View Full Version : Best things to tell first time passenger??

SpeedDemon
July 3rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Im new to riding this year on my 09 250 Ninja, im just wondering what are the best things to tell a first time passenger. I know the basics, lean with the bike, dont move around too much im just wondering if there is anything else i should tell them and if there is anything different i should be thinking about as it will be my first time riding 2 up aswell.

whatitstrue
July 3rd, 2011, 05:40 PM
*watch out the for the pipes (hot).
*Dont put there feet down.
*Not only lean with you but also have them look thru the turn with you.
*They need to comunicate with you when they are getting on and off the bike.

Also being your 1st time take it easy! while you adjust.

Good Luck and have Fun!!!!

CC Cowboy
July 3rd, 2011, 06:13 PM
Hold on!

Alex
July 3rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
There some tips in this thread on 2-up riding (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22358) that's linked from the sticky at the top of this area. The key points are:

- Tell them they can only get on the bike and off the bike when you have given them the clear OK to do so (so you are ready)
- They should not be afraid to hold on tightly, but try and find someplace that's comfortable for you both. Sometimes it's jacket, sometimes it's hips, but find something that works.
- As a rider, be very gentle on acceleration, braking, and turning. No matter what you do on a bike, a new passenger is going to think you are going 3 times as fast and 3 times as aggressive as you might think. They will be most impressed with a safe, comfortable ride before you work up to anything close to "let's show them what the bike can do".

wayanlam
July 3rd, 2011, 06:54 PM
"loosen up!" :D

i crashed once because i was riding 2 up with someone that was quite new to bikes and when i went to lean into a corner he totally resisted the lean and the bike just lost traction and low slided... right in front of two cops... who basically laughed at us and said "the road is slippery huh?!" grr....

CC Cowboy
July 4th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Reach around!

Reddoak
July 4th, 2011, 12:10 PM
"This is my third time carrying a passenger. I crashed the other two time, but I think I've got it now, third time's the charm, right?"

CC Cowboy
July 4th, 2011, 12:35 PM
"This is my third time carrying a passenger. I crashed the other two time, but I think I've got it now, third time's the charm, right?"

Your problem is target fixation, get your mind out of the gutter and you won't end up there.

ducducgooseit
July 4th, 2011, 01:11 PM
"Eventually, everyone goes down."

ally99
July 4th, 2011, 01:17 PM

For you AND your passenger's sake, I sure hope so.

CC Cowboy
July 4th, 2011, 01:17 PM
"Eventually, everyone goes down."

Sorry, I don't swing that way!

"A"
July 6th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Tell your passenger to hold on to you, the rider, not the bike.

bonbon76
July 6th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Never had a passenger as of yet. Always figured I should fine tune before putting someone else’s life on my bike.

But this comment freaks me out and makes me think I never want anyone on the back?!?!?!?!

SpeedDemon
July 6th, 2011, 05:43 AM
I would have to agree with this one ^^^

bdavison
July 6th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Rule 1. I get on, then you get on.
Rule 2. Your torso stays in line with mine at all times.
Rule 3. Your feet stay on the pegs at all times, unless I tell you different.
Rule 4. The exhaust is hot...it will burn you....bad
Rule 5. When we come to a stop, please dont bang your helmet into the back of mine.
Rule 6. You will hold on at ALL times...even when at a stop, or you will get dropped off the back when I take off.
Rule 7. If you need/want to stop, pat my stomach or my shoulder. Do not scream at the top of your lungs.
Rule 8. All passengers must have proper attire...which means gear.

SteveL
July 6th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Tell your passenger to hold on to you, the rider, not the bike.

What do you think the sissy bar behind the seat is for?
If your passenger has hold of it, they don’t crash into you every time you brake and don’t fall off the back with acceleration.

Steve

SpeedDemon
July 6th, 2011, 07:19 AM
The new gen bikes do not have any " sissy bars " for a passanger to hold onto, im guessing the best bet is to get a nice backpack to keep a bit of space and to have something extra for them to hold onto, anyone know of a good bag that they wear for riding 2 up

ChaosFromAbove
July 6th, 2011, 07:58 AM
A big one i've learned, tell them to NOT press on ur legs, it makes it harder to brake and shift. If they feel they are going to fly forward during a hard brake reach for the gas tank instead of ur body.

The new gen bikes do not have any " sissy bars " for a passanger to hold onto, im guessing the best bet is to get a nice backpack to keep a bit of space and to have something extra for them to hold onto, anyone know of a good bag that they wear for riding 2 up

I prefer not to have the backpack on me wen i have someone on my back...usually make the passenger wear it. Besides, if they are holding on to that, and u for some reason accelerate to hard for them they may pull ur bag and off u go!

