View Full Version : Look before you change lanes. Really.

Alex
June 2nd, 2011, 09:38 AM
fkJtImjTAtw

Ouch. Great gear on that guy, as well. :D

sombo
June 2nd, 2011, 09:44 AM
That was the scooter riders fault. Not only did he not clear his blind spot properly, he also got over and seemed to hit his brakes to slow down right in front of the cop car. You can see him look over his shoulder, but he proceeded anyway as if he didn't see the car. And just prior to that he looked like he was tailgating pretty hard in the other lane. That guy was riding rather carelessly and he paid the price for it.

TXJ
June 2nd, 2011, 09:45 AM
Ouch! Why he cut the guy off then squeezed the breaks so hard I don't know. Could of been avoided easily.

KJohnson21
June 2nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
He may have turned his head, but he sure as heck wasn't looking.

money
June 2nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
The car maybe shouldn't have been speeding through right lane, but he started braking and laid on the horn before the scooter had even crossed into his lane.

The scooter didn't turn his head till after moving into the right lane, after the car had already been blowing his horn. I can only assume he panicked and hit the breaks instead of the throttle.

ally99
June 2nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
Why the HELL did he slam on brakes AFTER cutting in front of someone? Jackass. Bet that road rash didn't feel too good either.

rusninja
June 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Oh look a tree! XD RAM what was that :P

bdavison
June 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Newb..

Following to closely, failure to signal, failure to check other lane, trying to pass in the right lane, slamming on the brakes, and riding in tshirt and shorts with flipflops....squid.

kkim
June 2nd, 2011, 01:14 PM
lol... you guys do realize the vid was shot from a police car, right?

love how the scooter guy's slippers go flying and he's left running around in his bare feet. :D

CZroe
June 2nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
The scooter rider very clearly head-checked. When he checked his mirrors just beforehand the car was likely no where near him. I'm not saying he's blameless, just that he did check. Once again, I'll play Devil's Advocate here and try to point out faults with both sides.

That was the scooter riders fault. Not only did he not clear his blind spot properly, he also got over and seemed to hit his brakes to slow down right in front of the cop car. You can see him look over his shoulder, but he proceeded anyway as if he didn't see the car. And just prior to that he looked like he was tailgating pretty hard in the other lane. That guy was riding rather carelessly and he paid the price for it.

Actually, the scooter mostly kept up with the car in the original lane even after the impact! Also, he clearly DID look during the lane-change. You usually look in your mirrors until the moment you start the change so that anything immediately beside you or in your blind spot can be reacted to mid-change (snap back into your lane). He likely had been watching his mirror then stopped a second before the head check (big mistake) but the car was way too far behind and going way too fast to be in view beforehand. The fact that it caught up so fast even though the scooter did not slow down much just shows how irresponsibly fast the car was going to be passing on the right (illegal).

Is it even a cop car? I do not hear him calling for assistance or getting out to help. He's also listening to music and not using siren or emergency lights. It sounds/looks more like some dude with a scanner radio.

"Blind spot" has VERY little to do with it because the car was not in his blind spot when he committed to the lane change. He did see the car when it got there because he was in a very exaggerate head-check but it was too late. The car was going so much faster that it only occupied the blind spot for a moment and the collision was already nearly unavoidable at that moment.

Newb..

Following to closely, failure to signal, failure to check other lane, trying to pass in the right lane, slamming on the brakes, and riding in tshirt and shorts with flipflops....squid.

The car was passing on the right too and we have nothing to show that the scooter was intending to pass. After all, he did slam on the brakes. :D

lol... you guys do realize the vid was shot from a police car, right?

love how the scooter guy's slippers go flying and he's left running around in his bare feet. :D

I question it. If that was a police car we should hear his call for help or his jumping out to help. Instead, we see some random dude show up on the side right after you hear the door slam. You also have to wonder how it ended up on YouTube if it really was police video. After all, it does show the officer breaking traffic laws when not responding to an emergency. At first I thought that it might be part of the music because something gets rebroadcasted, not simply repeated, three times at the beginning.

sombo
June 2nd, 2011, 01:46 PM
Actually, the scooter kept up with the car in the original lane even after the impact! Also, he clearly DID look during the lane-change but the car was way too far behind and going way too fast to be in view. The fact that it caught up so fast even though the scooter did not slow down just shows how irresponsibly fast the car was going to be passing on the right (illegal). Is it even a cop car? I do not hear him calling for assistance or getting out to help. He's also listening to music and not using siren or emergency lights. It sounds/looks more like some dude with a scanner radio.

