View Full Version : from a 250r to a 250ra

mr.niftie
May 16th, 2011, 06:17 AM
It is with a somewhat heavy heart that i bid Aloha.
I enjoyed my time with the bike as well as my time on this forum. All my time here, I never met a bad apple.
Hopefully the Honda people will be as nice.
ABS is perceived in a peculiar way. In the automotive world, nobody would say, please, can I order my next sports car without ABS.
Yet, in the motorcycle world, it is perceived that real riders don`t need it.
This is not a slam towards anyone as we all have our own feelings.
I was really hoping that the new Ninja 400 would have offerred ABS so I could have stayed in the family.
I`m in the Oakville area and still looking forward to riding with whoever wants to join in.
Heck, my buddies ride Harleys and Duc`s so I don`t disceriminate :rolleyes:

Liber
May 16th, 2011, 06:34 AM
I don't get the whole "animosity toward ABS" thing either. I'm in the school of thought that you should learn how to brake without ABS, but having ABS makes you that much safer.

When airbag vests become mainstream, are riders going to continue riding without them because that makes them "real"? Real bikers don't wear helmets either you know? :rolleyes:

anyway, enjoy your new bike.

mr.niftie
May 16th, 2011, 06:44 AM
On one hand, I agree with that line of thinking. I got on my first dirt bike over 30 years ago and needless to say it had no abs. I did learn a lot, by trial and error. Like the combination of front brakes around some gravel.
Having said that, when my daughter gets her drivers license, I think I`d like her to be in a car with ABS, ESC, and whatever other safety nannys will keep her from harm.

Yasko
May 16th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Photos please, and I wish you the best with the new bike...:worthlesswithoutpic

Be Safe...

mr.niftie
May 16th, 2011, 12:04 PM
thanks for the thoughts.
I'll post soon. I don't even have it yet.
It's still in the crate, available for pick up tomorrow, but it's raining so much I'm holding off untill later in the week.

Snake
May 16th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Combats.

Xoulrath
May 17th, 2011, 02:43 PM
ABS is perceived in a peculiar way. In the automotive world, nobody would say, please, can I order my next sports car without ABS.I think you may be surprised. If I could turn off the ABS in my car, I would. I turn off the traction control every time I go anywhere. My $.02

Anyway, congrats on what is sure to be an excellent motorcycle. Definitely post pics when you can, and please give us a review/comparison of the two 250s.

HKr1
May 19th, 2011, 10:40 AM
It's still in the crate, available for pick up tomorrow, but it's raining so much I'm holding off untill later in the week.

Pics of the crate? R1 guys post pics of there crates all the time :)

backinthesaddleagain
May 19th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Best of luck. Give us a review of the 250. I like the abs as its hardly noticable. R1 crate pics. Lol. Come to RI. They just got rid ot their last 09 R1 up here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Xoulrath
May 19th, 2011, 05:09 PM
The crate really is the best part of a new bike. It's that anticipation.

oroboros
May 19th, 2011, 06:25 PM
My only question regarding the trading in the Ninja 250 for the Honda 250 is that it seems like a lateral move?
Posted via Mobile Device

almost40
May 20th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Good luck. Ill wave when I pass you:p

mr.niftie
May 27th, 2011, 02:10 PM
It's been rainy lately what can I say???
As for the comparison, they are similar, yet oh so different.
For the casual driving mode (ie. 8/10), the CBR is easier and faster and smoother.
In the upper 20% of the spectrum, I would say the Ninja takes it.
For all those that poo poo abs, I gotta say, it's pretty amazing what Honda has done on an entry level bike.
I'm always going to brake proper and the way I learned. You can't undo 30 years of habit.
As an experiment, in controlled conditions, I tried to do some really bone headed braking maneuvers. The brakes responded perfectly. No matter what I tried, I could not unsettle it.
You can't overcome physics. Too much speed, in a corner, with gravel spells disaster no matter how many electronic nannys you have.
Having said all that, now that I've got a taste of a bike with abs, I don't think I can ever go back.

"A"
May 28th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Cool bike :thumbup:, for the same amount I would have spent it on something more capable than a 250.

eddiekay
May 28th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Guessing you rode your ninjette for a while...it would be interesting to hear comparo's as time goes by with the Honda.

mr.niftie
May 28th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Cool bike :thumbup:, for the same amount I would have spent it on something more capable than a 250.
IMHO, the bike is more than capable for my rides. Plus, Mrs. Niftie has only 3 years of riding so the bike is a fit for both of us. Also, for $5k, I can't even think of a more capable new bike with abs. Maybe I'm wrong. Again, no slam against the Ninja as we both enjoyed it too.

Guessing you rode your ninjette for a while...it would be interesting to hear comparo's as time goes by with the Honda.
I'll be back with an update once I've racked up more miles. Between work and the rain, I haven't had too many chances lately.

If anyone is in the Halton area, I'm open to rides.

IndyTwoFiddy
May 29th, 2011, 05:32 PM
cool looking bike...still love the look of the ninja better....but good looking honda.

2011Ninja250R
July 18th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Looks real nice. Love the instrumentation. I'd like to hear the comparison too...

ducducgooseit
July 18th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Another one leaves the fold. :(

mr.niftie
July 21st, 2011, 01:00 PM
I still haven't managed to clock a lot of time (funny how work gets in the way) but I've done about 500km now and most of my previous comments stand.
Driven @ 8/10's of it capability, I find it to be better in every way and more comfortable too. It's just easier to drive it up to that 80% mark (and really that's probably enough for the city streets).
I haven't played with the air pressures or shock settings but I find the bike to be bit twitchy (squirelly?) above 8/10. The Ninja was confidence inspiring at these levels leaving me to believe that it would be waaay superior at the track. I never intend to take my bike to the track so that is probably ok by me.
Who knows? Maybe playing with the suspension and/or pressures might make it the track equal of the Ninja?