Momaru
July 6th, 2011, 08:12 AM

Might try this:
It looks silly, but I've seen at least two rider pairs in town that use 'em and it really looks like a better grip. One guy has this for his daughter.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Its a belt, with handles . . .

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/variations/12467-150x150.jpg

That you wear like a girdle . . .

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/tq/31/137151331.jpg

So your buddy can hang on!

http://www.motogaraz.cz/Fotografie/Zbozi/Original/of589_oxford_rider-grips_1.jpg

from this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62658)

Cali619
July 6th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Might try this:
It looks silly, but I've seen at least two rider pairs in town that use 'em and it really looks like a better grip. One guy has this for his daughter.

from this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62658)

that looks like an interesting contraption , could be used in many other ways, giggity....

SpeedDemon
July 6th, 2011, 08:50 AM
LMAO ^^^^ I can definitely think of a few other usefull things that this could come in handy for

choneofakind
July 6th, 2011, 09:21 AM
If youre new to the bike I would suggest not giving rides until you've got one season under your belt. that's what I did and when I finally got an extra helmet and started giving rides it was really not much transition. you ghave to know how the machine acts with just you on it before you take someone else as well

ally99
July 6th, 2011, 09:21 AM

They do, however, have straps on the seat that work to some extent, especially once one gets comfortable with being a passenger.
One piece of advice, have the rider practice laying her hands on the gas tank under braking. That way, she can support her weight without putting it all on you.

Bols
July 6th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Actually, my driving teacher told me NOT to hold on to him when he was showing me how to ride with a passenger. Instead he told me to hold on below my knees when accelerating, and press against the thie just above my knee when braking. That and to look where we were turning. He did the same when he was riding as a passenger.

It felt abit scary in the beginning, but after a few mins, it actually felt alot more comfortable, both for the rider and passenger. The passenger could sit more upright, which also gives a better view, and it actually felt safer during turns. The driver ofc doesn't need to have anyone klinging onto him, and don't need to get the passenger all over his back when braking, it basically feels like riding solo with some luggage:thumbup:

"A"
July 8th, 2011, 01:11 AM
IMO, I get better feedback from a passenger when I have they hold onto me.
Without the need for the passenger to shout with their voice, I can tell if I'm riding too agressively, when they hold onto me tighter and tighter.

If a passenger grabs onto the 'sissy bar', I have no way of telling how I'm riding from their instinctive physical reaction.

Honko
July 13th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I saw a guy on a bike with a passenger the other day and as they were leaning into a curve onto the highway she was leaning her body in the other direction. I couldn't help wondering how much more difficult that's making the turn haha.

bdavison
July 13th, 2011, 11:04 AM
A lot more difficult...my sister did this to me once, and it feels like the bike just wants to go straight even thought you are leaning the crap out of it. She learned after she almost ran us off the road.

choneofakind
July 13th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I saw a guy on a bike with a passenger the other day and as they were leaning into a curve onto the highway she was leaning her body in the other direction. I couldn't help wondering how much more difficult that's making the turn haha.

I tell them to nof worry about leaning they're hips and just distribute their weight evenly like if they were sitting in a chair. then I tell them to look over the same shoulder thru the turn. over right shoulder for right turn. left shoulder for left. this takes care of that. when the passenger fights the lean and leans out of the turn, it makes the bike need to lean even further in which isn't safe.

gfloyd2002
July 18th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Here is what I say: Get off my bike, fool! You think I pulled the rear pegs and put on a seat cowl because I wanted rear passengers?!

pinkandblack
July 24th, 2011, 09:39 PM
What do you think the sissy bar behind the seat is for?
If your passenger has hold of it, they don’t crash into you every time you brake and don’t fall off the back with acceleration.

Steve

When I rode passenger before I got my own, I would put my palms on the gas tank as my hubby stopped. It was easier on him and me with no nagens (Helmet bangs) :)
Posted via Mobile Device

wayanlam
July 25th, 2011, 07:08 PM
When I rode passenger before I got my own, I would put my palms on the gas tank as my hubby stopped. It was easier on him and me with no nagens (Helmet bangs) :)
Posted via Mobile Device

thats what my girlfriend also does when we ride, one hand on the tank so she takes some of the weight there (rather all on my back and yeah helmet banging, etc) and the other arm around my waist to hold on for the acceleration.

ive taken some other people on the back of the ninja, and they didnt know how to hold on, since there are no handlebars in the back, and they put all their weight on me when i was braking, and UFFF.... that's a lot of pressure on the wrists!