View Full Version : Review: Rich Oliver's Mystery School

gfloyd2002
July 14th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I attended Rich Oliver's Mystery School (http://www.richoliver.net/) this week. I highly recommend the school. Rich is a five time former AMA national champ and a former Yamaha factory superbike rider. He now coaches AMA racers, traveling the AMA circuit (and he announces, does color commentary, etc.) and runs the Mystery school.

The school is run at Rich's ranch in the mountains in Auberry, CA. It is a pretty big complex with a number of dirt tracks set up for all levels. He provides the gear, lunch, the bikes, etc. The rider just shows up and all is handled. Gear was in excellent condition - Shoei helmets, Cortech boots, Shift pants, gloves, jersey, etc. Bikes were Yamahas (of course), in great condition. All riding is offroad MX riding.

My session was 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. with lunch and breaks throughout the day. We started on small ovals, moved to figure 8s, then to larger tracks with more speed and corners, progressively more difficult through the day. Each change felt challenging, but within limits. Perfect progression. Rich's coaching was informative, posititve. You felt like you were doing well, but you also knew when you weren't. Rich uses photos and video through the day to improve form and critique. Rich also talked alot about what it takes to win apart from technique. The attitude of a champion, the approach he sees in common with the best racers. Very valuable insight about success in general, not just limited to racing, from someone who has been there and speaks with authority.

Did it improve my street riding? Probably. Though I hope to keep my rear wheel firmly planted beneath me on the road, I do think I'll be better able to control the bike now with some of the dirt riding techniques for handling a squirrely bike. I was a bit hesitant about learning road techniques at a dirt track, but there are real benefits to learning improved bike control by sliding a dirt bike. I feel like I got a great understanding of how the motorcycle works at its limit, and what it feels like right where you lose traction. I was surprised to learn that the limit is beyond having your tires in perfect contact and grip with the pavement, and learning how to manage a bike that is a bit out of control, done in a way (off the street) where there are fewer consequences for a getoff. Very fun to back into corners on the brakes, lose the front in the corners and save it, power slide the rear tire off the corners, etc. Rich used dirt track training to help him race grand prix, and credits it to making him faster. Since road racing is his background, he's pretty good at making the connections to street riding. In fact, many motorcycle police use the school for training.

But regardless of how it translates to street (and I think it will), it was really fun. It was a kick to do something different. And personally, Rich is just a great guy. The kind of guy and the kind of school it feels good to support.

Alex
July 14th, 2011, 09:38 AM
*jealous* :thumbup:

CC Cowboy
July 14th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Rich was untouchable on a 250.

kkim
July 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Ridng a dirt bike to sharpen one's skills on a street bike... who would have guessed? ;)

Buying a dirt bike now?

gfloyd2002
July 14th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I'm definately interested in a dirt bike for the first time. Though after riding one for 7 hours, I was so sore I could barely walk yesterday. Or lift my arms above my head. Much more active, and uses completely different muscles, than a road bike.

austexjg
July 14th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Dirt riding is great fun, but getting air can be as addictive as draggin' a knee - as just as brutal in a mistake.

CC Cowboy
July 14th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I'm definately interested in a dirt bike for the first time. Though after riding one for 7 hours, I was so sore I could barely walk yesterday. Or lift my arms above my head. Much more active, and uses completely different muscles, than a road bike.

You use every muscle in your body!

gfloyd2002
July 16th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Interesting. Upon return from the US, I went out this morning on my usual weekend ride through the hills, and I picked up 5 mph in the corners and feel like I could have done more safely. I felt much more planted. Main reason I think was an acute awareness of where my weight was and getting rid of the idea that I'm planted on the bike in the seat. MX training really helped me move my body around the bike. I adjusted my weight backwards over the rear wheel, put more weight on my pegs and off my butt, and used my body more in the corners. Magic.

kkim
July 16th, 2011, 01:19 PM
most street riders never discover the magic of peg weighting and how it can improve one's riding. shhhh... :spy:

ratlab
July 17th, 2011, 06:58 PM
i'm lucky enough to live 15 minutes away from a off road vehicle area -i use small displacement dirt bikes to keep riding skills sharp-school sounds great!!

Xoulrath
July 19th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Looks like serious fun.

I've heard for years from experienced riders that riding dirt was a great way to get a grip on traction on the road (pun intended). It does make sense that the amount of movement necessary on a dirt bike to really work it could give you a better understanding of weight transfer and body position on your street ride.

Great post, Floyd.