View Full Version : My "new" 1999 Honda CBR600 F4

Anthony_marr
May 14th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Best bike I've ever had. 110 HP (crank shaft) 100 HP (rear wheel), 0-60 in 3 sec, top speed 170 mph, 1/4 mile in 11 sec. Load of low-end torque. Only 375-lb dry weight. The F1 (1987-1990), F2 (1991-1994), F3 (1995-1998), F4 (1999-2000) and the F4i (2001-) are all top sport-bikes of their time.

The Ninjette, however, has it all over the F4 in fuel economy, of course, and is still very competitive in tight twisties.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x70/AnthonyMarr/motorcycles/motorcycles/50DSC09258.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x70/AnthonyMarr/motorcycles/motorcycles/50DSC09259.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x70/AnthonyMarr/motorcycles/motorcycles/50DSC09263.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x70/AnthonyMarr/motorcycles/motorcycles/50DSC09266.jpg

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=200707051767

1987 Hurricane 600

Honda's first-generation CBR600F established new standards for the middleweight class. The Hurricane's unique full-coverage bodywork allowed engineers to skip costly engine cosmetics and focus development dollars inside the engine cases. The result was a class-leading 83 horsepower from the CBR's liquid-cooled dohc inline-four. With a dry weight of 396.8 pounds--the lightest 600 available--the Hurricane blew away the competition, yet remained true to its design philosophy by offering versatility to match its incredible performance.

1990 CBR600F

For the 600's first makeover, Honda focused its attention on the engine. Revised porting and a new stainless steel exhaust system allowed the engine to breathe more easily, while altered cam timing, reconfigured pistons and combustion chambers, a slightly higher compression ratio and new ignition and carb settings helped make best use of the air/fuel mix. These carefully orchestrated engine changes yielded 10 more horsepower, making the CBR600F that much harder to catch on the street and on the track.

1991 CBR600F2

Honda redesigned the CBR from the contact patches up to create the class-leading F2. A lighter and more compact inline-four engine pumped out an astonishing 100 horsepower, thanks to more oversquare dimensions, bigger carbs, higher compression and significant reductions in internal friction. A stiffer frame, shorter wheelbase, revalved suspension, stronger brakes and RC30-style wheels gave the bike handling manners to match. Once again the CBR600 was the lightest, quickest and most powerful middleweight the world had seen.

1995 CBR600F3

Increasing sophistication marked the fourth variation of Honda's middleweight champ. The F3 got stronger via a Dual-Stage Ram Air system, more compact combustion chambers with a higher compression ratio, a computer-controlled 3D-mapped ignition and a comprehensive program to reduce internal engine friction. Again, a retuned chassis, including freshly recalibrated suspension systems and bigger brakes, helped the F3 keep its handling edge, while still maintaining class-leading livability on the street.

1999 CBR600F4

Totally redesigned for 1999, the CBR600F4 continued to push the boundaries of 600 performance even higher. Lighter, more compact and significantly more powerful, the F4's all-new inline-four engine used the latest Honda design and manufacturing technologies, including RC45™-inspired aluminum composite cylinder sleeves and LUB™-Coat pistons, and a new dual-stage ram-air system to crank out an incredible 110 horsepower. That new engine bolted to an aluminum Pro Frame™--a first for the CBR600--that was more rigid than the previous steel frame, yet 15.4 pounds lighter, for a feathery overall weight of just 372.6 pounds. New suspension systems, including fully adjustable Honda Multi-Action Suspension™ (HMAS) components, race-spec brakes, wide three-spoke wheels and low-profile radial tires round out the F4's exceptional handling package. The one thing that hadn't changed, though, was the CBR's all-around capabilities, making it as comfortable on the street as it is competent on the race track.

Yasko
May 14th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Kool bike... Ride safe...:thumbup:

thurt88
May 14th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Congrats ! I love my Honda. I prefer the "rr's" but you cant miss with a CBR :thumbup:

Anthony_marr
May 14th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Congrats ! I love my Honda. I prefer the "rr's" but you cant miss with a CBR :thumbup:

The RR is a quantum leap from the F series. But if you put Rossi on my F4... :rolleyes:

Live2ride
May 14th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Nice bike, I was actually considering an 01 f4i before buying my ninjette because the asking price was actually less than a used ninjette. I've heard there amazing stunt bikes ;). Have fun with your 0-60 in seconds; I bet that's a lot of fun :D.

Anthony_marr
May 14th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Nice bike, I was actually considering an 01 f4i before buying my ninjette because the asking price was actually less than a used ninjette. I've heard they're amazing stunt bikes ;). Have fun with your 0-60 in seconds; I bet that's a lot of fun :D.

Hush hush, but I paid only $2600 for mine. It comes with new sprockets, chain and Michelin tires (180/55-R17 rear). Mind you, it has 30,000 mi on it, but pulls as strongly as new, with top compression in all 4. It can stay strong well over 100K if not abused and well maintained.

I haven't tested the 0-60 to the max yet, but with a half-hearted try, it popped a non-clutch wheelie. Now I know when the rear-brakes are a must (to prevent a complete flip-over), since the front brakes are totally useless with the front wheel in the air.

