View Full Version : First day at the track

cuong-nutz
May 1st, 2011, 03:45 PM
I rode with a local group out to Grand Sport Speedway just outside of Houston our local moto group. As expected, I was the only 250 guy amongst the big guys on the the ride to the track. It was fun still none the less and no one gave me crap about it.:cool:

It was my first time ever going to a track and experiencing a track day. I also saw Switch instructing a group which was cool. :thumbup: Being that I was still a novice rider with less than 800 miles of riding experience on the street and zero on the track, an instructor followed me throughout the laps to ensure safety. I was peg feeler scraping fiend on the turns at the track! On one incidence I was scraping so hard that it kind of dug into the pavement and caught and bumped my rear up but it didn't scare me or anything and I was just thinking to myself to get off the bike more. I've scraped the feelers before riding on the street but not this much ever! What was even funner was passing up the 600s on the turns. They would gun it on the straights where I would lose but I would win on the turns because they would slow down.

My bike is all stock with the exception of Vortex lowering links. that's how I bought it and I still need to raise it back up. I looked like my rear tire and it looks like I still have maybe 1/8" of contact patch not being used.

I highly recommend anyone who has the chance to make it out and do a track day! I know I was cheesing hard all day:D

edit: here's a photo of the track

http://grandsportspeedway.com/images/photos/Grandsport.jpg

rockNroll
May 1st, 2011, 04:14 PM
Good times! :thumbup:

Live2ride
May 1st, 2011, 04:23 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun! I hope I get the chance to ride on a track one day.:)

bob706
May 1st, 2011, 04:40 PM
That track looks like fun :thumbup:

CC Cowboy
May 1st, 2011, 06:32 PM
Looks like a blast waiting to happen!

cuong-nutz
May 2nd, 2011, 07:51 AM
Another 250 with us on the parade laps and me behind gettin ready to pass him up lol
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq109/christpower_2008/GSS%20430/SN150045.jpg

Me and my horrible body position
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq109/christpower_2008/GSS%20430/SN150054.jpg

rceezy
May 2nd, 2011, 07:54 AM
They let you wear jeans to the track day? I'm glad you had a good time, be careful scraping hard parts.

cuong-nutz
May 2nd, 2011, 01:36 PM
This was not an actual track day for me. If it were than we would be suited up full gear and lights taped up. We are actually doing parade laps on the track while the official track day folks take a lunch break. Parade laps allow individuals to get a taste of the track without paying. It's basically free advertising for track day organizers to get more people to partake in track days. The pace is controlled by the instructors and grid Marshall.

HKr1
May 2nd, 2011, 04:52 PM
^Thats pretty cool :thumbup:

Rexbo
May 2nd, 2011, 04:58 PM
and this is how money-sucking addictions are born

rceezy
May 4th, 2011, 04:49 PM
This was not an actual track day for me. If it were than we would be suited up full gear and lights taped up. We are actually doing parade laps on the track while the official track day folks take a lunch break. Parade laps allow individuals to get a taste of the track without paying. It's basically free advertising for track day organizers to get more people to partake in track days. The pace is controlled by the instructors and grid Marshall.

Ah, okay. I was confused at first. :0) Welcome to the addiction, man.

HKr1
May 4th, 2011, 05:59 PM
So, you gonna do more than a lunch filler now??

cuong-nutz
May 5th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I am hoping to. Hard right now with school, job, and bills bills bills. Saving up money for some leathers right now.

vkuchhal
May 5th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Congrats for your track run...

I have still not done mine and i have around 5000mile done.. Any tips to the first timers to the track??

cuong-nutz
May 5th, 2011, 03:47 PM
My advice - Have fun and ride within your limits. With smoothness comes speed :thumbup:

almost40
May 7th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Wish I could ride that track.
Looks like a 250 track if I ever seen one.

almost40
May 7th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Congrats for your track run...

I have still not done mine and i have around 5000mile done.. Any tips to the first timers to the track??

Relax, listen, learn and have fun.

vkuchhal
May 7th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks to all for the advice...

Xoulrath
May 8th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Glad you enjoyed the time you got on the track. That track looks very fun to ride.

I was talking track days with some guys at the local Cycle Gear yesterday, and apparently they can go to Talladega for pretty cheap. I may try to go with them later in the fall and "dip" my foot into the water. It was right at $100 a person if I remember what he said correctly.

backinthesaddleagain
May 9th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Doing my first one next month "up at the loudon". Looking forward to it.

cuong-nutz
May 9th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Glad you enjoyed the time you got on the track. That track looks very fun to ride.

I was talking track days with some guys at the local Cycle Gear yesterday, and apparently they can go to Talladega for pretty cheap. I may try to go with them later in the fall and "dip" my foot into the water. It was right at $100 a person if I remember what he said correctly.

Yeah, that's cheap! I'd hop on that deal

rockNroll
May 9th, 2011, 10:26 AM

Wow, that is cheap. When will it be? I've not been on little T on a 250, only 600's.

Xoulrath
May 10th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I think they were talking about September but nothing is set in stone at the moment. I just met one of the guys on Saturday. The other one I didn't really know, but I had spoken to him before when buying stuff.

If I get more information about it later, I will post it.