View Full Version : DIY on washing my 250r?

SF-Dug
December 30th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Is there anything I would need to know before, during and after I wash my motorcycle tomorrow? Would I need to reapply lubrication on the chain after washing it? What about the other parts of the motorcycle which are grease/oiled up for mechanical reasons. Should In be concern with these parts as well? Should I use warm or cold water? Any tips would be helpful.

Broom
December 30th, 2008, 04:47 PM
you should be concerned with hiting any moving or mechanical parts with a pressure washer (ie: anything with lubrication or electronics). don't put anything slick like armerall on stuff you don't want slick (ie: tires).

thats about it really.

click here (http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=how+to+wash+a+motorcycle) :D

BlackKarma
December 30th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Don't Armor all your seat! :D And a skinny tire brush works wonders...:thumbup:

Angel-be-Good
December 30th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Do not shine your tires.

Alex
December 30th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I've got one of those Mr. Clean auto washers that does a pretty good job. If my bikes are really dirty, I'll start with that. It's just an attachment on the end of a hose that has settings for wash, soap, and ionized/filtered water to dry. It's not nearly strong enough coming out of the hose to get past seals, but it's enough water to help make washing the bike pretty darned quick and easy.

After it dries, I do use plexus on just about all the painted or shiny surfaces; adds a bit of protection and gives it that "shiny/wet" look. If I did use any water, I do make sure to clean/lube the chain afterwards.

If the bike isn't too dirty, I'll just use the plexus and go from there.

SF-Dug
December 30th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Okay I get the not shinning the tires part. I don't want to endanger my only two means of traction. Would using an old tooth brush and for the hard to reach areas be okay? Would I have to re-grease or lube anything after I am done?

NVM: Alex you hit most of my questions.

Syphen
December 30th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I don't wash the bike TOO too much. I give it one or two complete clean and waxings during the summer and the rest of the time just dust it off with microfibre clothes and use car detailer. Brake parts cleaner on a rag to clean chain before re-lubing (do not spray it on directly... or drench the rag, it will KILL your o-rings).

It may sound pretty cheap, but one thing that I found that seemed to clean the bike really good, and all of the bug splatters: plastic & vinyl house siding cleaner. It comes in a bottle that you screw right on the end of a garden hose. It premixes soap and water and works really well. Just stand back about 10 feet from the bike.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v61/78/14/501912042/n501912042_19227_9440.jpg

You can see the bottle of cleaner attached to the hose in this pic. Make sure to dry the bike off with some really nice absorbent shammies after washing. Water marks suck.

In terms of greasing & re-lubing? I lube all the pivots for shifters and levers, as well as the axles once every year. Right before I take the bike out for spring. The chain should be cleaned and re-lubed every 1000km or so. (I've let it go longer but you shouldn't.)

kkim
December 30th, 2008, 07:14 PM
This is for basic washing of the bike-

Wash the bike like you wash your car. No high pressure. I use a garden sprayer attachment on a hose, bucket of soapy water, a wash mitt for the plastics, a 4" painters brush to get in the hard to reach areas. I stay away from the really greasy areas like the drive chain.

After you're done washing and drying the bike, start it up and let the the engine warm up to dry out any parts that may be sensitive to water. If you have the time, take it for a quick spin to blow out any water left in the crevices and come back and lube the chain.

Every 6 months or so (or when I ride in the rain :mad:), I remove the front fairings, front fender, seat and rear plastics and wash the plastics (inside and out), engine and frame thoroughly. This is where the painting brush comes in very handy.

BlueTyke
December 31st, 2008, 11:27 AM
Get a Sud Buddy to clean it? :D

noche_caliente
December 31st, 2008, 11:43 AM
^ and be sure to take pics for us ;)

Sailariel
December 31st, 2008, 12:09 PM
Very good advice. One thing no one mentioned was the exhaust. When I wash the bike, I usually put a cork in the exhaust.

NJD022588
December 31st, 2008, 01:53 PM
Very good advice. One thing no one mentioned was the exhaust. When I wash the bike, I usually put a cork in the exhaust.

Good idea. If water does get into the exhaust, fully warming the bike after a wash will cause it all to boil and evaporate.