Well to start off, it's not even in the US, it's in Asia somewhere. With that in mind don't expect the police there to be exactly like ours. Just because he is playing music doesn't mean it's not a cop. But to be fair just because we can hear a CB style radio and it has a dash cam also does not guarantee it's a cop. However, you can hear someone get out and try to say something to the guy on what sounds like a mic and speaker. Can't make out what is said because it's not English and all garbled anyway. Passing on the right of a multi-lane highway is not actually illegal. We're taught that you pass on the left, but it's not an actual law for white dotted lined mult-lane highways. And with it being in Asia we don't know the speed limit nor the laws.

The scooter driver was heavily at fault. He did not clear the lane when he got over, he DID slow down as soon as he realized there was a car there, and he got nailed for his bad driving. Always check over your shoulder AND in your mirror before you move over. He did neither, he did not turn his head until he was already in the lane and it was too late.

Even if it's not a cop, the scooter rider was still the main person at fault here.

CZroe
June 2nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
Well to start off, it's not even in the US, it's in Asia somewhere. With that in mind don't expect the police there to be exactly like ours. Just because he is playing music doesn't mean it's not a cop. But to be fair just because we can hear a CB style radio and it has a dash cam also does not guarantee it's a cop. However, you can hear someone get out and try to say something to the guy on what sounds like a mic and speaker. Can't make out what is said because it's not English and all garbled anyway. Passing on the right of a multi-lane highway is not actually illegal. We're taught that you pass on the left, but it's not an actual law for white dotted lined mult-lane highways. And with it being in Asia we don't know the speed limit nor the laws.

The scooter driver was heavily at fault. He did not clear the lane when he got over, he DID slow down as soon as he realized there was a car there, and he got nailed for his bad driving. Always check over your shoulder AND in your mirror before you move over. He did neither, he did not turn his head until he was already in the lane and it was too late.

Even if it's not a cop, the scooter rider was still the main person at fault here.
I know he's mostly at fault, but the head-check was fine if he was properly watching his mirrors. I heavily edited my post above to reflect this and many other things. I paused it where his rear tire was still on the left side of the lane marking and his head WAS turned. If he had been watching his mirrors a moment before turning his head and they were clear then the only place remaining would be his blind spot and the lane to his right, which are both easily rectified by snapping back into the original lane. He obviously waited a second or two after watching his mirrors to move over. Because it appeared wide open and a car would have to be going too fast for that to have changed in so short a time, he didn't feel the need to check again. Obviously, he was wrong. If a car would need to be going ridiculously fast to be a threat and not be beside you or in your blind spot, don't you need to ensure that one isn't going ridiculously fast then? Yep. That's the scooter's major fault, then: trusting an "expired" mirror check.

As for there not being a law, there actually is in most states. Those bumper stickers saying something like "Slow drivers, stay right: It's the Law" always annoyed me because the law is actually that ALL driver stay right EXCEPT to pass. The other lanes are all "passing lanes." This inherently means that slower drivers will be on the right and progressively faster drivers in the left lanes if everyone is obeying the law, but that's the "why" of it.

Cuongism
June 2nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
Silly people, asia doesn't have any traffic laws :p

money
June 2nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
I don't agree on the head-check being correct. If you pause it and inch through slow-mo he doesn't seem to turn his head till his front wheel is already into the right lane. This screen grab is the closest I could get to when I could first see him turning his head, and he is already committed to crossing.

CZroe
June 2nd, 2011, 02:26 PM
I don't agree on the head-check being correct. If you pause it and inch through slow-mo he doesn't seem to turn his head till his front wheel is already into the right lane. This screen grab is the closest I could get to when I could first see him turning his head, and he is already committed to crossing.

