View Full Version : Aprilia RSV-4 Factory APRC?

NathanUc
July 9th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Well... I've officially fallen deeply in love...

Here's sort of my situation. When I graduate and find a job next year, I planned on moving south to a warmer climate state so I can motorcycle all year around which would also mean I purchase a new motorcycle.

I've been aiming for a 650r but honestly, I am really considering the Aprilia. It just seems so perfect.

Has anyone here ever ridden on one or have any real experience with them? I've only seen a couple of them in person. I'm somewhat iffy about making the jump from a 250r to a v4 1000cc mega-pwnz0rs bike, yet if I get the 650r, I'm still going to be drooling over the Aprilia and wishing I had one. It's also a matter of about $7,000 vs $15,000. Hopefully with my degree, financing either or wouldn't be much of an issue.

rambling over..

Bols
July 9th, 2011, 05:18 AM
I'm somewhat iffy about making the jump from a 250r to a v4 1000cc mega-pwnz0rs bike
This. Get a 600-650 for some time before you upgrade to 1000:rolleyes:

Racer x
July 9th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Do some reserch at AF1 Racing. www.apriliaforum.com. they are the Aprilia forum. Based out of Texas. The bikes are great.but Personally I would have it as a second bike. Not a daily driver anyhow.

NathanUc
July 9th, 2011, 05:30 AM
This. Get a 600-650 for some time before you upgrade to 1000:rolleyes:

I say that not because of safety (because I'm sure I'd be fine) but because when you buy a bike like that... where do you move up? With my Ninja now, I look forward to getting a new motorcycle down the road but if I had my dream bike, that would be gone. It's tricky.

Do some reserch at AF1 Racing. www.apriliaforum.com. they are the Aprilia forum. Based out of Texas. The bikes are great.but Personally I would have it as a second bike. Not a daily driver anyhow.

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check it out

Also, I still think I'd keep the 250r for some basic day to day stuff but I'd use the Aprilia more for weekend adventures and armature track days.

Bols
July 9th, 2011, 05:34 AM
I say that not because of safety (because I'm sure I'd be fine) but because when you buy a bike like that... where do you move up? With my Ninja now, I look forward to getting a new motorcycle down the road but if I had my dream bike, that would be gone. It's tricky.

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check it out

Also, I still think I'd keep the 250r for some basic day to day stuff but I'd use the Aprilia more for weekend adventures and armature track days.
I had plans of testing the new ZX10R on a Kawasaki Roadshow at my local dealer. He highly recommended i did not even test it, for my own safety and wallet, when i told him i'm used to riding a 250. And this from a dude working with selling these kinda bikes for a living.

NathanUc
July 9th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I had plans of testing the new ZX10R on a Kawasaki Roadshow at my local dealer. He highly recommended i did not even test it, for my own safety and wallet, when i told him i'm used to riding a 250. And this from a dude working with selling these kinda bikes for a living.

It would be smarter to go from a 250r to a 650r to a zx6r to a zx10r, but it's not always necessary imo. I'm confidant that in a year I'll be skilled enough, mature enough, and mentally able to go from a 250r to a v4 megabike. We'll see though :P

CC Cowboy
July 9th, 2011, 08:02 AM
The Aprilia is a wonderful bike. A guy here has one and loves it. Great on the track too.

Do some trackdays on your 250 and you'll be ready in a year (hopefully).

Riding any bike is about maturity.

I'm not sold on the 600-650 upgrades. I prefer 750 or 1000.

caps
July 9th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I'm confidant that in a year I'll be skilled enough, mature enough, and mentally able to go from a 250r to a v4 megabike.
you need to read this (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393580). It is about Subaru's but the same principles are apparent. And I know a little something about the RSV4's
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/capsisking/250r/2011-05-29_13-14-41_431.jpg
And honestly it is everything you would expect, it's a track bike with some lights and mirrors. It is VERY uncomfortable and needs a new seat immediately unless your dragging knees around every corner.

Oh, and did I mention it gets 20mpg when driven conservatively?

WOTurtle
July 9th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I hopped off my 250 and onto my buddies 07 1000rr, and I've never had so much adrenaline pumping through me in my life. 1000cc sportbikes are CRAZY FAST, you have to be very careful with the power. But after a few miles I was surprised at how easy it was to ride.

