View Full Version : Sigh, add my bike (and friend) to the statistics..

Mekkakat
June 1st, 2011, 06:18 AM
Well after a paltry 3 months of ownership, my bike looks like hell... and I wasn't even on it.

I started teaching the MSF around here, and a few friends of mine have been asking me to give them a head start and show them the basics on a bike such as the parts and various things you can learn before *riding* the bike. We were at a Memorial Day cookout, and my oldest friend (who has a drinking problem), decided he didn't need to know anything about riding a bike because he "can ride BMX better than anyone he knows, and drives a manual car". The bike was on because I had literally just showed my friends that WERE trying to learn how to start a bike, and it was on it's stand.

He came over, started saying how he already knew how to ride, and sat on the bike with his hands off. I told him he wasn't going to ride it, and he assured me he wouldn't, but then started going through all the functions (mostly correct, but nonetheless...) Then once I was agreeing that he knew the parts, I went to tell him that that still doesn't mean he can just ride a bike...

He grabbed the clutch and flipped it in gear and took off. At the most 15mph, but not even for a second was he in control or driving straight. he went maybe 20 yards, cut back hard towards us and lowsided my bike. He didn't try to stay with the bike once it went down, which just hurt the fall more, too. He landed mostly in the dirt of some lady's planter, but his arms up to his head hit the road. (oh and btw... no helmet obviously... or sleeves...)

We all rushed over, and the neighborhood had a wealth of people at home, including about 6 nurses who all helped a ton. I got there first and made sure he was breathing and so on, and while he was bleeding a TON, it was only because he had split his head right on the corner of his brow.

This was one of the scariest things I've ever had to experience.

The ER got there, we called and picked up his mom, and about 30 people were at the hospital making sure he was alright. This all happened around 7pm, and by about 1am, three of us got to go back and see him. He was banged up good. Road rash up and down his arms, but nothing you wouldn't catch from a good fall riding a bicycle. He ripped his pinky nail off in the feeble attempt to catch his fall, and broke the very last carpal in it, had to get 6 stitches for the cut on his eye, and fractured his cheekbone, which will be getting a little metal plate for support later today.

I stayed with him up until everyone basically kicked me out and demanded I get some rest, but I can't help but feel like it's more my fault than anything. I hate knowing my best friend could have died in my arms because of MY motorcycle...

My bike is banged up good. It mostly hit the part of the asphalt that curves up on the edge which is pretty rough in texture, so it took some nasty gashes out of the fairings, and the right pipe is... horrible looking. No dents, but it looks like a cheese grater. The oil sight just HAD to go and shatter, so it (obviously) isn't holding oil, and the rest are little things like the peg, front brake, and bar end (all easy to replace).

All in all, everyone is alright, and that's all that matters to me. There are a million 250's, but no matter how irresponsible, there is only one of my friend.

sombo
June 1st, 2011, 06:31 AM
First off, glad he's alive and no major damage. Hopefully what damage he did take will get his ego under control and teach him a very important lesson. Second, don't blame yourself. It was 100% his fault. He came over with a big ego of "oh I know how to ride" and just would NOT listen to you. The ONLY ONE to blame is him. Technically he is also responsible for getting the repairs to your bike. However, since he is your best friend and banged up a good bit I would say it's ok if you soak up the repair bills and just give him some good jabs about not being able to handle the 'monster' a 250 ninja is. :D

Vampyre
June 1st, 2011, 07:10 AM
I would be a bit more harsh than the poster above me. He might have a chance at still being my friend, but he would damn well be responsible for the damage. The fact that you told him "he wasn't going to ride it" and he still did takes all the responsibility off of you. Friends are friends, but people have to be responsible for what they did. Not making him pay for repairs reinforces his "drinking problem". If anything having to pay will be better than the D.U.I. he should have gotten.

Mizono
June 1st, 2011, 07:20 AM
Agreed he is totally responsible for the repair bills. My younger brother let me practice on his bike(now mine) but if i did happen to damage it regardless i would be paying for it. And that was me riding it WITH permission. If someone took off on my bike and damaged it. First obviously make sure they are ok and then start a tab for the repair bills. He was at total fault not you. As mentioned above. he was drinking and had a "im big and bad" attitude going on.

