View Full Version : A few books to learn from needed

whiteboy
June 25th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Well I did a search and found nothing on the subject of some good beginner rider and exp rider books. I'm just looking for first hand exp in reading books to better our skills. Any suggestions are welcom and pls rate some books you have read.

gfloyd2002
June 25th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well (David Hough)

More Proficient Motorcycling: Mastering the Ride (David Hough)

Street Strategies: A Survival Guide for Motorcyclists (David Hough)

Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques (Lee Parks)

Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track (Nick Ienatsch)

Twist of the Wrist: The Motorcycle Roadracers Handbook (Keith Code)

Twist of the Wrist II: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding (Keith Code)

Alex
June 25th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Many (most?) of these are listed in the one sticky thread at the top of the Riding Skills section. :thumbup:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13547

edit: (I'm an idjit, it looks like Floyd copied it right from there)

TXJ
June 25th, 2011, 09:35 PM
From that list I'd start with proficient motorcycling. Every rider should own that book. I've read it probably 20 times cover to cover and still continually read chapters a few times a week. You can read it probably 99 times, go for a ride, then read it again when you come back and still learn something.

whiteboy
June 25th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Great list and a horrible search on my part. But I got twist of the wrist 2 to start with thanks to kimm and I plan on trying to get the others asap. I'm sure glad all the experts here have patients for noobs like me who post over and over on the same things. Thx every1

phr3ek
June 26th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Great list and a horrible search on my part. But I got twist of the wrist 2 to start with thanks to kimm and I plan on trying to get the others asap. I'm sure glad all the experts here have patients for noobs like me who post over and over on the same things. Thx every1

YAY! we have a doctor among us :bow:
ive been aching to try out this "pro-state" exam :D
hopefully it will help me on my citizenship test ;)

jkjk
im surprised the grammar nazis havent posted yet

never been a fan of books, so im opting for keith code's ToTW dvd

TenaciousD
June 26th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Proficient Motorcycling is a great book. It's not just about the technicalities of riding. It will really help you get into the right mindset for riding safely and just might save your life. David Hough is a really good writer, too, so it is an enjoyable read.

whiteboy
June 26th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Yea my grammar blows but I realy don't care. I'm not mug of a reader myself either but this is for a good cause I think, I went ahead a bought the more proficient riding on my iPhone iBooks thing so far both books are good and I haven't been able to go for a ride and test all hat I have read yet but I'm sure it will help

gfloyd2002
June 26th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Of those I listed (and yes, copied straight from Alex's sticky :p), Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough is my vote for most important for a new rider. I've read them all, and Total Control and Twist of the Wrist great technique books when you want to improve, but should be built on David Hough's foundation. Hough looks more broadly at riding skills and includes more that is of use for riding on the streets.

JeffM
June 26th, 2011, 10:45 PM
If you can, get the newest edition of Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well, Revised 2nd Edition (David Hough). It has been updated with color photos and additional information.

http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/100090000/100093293.JPG

+1 on this book.

kaiserz
June 27th, 2011, 07:07 AM
^ i ordered the older one cause it's cheaper. i got it for like 10bucks.

whiteboy
June 27th, 2011, 07:25 AM
The new version is on iBooks for 11 bucks I been reading it off and on when I have time. So far so good

Mr.E
July 20th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well, Revised 2nd Edition (David Hough).

+1 on this book.

Anyone know where to get an Ebook for this for the mac?? I looked but no straight pdf or anything that I can find. Theres Nook but my mac version is apparently too old x-(

JeffM
July 20th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Anyone know where to get an Ebook for this for the mac?? I looked but no straight pdf or anything that I can find. Theres Nook but my mac version is apparently too old x-(

Have you tried using http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/ to manage the file? You can get this book in EPUB format which Adobe Digital Editions can manage between devices. Check it out I am not sure it will work with Mac but it may be worth a try.

Requirements for Mac:

MacPowerPC
Mac OS X v10.4.10 or v10.5

PowerPC® G4 or G5 500MHz processor

128MB of RAM

Jeff

Mr.E
July 20th, 2011, 04:45 PM
So I install that then can download books in any format and it'll open it basically??

JeffM
July 21st, 2011, 07:14 AM
I believe so.

Firehorse
July 21st, 2011, 10:21 PM
Smooth Riding, Reg Pridmore

Good steering section in Twist of the Wrist :thumbup:

csmith12
July 21st, 2011, 11:15 PM
The UK Superbike School vids on youtube. About 8 or so of em. Just like Twist Of The Wrist II, totally changed my riding.

Mr.E
July 22nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
I believe so.

Thanks for the help. Tonight I found out you could just download kindle for mac then download the book. So I did that. x-)

Shaol1n Monk
July 23rd, 2011, 10:44 PM
i also watched the Twist of the Wrist 2 dvd and found it very informative and helpful. when riding after i used some of the techniques and of course they worked. i am taking a few of the things i learned and consciously practicing them until they are instinct. then i will go back and watch the dvd again and pick a few more techniques to work on and do the same. i plan on buying the book as well since im sure it can only help supplement what i am learning from the dvd. sometimes (for me at least) learning by reading words on a page doesnt translate as well as seeing it demonstrated so i am glad to have found the dvd.:D

DarkNinja52
July 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Going to take a look online for some of these books, anyone care to share any theyve already found?

Maybe we can put some ebook links together and add them to the sticky? (i only saw the amazon links in there)

EDIT: Links to copyrighted material removed

Mr.E
July 27th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Going to take a look online for some of these books, anyone care to share any theyve already found?

Maybe we can put some ebook links together and add them to the sticky? (i only saw the amazon links in there)

Well the proficient motorcycling second edition I downloded off amazon for the kindle. I downloaded kindle for mac (free, also made for computers) and its great. Plusthe kindle version on amazon was only 11 dollars.

DarkNinja52
July 27th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Well the proficient motorcycling second edition I downloded off amazon for the kindle. I downloaded kindle for mac (free, also made for computers) and its great. Plusthe kindle version on amazon was only 11 dollars.

I'm mac-less.

A collection of online PDFs would suit everyones needs (=

Alex
July 27th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Sorry - no public links to pirated copyrighted materials.

Mr.E
July 27th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I'm mac-less.

A collection of online PDFs would suit everyones needs (=

Kindle for PC is available as well. As stated before, $11. Pretty good price for a book that can be 16 to 20 bucks.

DarkNinja52
July 28th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Sorry - no public links to pirated copyrighted materials.

Understood

GeorgiaHooligan
August 3rd, 2011, 09:21 PM
The complete Idiots guide to Motorcycles written by: Darwin Holstrom and Charles Everitt (authors from Motor Cyclist) sucks.