View Full Version : Request for More Stickies

gfloyd2002
June 22nd, 2011, 04:03 AM
We've got some absolute gold buried in our forums, and a recurrent problem with people not searching. As we get lots of new users, it takes quite a bit to keep beating on the same drums of the importance of gear, of earplugs, on key riding safety issues. And, as we have such a high volume, some of the classic, funny, unique threads get buried, too.

(As an aside, I'm disappointed to see the wiki not take off to address some of this, and actually have been thinking of organizing an assault on key topics in the wiki.) In the meantime, can we put more of the key threads into sticky? If something has many pages of responses, or addresses a key safety/skills topic, or otherwise something you think people need to read, let's sticky it. I completely trust Alex's vision for the site, and know that he'd sticky things that set a great tone and help the new member find key information and get an quicker idea of what ninjette.org is all about. :thumbup:

I'm off to work now, but if there is interest in this, I'd be happy to make suggestions.

LazinCajun
June 22nd, 2011, 06:18 AM
I nominate KKim's "Wahhh my bike has been sitting for x and won't start" thread for wiki-fication! Although there is a link to a similar thread on the wiki, I think Kelly's is more comprehensive and easier to follow (aren't they always? Kelly you rock :D )

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65198

Alex
June 22nd, 2011, 07:28 AM
The problem with Stickies is that there are always too many things that we would want to sticky, and if it gets to 3 or 4 per forum, they start to take up half the usable page and crowd out any new threads.

That's why I like combining a whole pile of threads in a single sticky, like the DIY sticky, or the Riding Skills sticky. Maybe there is another category sticky, like "Frequent Tech Topics", or even "The top 10 questions on this board". To your point, I want the wiki to be that, it's a better format and easier for more people to have input on the key articles than a forum.

But very few people ever enter or edit anything on the wiki (thank you to the people who have!).

kkim
June 22nd, 2011, 11:53 AM
I feel the wiki is the better way to categorize the info on the forum... too bad I'm not more comfortable on how to use it properly. A better wiki layout would help, as well.

We should have a "go to guy" for wiki duty/maintenance. If some feel certain subjects should be included in the wiki, that person would either assist to have it entered into the wiki or enter it him/herself.

I nominate Floyd! :D

Alex
June 22nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
I second that. :) I wish there were an easier way to have an integrated search. Right now, you can search the forums, the blogs, or the wiki. But not all at once, so by default, people look to find things on the forums, even if it would be much easier to find in the wiki.

kkim
June 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
if the wiki were more fleshed out, when I reply to forum questions, I could simply link to the wiki. after awhile, people will see that the info is in the wiki and stop (hopefully) posting repeat questions.

But, I don't ever want the tone of the forum to get to what other forums have come to... about just telling people to search or send them directly to the wiki, although I have done that, myself, in the past. :p

Alex
June 22nd, 2011, 12:24 PM
There's always going to be a difference between:

a) good question, here's a link that may help

and

b) you dick. why didn't you search, dumbass?

I prefer a) rather than fully answering the same repetitive questions in a new way each time they come up; there's nothing wrong with pointing out a solution to their problem if it's at an existing link already (whether thread, wiki, blog, external link, whatever)

gfloyd2002
June 22nd, 2011, 02:59 PM
lol, this is just like work. Point out a problem, and next thing you know you have a job fixing it. :p

I've got a very busy schedule the next 3 weeks and may have less than usual access to the site, but when I get clear, I'd like to put a plan together for getting the wiki up to snuff to run through you guys. I'm thinking about recruiting some active, responsible members (read: old :p), maybe like a JeffM, JMcDonald, Sailariel, KKim, etc. and get each of us to take charge of a wiki section. Break up the work, set a reasonable schedule for putting up articles and provide some ownership/buy-in that might help keep things up to date. Maybe even have Alex put out the invites to help out?

I'll think about it more and see where I'm at in a few weeks.

noche_caliente
June 22nd, 2011, 05:14 PM
Since it's summer I have some free time and can help wiht a few wiki entries... I already have quite a few - I'm sure I can remember how to do it again ;)

kkim
June 22nd, 2011, 05:16 PM
Since it's summer I have some free time and can help wiht a few wiki entries... I already have quite a few - I'm sure I can remember how to do it again ;)

Bless you, my child.
:bow:

CynicalC
June 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM
People who don't search also don't read stickies. :P

LazinCajun
June 24th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Yeah, but it's easier to say "look at the wiki / stickies" than to search for the tread for somebody else.