View Full Version : First day of MSF

Honko
July 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
Had my first day of riding in my MSF class today and it was a blast, aside from the heat exhaustion I'm having right now. I got there and claimed the only ninja 250 they had so I got to ride that for the course! :thumbup:

For starters, it's a lot harder than expected. Obviously I knew it was going to be tough, but I thought I had a pretty good handle on all the controls etc. but having orchestrate all of that together while you're moving....that's a different story.

My legs also were definitely not ready for that kind of endurance exercise because my hips are sore right now. Hopefully I can improve my low speed straight line balance, because there is much to be desired in that.

CynicalC
July 2nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
Had my first day of riding in my MSF class today and it was a blast, aside from the heat exhaustion I'm having right now. I got there and claimed the only ninja 250 they had so I got to ride that for the course! :thumbup:

For starters, it's a lot harder than expected. Obviously I knew it was going to be tough, but I thought I had a pretty good handle on all the controls etc. but having orchestrate all of that together while you're moving....that's a different story.

My legs also were definitely not ready for that kind of endurance exercise because my hips are sore right now. Hopefully I can improve my low speed straight line balance, because there is much to be desired in that.
Grats. I'm taking it with the GF on the 14th!

Alex
July 2nd, 2011, 03:05 PM
/moved to riding skills

Gorilla25
July 2nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
Grats!....i did the MSF on a DRZ200...for me it was cake...but everyone is different. keep practicing, you'll get it down. do your best in each exercise, and remember to have fun!

TXJ
July 2nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
Grats!....i did the MSF on a DRZ200...for me it was cake...but everyone is different. keep practicing, you'll get it down. do your best in each exercise, and remember to have fun!

Lucky you! I was folded up on a eliminator 125 that missed second %90 of the time, even if you held it up to try and force it to catch.

+1 on practice. When you get your own motorcycle, practice more! Focus on your clutch control for day 2 since they will have you do "the box". Clutch control is key for low speed maneuvers. Have fun and let us know how you do!

Honko
July 3rd, 2011, 04:01 PM
Lucky you! I was folded up on a eliminator 125 that missed second %90 of the time, even if you held it up to try and force it to catch.

+1 on practice. When you get your own motorcycle, practice more! Focus on your clutch control for day 2 since they will have you do "the box". Clutch control is key for low speed maneuvers. Have fun and let us know how you do!

Yea, I was having a lot of trouble with the box until I finally just hunkered down to find exactly where the friction zone of the bike i was using once in between all the exercises. Pulling your head waaaaay back definitely helped a lot as well.

Honko
July 3rd, 2011, 04:02 PM

Was probably the most fun I've had in a while! It's kind of amazing to see how much you progress in just two days of that course. Two very long days yes, but still, just two days.

ally99
July 3rd, 2011, 04:05 PM
Fun! Congrats! Yep, I had the "...comes added bonus, heat exhaustion!" summer class myself a couple of years ago. I remember the torture. Even the instructors were miserable. lol! Anyway, congratulations on a successful first day!

alex.s
July 3rd, 2011, 04:05 PM
:) just like they said, look where you want the bike to go. works like magic.
just remember, MSF is only the beginning. keep training yourself

newboy17
July 3rd, 2011, 10:28 PM

how much is the class, and is this a road test waiver for your state , here NY is $$$350, im just going for my road test .....

Jiggles
July 3rd, 2011, 11:12 PM
My first day at the MSF it was pouring rain and we all got soaked. I'd take heat over rain any day:thumbup:

Honko
July 4th, 2011, 09:31 AM
:) just like they said, look where you want the bike to go. works like magic.
just remember, MSF is only the beginning. keep training yourself

Oh definitely. I learned a lot in the class, but I don't feel nearly comfortable enough yet to just jump onto the roads. Neighborhood streets and parking lots for a while for me haha.

When you watch videos of people beelining for trees at really slow speeds you're like how is that possible, just avoid it. But then you experience it first hand and you're like HNNNGNGNG. I started to veer off the course because I was fixating on a fence around the perimeter before I caught myself and turned right around in the opposite direction.

Honko
July 4th, 2011, 09:33 AM
how much is the class, and is this a road test waiver for your state , here NY is $$$350, im just going for my road test .....

The class was $350 and serves as a waiver for both the road test and the written for Virginia riders. There were a couple people who were D.C. residents that only got the road test waiver out of it.

Honko
July 4th, 2011, 09:33 AM
My first day at the MSF it was pouring rain and we all got soaked. I'd take heat over rain any day:thumbup:

Ooof, that sounds pretty miserable. Although on the plus side, you got to learn to ride in the rain so it may not be as daunting if you ever have to do so.

Mr.E
July 6th, 2011, 09:05 PM
The class was $350 and serves as a waiver for both the road test and the written for Virginia riders.

Wow. Florida is the same but only $199

Honko
July 6th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Wow. Florida is the same but only $199

:mad2:

Mr.E
July 6th, 2011, 10:19 PM
:imsorry: But on the plus congrats on the MSF lol

Live2ride
July 6th, 2011, 10:38 PM
The class was $350 and serves as a waiver for both the road test and the written for Virginia riders. There were a couple people who were D.C. residents that only got the road test waiver out of it.

I'm not sure where you took the msf course but I took my class last summer and paid $125 for everything at the local community college. If your 19 or older they give you your temporary 30-day license. If your 18 or under they give you a 30-day temporary learners permit which has to be held for 9 months after the date you get it issued by the DMV. Sorry you got overcharged, that was highway robbery :o.

CynicalC
July 6th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure where you took the msf course but I took my class last summer and paid $125 for everything at the local community college. If your 19 or older they give you your temporary 30-day license. If your 18 or under they give you a 30-day temporary learners permit which has to be held for 9 months after the date you get it issued by the DMV. Sorry you got overcharged, that was highway robbery :o.

Obviously the price varies by location. I paid $250.

Mr.E
July 7th, 2011, 12:12 AM
:whathesaid:

gatito
July 7th, 2011, 06:03 AM

remember don't be cheap oh gear... i'll say don't be cheap on learning for me it was free in PA but dude i would of pay to take the course so much fun and even if you been riding for 20 years you'll learn so much.

p4174w
July 7th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Through the State of IL, it only costs around $23. You pay $3 in the form of a non-refundable deposit, and at the end of the course they give you a waiver to fill out if you want the other $20 refunded to you. So yes, it could potentially only cost you $3 for the class, but it’s a real douchey move to ask for that $20 back. The instructors say it pretty much never happens.

Honko
July 7th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Through the State of IL, it only costs around $23. You pay $3 in the form of a non-refundable deposit, and at the end of the course they give you a waiver to fill out if you want the other $20 refunded to you. So yes, it could potentially only cost you $3 for the class, but it’s a real douchey move to ask for that $20 back. The instructors say it pretty much never happens.

Anyone who asks for their $20 back should be required to be punched in the face before they can get it.

Jesse8931
July 7th, 2011, 08:41 AM
it cost me 25 bucks.

2.5LGT
July 7th, 2011, 10:19 AM
$200 in CT

Gorilla25
July 7th, 2011, 06:56 PM
$200 in hawaii

kaiserz
July 7th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I had mine at NOVA in loudon for $150 then took another one experienced rider thing for $80 (: learned a lot from both of them.