Bosgarage57
June 1st, 2011, 07:24 AM
Sorry Chase, but I agree with Mizono and Vampyre, he should be responsible for the damages. Was he drinking when he done it? It sucks that it happened but you told him he wasnt going to ride it and he did it anyways. But i am glad he is ok and the big is relatively ok.

KJohnson21
June 1st, 2011, 08:06 AM
Blame is all his. You didn't allow him, and you sure as heck weren't encouraging him. You told him he wasn't going to ride it, and he agreed that he wasn't going to ride it. Whether he was lying to begin with or if got "overcome by the moment", it's his fault.

The only other thing you could have done is taken the key away, but he said he wasn't going to ride so that shouldn't have been needed.

All that aside, hope his recovery isn't complicated. And maybe when he's feeling better, he or his family, at least tries to help with the repairs in some way.

CmichRider
June 1st, 2011, 08:12 AM
Send him a bill.

Mekkakat
June 1st, 2011, 08:18 AM
It's just all very frustrating. I know he's good for the repairs and his mom/family is close to mine too, so it's not like he would stiff me, but still.. The bike isn't even paid for yet :(

Any way you look at it, my near mint 07' will never look as clean, and surely won't resell for the break even (or even profit) I was expecting.

CmichRider
June 1st, 2011, 08:33 AM
It's just all very frustrating. I know he's good for the repairs and his mom/family is close to mine too, so it's not like he would stiff me, but still.. The bike isn't even paid for yet :(

Any way you look at it, my near mint 07' will never look as clean, and surely won't resell for the break even (or even profit) I was expecting.

Oh yeah I don't doubt how frustrating it is, and it puts you in kind of a weird spot with your best friend and your bike. You'll handle it whatever way works best though, that's how stuff goes.

I wouldn't worry about the resell. It's a Ninja 250 dude, they sell like hotcakes no matter what the condition. You could leave a steaming pile of poo on the seat for a week and I'm sure someone will give you what you want for it. Once you get it fixed up, there shouldn't be any signs of a lay-down. :thumbup:

Mekkakat
June 1st, 2011, 08:34 AM
Oh yeah I don't doubt how frustrating it is, and it puts you in kind of a weird spot with your best friend and your bike. You'll handle it whatever way works best though, that's how stuff goes.

I wouldn't worry about the resell. It's a Ninja 250 dude, they sell like hotcakes no matter what the condition. You could leave a steaming pile of poo on the seat for a week and I'm sure someone will give you what you want for it. Once you get it fixed up, there shouldn't be any signs of a lay-down. :thumbup:

Thanks Jacob. I kinda needed that reinsurance. I've got some plans for repair in mind so far.

sombo
June 1st, 2011, 09:17 AM
I would be a bit more harsh than the poster above me. He might have a chance at still being my friend, but he would damn well be responsible for the damage. The fact that you told him "he wasn't going to ride it" and he still did takes all the responsibility off of you. Friends are friends, but people have to be responsible for what they did. Not making him pay for repairs reinforces his "drinking problem". If anything having to pay will be better than the D.U.I. he should have gotten.

Oh don't get me wrong, I personally would want to get him to pay the bills. The only thing I was thinking about is how much his own medical bills are gonna cost him. In my mind he sounds like the type that wouldn't have health insurance and that bill will be way more then the bike repair costs. Also considering how the economy is at the moment, and knowing personally how an unexpected medical bill really throws things off, was just figuring the costs of both might be too much for the guy right now. I try to take in all factors and come up with a solution that helps all parties.

Bosgarage57
June 1st, 2011, 09:19 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, I personally would want to get him to pay the bills. The only thing I was thinking about is how much his own medical bills are gonna cost him. In my mind he sounds like the type that wouldn't have health insurance and that bill will be way more then the bike repair costs. Also considering how the economy is at the moment, and knowing personally how an unexpected medical bill really throws things off, was just figuring the costs of both might be too much for the guy right now. I try to take in all factors and come up with a solution that helps all parties.

You sir! Are best friend material.:thumbup:

Jinx250
June 1st, 2011, 09:33 AM
I'm going to depart a tad from everyone else here. Yes, the guy absolutely is responsible for paying to get your bike fixed. There's no doubt about that.

