View Full Version : Forum downtime this Saturday evening (Jun 25)

Alex
June 22nd, 2011, 08:47 PM
Hi all -

This saturday evening (west coast time), my provider will be moving us to a new server. The downtime should be less than 30 minutes, and no posts should be lost in the transition. But at some point that night, the site will go down and will come up anew on the new server afterwards (at the same IP address). There's nothing any user needs to do, it will be seamless.

But the good news is that the new server is much more powerful, much faster, and the site is likely to feel a little snappier when it does come back up. It's rarely slow now, but it'll only get better. :thumbup:

kkim
June 22nd, 2011, 08:54 PM
oh no, oh no, oh no!!!! :runaway2:

Snake
June 22nd, 2011, 09:12 PM
Oh noooo, what am I going to do during the mean time!

Great news Alex. Thanks for keeping the site the best it can be.

setasai
June 22nd, 2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks for letting us know. Hmmm I guess i'll read a book instead. =)

TnNinjaGirl
June 23rd, 2011, 01:54 AM
Well, everything was working fine. Time to change it!

ally99
June 23rd, 2011, 04:13 AM
Sniff, sniff, I'm going to miss you all! :Cry:

Alex
June 23rd, 2011, 06:58 AM
Well, everything was working fine. Time to change it!

My first thought as well! :p They are retiring the host server we're on, I only got the notification yesterday. We run on a VPS (virtual private server), so it is pretty cut and dried to just grab the slice and move it onto a new server, which is what they are doing this weekend. (more info on VPS in this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26184)).

TnNinjaGirl
June 23rd, 2011, 07:34 AM
I was wondering what we were on. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

CC Cowboy
June 23rd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Hi all -

This saturday evening (west coast time), my provider will be moving us to a new server. The downtime should be less than 30 minutes, and no posts should be lost in the transition. But at some point that night, the site will go down and will come up anew on the new server afterwards (at the same IP address). There's nothing any user needs to do, it will be seamless.

But the good news is that the new server is much more powerful, much faster, and the site is likely to feel a little snappier when it does come back up. It's rarely slow now, but it'll only get better. :thumbup:

Why would you ever need that much power!

"a little snappier", is that a 250r term?

Alex
June 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM
Why would you ever need that much power

:clapping:

"a little snappier", is that a 250r term?

It's like a little snapper, but less fishy. :)

Alex
June 25th, 2011, 10:01 PM
OK - the migrations have started, and they are going VPS by VPS. It should hit us in the next few hours.

Alex
June 25th, 2011, 11:03 PM
We're done, back up and running on the new server. Post up if you see anything wacky, but it should be smooth sailing, and a little bit quicker than before.

kkim
June 25th, 2011, 11:10 PM
it does seem quicker... though could be the placebo effect. :p

Alex
June 26th, 2011, 12:09 AM
The server load stats are much lower than they were in the past, so it appears to be more than the placebo affect. :thumbup:

almost40
June 26th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Wait......... I missed this as I wasnt here last night.:eek:
Bummer.

Kevin2109
June 27th, 2011, 11:55 PM
oh no, oh no, oh no!!!! :runaway2:

This just made my day, thanks kelly :thumbup:

Alex
July 2nd, 2011, 10:00 PM
I was still seeing some slowdowns from time to time on this new server. My host just informed me that they only just finished moving over all of the VPS slices to the new server, so the slowdowns were likely I/O from all of the moves. But - they saw that we were using a good chunk of our allotted memory, so they bumped it up from a 400MB slice to a 1024MB slice at no extra charge. :thumbup: I just had to quickly reboot the server for it to see the new memory size, so we were down for a minute or two, but all is well now.

I've been quite pleased with rimuhosting (http://rimuhosting.com/) overall, and would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a helpful, responsive VPS hosting company.

Snake
July 2nd, 2011, 10:28 PM
I was wondering why I got a message saying the server was unavailable.