SF-Dug
January 1st, 2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks for all the advice folks. Keep it coming if it has not been mentioned already.

kkim
January 1st, 2009, 01:38 PM
lol... you mean you still haven't washed the bike??? what are you waiting for??? :D

g21-30
January 1st, 2009, 04:35 PM
^ and be sure to take pics for us ;)

Take it to my dealer: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11014

:thumbup:

SF-Dug
January 1st, 2009, 06:11 PM

Ummm.....Feel free to PM that "dealer" address at anytime ! :bounce:

sprale
January 2nd, 2009, 07:38 AM
Do not shine your tires.
I found out the hard way on my first motorbike in high school...

lol... you mean you still haven't washed the bike??? what are you waiting for??? :D
In 21k miles, I think I've already washed my bike at least four times. :D

BlueTyke
January 2nd, 2009, 07:45 PM

I think... It was in regard to Sud Buddies... I do not see Sud Buddies there.. Just Sud Bunnies... :D

g21-30
January 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
BlueTyke... I was telling him to take it to my dealer for a wash. Didn't mean to get you and noche_caliente's hopes up! :confused:

aloh
January 3rd, 2009, 12:26 AM
I just use a hose and the regular automotive detailing products i use on my own car. I usually just use a light auto shampoo and pat dry with a waffle weave microfiber towel. I only use the hose on areas like the seat, plastics, wheels, etc, and use a wet towel on the controls/gauges/sensitive areas. I plan to wax it every month or so depending on how much I ride

For "in between" cleanings I use a quick detailer spray on the paint.

Detailing is a little hobby of mine. The results always make it well worth the time spent!

Here's a pic i took after a fresh detail:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x241/aloh874749/CIMG5511.jpg

BlueTyke
January 3rd, 2009, 03:24 PM
BlueTyke... I was telling him to take it to my dealer for a wash. Didn't mean to get you and noche_caliente's hopes up! :confused:

I was taking no form of offence what-so-ever. I am not sure where Walnut is though... Is that in Virginias?

HKr1
January 3rd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Note to self ....... "Bikes need a washing"

g21-30
October 22nd, 2009, 05:13 AM
Found this on MCN:

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/MCNmay06DevilDetails1.pdf

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/MCNmay06DevilDetails2.pdf

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/MCNmay06DevilDetails3.pdf

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/MCNmay06DevilDetails4.pdf

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/MCNmay06DevilDetails5.pdf

CZroe
October 22nd, 2009, 05:50 AM
My bike is so dirty, I don't want to put the cover on it for fear that the dust will scratch. :)

sprale
October 22nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
At over 27k miles so far, I think I recently washed the bike maybe five times. I also spend more time riding than trying to be the top poster on the forums ;)

Snake
October 22nd, 2009, 07:29 PM
My bike is so dirty, I don't want to put the cover on it for fear that the dust will scratch. :)

Sounds like you need to wash the bike in a bad way.

andrewexd
October 22nd, 2009, 09:17 PM
I dont bother washing much because i dont have a garage and its black. I just go to the car wash places, spray with water on low pressure put some suds on and wash it off, dry.

ManyCavies
October 22nd, 2009, 11:13 PM
I washed my bike today!!:) It has been awhile .
But I do love a clean bike. :D

Ryosen11
October 22nd, 2009, 11:50 PM
I wash my bike mainly with ONR(Optimum No Rise)
http://www.optimumcarcare.com/onrwns.htm

This is a very good product especially if you don't have access to a water hose such as in apartment complex. You just need a bucket and couple microfiber towels. Very quick and easy:thumbup:

I also use this on my car regulary for in between washes or when I don't have time to do a full wash. You can also use this as quick detailer or clay bar lube depending on the amount you mix with water. Their spray wax is very good too.

...wow, I should get paid by them:D

CZroe
October 23rd, 2009, 12:21 AM
Sounds like you need to wash the bike in a bad way.

The problem is that I commute with it daily and so it has to remain uncovered during my graveyard shift. Every morning, I come out of the office to go home and it is soaking wet with dew. That dew traps dust which builds up daily and stays behind when it dries. I'd have to wash every other day to stop it.

