View Full Version : what is this maneuver called?

onizthegnome
May 11th, 2011, 09:05 PM
braking turn? how is this done? im assuming locking up the rear makes you skid like that. thats a pretty cool move to learn if youre not too frugal about tire mileage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dJ1TTpA3PY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44HqXUTl60k&NR=1

TnNinjaGirl
May 11th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Let's see him do it right handed

Live2ride
May 11th, 2011, 09:17 PM
braking turn? how is this done? im assuming locking up the rear makes you skid like that. thats a pretty cool move to learn if youre not too frugal about tire mileage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dJ1TTpA3PY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44HqXUTl60k&NR=1

I wouldn't do this but I'd assume it's done by slamming on the rear brake during a low speed turn while attempting to keep the bike upright and not high side...Didn't you ever do that on a bicycle as a kid? :confused:

Yasko
May 11th, 2011, 09:18 PM
What a waste of tires...

phr3ek
May 11th, 2011, 09:30 PM
first vid is just drifting
2nd is "backing it in"

backing it in is mostly done on supermotos
but some motogp or any fast rider do tend to have fun with this manuever
and lets face it, if you're going fast, the back end will slip

aeUK6aOEJKo

Z20p0ore9iU

phr3ek
May 11th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't do this but I'd assume it's done by slamming on the rear brake during a low speed turn while attempting to keep the bike upright and not high side...Didn't you ever do that on a bicycle as a kid? :confused:

you dont want to lock up the rear
what you do is (as fast as possible):
brake for the turn
down shift 2 gears
feather the rear brake, clutch and throttle
MCN (youtube) does a segment on this

onizthegnome
May 11th, 2011, 09:51 PM
phr3ek, thanks for the post, those are some sick videos!

now i know these arent the kind of maneuvers i would be doing when riding around town, pulling up at work, or at the grocery but i think its still good to at least know how its done properly.

kkim
May 11th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I believe that maneuver is known as "an accident waiting to happen". :D

CC Cowboy
May 12th, 2011, 05:11 AM
First maneuver is called,Uターン実践編~ブレーキターンをしてみた。

Second is,ブレーキターン模範演技

"A"
May 12th, 2011, 05:21 AM
More fun on wet pavement :thumbup:

KycZk1M7g24

RedCromwell
May 15th, 2011, 05:28 AM

Second is,ブレーキターン模範演技

:rotflmao:

onizthegnome
May 15th, 2011, 03:48 PM

Second is,ブレーキターン模範演技

in engrish:
first one is called - Practical Guide to U-turn - I brake turns.
second is - turn brake performance model

Kevin2109
May 15th, 2011, 11:24 PM

Second is,ブレーキターン模範演技

:happy50:

setasai
May 16th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I wonder how much practice it would take to increase the probability of successfully performing this technique without high siding. Anytime you include braking while in the turn (drifting) you're asking for trouble. Especially on the streets since the road conditions are unpredictable.

"A"
May 16th, 2011, 12:11 PM
:confused: Seems strange to me why the Japanese would practice such maneuver, since the traffic flow is opposite in Japan: they drive on the left side of the road.

To pull off such an maneuver in Japan is the equivalent to turn onto the curb-side.

onizthegnome
May 17th, 2011, 06:44 PM
:confused: Seems strange to me why the Japanese would practice such maneuver, since the traffic flow is opposite in Japan: they drive on the left side of the road.

To pull off such an maneuver in Japan is the equivalent to turn onto the curb-side.

perhaps its meant for those times when you want to park your bike with style

or

make a fool of yourself when you fall over

Vegedurden
May 18th, 2011, 01:24 AM
That's a track riding technique. You do it by rolling on the throttle harder and earlier, close to the apex and before you've straightened the bike.
You don't use the rear brake at all to achieve that.

It's a really advanced one, definitely not suitable for street riding.

They talk about it in an episode of Superbike School UK, the series about Keith Code's track school.

GeorgiaHooligan
May 21st, 2011, 07:07 PM
http://youtu.be/VYpOFimB7ZA

Sick bike control. Truly amazing.

GeorgiaHooligan
May 21st, 2011, 07:07 PM
Nick Brocha is the man!

Kurgan
August 29th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I wonder how much practice it would take to increase the probability of successfully performing this technique without high siding. Anytime you include braking while in the turn (drifting) you're asking for trouble. Especially on the streets since the road conditions are unpredictable.

Ever ride a bicycle as a kid?

The rear brake skid is one of the first "stunts" I ever learned, mostly to see who could leave the longest black skid on the white sidewalk in front of the angry old man's house who hated all the kids.

All you gotta do is remember what you used to do when you were little to avoid the high side.

leed
August 30th, 2011, 06:55 AM
http://www.babywinegiftbaskets.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Defibrillator-Paddles.gif

300+ pound bike + high center of gravity + high entry speed + high friction tires =/= bicycle stunts!

LazinCajun
August 30th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Let's see him do it right handed

1:15'ish in the first video

csmith12
September 1st, 2011, 10:13 AM
That's a track riding technique. You do it by rolling on the throttle harder and earlier, close to the apex and before you've straightened the bike.
You don't use the rear brake at all to achieve that.

It's a really advanced one, definitely not suitable for street riding.

They talk about it in an episode of Superbike School UK, the series about Keith Code's track school.

I believe your referring to this vid which is not quite the same thing.
5cbQoW3rk2o

Here is how it could possibly apply to our ninjettes in a more practical track application. Skip to 7:00, but the entire video is a great watch. I will agree this is a VERY advanced race technique and us mortals should shy away from such things unless skilled enough to do so.
piWyrZhArYI

The slides in the originally posted videos are waaaaayyyyy pre-apex and remind me of the techniques used all the time by supermoto/motocross riders.

The ICON drifting vid linked here is also a close contender and an awesome show of skill. But again, I find myself struggling to find the practical usage of such a skill aside of a great example of how NOT to panic when the rear slides.