View Full Version : Beaver Run on a 250?

jstrain
May 23rd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Anyone have any experience with Beaver Run (in western Pa) on a 250? Looking at doing back to back days in July with NESBA.

No experience with that track, so I'm wondering if a 250 would be out of it's league with other bikes. I'd be running in the beginner group, but I've got a few track days on other bikes (ZX6 and an Aprilia Mille) and am pretty comfortable with riding on the track.

jstrain
June 3rd, 2011, 06:40 AM
Figured I'd bump this thread and ask more generally...

I'm all signed up and planning to ride the 250. I did a bunch of laps at Jennings on a borrowed 250, but that was a private event with a much smaller group of riders and shorter straight sections.

Would you guys feel comfortable riding a 250 in a larger group of bikes that are all faster?

I have an Aprilia RSV which I'm thinking about taking, but it's my baby and I'm a bit hesitant to track it.

CC Cowboy
June 3rd, 2011, 07:21 AM
I've done a few "Beaver Runs" in college, but not lately. I would say whenever or wherever there is a "Beaver Run", go for it. It always put a smile on my face.

This wouldn't be at Beaver College would it? I met some girls from there one time while in Florida at spring break.

backinthesaddleagain
June 3rd, 2011, 07:26 AM
lol @cc.
A friend of mine is taking his 250X Yam to a trackday in a couple weeks and isn't concerned. Actually I think he will spank a few in the tight corners.

jstrain
June 3rd, 2011, 08:19 AM
:D

Yeah, I love the corners. Just concerned about getting rear ended on the straights by a new track rider that isn't familiar with the track environment.

CC Cowboy
June 3rd, 2011, 01:21 PM
If you feel you are going to be slow, start at the end of your group. This way the first (or fast) riders will have to catch up to you to pass you (usually after a few laps) but they should be the better riders. If you feel you are fast, wait until the first riders in your group are coming around on their first lap and head out in front of them. This way you have to catch up to the slower riders to pass them.

I hope this makes sense.

miss_syn
June 3rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
OOoh I hope you have fun. I want to go to Beaver Run but want to get a year or two of solid riding under my belt first.

jstrain
June 3rd, 2011, 01:29 PM
No, that makes perfect sense.

Unless I get bumped to Intermediate (not expecting to), I'm riding Beginner which doesn't allow passing in the corners :( I'll probably go with the hang towards the back, let everyone get out ahead, and ride at my own pace.

jstrain
June 3rd, 2011, 01:33 PM
I highly recommend it Tiffany!

I've done more than a couple track days (never at Beaver though), but lately, they've been private events. I have a friend who scrapes together enough folks to rent out Jennings GP track in Florida for 3 days each February.

Since it's private, there are no groups. Open track for 3 days. Given that much riding time and that it's private, there are usually no more than 15-20 bikes out on the track at any given time. Hence my nervousness about getting back into a crowded mix on such a small bike.

But definitely get out there once you feel comfortable. Not only is it a blast, it really lets you get in touch with exactly what the bike is capable of. Just be careful about getting hooked on it. It gets expensive :D

miss_syn
June 3rd, 2011, 01:54 PM
Despite the fact I live like ten minutes from Beaver Run I only found out about it in February. From people I've talked to it's pretty nice there.

dk58
July 25th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Did you end up going this past weekend? I am looking into possibly going to a few next season and perhaps one this season. It would be nice to see what somebody else thought of it the day.

jstrain
July 25th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Yup. Busy afternoon, but I'll write up tonight when I get a few minutes free.

dk58
July 25th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Awesome, can't wait to hear about it!

miss_syn
July 25th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I'm also excited to hear about it. I think I want to try my first track day.

Shaol1n Monk
July 25th, 2011, 01:53 PM
yea jeremy, looking forward t hearing about it. i want to do a track day as well. gotta get some riding pants and boots first tho. also a bit nervous about riding my 250 out there, not as much about it being small or slow, but more cuz its my everyday rider and only means of transport rt now... if i were to damage it i would be screwed. and im the type that would push myself beyond my skill level and lowside the thing... or worse :rolleyes:

jstrain
July 25th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Ok, here goes. Out in wheeling WV on a missions trip all week, so all I've got is my phone to respond with. If you interested folks have any specific questions, just let me know.