CRXTrek
October 23rd, 2009, 01:34 AM
I have to wash mine after every ride (Bug Guts) then it gets a cover till the next ride.

Betlog
January 15th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Any tips on washing the bike? I'm thinking of just taking a bucket, soap+water, and washing it that way. Then wax after. Are there any areas I should avoid getting wet? Thanks!

kkim
January 15th, 2010, 01:51 AM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11311

SteveL
January 15th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I have a brush on the end of a hose and use a small water flow; this brings off all the dirt without the risk of drowning the electrics or damaging seals. If you have tar stuck on the bike a soft cloth with some gas on it will bring it off. Then polish it as much as you like.

Steve

Snake
January 15th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Avoid using harsh chemicals, especialy gasoline. If you have road tar you can buy a can of "bug and tar remover" at an auto parts store. Also do not use detergents, use car wash soap.

backinthesaddleagain
January 15th, 2010, 08:43 AM
don't blast the bike with high pressure. especially radiator fins, swingarm pivots, linkage, etc.

backinthesaddleagain
January 15th, 2010, 08:43 AM
especially avoid drive thru car washes, you'll be soaked all the way home.

tjkamper
January 15th, 2010, 09:23 AM

That's how I always do it. That way my gear is sqeaky clean too. :D

divingtigger
January 15th, 2010, 09:28 AM

I'm giving the IT guy your email address....you can explain all the water that is dripping off my monitor. Had a mouth full while I was reading that

backinthesaddleagain
January 15th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I'm giving the IT guy your email address....you can explain all the water that is dripping off my monitor. Had a mouth full while I was reading that

Haha, I actually had an experience in a car one time at the car wash. I somehow missed the little roller that pulls the car, so I tried to drive the right speed through the carwash. It was tricky, the second I got out of that thing I sped off towards the highway.

Snake
January 15th, 2010, 10:58 AM

Those spinning brushes give your back a great massage. lol

Betlog
January 15th, 2010, 11:38 AM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11311

Super! Thanks bro.

bdavison
January 15th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Here is some tips...

1. Go get one of those brushes they use for cleaning window blinds. They work really well for getting in the nooks and cranny's on the bike.
2. Get a toilet brush...and use that to clean the undertail, rear shock, swingarm, etc. The long handle makes it easy to get up in there.
3. The brush you use to wash the plastics, should NEVER EVER....touch the wheels, brakes, swingarm, etc...the dirt it picks up will scratch the paint. Use a seperate brush for that stuff.
4. Use a good quality motorcycle soap.
5. To clean gunk off the grips, use woolite...6:1 ratio.

Dont's...
Never use a pressure washer. Ever......EVER.
Dont use anything that touches the undertail, swingarm, brakes, or wheels on any plastic body part.
Never use armorall, tire shine, or any other slick stuff on wheels, rotors, or the seat. Actually...keep that junk away from the bike entirely.

rockNroll
January 15th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I wash the bikes when the dead bugs are creating too much drag.

Alex
January 15th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Some of those bugs can be pretty slippery. It's probably a wash. (ooohhhhh...... :))

Sailariel
January 17th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I use a spray bottle of water--no detergent. A very wet wash mitt, rinsed very frequently in a bucket, gets rid of the dirt. The spray bottle rinses it off. I use one of those super absorbant synthetic shammies to dry the bike. The bike has four coats of Liquid Glass Polish, so the dirt does not adhere. Bugs and an ocassional tar smudge come off with ease. I wipe the chain off and lube the sliding surfaces using a hypodermic syringe full of synthetic oil. A rag soaked in WD-40 (which I buy by the gallon at Home Depot) cleans the chain nicely between regular lubes (every 500mi and after riding in wet weather). The longest lasting lube I have used so far is Maxxima Chain Wax---available in most MC shops. In the fall, as part of my winterization, I take all the fairings off and wash and polish them inside and out. I also detail out the engine.

ninja250
January 18th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Rags to wipe the grease off the frame and engine parts etc.
Windex and paper towels for the plastics.
My bike has never seen rain yet. (one reason I don't want to hose it down yet)
Never been outside over night either.

