View Full Version : 250 Chasing 600s (GMR)

adri99an
June 21st, 2011, 08:06 AM
I got real lucky the other day as I was heading into the canyon (GMR front side made up of very short twisties, decreasing radiuses and a few straightaways- going up towards Baldy/East Fork hang out). This video was originally 13 minutes long but I had to trim her down.

I've always wanted to see what the 250 could do following the big boys on their 600s or 1000s or whatever they were. And so I decided to tag along their ride and figured a few things out. Let's just say the 250 is plenty bike in certain areas in the canyon and we ALL know the straightaways is where she falls short. Bare in mind I had to run her between 9-12xxx RPMs the entire way up just to keep up. Since this was going UP the canyon and having less CCs to work with- I wonder how the 250 would do going down and keeping pace with these larger cc bikes? Sounds like a new adventure awaits......

_al8mDRCCLI

Snake
June 21st, 2011, 08:23 AM
Awesome twists! The 250 falls behind on the straight-aways but quickly catches up in the twists.

rockNroll
June 21st, 2011, 10:17 AM
Nice video :thumbup:

Gotta love the rider right in front of you. He's trying like hell to lean waaay off the bike :cool: vroooom!

There were either just puttin' along and/or they're real bad at it.

alex.s
June 21st, 2011, 10:56 AM
the turn @ 4:20... yikes!
i love seeing people sticking their knee down when the entire upper half of their body is still over the tank... does nothing for your lean angle :D

CC Cowboy
June 21st, 2011, 11:34 AM
Why didn't you pass those guys? They look old, fat, and slow!

adri99an
June 21st, 2011, 01:33 PM
CC if you were in front---then yeah I'd pass you!:D I see you haven't changed one bit:jumping20: Remember- "be kind" to others here-hahahaa

adri99an
June 21st, 2011, 01:39 PM
Nice video :thumbup:

Gotta love the rider right in front of you. He's trying like hell to lean waaay off the bike :cool: vroooom!

There were either just puttin' along and/or they're real bad at it.

Rock-
Believe me- these guys were not puttin along....GMR will kick anyone's arse!!! I've seen sooo many go down and so many have lost their lives up there.

adri99an
June 21st, 2011, 02:17 PM
Techno--BARF :partytime10:

gt_turbo
June 21st, 2011, 02:55 PM
nice riding man. isn't the guy in front of you doing it wrong? he's leaning his upper body opposite of the bike's lean into the turns. twist of the wrist says to lean with the bike. :)

Jinx250
June 21st, 2011, 03:36 PM
Those guys were riding waaaay too close together. If dude in front bins it, the second is guaranteed to become part of it. Zero room for reaction. And that turn at 4:20 looks like you got too close to them - what did they do, drop anchor?

adri99an
June 21st, 2011, 03:44 PM
At 4:20 I remember the 2nd guy braking hard- causing the 3rd guy to slow and then there I am. I never really got toooo close to them myself. I had enough room if I needed an out. They seem to be a tight knit group- I'm guessing they must ride together a lot and feel that comfortable to be so close to one another. Some of those turns are so tight and at times very tricky to manuever through- it's easy to get on the brakes a lot at times.

CC Cowboy
June 21st, 2011, 04:42 PM
CC if you were in front---then yeah I'd pass you!:D I see you haven't changed one bit:jumping20: Remember- "be kind" to others here-hahahaa

Dongman, I'd just let you by (just to be kind). Why don't you get one of those MotoGP gyrpscope cameras? I was getting dizzy watching.

Bosgarage57
June 21st, 2011, 05:22 PM
Good riding, what kinda camera are you using and where is it mounted? Looks like a beautiful ride. You could tell the SS bikes were a bit stronger, but you had more fluid ride. They kinda gunned it then braked.

oroboros
June 21st, 2011, 07:59 PM
I want to go to there.
Posted via Mobile Device

adri99an
June 21st, 2011, 08:32 PM
Good riding, what kinda camera are you using and where is it mounted? Looks like a beautiful ride. You could tell the SS bikes were a bit stronger, but you had more fluid ride. They kinda gunned it then braked.

I have a Flip camera and bought a 10 buck mount from EBAY 2 years ago or so. Fits in front of the gauge panel - I attached it to the frame somehow. It has a good view of the road and no noise!! The Flip video camera has come a long way since I bought mine 2 years ago and it is super light so you don't need a really heavy duty mount. The software to make and edit videos is user friendly and fun. Today- there are many cameras and mounts to choose from.

adri99an
June 21st, 2011, 08:33 PM
Dongman, I'd just let you by (just to be kind). Why don't you get one of those MotoGP gyrpscope cameras? I was getting dizzy watching.

I know- when I watch it I have to take my naseua pills!