Live2ride
May 14th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Hush hush, but I paid only $2600 for mine. It comes with new sprockets, chain and Michelin tires (180/55-R17 rear). Mind you, it has 30,000 mi on it, but pulls as strongly as new, with top compression in all 4. It can stay strong well over 100K if not abused and well maintained.

I haven't tested the 0-60 to the max yet, but with a half-hearted try, it popped a non-clutch wheelie. Now I know when the rear-brakes are a must (to prevent a complete flip-over), since the front brakes are totally useless with the front wheel in the air.

That's a good deal, and yea, it's funny how the brakes don't seem to work with the wheels off the ground :confused:, lol. Check out this thread (http://www.rgvcycles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4417) on another forum, now that's a lot of miles :eek:.

"A"
May 14th, 2011, 08:41 AM
top speed 170 mph, 1/4 mile in 11 sec. Load of low-end torque. Only 375-lb dry weight.

Highly exaggerated numbers.. 170 mph, not a chance.

IMO 99-00 CBR600F4i are some of the most practical/dependable sportbikes.
Looks like you found yourself a decent one at a good price..:thumbup:

Snake
May 14th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Congrats

Anthony_marr
May 14th, 2011, 08:45 AM

Okay, I will test the top speed and report back if I survive. But I'd say that 155 mph is a conservative estimate. My bike may be even less, since the sprockets are -1 front, +2 rear. But due to this, its 0-60 and 1/4-mi runs maybe even quicker.

Live2ride
May 14th, 2011, 08:49 AM

your right, no way is it that low, it's 175mph (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np1xLhh-lMI), geeeez. :p

Anthony_marr
May 14th, 2011, 08:52 AM
That's a good deal, and yea, it's funny how the brakes don't seem to work with the wheels off the ground :confused:, lol. Check out this thread (http://www.rgvcycles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4417) on another forum, now that's a lot of miles :eek:.

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 201,100 miles and still kicking
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 404,200 miles still running strong

Holy Moly! Now this gives me a lot of confidence and peace of mind while piling on the miles!

"A"
May 14th, 2011, 10:26 AM

your right, no way is it that low, it's 175mph (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np1xLhh-lMI), geeeez. :p

I agree with N Ja, not a chance a CBR600F4 can get up to 170 mph.
Speedo on any motos are way off actual speed once you get into the triple digit speeds. Speedo display of 175 mph, is likely around 150 mph actual speed.

At 120 mph(=176 ft. per second), you're covering 2 mile of distance every minute, every tiny movement at the handlebar is likely to move the front end a few feet sideways on the pavement. Not likely that a hand-held camera with rider can keep a moto steady enough to operate a video camera at the same time. IMO, that's another video to entice people to kill themselves attempting stupid stunts on motorcycles.

Anthony_marr
May 14th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I agree with N Ja, not a chance a CBR600F4 can get up to 170 mph.
Speedo on any motos are way off actual speed once you get into the triple digit speeds. Speedo display of 175 mph, is likely around 150 mph actual speed.

At 120 mph(=176 ft. per second), you're covering 2 mile of distance every minute, every tiny movement at the handlebar is likely to move the front end a few feet sideways on the pavement. Not likely that a hand-held camera with rider can keep a moto steady enough to operate a video camera at the same time. IMO, that's another video to entice people to kill themselves attempting stupid stunts on motorcycles.

I'd say that anything a GSX600R, ZX6R and R6 (of the same vintage) can do, a CBR600F4 can do. They were usually neck-and-neck competitors in comparison tests and in racing.

kkim
May 14th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I'd say that anything a GSX600R, ZX6R and R6 (of the same vintage) can do, a CBR600F4 can do. They were usually neck-and-neck competitors in comparison tests and in racing.

you do know they couldn't do 170 either, right? :p

Anthony_marr
May 14th, 2011, 06:44 PM
you do know they couldn't do 170 either, right? :p

bikez.com says 255kmh/158mph for the F4. I'm okay with that.

kkim
May 14th, 2011, 06:50 PM
it will never do that, either. :D

I used to own F2 and F3 600s. They were fast, comfortable and easy to ride. I could easily get up to 140 just blasting up the road in back of my house. I read every test report back in the day and I seem to remember the bikes topping out in the 150-155 range, depending on what the testers were drinking and smoking at the time. :p

regardless, the bike you have will definitely go faster on the street than you will ever need to go.

Anthony_marr
May 14th, 2011, 07:02 PM
it will never do that, either. :D

I used to own F2 and F3 600s. They were fast, comfortable and easy to ride. I could easily get up to 140 just blasting up the road in back of my house. I read every test report back in the day and I seem to remember the bikes topping out in the 150-155 range, depending on what the testers were drinking and smoking at the time. :p

regardless, the bike you have will definitely go faster on the street than you will ever need to go.

150-155 is okay with me too. I don't think I'll ever want to go faster than 149 anyway, anywhere.

I recall that JC Girl got herself an F4 some time back. Wonder how she's doing?

kkim
May 14th, 2011, 07:06 PM
the yellow one? I thought that belonged to her boyfriend.

Anthony_marr
May 15th, 2011, 08:22 AM
the yellow one? I thought that belonged to her boyfriend.

Yes, the yellow one. But I recall her saying that she had sold her Ninjette and bought the CBR.