I didn't like riding in the rain on my gsxr.

silver_bullet
January 18th, 2010, 06:18 AM
When I was mine (after every ride in the rain, usually once a week) I just use the same car soap http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+GOLD+1that I use on the cars and a microfiber wash mitt http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+X3002 for the paint/plastics and another one for the wheels/undertail. I finish up with a chamois dry. If it's been awhile I use Meguiars NXT Gen synthetic wax http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G12718. For the quick cleanups before/after a rainless ride I use Turtlewax spray and a microfiber rag. http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,1,2

Zomb1eFaceKilla
February 20th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I dont normally spray it hard with a manual car wash but I use the presoak, soap, rinse, rain x and then spotless rinse. I know its not good to constantly get the guages wet but arent they sealed for water? I dont know how many times I went to work and then it starts raining. Not getting parts of the bike wet seems hard to do.

gideonpoe
July 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Alright so I'm not all that new to riding bikes, but I am new to owning a bike. So I've got a black ninja which means I'll need to be cleaning it a lot considering it shows every piece of dirt. So any tips on how to clean it or can I just clean it like I do my truck. I also got some Armor All Wax It Dry Gel, is this safe on the bike? I'd like to clean it all up and wax it good, not near seat or tires of course.

revstriker
July 19th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Alright so I'm not all that new to riding bikes, but I am new to owning a bike. So I've got a black ninja which means I'll need to be cleaning it a lot considering it shows every piece of dirt. So any tips on how to clean it or can I just clean it like I do my truck. I also got some Armor All Wax It Dry Gel, is this safe on the bike? I'd like to clean it all up and wax it good, not near seat or tires of course.Just use a good car wash soap for normal cleaning, and a good quality car wax or polish to finish up. In between cleanings, a detail spray and a microfiber cloth will help keep it looking nice, especially if you don't do a lot of riding in the rain.

kkim
July 19th, 2010, 03:49 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35965

no armorall on tires. :nono:

Guinss
July 19th, 2010, 04:00 PM
As usual, lots of clean water, a lot of soap/shampoo and then you should have a cloth(microfiber) to dry it off when your done washing the soap off. When it's completely dry, you can wax it(let it air dry for some minutes), do not wait too long with waxing. Use a microfiber cloth here as well. Anything thats not soft enough will make scratches.

Having a black bike myself, my best advice is to use good microfiber-cloths, which you store somewhere so they don't get dirty, and use them for nothing else than the bike. I have one for drying the bike, one for wiping of wax, another for another type of wax(turtle ice, which can be used on plastic etc). I buy new ones or wash them every so often.

gaby
July 19th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I actually never wash my bike with actual water and soap. I just use Plexus Cleaner and it leaves it great. Just spray it and use a microfiber cloth and all nice and shiny and clean, mind you I dont take out the bike on rainy days so that it doesnt get muddy or anything like that.

austexjg
July 19th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I usually try to clean it after ever ride. I just use a damp microfiber towel to wipe it down and dry it and occassionally I use a spray wax. I too never ride if it looks like rain and avoid puddles (even if it means going on a sidewalk or two).

00NissanNinja
July 19th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I wash it like my car just more gently. Dry it with some microfiber towels and then wax with turtle wax ice (which is really good IMO) Also I wax the rims so brake dust and road grime don't get stuck to it as easily since it is PITA to get it off.

Reswob
August 28th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Gave my baby a bath today. Looks great, except for the black grease/tar/general-kicked-up-road-gunk/whatever splattered all over the underside of the rear fairing. Soap and water didn't even phase the stuff, but I'm afraid to use anything more abrasive. Maybe some kind of soft plastic 'razor blade' to scrape it off??

WindMeUp
August 28th, 2010, 04:56 PM
gave my baby a bath today. Looks great, except for the black grease/tar/general-kicked-up-road-gunk/whatever splattered all over the underside of the rear fairing. Soap and water didn't even phase the stuff, but i'm afraid to use anything more abrasive. Maybe some kind of soft plastic 'razor blade' to scrape it off??
wd40

Reswob
August 28th, 2010, 05:13 PM
on the paint?

00NissanNinja
August 28th, 2010, 05:16 PM
If you don't want to use wd40 use some polish and buff it off with a microfiber towel. I like to use polish

ithaca00
August 28th, 2010, 06:09 PM
simple green or some other degreaser.