That being said, there's a huge divide between telling someone "You're not going to ride it." and turning off the bike and pulling the key. Coulda saved everyone involved a lot of heartache.

dino74
June 1st, 2011, 09:44 AM
Its better that your friend learned a valuable lesson on 250 at 15 mph versus on a 600cc at 60 mph. Still, it was unfortunate that your bike had to do the teaching. :(

Mekkakat
June 1st, 2011, 09:55 AM
I'm going to depart a tad from everyone else here. Yes, the guy absolutely is responsible for paying to get your bike fixed. There's no doubt about that.

That being said, there's a huge divide between telling someone "You're not going to ride it." and turning off the bike and pulling the key. Coulda saved everyone involved a lot of heartache.

I was on the left hand side of the bike about 2 feet past arms reach of the bike at the time it happened. As soon as he sat down on the bike I started walking towards him telling him it wasn't a lesson in "riding".

He know's he was wrong for even getting on it, let alone the rest. He's 23, but still on his mom's insurance, so he'll be all good for the most part thank goodness.

oroboros
June 1st, 2011, 10:55 AM
You have an asshole for a friend. I really don't want to be mean about it but it was really an incredibly stupid thing to do (goes w/o saying I guess). I am glad to hear that he is going to be O.K.

If he is an alcoholic, like most alcoholics he will not take personal responsibility. Alcoholics by nature are very self centered and immature.

It does not help them by letting them off of the hook and not having to face the consequences of their actions.

This is how most people act around alcoholics - it’s called denial.

sorry... I will get off my soapbox.

Mekkakat
June 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM
You have an asshole for a friend. I really don't want to be mean about it but it was really an incredibly stupid thing to do (goes w/o saying I guess). I am glad to hear that he is going to be O.K.

If he is an alcoholic, like most alcoholics he will not take personal responsibility. Alcoholics by nature are very self centered and immature.

It does not help them by letting them off of the hook and not having to face the consequences of their actions.

This is how most people act around alcoholics - it’s called denial.

sorry... I will get off my soapbox.

I've been friends with him for 15 years, and while I've never condoned drinking or drugs, I will agree that I've let him get too out of control with it as his best friend. I've told him time and time again about how distressed I am with his drinking and habits, but as I'm sure a lot of you know, this is hard to convey when a person has a *problem*.

I've already talked to my friends about a group sit down with him once he gets better. I'm really hoping he's learned something from this.

wtfh4xx
June 1st, 2011, 11:27 AM
Yikes.
This is why I never ever let anyone get near my vehicles when it has the possibility of ignition and im not in the driver seat. Especially when they are being retarded and giving you that grin that says "im gonna smile at you and tell you im not gonna do anything but im DEFINITLY gonna do something".
Hell no.

Any of my vehicles could kill someone in less than 10 seconds, afterall only takes 7 to hit 80 on any of them. Shucks, I got nervous just handing my buddy my keys to let him grab something out of my car when it wasnt in my sight.

He is very lucky that your a good friend and that so many people were around to help him. I am sure he learned his lesson.

Jinx250
June 2nd, 2011, 08:17 AM
I've let him get too out of control with it as his best friend.

He's your friend, so him being "out of control" is not really your responsibility. And not to put too fine a point on it, but eventually you will reach a point where you need to make a choice to either keep being friends, with all the assoicated baggage, or move on. I've been there and done that.

Mekkakat
June 2nd, 2011, 08:21 AM
He's your friend, so him being "out of control" is not really your responsibility. And not to put too fine a point on it, but eventually you will reach a point where you need to make a choice to either keep being friends, with all the assoicated baggage, or move on. I've been there and done that.

after as long as he's been my friend, and as long as he's been doing this kind of dumb stuff, so far I've put up with it until now. He's obviously not always like this, but at the same time, I feel like I need to confront him.

Darling Ninja
June 2nd, 2011, 11:10 AM
I told him he wasn't going to ride it, and he assured me he wouldn't

Whether or not you send him a bill for the repairs is really at your discretion. But if it were me, I would let my insurance handle it. If the insurance is willing to cover for the repairs and asks for the deductible, I would ask your friend to give you that amount. He told you he wouldn't ride it and then rode it anyway.

