View Full Version : Corner Entry (RPM)

Francis
June 5th, 2011, 12:44 AM
It probably depends on which kind of corners we're talking about, but what RPMs do you guys try to achieve when entering a corner?

At first, I enter at a higher gear and be around 6-7k. Thinking about it now, seems dangerous.

Now, I've been breaking, downshifting and trying to enter at around 8-9k rpm. I tend to have the throttle open half way while I'm in the turn and just roll and open it more and upshift.

Should I be doing what I did before and enter at a lower RPM, have the throttle mostly closed and roll?

I should probably get that Twist of the Wrist 2. Doing some quick skimming about corner entry and such and many people suggest that book.

Alex
June 5th, 2011, 12:45 AM
/moved to riding skills forum

gfloyd2002
June 5th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Other good books inclue Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough and More Proficient Motorcycling by the same author.

I think this is a good question for the Ninjette particularly. On my old bike, which wasn't as high revving, corner entry RPM was a non-issue, as I didn't seem to have nearly the same amount of engine braking as the ninjette and I had access to more low RPM torque to get out of corners. With the high RPM ninja, it feels like there is stronger engine braking, so entering the corner at high RPM and not being on the throttle risks putting the back tire out. By the same token, going into a corner with RPMs too low kills your corner exit because of the pityful ninjette power curve at low RPMs.

For me, the key is keeping the RPMs up, but making damn sure I've slowed enough going into the corner that I can have constant maintenance throttle during the turn, and have access to the powerband coming out of the corner. I'll keep it at 8k or so on entry, but am off the throttle more than you are at first. I just have enough throttle in the first part of the corner to keep engine braking out of play and maximize grip -- for me 1/2 throttle is too much. I'll roll on after I'm ready to start coming out of the corner, and am at WOT by exit if I'm really thrashing it.

Don't know if that is the right way to do it, but it is what I do. I'd love to get input from some of our racing guys and more experienced riders.

wtfh4xx
June 5th, 2011, 10:58 AM
definitely agree, looking forward to input by experienced riders.

ally99
June 5th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Other good books inclue Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough and More Proficient Motorcycling by the same author.

Also Total Control by Lee Parks who gives great cornering explanations.
Yes, you're right, it does depend on the type of corner as to RPMs, but I do tend to like my RPMs a bit higher upon entry, but not so high that I'll hit the Rev Limiter at the apex! On familiar "sweepers", I tend to start in around 5-6k, however, on very tight low speed turns (such as those encountered in the mountains), I prefer the RPMs to be much higher b/c I want plenty of pull through that tight corner and I know I won't be railing hard on the throttle through tighter turns. Just my pref though. We all have our ways! Definitely read the books, Twist of the Wrist being the best to start with if you're focusing on cornering!

blink
June 7th, 2011, 10:42 AM
High rpma ia good because you have the ease and safety of making adjustments to your line with slighter throttle movement

rockNroll
June 7th, 2011, 11:39 AM
High rpma ia good because you have the ease and safety of making adjustments to your line with slighter throttle movement

Not to high! You need to allow for the rpm increase that's gonna happen just because the bike leaned over on the rear tire and then more for your throttle roll on through the turn. You don't wanna tag the rev limiter while still turning.

blink
June 7th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Completely agreed. Mid rpms =p

Misti
June 7th, 2011, 02:50 PM
It probably depends on which kind of corners we're talking about, but what RPMs do you guys try to achieve when entering a corner?

At first, I enter at a higher gear and be around 6-7k. Thinking about it now, seems dangerous.

Now, I've been breaking, downshifting and trying to enter at around 8-9k rpm. I tend to have the throttle open half way while I'm in the turn and just roll and open it more and upshift.

Should I be doing what I did before and enter at a lower RPM, have the throttle mostly closed and roll?

I should probably get that Twist of the Wrist 2. Doing some quick skimming about corner entry and such and many people suggest that book.

Instead of looking so much at the exact RPM's at this point I'd concentrate a little bit more on your throttle control THROUGH the turn. You mention at first entering the corner, holding the throttle open half way and then rolling it on later.

Good throttle control should have you getting your bike fully turned and once it is turned rolling on the throttle "smoothly, evenly and consistently throughout the remainder of the turn." (From Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist II). This way you get the proper weight transfer from front to rear tire and enable the bike to be as stable as possible.

Once you have a feeling for that you can experiment a bit more with gearing, downshifting and ideal RPM range for cornering as long as you are ROLLING ON THE THROTTLE THROUGHOUT THE TURN :)

Hope that helps,
Misti

oblivion007
June 7th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I typically keep the gear low and rpms in the 6k+ range, never checked. I just do it so I have good response in and out of the turn in case it is needed.

00NissanNinja
June 7th, 2011, 06:44 PM
On the street I enter at about 6-8k. On the track 8-10k(most often on the track I do about 9,000-ish since that is were my bike seems most responsive).

Francis
June 9th, 2011, 09:25 AM
The only reason I enter at high RPM (around 8k) was to have 'stopping' power in case I come in too hot.

Instead of using my rear brake, I can just roll off the throttle.

I guess my problem is entry speed then? When I brake, I always feel like I didn't brake properly because once I let go of the brake pressure, it 'seems' like it goes back to the previous speed.

I should do some track days.

ally99
June 10th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Instead of using my rear brake, I can just roll off the throttle.

I guess my problem is entry speed then?

I should do some track days.

Yes, your problem is entry speed. If you frequently feel like you need to slow down in the corner (which you likely don't. Our bikes will lean MUCH farther than one thinks is possible.), you need to slow down more before the turn. Rolling off the throttle is a bit like using the rear brake because doing so essentially slows the bike from the rear anyway. It's called engine braking. Your bike is less stable when not being given any throttle in a corner.