View Full Version : Accidently shifting into neutral

Boom King
June 5th, 2011, 04:14 PM
So I have some new boots that I'm still getting used to. The soles and toe box area are thicker than what I'm used to in my last pair. When I went riding today, accelerating from a stop a couple of times I didn't click all the way into second gear when I thought I did and the bike was in neutral. I had traffic behind me so I could only slow down so much. I just pulled in the clutch and rolled off the throttle, made sure it clicked into second and gave it throttle again.

I usually shift out of first anywhere from 8000 to 9000 RPM so rolling off the throttle to get it from neutral to second would have put the tach needle around that or a bit lower I think. My noobish question here is did I do any damage to the gears or transmission :confused:. Bike seemed fine the rest of the ride.

What do experienced riders here suggest to do in a situation like this?

rockNroll
June 5th, 2011, 05:21 PM
So I have some new boots that I'm still getting used to. The soles and toe box area are thicker than what I'm used to in my last pair. When I went riding today, accelerating from a stop a couple of times I didn't click all the way into second gear when I thought I did and the bike was in neutral. I had traffic behind me so I could only slow down so much. I just pulled in the clutch and rolled off the throttle, made sure it clicked into second and gave it throttle again.

I usually shift out of first anywhere from 8000 to 9000 RPM so rolling off the throttle to get it from neutral to second would have put the tach needle around that or a bit lower I think. My noobish question here is did I do any damage to the gears or transmission :confused:. Bike seemed fine the rest of the ride.

I don't see where I would expect any kind of damage from this. I say good to go!

Adjust your shift linkage to make room for your thickest boot toe. My Sidi boots have the tallest toe of all my boots so I have my linkage adjusted for them. When I wear my Alpinestars I have to lift my toe "extra" to get the shift.

ally99
June 5th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I've done that many times in my riding. As long as you shift up and not down, your damage should be minimal, if any at all. It's never seemed to affect my tranny. :)

Alex
June 5th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Yup, if in doubt, always shift up. :thumbup:

/moved to riding skills

kkim
June 5th, 2011, 09:46 PM

adjust your shifter linkage so this doesn't happen. :)

kaiserz
June 5th, 2011, 10:29 PM
This used to happen to me like almost all the time when I was a newer rider.

Mr. Kkim what's a shifter linkage, (sorry for my lack of knowledge )

kkim
June 5th, 2011, 11:30 PM
what's a shifter linkage, (sorry for my lack of knowledge )

it's that metal rod that runs between the shifter pedal and the engine. it has 2 lock nuts on it. loosen them and you will be able to turn the rod to lengthen or shorten it, thereby adjusting the shift lever height in the process. watch out, the front lock nut is reverse threaded and needs to be turned in the opposite direction to loosen it than from normal.

a DIY w/ some pics...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15136

Ria44
June 7th, 2011, 09:16 AM
omg. i shifted into neutral when i took my test right in the S curve. ugh.