Mekkakat
June 2nd, 2011, 11:21 AM
Whether or not you send him a bill for the repairs is really at your discretion. But if it were me, I would let my insurance handle it. If the insurance is willing to cover for the repairs and asks for the deductible, I would ask your friend to give you that amount. He told you he wouldn't ride it and then rode it anyway.

I have pretty low coverage, I'll be honest. I wouldn't want either of our premiums going up over something so retarded anyhow. He got out today, and is already looking at ways to pay me back..

He's actually offered twice now to pay off my bike in entirety (which I declined).

CZroe
June 2nd, 2011, 01:06 PM
It doesn't sound like the guy even could pay for the damages after the medical expenses and it sounds like a mess as far as insurance is concerned. Even if the OP has full coverage with uninsured motorist and could get it replaced for running himself into a wall, the insurance company would try to sue his friend to recoup their costs. Because it sounds like they are still friends, it doesn't really sound like an option.

Reddoak
June 10th, 2011, 07:43 PM
A few observations, bear in mind that I'm not friends with either of you, and have nothing to gain or lose:

1. You are not responsible for your friend's "drinking problem." He is an adult, it's not your fault if he can't stop himself. Period. End of discussion on that.

2. What the hell were you thinking letting a person who was impaired, in any fashion, sit on your bike? You are responsible in small part for this. However, I understand that if someone throws a leg over your bike, you can ignore it, tell them to get off, of physically remove them. Sometimes you're better off ignoring it than making a fuss over nothing.

3. Number 2 done yet? Now comes the bad one. You were absolutely, 100% in the wrong letting anyone on your bike with the key in it who does not have your permission to ride the bike. This is the equivalent of handing a person a loaded gun, and saying "don't shoot it." What were you thinking? Were you thinking? I can only hope you learn from the seriousness of this mistake, at the expense of your friends pain and the loss of riding time/money on repairs. If you are not responsible enough to keep your dangerous toys away away from irresponsible people, maybe you should not have them. You could have seen your friend easily kill himself (cracked skull, anyone) or someone else in the area with his riding, and it could have been prevented by you simply putting the key in your pocket. Motorcycles are not harmless toys, and their owners should have more respect for them. As the owner of the bike you can legally be held liable for damages or injuries caused by it, if you do not take reasonable precautions. Leaving the key in it and letting it run while a drunk person sits on it are not reasonable, regardless of what they are telling you.

Anyways, sucks about your bike, really sucks about your friend. I hope you can get both up and running right in timely fashion. Please be careful.

Mekkakat
June 10th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I totally understand and agree, but this all happened in like.. thirty seconds :/ he sat down, told me how he "knew how to ride" and popped off down the street. I understand everything you're saying though, and would have never have wanted or allowed something like this to happen.
Posted via Mobile Device

sombo
June 10th, 2011, 08:03 PM
2. What the hell were you thinking letting a person who was impaired, in any fashion, sit on your bike? You are responsible in small part for this. However, I understand that if someone throws a leg over your bike, you can ignore it, tell them to get off, of physically remove them. Sometimes you're better off ignoring it than making a fuss over nothing.

3. Number 2 done yet? Now comes the bad one. You were absolutely, 100% in the wrong letting anyone on your bike with the key in it who does not have your permission to ride the bike. This is the equivalent of handing a person a loaded gun, and saying "don't shoot it." What were you thinking? Were you thinking? I can only hope you learn from the seriousness of this mistake, at the expense of your friends pain and the loss of riding time/money on repairs. If you are not responsible enough to keep your dangerous toys away away from irresponsible people, maybe you should not have them. You could have seen your friend easily kill himself (cracked skull, anyone) or someone else in the area with his riding, and it could have been prevented by you simply putting the key in your pocket. Motorcycles are not harmless toys, and their owners should have more respect for them. As the owner of the bike you can legally be held liable for damages or injuries caused by it, if you do not take reasonable precautions. Leaving the key in it and letting it run while a drunk person sits on it are not reasonable, regardless of what they are telling you.

I was on the left hand side of the bike about 2 feet past arms reach of the bike at the time it happened. As soon as he sat down on the bike I started walking towards him telling him it wasn't a lesson in "riding".

From the sounds of it the guy hopped on the bike and popped the clutch when he saw an opening big enough to not be stopped in time. Doesn't sound to me like he just let him sit on the bike. More like, owner got off the bike, stepped off to side to give pointers to those he was instructing, and friend takes advantage of this by hopping on for a joy ride before owner could stop him.

