View Full Version : how do you keep your head from ****ing with you

Havok
June 2nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
ok so on the street i can slam the bike around here to there, turns at high speeds full confidence the works. When i get into the canyons and hit the twisties its a different story, i freeze up, Do not feel comfortable and am rather slow and deliberate in my moves. Part of it are the lines i take but the biggest difference is i have time before the turn and nothing to think about but the turn. On the street i have to watch traffic and lights and pedestrians so a lot of what i do is on instinct, when i have time to plan it out and think about the turn with it just me and the road i over think it and my head gets in the way. Is there any way to get around this or is it just time and practice.

rockNroll
June 2nd, 2011, 05:08 PM
When you're thinking about the turn, think about the objective, not about whether or not you're gonna **** it up. Identify the corner, shape, surface, etc. Decide what you wanna do with it... you already know what you're sposed to do, right? If you don't know yet, find out, then go out and do it. Have a plan! Have a plan!

JeffM
June 2nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
What Rock said.

Also; I'm not sure, Jeff, that slow and deliberate is a bad thing in the canyons. Remember the racers mantra: "Slow in out fast" that describes the deliberate and quick way to set up a corner.

Riding the twisties is different than riding the street. The canyons require you develop a rhythm of sorts that flows through multiple turns. I think that you are fitting a square peg into a round hole with your thinking. Point and shoot riding doesn't fit the canyons.

Slow and deliberate will turn into deliberate, safe, and quick in the canyons.

Here are some things to learn to keep your mind occupied while cornering in the canyons (apologies if some of this is basic):

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/safety-skills/RS-cc1.htm

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/safety-skills/RS-cc2.htm

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/safety-skills/road_science-CC3.htm

Jeff

seanski41
June 24th, 2011, 12:29 PM
:ganja:

:p

Kevin2109
June 24th, 2011, 12:37 PM
:ganja:

:whathesaid:

setasai
June 24th, 2011, 11:32 PM
What Rock said.

Also; I'm not sure, Jeff, that slow and deliberate is a bad thing in the canyons. Remember the racers mantra: "Slow in out fast" that describes the deliberate and quick way to set up a corner.

Riding the twisties is different than riding the street. The canyons require you develop a rhythm of sorts that flows through multiple turns. I think that you are fitting a square peg into a round hole with your thinking. Point and shoot riding doesn't fit the canyons.

Slow and deliberate will turn into deliberate, safe, and quick in the canyons.

This is especially true in the canyons because of all the blind turns. I usually think about how much fun I'm having and just let my body do the rest.

00NissanNinja
June 24th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Now that you mention it, I don't think I ever really think deliberately about how I am going to attack a corner. I just let it flow and subconsciously adjust for whatever I need to. Its kind of like sparring with someone; you don't think too much about how you are going to fight you just come up with what needed to be done in an instant and proceed with an action.

gfloyd2002
June 25th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Here are some things to learn to keep your mind occupied while cornering in the canyons (apologies if some of this is basic):

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/safety-skills/RS-cc1.htm

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/safety-skills/RS-cc2.htm

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/safety-skills/road_science-CC3.htm

Jeff

:bow:David Hough

Liquidtoon
June 25th, 2011, 10:46 AM
A nice set of headphones drop a mp3 player in your pocket and just go with it like a sound track. I got a handlebar mount for my phone and put Pandora on it, can change stations at stops, find a goove that works for you and enjoy.

almost40
June 29th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Goto a track to build your confidence.

Havok
June 29th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions gys, i will take all of them into consideration. I am thinking of going to a track as well so i can be safer and really push myself.

alex.s
June 29th, 2011, 03:38 PM
jeff, repetition.
if you go to the track let me know, i'll go with you! :D

almost40
June 29th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions gys, i will take all of them into consideration. I am thinking of going to a track as well so i can be safer and really push myself.

And once you get the feel and really wana go fast. Have the front end of your FZ redone for your weight, slap on some stainless lines a and HH pads and a sticky set of rubber and take that to the track.

phr3ek
June 29th, 2011, 06:45 PM
once you get really familiar with the roads you are taking confidence will take over

i am always nervous and on a look out on roads i have never or hardly ride on, there could be sand, rocks, trash, leaves, or anything that would refrain me from being aggressive

but on the roads i know and ride everyday, i take it full throttle, hard braking, leaned over looking through the turn

also what i wear affects my confidence
big confidence booster for me are the sidi boots, i believe if i ever go down, i will be relatively ok, as opposed to my broke down crap vans that slip off
so i dont really worry about "crashing" when im wearing boots, i just go bawlz out
if i had pants with pucks, i would hang off the bike more

idk if this will help but, DONT THINK TOO MUCH
just know how long and sharp the turn is, adjust speed and body position and go
dont think about traffic, dont think about hazards, dont think about that hot half nekkid chick in the car you just passed
just look through the turn and go

if you look directly in front of you, you will turn wide
if you look way ahead of you, like they teach in MSF, you WONT notice that you are leaned over farther than you normally do

fujimumu
June 29th, 2011, 07:18 PM
go faster

SNAPPY
June 29th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Goto a track to build your confidence.

+1

For a street rider, the track can be a very humbling experience. If you use it for what it is though, a place dedicated to helping you ride your bike better, it will help you become a much better rider than you ever though possible. The street, neither city or canyon(They're both "street".) is not the place to push it. Adding "distractions" or shifting focus away from any aspect of your riding is the complete opposite of what you need to do.

I have several bikes, a couple being liter bikes, and I have never had more fun on the track than when I'm on the 2fiddy. I picked one up a few months ago after endurance racing a buddy of mine's. Nothing's more awesome than riding a little 250 at a TD and hunting down some guy who's on a $18k duc. Sure he'll pull ya in the straights but even after that, when you pass him on the outside of the very next turn, despite having 1/4 the displacement you realize who the better rider is.

Get to the track man. You'll find all the answers to all your questions there.
:thumbup:

Kevin2109
June 29th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Jeff let me know if/when you go to the track, I would love to join!

alex.s
June 29th, 2011, 09:50 PM
it sounds like the socal group needs to organize a track day... whos got a truck? :D

Kevin2109
June 29th, 2011, 09:54 PM
wait why a truck :confused:

alex.s
June 29th, 2011, 09:57 PM
or trailer i guess? usually you tow the bikes to the track cause you'll be worn out at the end of the day, not to mention if something gets messed up from a drop. plus you can't carry a tent and food and other supplies very easily on just a bike

Kevin2109
June 29th, 2011, 09:59 PM
or trailer i guess? usually you tow the bikes to the track cause you'll be worn out at the end of the day, not to mention if something gets messed up from a drop. plus you can't carry a tent and food and other supplies very easily on just a bike

That makes sense! lol I guess a full day of all out riding would get tiring :thumbup: So when is this going down? I gotta break my new tires in :p

alex.s
June 29th, 2011, 10:04 PM
i'm pretty sure all the local track days would be booked for at least a month or two so maybe we should start a thread to get planning... i want to take the fzr so i'll need to do some work to get it track ready... luckily i won't have to do much safety wire! :rotflmao:

phr3ek
June 29th, 2011, 11:32 PM
do you two have full suits and full gauntlet gloves?
just making sure you guys have the required gear b4 you go buying tickets

i plan on getting a hitch for my STi and eventually get a trailer, rent uhaul b4 then