CC Cowboy
August 28th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I second Simple Green!

GeneJunkie
August 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM
If you don't want to use wd40 use some polish and buff it off with a microfiber towel. I like to use polish

Honda Polish ftw!

welcome2thedawn
August 28th, 2010, 07:02 PM
another vote for simple green...i spray it on the wheels, tires, and any other really dirty areas, and let it dwell for a minute while i get the wash bucket ready...i'll also get a bucket of hot water to wash the greasy spots, for obvious reasons

WindMeUp
August 28th, 2010, 07:07 PM
on the paint?
I have used WD40 for over 30 years on a professional and personal level on just about every brand of MC conceived with no problems to date, and yes on the paint and the plastics ;)

EDIT: It is more solvent than oil

CZroe
August 28th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Hmm... I'm pretty sure that the manual said not to use solvents OR enzymatic cleaners (Simple Green).

WindMeUp
August 28th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Hmm... I'm pretty sure that the manual said not to use solvents OR enzymatic cleaners (Simple Green).
Did you keep it below 4000 Rpm during Break In? :D

CZroe
August 28th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Did you keep it below 4000 Rpm during Break In? :D

Good point, but aren't solvents specifically used for thinning/removing paint and aren't many parts sealed with enzyme-sensitive organic lubricants? We can't ignore EVERYTHING it says.

It is weird that they suggest 90W oil for chain lubrication and yet every "What lube should I use?" thread only mentions wax vs. spray. :D

capt_bugaloo
August 28th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I use Pledge spray-on furniture 'polish' and a soft rag. Works great.

WindMeUp
August 28th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I have used Pledge on my bikes once they are clean, I will have to try it for tar removal. (it keeps bugs from sticking to wind screens too) ;)

CC Cowboy
August 29th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Honda Polish ftw!

Doesn't work on Kawasakis.

Snake
August 29th, 2010, 07:35 AM
+1 for simple green.

As for polishing I have started to use Turtle Wax Ice. Some very good stuff.

Alex
August 29th, 2010, 10:07 AM

:rotflmao:

capt_bugaloo
August 29th, 2010, 10:25 AM

How about Suzuki or Yamaha?

Snake
August 29th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Sorry it will only work on Honda's.

GeneJunkie
August 29th, 2010, 12:07 PM

Sorry it will only work on Honda's.

:rotflmao:

You guys are such punks. How can you not like Honda polish, the stuff is amazing.

Snake
August 29th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Just messing with ya... I have actualy used Honda antifreeze/coolant in my Kawasaki. :eek:

Brian250R
August 29th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I agree with the others that said Simple Green.

t0ast
August 31st, 2010, 10:34 AM
Orange pumice soap - you know, the kind you use to get oil and grease off your hands. If its ok for your skin, its ok for your bike!

kkim
August 31st, 2010, 11:00 AM
Orange pumice soap - you know, the kind you use to get oil and grease off your hands. If its ok for your skin, its ok for your bike!

NO!!! the pumice will scratch the paint.

Brian250R
August 31st, 2010, 11:51 AM

NO!!! the pumice will scratch the paint.

+1
Pumice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumice)

I wouldn't use hydrogen peroxide or many other "skin safe" products on my bike either.

WindMeUp
August 31st, 2010, 01:41 PM

And you guys thought WD40 was wrong :rolleyes:

CZroe
August 31st, 2010, 01:45 PM

You're missing a ";)" smiley to let people know that you're kidding. That stuff works by suspending an abrasive. :eek:

2fiddy
May 25th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Hey guys, this might sound kind of stupid but am I supposed to wash my bike any different from my car? Just wondering if there is something special I should stay away from washing or spraying?

If there is a DIY can someone link me to it?

I have a 2010 Ninja 250r.

Thanks!

whiteboy
May 25th, 2011, 06:19 AM
I'm a bit new to this myself but I think iv read that only use a bucket of water ad soaps and not to use anything that puts out presureized water. But I'd like some recommendations on soaps ad waxes

bdavison
May 25th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Dont use dishsoap...use a CAR/BIKE soap.
Dishsoap has phosphates in it that eat your tires, and the hoses on your bike.

