View Full Version : King Kenny - Wheelies anyone?

JeffM
May 8th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Kenny Roberts vs. Randy Mamola, 1985 Laguna Seca. The two of them were throwing wheelies to entertain the crowd during the race:D. All this at a very unsafe looking old school Laguna Seca riding 200hp, two stroke, 500cc race bikes. :cool:

No wonder these guys are legends.

Dubbed in Japanese

J7_WAeCe8oE

Second heat. More wheelie antics and Kenny explains why. (Kenny's shift lever breaks off at 4:10-ish and he finishes the race that way)

dVTO387oaiQ

Jeff

CC Cowboy
May 8th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Good find Jeff. I raced there that year (BOTT). Roberts was wheelieing the corkscrew in practice. That was the old track layout. It was faster but much more dangerous. The surface was so rough and the front straight went into a huge sweeper all the way over to go up the hill (no Dunlap tire infield). If was good to see Johnny Bettencourt (RIP), number 50 towards the end.

It's great that Rainey upgraded the track into the world class place it is now.

JeffM
May 8th, 2011, 09:06 PM
CC, I'm sure you will like this one too :thumbup:. Love the push start!

Interesting that the riding position of that era would be considered completely "crossed up" vs. current motorcycle racing style. Was it the lack of traction control (other that the riders throttle hand :D) and the subsequent wheel spin that dictated that positioning? It had to work, those dudes were wicked fast.

8wF1NohkTlc

zartan
May 8th, 2011, 09:11 PM
When did Mamola go to Honda wasn't he always on a Gamma??? I is confused. Mamola was my fav.

TR here is yelling in the back ground. 82-83 on the gamma
then 84 HRC 85 Rothsman's honda...

That is a awesome course..Prior to World GP it was such fun camping and running the pits.. watching Randy and Kenny cutting it up often almost highsiding. Course was brutial fun!