View Full Version : Judge me, criticize me, and help me...I'm new :)

YORCHI
July 26th, 2011, 10:04 PM
dAvz8xmjUrI

Alright so I've had my bike for two weeks now and I've ridden around my parking lot race track for 65 miles. I've practiced a lot of slow turns, lots of u-turns, and I've practiced stopping and starting into turns like I'm turning from a stop light or stop sign. I've even practiced starting up hill. I feel good on the bike and I think I'm ready to start venturing out into the street. I want to take the bike to work for the first time this Friday so I have tomorrow and Thursday to ride around my block and the streets here and get the last 10 miles in that I feel I need.

It's a very short trip, 9 minutes if I take the freeway, but I want to take the streets and only ride the streets for at least another hundred miles or so before I take it on the freeway. There is hardly any traffic in the mornings going to work but there is a lot of traffic in the afternoon on the way back which is what worries me the most right now.

With all that being said, take a look at the video I just made testing out my camera mount and Bloggie set up and let me know what you think I'm doing wrong or right from what you can see and hear. I have tough skin so I can take the criticism but please keep the death insults to yourself...I don't wanna be told that I'm going to die and crash on my bike, it's not nice :(

I swear this is not just a shameless way to get the view count up on my video, I really do wanna know what I should work on so I don't wind up as another dude with a busted up bike...

setasai
July 26th, 2011, 10:28 PM
That mount looks like it's mounted on real well. What camera are you using?

How did you manage 65miles in a parking lot? That's insane. I dont have nearly as much patience as you do. Also, where the hell did you find a plaza/apartment complex with practically no cars? Wish I had a deserted place to mess around with.

YORCHI
July 26th, 2011, 10:34 PM
That mount looks like it's mounted on real well. What camera are you using?

How did you manage 65miles in a parking lot? That's insane. I dont have nearly as much patience as you do. Also, where the hell did you find a plaza/apartment complex with practically no cars? Wish I had a deserted place to mess around with.
I'm using the Sony PM5 Bloggie on a RAM camera mount

And the parking lot is right across the street from where I live. It's a business park and none of those buildings are occupied so it's free for me to do anything I want. The 65 miles didn't come easily, I've spent hours there going in circles with all of my gear on so I've sweated quite a bit lol

I think one full lap around my track is like a little under a mile so I've ridden it over and over again combined with doing a ton of u-turns and circle turns between the parking stalls. I would rather practice to the point that I got bored and desperate than to risk doing something dumb on the street and paying for it later.

setasai
July 26th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I'm using the Sony PM5 Bloggie on a RAM camera mount

And the parking lot is right across the street from where I live. It's a business park and none of those buildings are occupied so it's free for me to do anything I want. The 65 miles didn't come easily, I've spent hours there going in circles with all of my gear on so I've sweated quite a bit lol

I think one full lap around my track is like a little under a mile so I've ridden it over and over again combined with doing a ton of u-turns and circle turns between the parking stalls. I would rather practice to the point that I got bored and desperate than to risk doing something dumb on the street and paying for it later.

True true. I applaud your dedication.

I made some mods to the ram camera mount that I think is important for the camera because twisting on the mount itself is not good for the camera itself and should have some padding underneath it. Here is a thread of my modifications for the mount.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76541

00NissanNinja
July 26th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I don't see anything particularly wrong. Is there something that is especially bothering you? Better to get completely acquainted with your bike than to make screw up around cars so you are doing what you need to to get comfortable.

YORCHI
July 26th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I don't see anything particularly wrong. Is there something that is especially bothering you? Better to get completely acquainted with your bike than to make screw up around cars so you are doing what you need to to get comfortable.
Maybe I'm just being extra cautious but I still think my throttle and clutch control sucks, especially when driving slow and turning in 1st gear. I also keep thinking that I'm breaking in the bike the wrong way and am gonna mess something up later. Aside from that I think everything else I'll just get more comfortable with over time. I might go riding around town with a friend this Saturday so that should help boost up my confidence a lot.

YORCHI
July 26th, 2011, 10:58 PM
True true. I applaud your dedication.

I made some mods to the ram camera mount that I think is important for the camera because twisting on the mount itself is not good for the camera itself and should have some padding underneath it. Here is a thread of my modifications for the mount.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76541
I screw the camera onto the mount and don't touch the mount itself. I've aligned it so the camera is snug enough and facing forward. The threads aren't too high so I don't think it's gonna damage anything unless I really over tighten it. I had it on the handlebar before but I didn't like how it was to the side and felt more like in my way. The only way it obstructs me directly in front of the handlebars is when I turn them completely to one side or the other and then all it does is nudge the mount a tiny bit.

00NissanNinja
July 26th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Maybe I'm just being extra cautious but I still think my throttle and clutch control sucks, especially when driving slow and turning in 1st gear. I also keep thinking that I'm breaking in the bike the wrong way and am gonna mess something up later. Aside from that I think everything else I'll just get more comfortable with over time. I might go riding around town with a friend this Saturday so that should help boost up my confidence a lot.

Throttle control will come with time, eventually you'll figure out the sweet spots. I wouldn't worry to much about the break in, sounds like you are varying your rpms a bit. I followed the factory break in (somewhat I limited it to 6000rpm for the first 500 miles), and just rode around my house and some empty roads till I got used to everything (which also allowed me to open it up a bit).

almost40
July 26th, 2011, 11:05 PM
The bike will be fine. Check out the break in threads. Swap the oil a couple times before 1000 miles.

