View Full Version : Question about tires

Sailariel
September 29th, 2008, 01:12 PM
My other question involves tyres. The Ninja came with Dunlop 501 bias ply tyres. Are radial tyres recommended? I would suspect that they would perform better and would last longer. Also, could one go a size wider and get better traction, especially in the wet. I know that this is a lot to lay on you, but this is the first bike I have owned with an electric starter, no kick starter, directionals, tubeless tyres, and wheels you don`t need a spoke wrench for. All is not lost. I still know how to adjust carbs (another reason I bought a non FI bike) I can still replace a clutch, cables,etc. I do plan to get a shop manual for my bike.

Alex
September 29th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hi Alex -

There used to be a very significant difference between radial and bias-ply tires. Their differing construction (one with plys that go lengthwise around the tire, the other that go perpendicular to the tire), meant that the tire profile and the strength of the sidewalls were very different.

What that difference also meant was that it was never recommended to mix radial and bias-ply tires on the same bike, and also, bikes designed for one type shouldn't use another type. Radial tires very quickly became known as the higher-performing, higher-spec type of tire, and much of tire development went down that path.

But, for particularly narrow tires (like on our ninjette), it turns out that some of the advantages of radial tires aren't as compelling. And in fact most of the tires that fit our rims aren't using radial construction. But the good news is that the tire compounds themselves aren't terribly different anymore, so a modern bias-ply tire in the correct sizes for our bike can perform quite well in both performance and tire life. People using the ninjette on the track swear by bias-play GT-501's, for example (though perhaps not the OEM version of the 501''s that came with some of our bikes).

What is never recommended is using a different size tire on a rim that wasn't designed for a larger tire. What happens in that case is the sidewalls are squeezed together more than the tire manufacturer intended, which can significantly change the profile (shape) of the tire itself. What tends to happen is that it gets much more sharply pointed, which causes accelerated wear. And when the bike is leaned over, the expected amount of contact with the road can be much less because the shape at full lean is different than was intended. There are problems putting smaller tires than designed as well, with a potential change in tire shape, but also a chance that the beads won't seal properly to hold air in well long-term.

Now folks have gone up a size in the past without the sky falling, but I'd be wary of any claims of improved performance. More than likely performance was the same at best, and likely a little worse than the stock sizes. But a larger tire does look a little better, I guess.

Sailariel
September 30th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I think that the Dunlop 501 tyres are OK. I did experience some squirrlieness with them in a rainstorm--it was a downpour. On my NSU, BMW, Triumph, and Norton, I had great performance with Metzler. I will check with them if they make a tyre in the proper size for the Ninja.

Alex
September 30th, 2008, 05:18 PM
On my NSU, BMW, Triumph, and Norton, I had great performance with Metzler. I will check with them if they make a tyre in the proper size for the Ninja.

Metzeler makes their "Lasertec" model in the correct sizes for the 2008+ Ninjette. The tire's reputation is OK, but it's not an overly sporty/sticky tire. More suited for touring, and it's supposed to be a phenomenal rain tire.

Sailariel
September 30th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Alex, That sounds like my kind of tyre. I am not that much of a performance rider--more a touring type (after all, I am 66years old). I do need a tyre that handles wet roads well. We have lots of fog here in Maine and the Maritimes, and that means wet roads.

kkim
November 10th, 2008, 02:41 PM
My bike came equipped with Bridgestone bt45 tires. I highly recommend them as a great all around tire. Never had issues in water with them and they stick very well in the dry. My riding is more canyon, twisty stuff, so I appreciate a tire that sticks in the corners.

I recently changed to Bridgestone bt090 DOT race radials and am still trying to sort them out (about 100 miles on them, so far). I would recommend for general street usage, go with the original BT45s I had on my bike if you are looking for a bit stickier tire than the Dunlops.

Sailariel
November 10th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Kelley, Thank you for the Heads Up on the Bridgestones. I can`t say that I am unhappy with the Dunlops; It was a horrific downpour when they got their test--and in all fairness, they passed. I now have 4500 miles on them and have to say that I am getting to like them. I like the treatment you gave the back of your bike. Love the Green. I am glad I was able to get a green one as well.

kkim
November 10th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Yes, any tire, with sufficient water, will slip and feel unsecure. It's always wise to slow down to meet the current weather conditions whenever one rides.

Glad to hear your tires are working out for you. I've heard good things about the Dunlops as well. We are fortunate Kawasaki chose to give us a good selection of stock rubber on this bike.

BTW, you do know the Green bikes are the fastest of all the colors, right?? just don't tell Alex. ;)