LoneRonin
July 9th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I hopped off my 250 and onto my buddies 07 1000rr, and I've never had so much adrenaline pumping through me in my life. 1000cc sportbikes are CRAZY FAST, you have to be very careful with the power. But after a few miles I was surprised at how easy it was to ride.

same here...rode the CBR1000rr and VFR1200 at a Demo day after having only ridden the 250r. I'm an experienced rider and very confident so I had no worries other than I might just run off with the bike and never come back...they were orgasmic.

NathanUc
July 10th, 2011, 03:45 AM
My concern isn't power it's just about my future and motorcycling. When you have an RSV4, there's no room to go up and I think that might hurt it as a hobby. Looking forward to new bikes down the road is great fun and I think I'd miss it.

In a perfect world I'd be able to progress my way up, but when money and time is limited things get tricky. I'm not getting any younger and would like to have my fun while I'm young and single :P

I'm going to take a trip up to the Aprilia dealership next weekend to take a look at them; it's an hour away but should be worth it.

Racer x
July 10th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Just my 2 cents.
I ride these bikes and other bikes with some power. Riding them is fun .It is the owning them that gets boring real fast. Dropping them, not crashing them just falling over in the driveway cost more than a used 250 ninja,Then there is the insurance payments.. writing that check every month gets old. Taking it to a GOOD mechanic cost real money. You cant take an RSV4 to jiffy lube.
I hate to be a bummer .But that is the reality.I had a VFR 800 before the 250 . I liked riding it .But there was no storage space and it got 35 mpg. Yes I had fun racing on the highway.But in the tight stuff or daily traffic. It was heavy and hot . I am not saying the 250 is better .Just lighter cheaper and I can work on it myself.Not that I cant work on the Aprilia. I am the mechanic at an Aprilia dealer. I dread doing valve adjustments on the Millie R's I have not seen a V4 yet. But I know it will be a total pain to work on.

You might want to look at the RSV 1000 Factory. It has a V twin and they are getting cheaper all the time. about 8000 dollars.Plus the mechanics are used to working on them. and you can get parts on E bay.

NathanUc
July 10th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Just my 2 cents.
I ride these bikes and other bikes with some power. Riding them is fun .It is the owning them that gets boring real fast. Dropping them, not crashing them just falling over in the driveway cost more than a used 250 ninja,Then there is the insurance payments.. writing that check every month gets old. Taking it to a GOOD mechanic cost real money. You cant take an RSV4 to jiffy lube.
I hate to be a bummer .But that is the reality.I had a VFR 800 before the 250 . I liked riding it .But there was no storage space and it got 35 mpg. Yes I had fun racing on the highway.But in the tight stuff or daily traffic. It was heavy and hot . I am not saying the 250 is better .Just lighter cheaper and I can work on it myself.Not that I cant work on the Aprilia. I am the mechanic at an Aprilia dealer. I dread doing valve adjustments on the Millie R's I have not seen a V4 yet. But I know it will be a total pain to work on.

You might want to look at the RSV 1000 Factory. It has a V twin and they are getting cheaper all the time. about 8000 dollars.Plus the mechanics are used to working on them. and you can get parts on E bay.

That's a lot of really really solid advice and gives me a bit more to think about. Some of those points never really crossed my mind. I'll definitely look into the RSV 1000. Thanks for feedback

Mad jealous of your job btw. If I had the skills you have, I wouldn't be here ( would have gotten myself a RS 125 if I thought I could handle the mechanical work)

Racer x
July 10th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I want an RS 250 . The 125 should be fun to ride though. I can't wait for someone to buy one so I can test it out. :p

rusninja
July 11th, 2011, 12:23 AM
you need to read this (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393580). It is about Subaru's but the same principles are apparent. And I know a little something about the RSV4's
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/capsisking/250r/2011-05-29_13-14-41_431.jpg
And honestly it is everything you would expect, it's a track bike with some lights and mirrors. It is VERY uncomfortable and needs a new seat immediately unless your dragging knees around every corner.

Oh, and did I mention it gets 20mpg when driven conservatively?

wow :o it makes your bike look broken >.> sorry i had to say that.:p

ducducgooseit
July 11th, 2011, 01:31 AM
... When you have an RSV4, there's no room to go up ...

:D Say that at an Italian bike night and wait for the hoots and hollers.:rolleyes: