View Full Version : Dropped my bike trying to avoid a puddle :(

pilotgeorge747
June 2nd, 2011, 04:44 PM
So a month after getting my Ninja 250 I was making a left turn into an apartment complex. Well I had just washed the bike the day before and when i saw a puddle of water in the little trench between the road and driveway I attempted to make it a wider turn than i should have. Before I knew it I was headed too close to the curve. Im pretty sure I freaked out and hit the brakes while leaning for the turn (I know rule #1 no braking unless upright) and the bike went over. It was a short slid and I remained with the bike. I was prolly going less than 5mph and in about 2nd gear. I ended up with a small scrap on my left knee and I went to an urgent care place and they said I fractured my first metacarpal in my left hand. I go to the orthopedic tomorrow to get a better diagnosis. I was wearing helmet, jacket, and gloves at the time.

The bike has some bad scratches on the left fairings and a crack on the left fairing below the black console panel. The turn signal broke off, scratched the bar end and clutch handle. The shifter is also bent inwards. The biggest problem I have is after having someone straighten the shifter it seems like it will shift down the 1st gear, neutral, and I think that it will even click up again into 2nd. Keep in mind that when it goes all the way down to first and up once the neutral light doesnt come on. Then it will click up again into 2nd I assume. Now the engine will not start or even turn over with the ingnition on, kill switch on run, clutch pulled in (checked cable still connected both ends). Im guessing that whatever is preventing the neutral light from coming on may be preventing it from starting. Anyone have any ideas?

I know that this was a stupid drop/crash and an even worse reason for trying to make such a wide turn near the curb. I look at it as considering the other possible outcome of hitting the curb and possibly going over the handlebars would have been a lot worse. I know will be out of riding for at least a month or two while my hand heals. Then will be time to try to get my bike to start again and replace the fairings and anything else. This was a good learning experience for sure!

Alex
June 2nd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Youch! Glad your injuries were relatively minor.

Why don't you have a seat over here. (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25913) :)

pilotgeorge747
June 2nd, 2011, 05:02 PM
Youch! Glad your injuries were relatively minor.

Why don't you have a seat over here. (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25913) :)

Yeah I already voted on that poll lol. Yeah My injuries could have been a lot worse. This is the first time I have ever fractured a bone in my life! Kinda sucks that it happened from such a slow crash tho!

Azhyen
June 2nd, 2011, 06:03 PM
Glad you're still with us, chalk it up to experience.

Sounds like your bike is going from 1st to 2nd, that's why the neutral light doesn't come on and your bike doesn't start. The bike won't start in a gear.

coondog
June 2nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
You should find a doctor that never retired and get an old Hard Cast put on. New Age ($$$$$) will guarantee screws will be needed for at least a month AND with a cast, then removal which seems like they're destroying the purpose of the screws, and finally another cast for 4-6 weeks. My doctor in backwoods Georgia set that puppy in place and did his plastering and in 6 weeks for a fee i didn't pull out my insurance card for, i was fine. Good Luck.
I mean it, you'll see. Look up the bone in your hand and tell me I'm wrong.

pilotgeorge747
June 2nd, 2011, 06:17 PM
Glad you're still with us, chalk it up to experience.

Sounds like your bike is going from 1st to 2nd, that's why the neutral light doesn't come on and your bike doesn't start. The bike won't start in a gear.

Well the shifter will go all the way down as well as click 2 times up. So when I click it up once from all the way down it should be in neutral? Also shouldnt the bike start even if its in gear as long as the kickstand is up and the clutch is held in?

pilotgeorge747
June 2nd, 2011, 06:21 PM
You should find a doctor that never retired and get an old Hard Cast put on. New Age ($$$$$) will guarantee screws will be needed for at least a month AND with a cast, then removal which seems like they're destroying the purpose of the screws, and finally another cast for 4-6 weeks. My doctor in backwoods Georgia set that puppy in place and did his plastering and in 6 weeks for a fee i didn't pull out my insurance card for, i was fine. Good Luck.
I mean it, you'll see. Look up the bone in your hand and tell me I'm wrong.

Oh god I didnt even think of surgery or screws. Im hoping its just a simple fracture and only needs a splint or cast and ill be fine!

Little_Ghost
June 2nd, 2011, 06:32 PM
Glad to hear you are okay.

If you are looking at getting new fairings...
This thread may interest you. (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74350)

coondog
June 2nd, 2011, 06:38 PM
Oh god I didnt even think of surgery or screws. Im hoping its just a simple fracture and only needs a splint or cast and ill be fine!

NO NO NO, Suck out as much as possible. The bigger the med center the bigger-longer the process and those involved. I fractured mine avoiding a squirrel and ran off a bit onto a lawn. The lawn had a huge swale and the owner hid it, kept the grass even, imagine my surprise. I still managed to leave the bike and almost made the rollover onto my back, just the last pinky finger got left behind. I run squirrels over now.

whiteboy
June 2nd, 2011, 06:45 PM
Don't worry bout the fracture they heal in te in fact I have a fractur in my hand now from a crate smashing down on it it hurts alot but I will heal the body takes time for these things after all people did live on befor doctors came in. Sorry to hear about the accident hope all is good and the bike will heal just I'm a different way($$$$). Hope you get back up on her soon

Cuongism
June 2nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
Well the shifter will go all the way down as well as click 2 times up. So when I click it up once from all the way down it should be in neutral? Also shouldnt the bike start even if its in gear as long as the kickstand is up and the clutch is held in?

It actually sounds like you're not in first gear. If you're in first gear, the shifter won't go past neutral if you're at a standstill so it shouldn't feel like it's clicking up. Try rolling your bike and shifting down to get it to first. And yes, you can start the bike in first gear with the kickstand up and clutch pulled in.

CZroe
June 2nd, 2011, 09:14 PM
It actually sounds like you're not in first gear. If you're in first gear, the shifter won't go past neutral if you're at a standstill so it shouldn't feel like it's clicking up. Try rolling your bike and shifting down to get it to first. And yes, you can start the bike in first gear with the kickstand up and clutch pulled in.
This. Also, check the kick stand switch.

wtfh4xx
June 2nd, 2011, 11:33 PM
This. Also, check the kick stand switch.

Word, kick stand switch in the down position kills the bike when its in gear.
Sorry about your accident, live n learn.
Ill be sure to ride right through them puddles now :rolleyes:

CynicalC
June 3rd, 2011, 02:18 AM
Sucks to hear about the accident. Could have been worse. As far as medical advice, get it from your doctor. Nobody here is qualified to tell you what to do without seeing your injury firsthand. :)

bonbon76
June 3rd, 2011, 05:37 AM
Panic is us Newbies ultimate enemy! LOL.... There have been a few times I paniced and made an error and thanked god I wasnt on a 600. An error on a 250 is, most of the time, controlable. But on a touchy/sensitive 600, OUCH! :eek:

Glad your mostly ok. Hope you heal up fast...

pilotgeorge747
June 3rd, 2011, 02:38 PM
Well went to the orthopedic today and found out it's a simple fracture of the metacarpal. Doctor said since its a clean fracture theres almost zero chance of needing anything but a cast for 3 weeks. I got a cast (wish it was just a splint) and was told to come back in 3 weeks to get it x-rayed again and depending on how that looks maybe get the cast off. That made Me feel a little better seeing how I may be able to ride again in about a month. Now it's time to look into ehy it wont start, start ordering my fairings and sliders and getting them installed so my bikes ready once I am. Thanks for the good wishes everyone!

pilotgeorge747
June 3rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
Well I was able to get the bike started. I did the same thing I have been doing (putting kickstand up putting it where neutral should be) and this time the neutral light came on and the bike cranked and started up. I also removed the side fairings awhile, as well as drained the carbs and removed the battery to connect to a mantainer. Even though it will only be about a month before I can ride again *knock on wood* when I first got the bike the previous owner didnt store it right and the carb jets were all gummed out so I had to remove the carbs clean them and put in a Factory Pro Jet Kit. I do not want to go through that hassle again!

For your enertainment here are some of my bike and I's injuries...
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/pilotgeorge747/Ninja%20250R/image2.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/pilotgeorge747/Ninja%20250R/image4.jpg

ally99
June 3rd, 2011, 04:39 PM
Also shouldnt the bike start even if its in gear as long as the kickstand is up and the clutch is held in?

Yep, it sure will! :thumbup: