View Full Version : Sprocket Change, horrible noise now

Bosgarage57
July 9th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Hey guys, I changed my front sprocket to a 15t. took it out for a ride tonight and it sounds horrible. I'm gonna say its my chain not tight enough. Does fine until I either pull in the clutch and just cruise or im decelerating, thats when it starts making noises. My question is, is their any easier way to align the rear wheel? I used the notches on either side of the swingarm, I've heard about some kind of rope or string you can use to. Any help?

kkim
July 9th, 2011, 08:00 PM
how much freeplay do you have on the chain now?

use the adjuster bolts as your alignment guide. keep the number of threads equal on both side.

Bosgarage57
July 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM
When I push up on the chain (from the bottom) about 2" of free play, but I cannot pull it off the back of the rear sprocket. we did use the bolts on each side when we were getting it all put back together the other night.

kkim
July 9th, 2011, 08:10 PM
2" of free play is a bit over spec. try a little over 1". I try to aim for the high limit of the specs of 1.2".

Bosgarage57
July 9th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Ok we'll give it a try in the morning! thanks kelly for the fast reply.

Snake
July 10th, 2011, 10:34 AM
You may want to also check the wear on the chain and rear sprocket. Normaly you want to change the chain, front and rear sprocket at the same time. If the chain has alot of miles on it with lots of wear it will cause your front sprocket to prematurely wear.