No pressure washers either.

Just good old fashioned water, soap, and some elbow grease.

As far as wax...there are two options.
1. Lemon Pledge - leaves it super glossy shiny, but the first time it gets wet, it all washes away. Also has a tendancy to attract bees from its lemon scent.
2. Meguire's Cleaner Wax - it also leaves a super shiny clean finish, but it gets out most of the particles like a clay bar will. And it stays on even in the wet.

Ive always been partial to the Meguire's line, cant go wrong with this stuff.

Also...NO...under any circumstances EVER use Armor-all any where near your bike.

Alex
May 25th, 2011, 06:30 AM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53982&highlight=washing
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50690&highlight=washing
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46473&highlight=washing
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35965&highlight=washing
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27028&highlight=washing
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11311&highlight=washing

muzkur
May 25th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I use 2 buckets.
1 bucket with water and car soap.
another bucket just with water.

With a wash towel, I use the first bucket to wash the bike and the second bucket to clean the wash towel.

nah.uhh
May 25th, 2011, 09:47 AM
+1 using pledge spprayed on a microfiber cloth, I've never had to scrub to get any grime off
Edit: talk bout an old thread ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

2fiddy
May 25th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I use 2 buckets.
1 bucket with water and car soap.
another bucket just with water.

With a wash towel, I use the first bucket to wash the bike and the second bucket to clean the wash towel.

I was wondering this as well. Just have a bucket instead of using the hose to wash the soap off.

muzkur
May 25th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Yes. With the bucket dont waste water.

Ambar
May 25th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Jeff (Havok) told me I could just drive it through a car wash. :p

Azhyen
May 25th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Jeff (Havok) told me I could just drive it through a car wash. :p

make sure to wear your rain gear, otherwise it's embarrassing coming out soaked...

2fiddy
May 25th, 2011, 10:57 AM
So there really isnt anything on these bikes that cant get wet.

muzkur
May 25th, 2011, 10:58 AM
@Azhyen, Haha. Nice one! :D

Here have some places specialized in bike wash.
The cons: Almost all of these use chemical products who could damage the painting.

Have one place a friend of mine always wash him bike. He says it's a nice place to wash. Price is something around 10 dollars.

kkim
May 25th, 2011, 11:48 AM
So there really isnt anything on these bikes that cant get wet.

avoid getting a lot of water into the end of the muffler.... other than that, wash your bike as you would a car.

2fiddy
May 25th, 2011, 12:31 PM
avoid getting a lot of water into the end of the muffler.... other than that, wash your bike as you would your car.

Yeah, I'd really be only using a bucket of water so I wouldn't be spraying anything so nothing should get in there.

Green Streak
May 25th, 2011, 12:36 PM
avoid getting a lot of water into the end of the muffler.... other than that, wash your bike as you would your car.

Your supposed to manually wash your car? I thought that was what the rain was for. ;) I hate washing my car. I usually have someone else do it. But I have to do the bike myself. I don't like anyone touching my bike.

kkim
May 25th, 2011, 01:10 PM
fixed my reply.

gfloyd2002
May 25th, 2011, 02:41 PM
avoid getting a lot of water into the end of the muffler.... other than that, wash your bike as you would a car.

I use a muffler plug. There is a packing material in mufflers that can get wet and lose effectiveness. You can buy replacement stuffing, but it is a pain in the butt to change it out. Plugs only cost a couple of bucks and have graudated tips to fit different sizes - just make sure you get a 4 stroke model instead of a 2 stroke model.

Other than that, Meguires and elbow grease. :). If you want to see how to really detail a bike, check out a photo, ANY photo, of kkim's bike. Even in the engine area, especially in the engine area, not a spec of dirt. Though it helps he leaves the thing parked most of the time . . . :p

Havok
May 25th, 2011, 02:47 PM
make sure to wear your rain gear, otherwise it's embarrassing coming out soaked...

Lol i did tell her that because it would be funny as hell to watch. Though i am sure both her and the bike would both be mad at me at the end of it lol.