I rode with nesba on Saturday and Sunday. Took a bit of time, but I wound up really enjoying it. It's a short track (1.3ish miles I think), so it can feel a little repetitive at times, but still very enjoyable.

Nesba did a very good job of running things. My first track day was with sportbike tracktime. Not a bad experience, but this was much better. All my time on the track in the meantime have been private events at Jennings in Florida.

I was in the beginner group and the control riders were fantastic. All very friendly and always available for questions / advice / feedback immediately following your session. Definitely worth the time to talk to them after you pit out. you'll see them pulling off before the actual pit area and talking with anyone who wants to.

The bad about the track... You'll get eaten alive on the front and back straights. You just don't have enough power to keep up. I was topping out at 90ish (that's what the speedo indicated). You'll definitely get blown by on the straights. In nesba, beginners are only allowed to pass on straights, so everyone is itching to crack their throttles. Obviously this depends on who is in your group, but I had no problems with people passing too close or being jerks. Just be prepared for it and don't get spooked.

The other spot I really had problems with was coming out of the carousel (turns 10 and 11). I wound up settling on third gear through there. It's not perfect, but any higher gear and you've got NO power coming out of the turns. Any lower gear and you're on the rev limited too early. Even in third, you've gotta shift almost as soon as you finish the turn, but it's the best way I found.

The only other mandatory gear selection I found was coming through turn 7 and going up the hill. If I wasn't in third, I just didn't have near enough power to accelerate up the hill.

Keep in mind, if you're faster or slower than me (probably faster :D ), those gears may not work for you.

That stuff may sound bad, but honestly, I had an absolute blast. If it tells you anything, I brought my Aprilia RSV along and I only rode it two sessions. Everything else was on the 250.

Like I said, and specific questions, just ask.

jstrain
July 25th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Jae, I may try to do one at jersey motorsports park late in the fall. Maybe October or November if you're interested. In my experience, track days are good by yourself. They're great if you've got somebody there with you to hang out with

jstrain
July 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM
For those who are specifically interested in beaver, here's the track map so you can check out the turns I'm talking about.

http://www.beaverun.com/about_facility.php

Shaol1n Monk
July 25th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Jae, I may try to do one at jersey motorsports park late in the fall. Maybe October or November if you're interested. In my experience, track days are good by yourself. They're great if you've got somebody there with you to hang out with

let me know about NJMP, i may have the gear by then and would love to come out! im also thinking of checking out the AMA races there on labor day weekend. i posted about it in the Philly Ninjas group.

sounds like it was a good time, but yea i may wanna start looking for a separate track bike... pref a zx-6r ;)

jstrain
July 26th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Nesba has dates there October 8 & 9 that I may shoot for with some other friends. If you can't swing that, I think they may still have some layer on in the year. If you want to start tracking, check with the gear requirements for different organizations. Most, if not all require leather and you have to have a full 360 degree zipper attaching pants to jacket.

If you can swing it, a track bike is a good investment. I've owned track only bikes in tw past, but I just can't seem to make myself hang onto a bike I can only use a few times a year. Honestly, I'm really liking the idea of using the 250. It really forces you to focus on technique instead of just using the throttle.

I'll post up once I get a firm idea of what dates I can make.

dk58
July 26th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Sounds like it was a good time. I definitely want to try to get to one this season now. I assumed I would be the slowest, but I would be racing more against myself anyways. The only thing I'm concerned about is getting addicted to track days :D

jstrain
July 27th, 2011, 04:02 AM
I'm pretty sure nesba still has a couple dates there this year. I approach it like you do. I'm not there to be the fastest guy on the track. Just to have a good time and improve my skills.

You definitely won't regret it. It's a blast. When I bought my 250, the seller had a set of bt016 tires that he gave me. Mounted them up so I'd have something stickier than the stock set and was very happy with them.