeah, the dreaded head buffeting comes along. This dude Duke on ninja250.org developed a much higher screen years back, don't know what came of it. Do know double bubble came out after and the flocks went to them, never been behind either.
Make sure you don't forget how you were riding previously, continue varying your girls rpms, rpm shift points up and down, high speed runs and breaks, really work her up into a lather and then pull over into some shade or be home so she can cool down. Plus you'll be learning her braking patterns and your throttle pressures (for slowing or braking). I said one day I didn't do much of that and realized I'm doing it all the time, just on automatic from 6 years on my 05. Glad all is progressing, safely.

I think if I sold her I'd have such remorse... I'm just getting to find her g-spot.:thumbup: When I do, I'm gonna stroke her, and stroke her over, and over again...:hug:
Oh, and 65mpg...:partytime20:

Mizono
May 19th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I think if I sold her I'd have such remorse... I'm just getting to find her g-spot.:thumbup: When I do, I'm gonna stroke her, and stroke her over, and over again...:hug:
Oh, and 65mpg...:partytime20:

TMI ALERT TMI ALERT......wait you meant your bike!!!!! in that case carry on!!!

but seriously im learning mine too and boy the higher the RPM's the happier she is!!!

Yasko
June 7th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I did some speed runs this weekend... At one point I was running flat out at 12,000 rpms for about 3miles, and the speedo was reading 110mph... That was all the power I could squeeze out of her... The wind speed was about 5mph and calm...

When I look at the gps it was reading 98.9mph top speed...(fast enough for me)

mohns6062
June 7th, 2011, 11:14 AM
When does the rev limiter kick in?? I have a 2006 ZZR 250 that redlines at 13000 but it pushes past that 13000. I lost my nerve at about 13500ish... maybe 14000...

Yasko
June 7th, 2011, 08:08 PM
The bike would not go to 13k rpm... (I tried)

It ran easy just past 12k rpm... I'm 185- 190lbs in full gear...

GeorgiaHooligan
June 9th, 2011, 06:09 PM
:D YASKo, when your ready to go up on one, rev the lady up to 9krpm with the clutch pulled in then drop the clutch while giving some gas. Keep your right foot over the brake pedal. When you want to come back down, tap the rear brak gently.:thumbup:

greatwhiteninja
June 17th, 2011, 05:49 PM
the day i picked my bike up the guy who rode it out of the dealership and cleaned it up and all said try not going above 8k rpms until around 5-600 miles first oil change.. never riding a 250 i was like..ok! well i jump on the hwy about a mile down the road and im like this isnt gonna work.. with 3miles on the bike i was up in the 10k rpm just keeping up with traffic..loL!