Remember- BE KIND!!:D

Cazper
June 21st, 2011, 08:53 PM
Man do I ever need to make it up there to ride GMR!!! That looks like so much fun!!! Don't get me wrong I love riding Palomar (in my back yard) but I've been longing to ride GMR since I got out here almost a year ago!!! Thanks for sharing and I agree... our little toy doesn't have problems keeping up in the twisties :thumbup:

csmith12
June 21st, 2011, 08:53 PM
Great riding,

My first attempt at keeping up with the 600+ was not soo successful.

adri99an
June 21st, 2011, 09:08 PM
Man do I ever need to make it up there to ride GMR!!! That looks like so much fun!!! Don't get me wrong I love riding Palomar (in my back yard) but I've been longing to ride GMR since I got out here almost a year ago!!! Thanks for sharing and I agree... our little toy doesn't have problems keeping up in the twisties :thumbup:

We need to do a group GMR ride or you head out here and we'll do GMR. I will give you the personal tour of all the best turns! I'm 5 minutes away and so it is my backyard in a sense. These twisties are short and super tight. There's another section that has even tighter turns. Angeles Crest Highway has looonnnngggg sweepers....GMR= short twisties....you go toooo fast and you'll be sure to either go wide as many bikers do or end up running into the mountain and hopefully not falling over!!! When I rode ACH- the long sweepers were fun but on a 250 you need more power- riding GMR on the 250 going downhill is so much fun because our bike is easy to flick. Let me know when you want to hit GMR!! Come one come all!

adri99an
June 21st, 2011, 09:10 PM
I want to go to there.
Posted via Mobile Device

How long will it take you to get here from Tennesse?

EddieNewYork
June 21st, 2011, 11:12 PM
Nice riding man and thx for sharing.

Bosgarage57
June 22nd, 2011, 04:35 AM
I want to go to there.
Posted via Mobile Device

How long will it take you to get here from Tennesse?

He lives right on the dragon, Where is GMR at? I am assuming CA? If so, A LONNNGGGG TIME. Oroboros I'm pretty near you though.

whiteboy
June 22nd, 2011, 06:26 AM
Man that looks like tons of fun. To bad I'm to much of a noob right now for twistys like that.

onetruevibe
June 22nd, 2011, 06:53 AM
Rock-
Believe me- these guys were not puttin along....GMR will kick anyone's arse!!! I've seen sooo many go down and so many have lost their lives up there.

I know - when clicking through the Youtube playlists for GMR, it doesn't take long for the high sides and the low sides to take over. Yikes.

Jinx250
June 22nd, 2011, 08:19 AM
At 4:20 I remember the 2nd guy braking hard- causing the 3rd guy to slow and then there I am. I never really got toooo close to them myself. I had enough room if I needed an out. They seem to be a tight knit group- I'm guessing they must ride together a lot and feel that comfortable to be so close to one another. Some of those turns are so tight and at times very tricky to manuever through- it's easy to get on the brakes a lot at times.

IDK - I have a buddy I ride with all the time, and we each know instinctively what the other is going to do in 99% of all situations. But we NEVER follow each other that close. No matter how well you know your partner, you always need to leave an out. Good on ya for not piling into the back of em.

ZerO
June 23rd, 2011, 12:46 AM
:eek: wow that looks like dangerous fun!

i sure wish we had roads like that around here.

Cazper
June 24th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I definitely will hook up with you for that ride... Jeff (havok) rides that ride a lot too... so I know he would be up for it too!!! :thumbup:

Kevin2109
June 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Me too! Me too! Me too!!

choneofakind
June 24th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I have a Flip camera and bought a 10 buck mount from EBAY 2 years ago or so. Fits in front of the gauge panel - I attached it to the frame somehow. It has a good view of the road and no noise!! The Flip video camera has come a long way since I bought mine 2 years ago and it is super light so you don't need a really heavy duty mount. The software to make and edit videos is user friendly and fun. Today- there are many cameras and mounts to choose from.

do you have a better picture of just the mount? I'm looking for a way to mount my flip behind my windscreen without breaking the bank because of how easy it is to use and how good of a video it takes. I want it to get my good rides, and just in case I get hit or cut off I can prove fault

adri99an
June 24th, 2011, 09:44 PM
do you have a better picture of just the mount? I'm looking for a way to mount my flip behind my windscreen without breaking the bank because of how easy it is to use and how good of a video it takes. I want it to get my good rides, and just in case I get hit or cut off I can prove fault

Let me look through all my pics...if I don't find one I'll take a good one for you when I get my bike back.:D

GMR ride coming soon fellas......Sat or Sun in July? Sound off if you have a preference......I will set it up once we get the date pinned down.:thumbup:

adri99an
June 24th, 2011, 10:12 PM

Here's a pic of the mount BEFORE I mounted it onto the frame. I don't have a pic of how it is mounted now but you can see what it looks like.

Here's the one I have- they still sell it on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-IG-B05-Motorcycle-Bike-Mount-Camera-Garmin-Nuvi-/260807743679?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item3cb95a58bf

It doesn't fit perfectly when mounted onto the frame, but you can see all the videos I've made- they come out pretty good:thumbup: For 7 bucks you can't go wrong-I've been thinking of getting a better quality mount- but this one has done a great job for 2yrs!!!

ninja250
June 25th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Hey is that the eddie I know from Runryder? :D

Nice riding Adrian those riders don't know how ride those things.

Member that guy that totally burned us one day on the CBR1K?
In the middle of the turn?
That's how you ride. haha

(Accept you do it on a gsxr)

choneofakind
June 26th, 2011, 05:14 PM
much appreciated. I'm going to buy that I think

Stickyrice_fighter
July 27th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Great riding.It looks big fun:rolleyes:

EddieNewYork
July 27th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Hey is that the eddie I know from Runryder? :D