Just take a handful of quarters, a small amount of car/bike soap soft towels and head to your nearest coin operated car wash. Use the car wash spray washer but make sure you set it to the spot free rinse option. the water comes out at the speed of rain, get the bike and towel wet put soap on the towl and have at it, just a couple of times around the plastics then use the spot free rinse again to wash the soap off. Takes about 15 mins or so. then take it home lube your chain and throw your favorite wax on it, i like the nxt wax myself.

Liquidtoon
May 25th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I use a bucket of soapy water and a car sponge, hose down the bike avoiding filling the exhaust and gauges with water then soap it up and rinse. Dry with a regular towel then wax it. But it is all in the details..

I use Maguires and mothers products mostly. Maguires general soap with wax in it works well.
Mothers chrome cleaner does great on the metal parts, rims exhaust ect.
Mothers back to black is amazing for the mirrors, triple tree, side plastics, ect just dont get it on the seat/ grips it makes the rubber sticky when hot.
Finally I wax it first with a coat of Maguires #26 then Maguires #7, they are the liquid waxes, just rub it over the entire plastics and wipe off. I have tried a ton of waxes from several companies I have never seen a better shine or a easier one to go on and off.

LoneRonin
May 26th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Simoniz Wash and Wax Cold water formula. Good stuff and a 1.5 liter bottle is about 8 bucks when on sale. Lasted me over a year....All you need is to add a cap full or so to your bucket of water.

Vegedurden
May 26th, 2011, 07:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai9-hCrS8k4&feature=channel_video_title
:D

vkuchhal
May 26th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I use the Formula one shampoo and wax for washing and cleaning and 3M microfibre cloth as it does not scratch and absorbs all the dirt..

sherwiner
February 21st, 2012, 02:50 PM
very good advice. One thing no one mentioned was the exhaust. When i wash the bike, i usually put a cork in the exhaust.

what about when the bike sits in a sudden rain - does it get down the exhaust pipes?

CynicalC
February 21st, 2012, 03:11 PM
I just use a hose and the regular automotive detailing products i use on my own car. I usually just use a light auto shampoo and pat dry with a waffle weave microfiber towel. I only use the hose on areas like the seat, plastics, wheels, etc, and use a wet towel on the controls/gauges/sensitive areas. I plan to wax it every month or so depending on how much I ride

For "in between" cleanings I use a quick detailer spray on the paint.

Detailing is a little hobby of mine. The results always make it well worth the time spent!

Here's a pic i took after a fresh detail:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x241/aloh874749/CIMG5511.jpg
Is that bent rebar sticking right up out of your driveway?

kcaja1
February 21st, 2012, 03:29 PM
Go to Hooters

SlowBoyRacing
February 21st, 2012, 08:33 PM
what about when the bike sits in a sudden rain - does it get down the exhaust pipes?

I think a hose and running water will get significantly more water down the pipe at a given time frame.

sherwiner
February 21st, 2012, 08:57 PM
that blue bike of yours is absolutely gorgeous! will bet the bent rebar is how you lock it so it doesn't disappear eh?

kamikaze
February 22nd, 2012, 08:52 AM
Is that bent rebar sticking right up out of your driveway?

looks like it. could be an anchor for something :confused:

oreX
February 22nd, 2012, 09:50 AM
2C1qNKY37Wg
dO7Cqaicyog

CaliRider
March 7th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post ever on a forum. I just recently purchased a 2009 ninja 250 and LOVE IT!!! :thumbup:

I want shine my baby up when it gets a little dusty, but it seems that my shining is scratching it... :confused: I have a 100% microfiber towel and a quick shine but seems to still scratch the paint and wind screen. Can anyone give my some advice on what i'm doing wrong?

thanks

gitoy
March 7th, 2012, 07:57 PM
you have to dampen your microfiber...when the surface is clean then you can use wax to shine it...

do what i do...do not clean or wax your bike...just cuts into riding time...that is why my bike looks used...:D...

Gorilla25
March 7th, 2012, 08:17 PM
lemon scented pledge...

Alex
March 7th, 2012, 08:47 PM
/merged with mongo "how to wash my bike" thread :thumbup:

Dano
March 9th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I spray down the bike with S100 bike wash then hose off and dry it. I also stuff a rag in the exhaust to keep water out of it.