View Full Version : Yay for distracted drivers

sombo
June 6th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Ok so today on the way home from work I was involved in a small accident. Of course, not my fault in any way shape or form, nor could I really have avoided it.

All traffic had stopped at the red light, including the cars behind me. No problem, right? You would think so. So we're all sitting there waiting for the lights to change with the next set in the line-up being the left turning lanes. I was in the right lane with 2 cars in front, don't know how many behind. So the left turning lane gets it's arrows, there's no separate right turning lane so there really shouldn't be any confusion. Next thing I know I hear a crunch, feel a major shove from the rear, and am helpless as my bike goes down on it's right side.

The driver turned out to be an ex navy female who had been arguing on the phone with her ex-girlfriend (yes that is correct). She was of course upset from having a rough day, having had an argument, and then thought the light had gone green so she started to go not realizing I was still there.

Damage done:

My 1994 Ninja 250:
license plate got bent, but I straightened out there no biggy
helmet lock is trashed being bent in half
right handlebar is bent
a few more new scratches added to the ones already on the right side and a new small dent in the exhaust pipe

Her Chevy Monte Carlo:
front bumper damage next to the headlight near grill, and below the headlight near the foglight
front fender damage behind the headlight
and possibly a little damage to the hood also near the headlight

We both agreed that she actually took the brunt of the damage (yay for the strength of the pre-gen :D ). We also did report to the police, and the insurance companies. She knows she's at fault and never tried to say otherwise to anyone. She even said she had been thinking about a bike and now feels completely stupid. I'm staying out of that and her personal life as she was arguing quite a lot with her ex about the insurance and such.

As for damage to me. Well I never hit the ground so no scrapes and no visible bruises. However, the impact seems to have done something to my left hip joint. I might try to see a doctor about it, but don't need yet another medical bill having JUST got my appendix taken out about 2 weeks ago.

On the bright side, if they pay up to 80% the book value of my bike and go by KBB instead of nada, I might get enough money to get the other work I've been trying to save up for done. I will beg cry and plead with them to not try and total it just because of the cost of plastics. Structurally and mechanically it's fine from the impact. Just need a new right handlebar, and new helmet lock and it's good to go. The other stuff it needs was already pre-existing anyway. Like the exhaust was already on the list to be replaced this year.

So that was my ride home. I can't really see anyway I could have avoided that since there was no time to react to a car deciding to start moving when only a couple feet behind me.

gogoKawi
June 6th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Definitely sucks. But, glad you are ok. Hopefully things will work out and you can get your bike back in shape.

wtfh4xx
June 6th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Sorry to hear man, glad your ok though.
Coulda turned out bad if you hit the ground and she didnt hit the brakes.

money
June 6th, 2011, 10:16 PM
s for damage to me. Well I never hit the ground so no scrapes and no visible bruises. However, the impact seems to have done something to my left hip joint. I might try to see a doctor about it, but don't need yet another medical bill having JUST got my appendix taken out about 2 weeks ago.

Go see your doctor and have her insurance pay for it.

wtfh4xx
June 6th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Seriously, :whathesaid:.
I forgot to mention that.

sombo
June 6th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Considering how my hip joint is feeling that's most likely going to happen. Bending my left hip past a certain point sends a shooting pain, like being stabbed. Guess I'll figure out tomorrow who my health insurance assigned as my primary doctor and see if I can make an appointment asap to get it checked out.

NathanUc
June 6th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Lame :(

Your injury sounds somewhat similar to the one I got Saturday from my little spill. Does it hurt to left your left leg off the ground when standing up? Luckily, mine only hurt for a couple days and is better today (no health insurance ftl).

Hope everything works out for you

sombo
June 6th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Lame :(

Your injury sounds somewhat similar to the one I got Saturday from my little spill. Does it hurt to left your left leg off the ground when standing up? Luckily, mine only hurt for a couple days and is better today (no health insurance ftl).

Hope everything works out for you

Well I have been able to lift my leg up to have my knee about 90 degrees straight out in front of me. But when bending, squatting, or sitting down it's like something is getting majorly pinched and sends a shooting pain up. I'm also kinda figuring that the doc will just give me pain killers and put me on restrictions. Other then that I can't really see what else they can do. But will check with them anyway.

