View Full Version : Dropped it today :P

KawiKid860
July 11th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Well pretty anticlimactic story here.... I went on my first ride on the freeway today with my dad, the wind noise was crazy so I tucked in and it got way better, got off the freeway heading home, my dad told me to keep going he was going to go back to try and find his glasses (forgot they were on his shirt and they flew off riding) so I go home, turn around in the driveway, put my bike in neutral, shut it off and go to lean it over....and it kept on going! It took me by so much surprise I didn't even have a chance to set it over gently it just went! Then I was like ****, and I did something I'm oddly proud of, even though it really wasn't an emergency I stopped and thought and calmed down, took my gear off then went to pick my baby up. I got it up onto its wheels but then it got harder, and I didn't use the proper form where you like turn around and use your legs to lift it up i just yanked it on up because it was on its left side so there was no kickstand to catch it if I went too far, got it up after some intense GGARRRGRGRGRGAGGRRRRRGRGRGRRGAGing (good thing the gas tank wasn't full, lol!) and checked it out. Total damage: Slightly scratched bar end and turn indicator, bent clutch lever and that's it! Pretty lucky, the exhaust is unscathed, fairings are fine!

So, lesson learned, ALWAYS check that your kickstand is down! Such a rooky mistake :P

Oh also does anyone know if I can bend the lever back or will that just snap it off?

bettysmith
July 11th, 2011, 04:48 PM
You should leave it in gear when you park as well. It will keep it from rolling.

Glad nothing really got damaged though.

Alex
July 11th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Murphey to the red courtesy phone (click here) ------> Link (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25913)

Bosgarage57
July 11th, 2011, 05:11 PM
You should leave it in gear when you park as well. It will keep it from rolling.

I ALWAYS park my bike in 1st. I do this because when I park it in first, I tend to rock back and forth to make sure its in first then put the kickstand down. I also lean to the left on it to make sure the kickstand it planted. Just my little ritual I do.

alex.s
July 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM
sorry to hear, but it's happened to the best of us. i don't think i've used neutral outside of when it's on the stand and i'm cleaning the chain in about 6 months... personally except for cleaning the chain or moving it when it's off i find neutral pretty useless

KawiKid860
July 11th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Well I knew you were supposed to leave it in gear on a hill so it didn't roll but I never thought of using it on flat ground, usually we have to move the bikes around all the time since we're still in the process of moving stuff from our garage to our shed so I leave it in neutral so its easy to hop on and move for whatever reason. I guess I'll start leaving it in first just to make a good habit

Snake
July 11th, 2011, 07:35 PM

I leave it in gear as well and put the kickstand down which kills the engine verifying that the kickstand is down. My dimount ritual

wkiltz
July 11th, 2011, 07:42 PM
i used to use the side stand kill switch... it fried out on me so i used a jumper wire and forgot all about the side stand switch.. ha

2010Zen
July 11th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Well Murphey...We all have done it a time or two...at least you were calm when it happened...I can say that I myself had done it too at the 7-11 gas pump. Card reader wasn't working and had to scoot the bike back to the pump behind me...put my kickstand up while scooting, came to a stop, leaned it over and just kept going...DOH!! No kickstand dingaling!! LOL I'm sure the ppl in 7-11 were intertained with my reaction...actually I can laugh at it now too...good thing an ex coworker came by to get gas..he helped me pick the bike up..damage: little scrapes on fairings, broken left turn signal, and broken clutch lever which are all replaceable....my ego....shot to hell.....lmao

n4mwd
July 11th, 2011, 08:05 PM
That's pretty embarrassing for sure. You should take a close look at your shifter because its pretty vulnerable in a left side fall.

Just curious, but are you using a 3/4 helmet? I had one when I first started riding and it was like a parachute on the Ninja. You said you had to tuck while on the interstate which is why I ask. I use a full modular now with no problems.

quanttrom
July 11th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I dropped my bike on the first day I had it ( VERY LOW speed drop, barely moving..), and like most of you the clutch lever was bent. Well I decided to be brave and try to bend it back...and it snapped.

It seems like they used some kind of aluminum alloy and it's quite brittle. Don't quote me on it, I'm not a materials scientist.

Now I need to look for replacement lever(s)..

ducducgooseit
July 11th, 2011, 09:33 PM
:(

SSR
July 11th, 2011, 09:41 PM
We've ALL done something silly like that. And more embarassing than that. Trust me.:rolleyes:

wtfh4xx
July 11th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Pro tip, apply heat to metal and it becomes much more malleable.
AKA: Heat + metal = squishy metal that wont snap when you work it.

KawiKid860
July 11th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Just curious, but are you using a 3/4 helmet? I had one when I first started riding and it was like a parachute on the Ninja. You said you had to tuck while on the interstate which is why I ask. I use a full modular now with no problems.