The mistake here was being out of range of the bike for a few seconds. But I guarantee that most riders have started their bike and stepped away from it for more then a few seconds. You don't expect some drunk to just suddenly hop on it out of nowhere and pop the clutch before you can react.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm just making an observation and adding a different point of view.

Mekkakat
June 10th, 2011, 08:14 PM
That's actually very accurate as to what happened :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Reddoak
June 11th, 2011, 07:52 AM
That's actually very accurate as to what happened :(
Posted via Mobile Device
Then you know what, that sucked. You can't prevent every accident. Hopefully, someone else reads this thread and prevents one like it in the future.

TnNinjaGirl
June 11th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Show me your friends and I'll show you your future.

With that said, I hope everything gets straightened out!

maxwellca21
June 11th, 2011, 10:29 AM
you need some new friends or a new best friend.

demp
June 12th, 2011, 01:59 PM
you need some new friends or a new best friend.

If my best friend took off on my bike without permission like that....

:o

ungluck
June 12th, 2011, 02:09 PM
that guy isn't a friend..he's a fool. make him pay and part ways with that guy before he hurts someone else or worse..

BlackNinja
June 13th, 2011, 06:04 AM
that guy isn't a friend..he's a fool. make him pay and part ways with that guy before he hurts someone else or worse..

Best response yet!

glock_19
June 13th, 2011, 06:21 AM
He's actually offered twice now to pay off my bike in entirety (which I declined).

Seriously, take the money. If he's a good friend he'll pay you for the damages that HE caused and you'll move on. If he pays you but is bitter for you holding him responsible for HIS stupid actions then he isn't a good friend anyways.

Mekkakat
June 13th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Well I've been rebuilding my bike since all of this happens. You can see my progress here:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76285

I know the red is a bit much, but I'm just trying anything at the moment that isn't buying a new upper cowling and a set of pipes :/

On another, not so nice note, I'm really seeing the true colors of my "friend". I hate to make a story into a personal bit, but you guys have been very helpful and I figured a lot of you should know I should have taken your advice to begin with.

Basically, we share a practice space with a few bands here in the city, and pay space rent. The rent was due around the time he got hurt, and I've always payed the rent money to him, because I didn't know the exact date it was due. Long story short, lately the last thing I was thinking about was that stupid practice space, and apparently the rent was coming up (this past Sunday). He calls up our bassist and tells him to cover his share because he can't work and thus has no money (which isn't true at all, plus he's been going out almost every day). Then he got furious with our bassist because he said no because he didn't have the extra cash.

He starts texting me, telling, not asking, me to pay for his, and that I "should know" that it was due. I explained how I simply forgot, but told him that I didn't have any extra money either at the time, because I had spent a lot of money on fixing up the bike. I didn't mention anything about HIM not paying or even offering me any money, or how I didn't leave his side for 3 days in the hospital, getting him and his mom food and taking her back and forth from her house to the city (an hour round-trip) because she's older and intimidated by city driving. All of this cost money in food, gas, and so on. I don't feel like anything I said deserved any type of reaction like what I got.

He basically (just like this) replied:

OH, RUB IT IN MY FACE. THANK YOU. (this is the *first* time I've mentioned my bike..)
I'M SO SO SORRY I WRECKED YOU PRECIOUS BIKE. I'M SO SORRY.

then (and I'm not kidding, I'm writing this from the text..):

Well maybe if you were more responsible with your money, instead of blowing it all on a broken motorcycle, and budgeted your money better, you'd have some to help your hurt BEST FRIEND WITH. But what do I know?

/end

My response was that I didn't want to honor any of that with a response, and to not talk to me. I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I've lost a 15 year long friend over maybe $300 - $500 of money..

TnNinjaGirl
June 13th, 2011, 08:05 AM
You didn't lose a friend. He isn't a friend. You are better without him. It hurts when you lose a friend like that but this issue isn't about money. Its about trust and responsibility, which he apparently has neither.

sombo
June 13th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Actually I would say you gained some enlightenment to his real self. He's the one that is losing. His actions and lack of planning or being responsible is what put him in the situation he is in. Don't bail him out, this is just what he needs to learn how his own actions are hurting everyone and not just himself.