LazinCajun
June 6th, 2011, 10:53 PM
:( Sorry to hear that, that really does sound like one of those things that's nearly impossible to avoid.

ally99
June 7th, 2011, 04:06 AM
I'll refrain from the term I usually use when referring to drivers such as this one, but I'm just so glad you weren't hurt seriously! I hope you can at least get a free physical out of the deal and that your hip heals on its own.

Toly
June 7th, 2011, 11:03 AM
It happens. Glad you're okay. So, what would you do to avoid situation like this next time?

Kevin2109
June 7th, 2011, 12:26 PM
The driver turned out to be an ex navy female who had been arguing on the phone with her ex-girlfriend (yes that is correct).

Was she hot :confused:

For real that sucks :( I hope everything is ok!

backinthesaddleagain
June 7th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Sorry to hear. Get it checked though, don't let it go.

Green Streak
June 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Glad you weren't seriously injured or worse! Most people can't talk on a phone and drive at the same time. That is why they outlawed it here, no texting or talking on a cell(without hands free) while driving. I am not sure how much they enforce it, but as bad as some people drive while on the phone, I can see why they did it.

Murtasma
June 7th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Jesus what a lame way to have your bike damaged. This further strengths my viewpoint that cell phones should not be allowed to be used while operating a motor vehicle, especially by women. ;p

Xoulrath
June 7th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I am not sure how much they enforce it, but as bad as some peoples' attempts at driving without any distractions are, I can see why they did it.Fixed that for you. :D

Reddoak
June 7th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Ah, Orlando... The city beautiful...

Full of idiot drivers, though. Sorry to hear about that, where were you at?

sombo
June 7th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I was on Oakridge at the Texas intersection. I don't know if she was currently on the phone when it happened or not. When I looked back at her to see who had hit me she wasn't on the phone, so I can't say for sure.

No she was not exactly hot, more of the butch type. And don't forget I said SHE had an argument with her ex-GIRLfriend.

So I got it checked out at the hospital. Rest, meds, crutches, no weight allowed on that leg, and I have to make an appointment with the ortho doctor they referred me to. So I guess no bike for the moment.... AGAIN!!!

Oh and the shop did the estimate including all the fairings, the exhaust, the helmet lock, and the handlebar. Said for parts and labor it would come to about $1700, that's at minimum $500 more then KBB value of my bike. He wants me to call him tomorrow to discuss it to see what we can figure out cause he agreed with me about most of it simply cosmetic and there is nothing structurally wrong with the bike. Hopefully we can figure out what can be done when we finally get her insurance claims adjuster involved. I will NOT let them total my bike for some cosmetic bs when the bike is mechanically sound.

sombo
June 8th, 2011, 09:08 AM
New update. Got in touch with her insurance claims adjuster. Seems that they need to investigate as to whether or not she was even covered at the time of the accident. Apparently her ex had taken her off the insurance without warning her.

So it seems my next move will be talking to a lawyer about a small claims suit in order to get any sort of compensation. I have an appointment for tomorrow with a lawyer that handled a case of one of my co-workers.

I hate law suits, but if that's the only way to get compensation for the accident then I have no choice. I feel bad for the lady whose life seems to be spiraling out of control and going down the tubes for her. It sucks that I'll be adding more to her stress, but that's out of my hands. I have my own problems to deal with and will not be just idly absorbing this onto myself.

coondog
June 8th, 2011, 01:13 PM
especially if back is concerned, mine was gonna "heal itself" their doc told me. seven years later the big fat check finally arrived as i'm permanently disabled down there as well doped up half the time. left my tenured job et al. sorry it was you dude knowing how you ride and your knowledge but now it's time to lawyer up with a NAME at the courthouse, pay the price to get the price bro. good luck getting used to being less than.

Alex
June 8th, 2011, 02:19 PM
as well doped up half the time.

Ah - now some of your posts make more sense. :D

coondog
June 9th, 2011, 05:17 PM
and references as well man, ride on.

Sailariel
June 9th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Well I have been able to lift my leg up to have my knee about 90 degrees straight out in front of me. But when bending, squatting, or sitting down it's like something is getting majorly pinched and sends a shooting pain up. I'm also kinda figuring that the doc will just give me pain killers and put me on restrictions. Other then that I can't really see what else they can do. But will check with them anyway.

Mike, I injured my hip in Nov 2010 and could no longer ride the Ninja. They can do something beside pain pills---called Physical Therapy. Been doing it two days a week with results. The sooner you start, the better because your muscles will tense up and make it harder to make progress.