I use a full helmet, just a cheap HJC I've had for a few years I might get a nicer one when I come into the money. The wind wasn't blowing me around, it was just noisy. I'm not used to have my bike up to that speed (60mph) but I may need to invest in some ear plugs.

Pro tip, apply heat to metal and it becomes much more malleable.
AKA: Heat + metal = squishy metal that wont snap when you work it.

My dad said he might have a friend of his who's a welder try and straighten it, or just replace it. For the time being its good, I just cant get all 4 fingers on it to shift now lol, I didn't even check my shift lever... It's probably fine though because I rode it afterwards and she shifted fine :P I'm just glad it didn't damage any of the plastics!

Also one more question; I've seen a lady drop her bike (and I helped her pick it up of course!) and when I dropped mine, it took a few attempts to get it started in both cases. Is this because the fuel ran out of the carbs while it was over?

n4mwd
July 12th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I use a full helmet, just a cheap HJC I've had for a few years I might get a nicer one when I come into the money. The wind wasn't blowing me around, it was just noisy. I'm not used to have my bike up to that speed (60mph) but I may need to invest in some ear plugs.

There have been a few other people here post that they had similar problems with noise in the helmet when riding. I had a problem with my 3/4, but not the modular. The helmet makes a big difference with the noise and comfort. Unfortunately, they wont let you try it and bring it back if you don't like it. I think its a liability thing for them.

If you decide to buy a new helmet, you might check out some of the online cycle stores that have uncensored feedback. If there isn't any negative feedback, then its probably censored. Even the best product will always have some guy complaining about it.

My dad said he might have a friend of his who's a welder try and straighten it, or just replace it. For the time being its good, I just cant get all 4 fingers on it to shift now lol, I didn't even check my shift lever... It's probably fine though because I rode it afterwards and she shifted fine :P I'm just glad it didn't damage any of the plastics!

I dropped mine when I was first learning to ride (Sept 10). My shifter was mangled, my clutch lever bent and some very minor road rash to the plastics and muffler. In my case, it was due to a defective boot that came apart and got stuck on the peg.

I fixed the shifter by removing it and hammering it back. Its made of soft steel. The turn signal was in a rubber base thing that I just poked it back in. I left everything else as a battle scar because it was barely noticeable unless you are looking for it.

I don't think I would try to bend the clutch lever back unless it was really bad. I'm pretty sure its aluminum. As far as heating it, I wouldn't do that unless you are highly skilled in working with aluminum. Unlike steel, aluminum doesn't change color as it heats. So your heating it, heating it, its getting hotter, then bam - its a puddle.

As for the plastics, the plastics are quite possibly the most expensive parts on the bike. If you ever damage them, save all the pieces even though it looks hopeless. There is a lot that can be done to restore plastic body parts.

Also one more question; I've seen a lady drop her bike (and I helped her pick it up of course!) and when I dropped mine, it took a few attempts to get it started in both cases. Is this because the fuel ran out of the carbs while it was over?

When a bike with carbs tips over, some of the gas gets into the cylinders. Essentially, your bike gets flooded. Twist the throttle all the way open. Choke OFF. Crank and it will start. Its their way of bitching at you for letting them fall over.

KawiKid860
July 12th, 2011, 01:06 PM
When a bike with carbs tips over, some of the gas gets into the cylinders. Essentially, your bike gets flooded. Twist the throttle all the way open. Choke OFF. Crank and it will start. Its their way of bitching at you for letting them fall over.

I just held the starter button for a few seconds and it cranked then eventually started to fire and I let it run for a little while then let her rest... then it started to whine at me...

n4mwd
July 12th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I just held the starter button for a few seconds and it cranked then eventually started to fire and I let it run for a little while then let her rest... then it started to whine at me...

On a Ninja with carbs, the gas tank is vented because of the gravity feed to the carbs. When the sun hits it, it will make a whistling sound. If that is what you are talking about, its normal.

KawiKid860
July 12th, 2011, 05:42 PM
On a Ninja with carbs, the gas tank is vented because of the gravity feed to the carbs. When the sun hits it, it will make a whistling sound. If that is what you are talking about, its normal.

Haha I know, I just thought it was ironic that it started whining for the first time after I dropped it :P

Havok
August 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM
sorry to hear, but it's happened to the best of us. i don't think i've used neutral outside of when it's on the stand and i'm cleaning the chain in about 6 months... personally except for cleaning the chain or moving it when it's off i find neutral pretty useless

I call bullshit you love neutral! With how may tiles you have ha to push or coast how could you not! Lol

To the OP glad you didn't get the punch through on the fairings, that crap pissed me off when mine went over.

2011Ninja250R
August 1st, 2011, 05:48 PM
Sounds like the perfect excuse for some Pazzo's :D