Mekkakat
June 13th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Either way, I feel slighted. My bike won't ever be up to par for me (I'm a perfectionist with stuff like that), and the loss of a long time friend bums me out.

Blackwidow
June 13th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Lets be honest, if he's your best friend you're not going to straight up ask him for the repair charges, and considering you don't have full coverage going through the insurance company may not be a good option. Hopefully he'll voluntarily offer to pay for the damages, because the bottom line is..he messed up and he needs to take responsibility for his actions. As someone else mentioned, if he is an "alcoholic" then most likely he is not responsible enough to take such an action.

You're in quit a pickle here, you either have to fess up and talk to him about it or you're going to have to pay for the damages, either way...be prepared for let that friendship die, not saying it will, but just be prepared.

also, you have a 250...and its an 07, i'm not sure how much of a profit you could have made on this bike. i wouldn't worry too much about it.

EDIT: nevermind I saw your latest post. SUCKS! take his ass to court...what an ungrateful SOB!!!

shawn57187
June 13th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I would just plan on replacing most of those parts yourself. Your friend is obviously not going to be helping you much. I'd also upgrade your insurance policy after you get everything fixed.

Look at it this way, since you have a pre-gen... many of the parts will be cheaper. The pre-gens have also been in production longer, so there will be many more used parts out there to choose from.

I would buy fairings used and have them painted at a bodyshop. Replace the exhaust with a nice aftermarket slip-on. Used stock exhausts are also pretty cheap.

I know what it's like to be a perfectionist and it may take some time to get your bike back to 100% with a limited budget. Just because your bike doesn't look new doesn't mean you can't enjoy riding it. Next summer you could have it looking perfect again. :)

Anteraan
June 14th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I'm going to "pile on" with everyone who (for lack of a better term) has a low opinion of your friend. I saw this coming in the original story, but then again, my father was an alcoholic.

Simply put, "You are who you run with". For you to be a true friend to him, you would have organized your common friends, involved his family, and had an intervention. I know he may not have been ready to be helped (most addicts have to hit rock bottom first), but you (and everyone else involved) would have had a great basis to not enable him further, which is apparently what happened...and led directly to this incident.

If he was really your friend, he would have responded (even as an addict) in some way/shape/form to the intervention I'm not saying he would have gone cold turkey, but he might have started acting more responsibly and respectfully, especially towards other people's private property.

All that said, I question how good of a friendship you two ever had. You might have spent a ton of time together and been through a lot, but true friends don't let friends suffer with addiction, much less enable it.

I've been pretty strong here, and you very well may not like what I have to say. That's ok. But from someone who has been there, let me tell you this:
One path to a much easier life, is to get those troublesome people out of your life, period. Those who are irresponsible (not acutely, but chronically) are not people I need to invest time in. If I choose to, it's because I see something in them, and I intend to HELP them. If I don't think they can be helped right now, I invest my time in other responsible people. It makes my life a whole lot easier, and we reinforce each others' positive, responsible, and successful behavior patterns.

Doing this has helped me reach a level of inner peace I never knew existed. I hope you find the strength to try this, and that it does the same for you.

I'm glad everyone is ok.

Mekkakat
June 15th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I'm going to "pile on" with everyone who (for lack of a better term) has a low opinion of your friend. I saw this coming in the original story, but then again, my father was an alcoholic.

Simply put, "You are who you run with". For you to be a true friend to him, you would have organized your common friends, involved his family, and had an intervention. I know he may not have been ready to be helped (most addicts have to hit rock bottom first), but you (and everyone else involved) would have had a great basis to not enable him further, which is apparently what happened...and led directly to this incident.

If he was really your friend, he would have responded (even as an addict) in some way/shape/form to the intervention I'm not saying he would have gone cold turkey, but he might have started acting more responsibly and respectfully, especially towards other people's private property.

All that said, I question how good of a friendship you two ever had. You might have spent a ton of time together and been through a lot, but true friends don't let friends suffer with addiction, much less enable it.

I've been pretty strong here, and you very well may not like what I have to say. That's ok. But from someone who has been there, let me tell you this:
One path to a much easier life, is to get those troublesome people out of your life, period. Those who are irresponsible (not acutely, but chronically) are not people I need to invest time in. If I choose to, it's because I see something in them, and I intend to HELP them. If I don't think they can be helped right now, I invest my time in other responsible people. It makes my life a whole lot easier, and we reinforce each others' positive, responsible, and successful behavior patterns.

