View Full Version : Man Down :(

xlatinox
June 28th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Well another pregen ninja has fallen.

Phone company guy left a telephone line halfway hanging. Hit it going around 20MPH caused me and my bike to flip. Fractured my collar bone and lots of road rash.

Moral of the story? Becareful any thing can happen on a motorcycle.......

Live2ride
June 28th, 2011, 07:41 AM
ouch, my cousin broke his collar bone snowboarding one time so I know how not fun that is. Good luck with the recovery.

rusninja
June 28th, 2011, 07:43 AM
were you fully geared :S?

xlatinox
June 28th, 2011, 07:58 AM
unfortunately no. only a helmet which did its job perfectly. Would gear of saved me from breaking my collar bone? cause when i flipped i landed straight on my right shoulder

TXJ
June 28th, 2011, 08:08 AM
unfortunately no. only a helmet which did its job perfectly. Would gear of saved me from breaking my collar bone? cause when i flipped i landed straight on my right shoulder

CE shoulder pads do a good job at absorbing and distributing impact. The only spill I've had, I landed straight on my shoulder / head. Aside from a bruise and sore shoulder, no injuries. A jacket could have saved a lot of skin for sure, and possibly your fracture. Glad you came out of the accident, though. It's never good to hear about another rider going down. I hope your recovery goes well. :thumbup:

Jinx250
June 28th, 2011, 08:42 AM

It is very doubtful. It only takes about 6 pounds of pressure to break a collarbone. Landing squarely on your shoulder would probably have been enough, even with a jacket.

zilaniz
June 28th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I'm not big on suing, but that sounds like a lawsuit in the making

Bosgarage57
June 28th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I'm not big on suing, but that sounds like a lawsuit in the making

+1, thats what I was thinking, but didnt wanna be a douche for saying it. I'd make em pay up!

wtfh4xx
June 28th, 2011, 09:45 AM
+3, sue the phone company.
Could have killed you if it caught your neck.

Live2ride
June 28th, 2011, 10:06 AM
+1, thats what I was thinking, but didnt wanna be a douche for saying it. I'd make em pay up!

+1 I thought the same thing; it could have killed or paralyzed you. Your very lucky it didn't but now your gonna have medical bills to pay and you shouldn't be responcible for them.

Gorilla25
June 28th, 2011, 10:35 AM
im with everyone else...sue the phone company...

Buffalony
June 28th, 2011, 10:36 AM
:wof: SUE SUE SUZIE Q :wof:

almost40
June 28th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I would call an attorney. NO DOUBT.
And yes the gear would have helped. ALOT
AGATT cause ya never know.

Jesse8931
June 28th, 2011, 11:03 AM
did you not see the wire ? phone lines are usually thick as a quater and black

Fly'in Ninja
June 28th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Wow..how careless of them(phone co.)!!

Wishing you a quick recovery!!

rockNroll
June 28th, 2011, 11:54 AM
You need a new best pal? :D

KJohnson21
June 28th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Wow! The line crew obviously skipped the step of putting out safety markers. :scared:

Glad you're still with us. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=1191

Proper safety gear might have reduced your collar bone break to a fracture if it didn't prevent it, and you'd probably have no road rash. With road rash your doctor(s)/nurse(s) usually have to give an extra level of care as a precaution to ensure that you don't get any infections from the exposed areas. And if you picked up any gravel, they shouldn't be shy about digging it out. :eek:

Did you have gloves on?

road_rascal
June 28th, 2011, 01:08 PM
did you not see the wire ? phone lines are usually thick as a quater and black

This happened to me a few years ago when I was riding my Goldwing. I was coming around a corner where a new house was being built and off in the distance I saw something that appeared to be either on the road or above it. Didn't look quite right and I knew something was wrong (either my sight was going bad or there was actually something up ahead). About 20 feet away I saw it was a phone or power line that was being strung to the new house. No warning markers, flags, workers with safety vests, etc. I slam on my brakes as it looked like I was going to hit it and the guys just stood there and looked at me funny. I threw up both my hands in a "WTF are you guys doing?" motion. Only then did they realize that they could have caused an accident.

Get well soon and get a hold of a good attorney.

Blackwidow
June 28th, 2011, 01:30 PM
sorry to hear that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Snake
June 28th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Sorry to hear that. Glad you are ok.

xlatinox
June 28th, 2011, 02:07 PM
no i didnt see it. There was no workers telling ppl there was a line there nor cones or signs. I saw the instant i hit it so it was too late. And I will be getting an attorney thats for sure. I was also very lucky that my bike hit the line and not me. If it could stop the bike in its tracks like that i couldnt imagine what would of happened if my neck/head/upperbody hit it.

@ Kjohnson - actually it did fracture it. lucky it wasnt all the way broken

and thanks for all the support everyone!. this wont stop me from riding!

bettysmith
June 28th, 2011, 04:09 PM
ouch, my cousin broke his collar bone snowboarding one time so I know how not fun that is. Good luck with the recovery.

Broke my claivicle snowboarding as well. Got a nice lump there now.

That's pretty beat though OP. Accidents happen, but that line should have at least been marked off if it wasn't hung properly. Heal up quick! Have fun in that sling ;)

"A"
June 28th, 2011, 04:53 PM
no i didnt see it. There was no workers telling ppl there was a line there nor cones or signs. I saw the instant i hit it so it was too late. And I will be getting an attorney thats for sure. I was also very lucky that my bike hit the line and not me. If it could stop the bike in its tracks like that i couldnt imagine what would of happened if my neck/head/upperbody hit it.

@ Kjohnson - actually it did fracture it. lucky it wasnt all the way broken

and thanks for all the support everyone!. this wont stop me from riding!

I hope you stayed on the ground until the ambulance took you away.. have a police report and witness info.

Cedilla
June 29th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Ouch... I hope you get better soon, and sue the hell out of the phone company. That worker's negligence could have killed someone very easy.

I hit a down line once after a storm but lucky I was driving the cage, so I just got a scare, It would have broken my windshield if I hadn't hit the brakes before hitting it. I didn't see it until I got right on it either, not far enough to come to a stop.