That's exactly the frame I'm talking about and it's almost exactly when a final head-check should start. A little earlier couldn't hurt in most cases but the later the better in this particular one (you aren't supposed to be looking far behind like it was a rear-view mirror or at anything that your mirrors would have shown you). Like I was saying, if he took his view immediately from the mirrors to the lane, he would have seen any thing a head-check is meant for in time to move back into his lane. Touching the line is not "committed" on a motorcycle. A head check is NOT meant for looking at what is speeding up from behind but, rather, at what your mirrors do not show you, especially if there is a third lane beyond. As you can also, see, the car is in mirror range at that point so he should have seen him if he were looking at his mirror immediately prior. Obviously, he wasn't doing what he should have been doing.

ally99
June 2nd, 2011, 04:09 PM
Be aware of everything in all directions around you before passing...or don't pass. :2cents:

Havok
June 2nd, 2011, 04:28 PM

Perfect pic, look at how much distance is between him and the car and he has all ready started his change. The car was going to fast and should have seen him. If i was looking to change lanes and a car was that far back i would do it as well. Hitting the brakes was dumb though but the car should have slowed to proper following distance as he had plenty of time.

rockNroll
June 2nd, 2011, 04:38 PM
That was funny to watch. Hope he learnt sumthin :crutch:

Cuongism
June 2nd, 2011, 05:39 PM
Btw, can anyone read the blue sign that says keep left near the crash? Could be in a country where the right lane is the fast/passing lane (or outer lane as they call it).

ScorpionNinja
June 2nd, 2011, 06:45 PM
I dont feel sorry for this Tard one bit man!!!

Im glad he got messed up, maybe this made him give up motorcycling/scootering for good. One less Tard on the road!!!

jshox
June 2nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
It was so funny watching him run around with no shoes on.

CZroe
June 2nd, 2011, 08:48 PM
fkJtImjTAtw

Ouch. Great gear on that guy, as well. :D

Indeed. I paused it on a funny frame where his sandal was flying off and couldn't help but LOL.

Kevin2109
June 2nd, 2011, 08:57 PM
Btw, can anyone read the blue sign that says keep left near the crash? Could be in a country where the right lane is the fast/passing lane (or outer lane as they call it).

In English at the top it says keep left, apparently he cant read lol

Kevin2109
June 2nd, 2011, 08:59 PM
hahahaha, Its so wrong to laugh at people pain ;)

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8396/unleduum.jpg (http://img31.imageshack.us/i/unleduum.jpg/)

Jinx250
June 3rd, 2011, 09:10 AM
hahahaha, Its so wrong to laugh at people pain ;)

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8396/unleduum.jpg (http://img31.imageshack.us/i/unleduum.jpg/)

I can't stop laughing. Someone throw in the caption "Jeebus - I'm coming!!"

Seriously though, in theory the car could have slowed enough to not hit him, but at the end of the day, the general right of way rules state that the person making the move must make sure it is clear to do so. The crappy head check as he's crossing the line would not have revealed anything that was right next to him. That's why you should always look completely over your shoulder. I never use my mirrors for lane changes, because they do not give as good a picture as a good hard look over the shoulder.

kaiserz
June 5th, 2011, 11:33 PM
You guys have to take in consideration that this was in a different country, we don't really know what the "rules" are and stuff.

But to give you guys an idea what "traffic" / "rules" is/are like in some countries I present you this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73_wfT8OgcM&feature=related also this was taken the year 2007 - 2008? where they didn't have that much motorcycles on roads, but now it's different, imagine that + tons of motorcycles...

Azhyen
June 6th, 2011, 01:11 AM
You guys have to take in consideration that this was in a different country, we don't really know what the "rules" are and stuff.

But to give you guys an idea what "traffic" / "rules" is/are like in some countries I present you this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73_wfT8OgcM&feature=related also this was taken the year 2007 - 2008? where they didn't have that much motorcycles on roads, but now it's different, imagine that + tons of motorcycles...

Then you want this:
g46vxZRIFq8

Moldbuster
June 7th, 2011, 07:50 PM
My Safety Minions are going to have a talk with that boy. He obviously misunderstood ATGATT and was employing NOTGAAT. Bet that road rash hurts!

Peanut_EOD
June 11th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Listen closely. I think the Police car is a Subaru.