Doing this has helped me reach a level of inner peace I never knew existed. I hope you find the strength to try this, and that it does the same for you.

I'm glad everyone is ok.

He really started showings signs of this being a real problem this year, and not even 2 weeks before all of this happened, me and two of my other friends were talking of ways to confront him.

He claims he's bipolar and manic depressive, and while he does have prescriptions for those claims, he never takes the medicine and instead has self prescribed himself copious amounts of pot instead :rollseyes:

After this past week, I feel more and more like it's not worth my frustration at this point. The bike is ridable, with time will look fine, and I guess I'll just move on without him.

Bosgarage57
June 15th, 2011, 09:12 AM
After this past week, I feel more and more like it's not worth my frustration at this point. The bike is ridable, with time will look fine, and I guess I'll just move on without him.

If you choice is to move on, and close the friendship (sometimes you just have to, I've had to with my own friends for the drugs I didnt want to be around), then YOU.GET.YOUR.BIKE.FIXED. He needs to pay for what he's done.

phEight
August 2nd, 2011, 09:02 PM
Yikes, you mentioning he's bipolar and prescribed medications changes my entire perspective of this guy. Be aware bipolar people in manic episodes (which are VERY often triggered and compounded by the use of pot) can be highly unstable and do what pleases them moment by moment. Often times that includes saying or doing things that are manipulative and hurtful. I might be wrong, but in some months, when his depressive episode hits, which I assure you it will, he will be in such despair (understatement) over his actions and be extremely regretful. Not just about the incident with your bike, but with his drinking, the way he lied about not being able to work (which really might not be much of a lie at all... I have a bipolar friend who has gone through 18 jobs and he's barely in his mid 20's, one of the intelligent people I know).

You mentioned he's 23... he's at an age where he has yet to have enough bad **** happen to him because of his disorder. Sooner or later when his life keeps ****ing up because of his inability to recognize he has a true disorder that he needs to take medications for, he will seek help and actually take his medications as directed.

Him going out all the time and all that jazz is so typical of manic phases. I'll bet often times he babbles on incoherently, drunk or not drunk, flights of thought, etc. Don't feel hurt over his actions (as hard as that may be). Just let them be. Bipolar disorder is some serious ****, especially uncontrolled and especially with using pot and alcohol.

Sorry to hear about your bike, but I know in some years, you and your bike will be having a great time and the $ involved in this situation will not be that big of a deal. Your 'friend' here, will still be going through a lot of ****. I hope he gets the help he needs.

2011Ninja250R
August 6th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Vampyre hit the nail right on the head in the 2nd response to your thread.

Skippii
August 22nd, 2011, 06:54 PM
Patching up that bike is going to be very easy compared to patching up that friendship. I wish you the best of luck on both.

Edit: I want to clarify that a bit more, because I've been on both sides of situations that have played out in very different ways.

I've had friends who have needed help who decided to end the friendship when I've offered to help.
I've had friends who have ended the friendship when I needed help.
The friends I still have are the ones who have been there to help, whether I wanted it or not.

Mocha Man
August 30th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Wow... I'm glad to see you're still his friend at least. I couldn't say I would've done the same thing! Actually, I'm not sure how I would've reacted. I'd be glad he was alright, pissed he wrecked my bike, and infuriated that he didn't listen to me.

bdavison
August 30th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Im gonna say it once, and hopefully it sticks.
NEVER LET PEOPLE GET ON YOUR BIKE!

This kinda stuff happens all the time. If you let someone get on your bike, then you should be prepared to have something like this happen.

That still doesnt mean he isn't responsible. He should pay IN FULL for the damages to your bike from his stupidity.

Where I'm from, fondling or touching another man's bike is like touching his woman. You just dont do it. And if you do, be prepared for a serious arse kickin.

ninja250
August 31st, 2011, 01:35 AM
The guy is a loser and you shouldn't have let him anywhere near your bike, which you did.

It's both your faults.

Nobody who has been drinking comes anywhere near my ride for any reason.

arse
London? Haha jk ;)