CmichRider
June 9th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Mike, I injured my hip in Nov 2010 and could no longer ride the Ninja. They can do something beside pain pills---called Physical Therapy. Been doing it two days a week with results. The sooner you start, the better because your muscles will tense up and make it harder to make progress.

Quoted for truth. I'm going into the PT career, and not to brag about the profession, but it can do some miracles man. If you need PT, I'd get in asap as it makes everything easier if you do it sooner rather than later.

sombo
June 10th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the support and info. Luckily though it's not that serious of an injury. Similar to spraining your ankle or wrist but in my left hip. The pain is like 95-95% gone and it's only a tiny bit stiff occasionally. I've had worse from doing something stupid to myself in the past lol.

So now the case is being investigated by a law firm to see if there's going to be any insurance coverage. If not they will see what sort of assets she has. If she basically has nothing then they will give me my file, advise on where to go from there, shake hands and wish me luck. The only way I will get charged any money is if they win something for me, and then it's a percentage of that. So we shall see what happens next.

coondog
June 20th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Thank God for that brother, I went to the top, Tallahassee Sports Medicine and did PT for months, chiro, acupuncture, back into yoga and meditating. Turned out being a 6'+ fat couch potato so I said give me that "quality of life s**t" NOW. Signed into a, place, where the window is Alex, for a few months a neurology studies and peace of mind. Then it's like Catholic school after 16 years, they cut you loose on society. Once again man, thank your lucky star or start wearing a cross as I did. Best Wishes!

Donnyd21
June 20th, 2011, 06:55 PM
keep us posted on what happens!

sombo
June 20th, 2011, 07:08 PM
keep us posted on what happens!

So far concerning the case I haven't heard anything yet. Me, I'm doing fine, no pain, just gets a little stiff like a joint that wants to pop but won't.

The bike is troubling me however. I got a newer junction box to try out on it since it was supposedly my junction box that was the cause of popping fuses when trying to use high-beam. Either they changed the wiring of the 'F' model enough that they are not 100% compatible through-out it's model run. Or my bike has electrical issues I didn't know about before buying it. To make it even more fun, after trying (and failing) the newer junction box, my neutral indicator doesn't work. It no longer knows (electronically speaking) that it's in neutral.

So now I gotta figure that one out. Almost getting to the point of seeing whether it would be cheaper to do all the work mine currently needs (not just from the accident but prior to this). Or just get a really low priced 'F' model that is in better shape and just swap the aftermarket stuff over to that one. :(

"A"
June 20th, 2011, 07:12 PM
We never want to hear these awful news but reality is that every single day someone on 2-wheel is getting injured or killed due to negligence of drivers.

I advocate riding a bicycle on public roads for a period of a month as part of the requirements for drivers license.

If you survive ignorant drivers on a bicycle for a period of month, you will be more aware of 2-wheel vehicle on the road and be a more considerate driver.
Not to mention get people into the mindset that they don't have to drive everywhere they go, there are plenty of alternatives to burning fossil fuel.

I grew up riding my bicycle 2-3 miles to my schools..
Nowadays, kids can't event walk 2-3 blocks to get to a bus stop, pedifile/criminal factors aside, school buses that make their stops every other block, meanwhile all the vehicles behind are burning up fuel, is that the right way to raise our future generations?

sombo
July 2nd, 2011, 02:05 AM
Latest update:

Ok, so a few days ago I got a notice from the hospital about them wanting to put a lien on my account for the services I received for the accident. It had a number and email address to contact with any questions. Then yesterday I got another notice from them saying that lien had been approved. Only it didn't say what I needed to do or have any contact info. So I called the number from the previous letter only to find out there were no reps available, so I sent an email.

After that I called the lawyers I went to in order to get a status report and let them know of this lien. So it turns out that they did recover some property damage insurance coverage from the other driver. So I will get something for the bike, no clue as to when or how much, but every little bit helps. They did not have injury coverage, so the UM part of my coverage will step in. They also said that they will contact the hospital because the lien amount should only be on 20% of the bill at most and the number in the letter appears to be the total cost. I just have to send them a copy of the letter.

So hopefully soon I will get some sort of settlement out of this and have the money to deal with the bike. I've been using my cage because I noticed that my neutral indicator is being intermittent with it mostly not working. So it doesn't know (electronically only) that it's in neutral at the moment. Was thinking of getting a new wiring harness for the whole bike and just having that replaced since I have more then one electrical issue right now (no horn and high beam pops the fuse).