YORCHI
July 26th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the tips, I guess I'm doing better than I thought which is good to hear

Jiggles
July 26th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Nice riding grandma! lol jk

First off, camera. Yours does 1080p 30fps correct? It might be a better idea to use that mode so that you can capture license plates in higher detail for any insurance issues that may come up. Second, we really can't give you feed back because we can't see what your doing. If you want some feedback on riding posture, lean angle, etc. try positioning the camera behind you.

Now then for your riding, Get out on the streets! Remember what your MSF coach told you after the first day? Your now an officially licensed motorcycle rider. It seems scary at first but after a few minutes of riding around cars you get a whole lot more comfortable. As for the freeway, it's damn windy.

The faster you go, the more necessary counter steering becomes. Going slow you are probably using just your weight or your weight and counter steering in order to turn. Once you start going 50+ shifting your weight on the bike won't cause it to lean very much.

Also know that your bike will lean a lot farther than you will feel comfortable leaning. If you get into a situation in a turn where its lean more or brake, you definitely want to lean more.

Last bit of advice: Ride every day.

I've had my bike for almost 2 months and I've gone nearly 3000 miles on it. At 600 miles I was a ton more confident than when I started. At 1200 miles I was a ton more confident than I was at 600. And now, well you get the idea :D

Ride everyday until your a Ninja Pro.

DarC
July 26th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I really applaud your dedication to practicing. It really shows some maturity regarding the subject. I remember when I first started riding on the street. I began by doing what you are doing and slowly make short trips out of my neighborhood, then to the grocery store, then to the wal-mart, and finally work. After a few weeks or riding the back roads I hopped on the freeway and felt very comfortable and confident.

The best thing you can do now is just go out there and apply what you have learned and get used to interacting with traffic. Street wits will come with time and patience, which you seem to have a lot of!

Oh, and practice going over those speed bumps. There are many things you may encounter, including more bumps, that you may not be able to avoid. Best to know how it feels if you haven't already.

Good luck and stay safe :thumbup:

gfloyd2002
July 27th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Great to see a new rider really take practice seriously. I could find the stats if I looked harder, but it is crazy what a large percentage of accidents are in the first miles of riding. You are really doing the right thing by taking it slow.

If you haven't read David Hough's excellent "Proficient Motorcycling," I highly recommend it. Great book on technique that is very accessible to the new rider and geared towards normal, not track, riding.

In your video, I noticed that you may not be countersteering to turn, though it is a bit tough to tell. Check out threads here on countersteering, or even better, check it out in Hough's book.

Good luck!

Error_mage
July 27th, 2011, 05:01 AM
It’s difficult to give good advice without actually having seen you ride in person, or perhaps it’s just difficult to give good advice in general =P

65 miles in a parking lot is a lot of practice, but only 65 miles of experience on a bike is not…So remain cautious, but don’t let it take the fun out of riding. That being said I believe you’re more than ready to hit the streets.

In Germany where you need to attend a 2-3month course the instructors have you cruise a square lot for an hour until you get the shifting and turning down before they throw you into traffic. From the what the video shows you’ve got that nailed =) If you have the time I’d suggest friends on a bike or even car to follow you out for the first ride on the street. Then definitely leave early or schedule the ride so you’re not in a time crunch stressing to get somewhere.

PHL
July 27th, 2011, 07:46 AM
I'll agree with those who say you just have to get out there. Just received my license in May, no previous experience ever, and bought the 250 in June. I live in the city so I didn't have the luxury of a "personal practice space" other than driving to empty parking lots. Of course there was plenty of traffic going there. I would go at night, after midnight, but that opens another can of worms. I needed a lot of clutch work, even though I drive a standard (coordination ain't my forte). I would practice in parking lots for nearly an hour. I think the box exercise really helps develop a feel for the clutch.

But at a certain point, you just have to do it. One thing you and I, and other noobs, have going for us is being hyper-aware. I'm afraid, once I log more miles (coming up on 300 or so), I'll lose that AND not have much experience and riding skill. But we do have to feel what riding in a 35mph zone with cars passing us at 50mph feels like. Parking lots won't give us that. I'm riding to work regularly now and rode on the freeway this early Sunday morning. Again, just did it to get over the initial "shock" of the experience.

YORCHI
July 27th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Well thanks again for all the tips...I woke up this morning feeling really confident about it so I said screw it and brought the bike to work...

I know I jumped the gun but I just felt like today was the day. It turned out to be a great little morning ride and I'm glad I brought it. Now this day is going to drag on forever cause all I wanna do is get out and ride again.

I'll post a video tonight when I get home. It's boring though but exciting for me :)

Vampyre
July 27th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Nice that you have the practice spot. My first ride after the MSF was a 30mi ride home from the dealer with mid afternoon traffic in Orlando.

rockNroll
July 27th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Sounds like you're riding a sewing machine :p

and where's the wheelies?

YORCHI
July 27th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Sounds like you're riding a sewing machine :p

and where's the wheelies?
I can't post up the stunting videos yet

kaiserz
July 27th, 2011, 09:48 AM
:thumbup:

setasai
July 27th, 2011, 10:30 AM

If it feels too choppy in 1st, try 2nd gear. Otherwise, time to head out and do some long distance traveling. :thumbup:

YORCHI
July 27th, 2011, 10:50 AM
If it feels too choppy in 1st, try 2nd gear. Otherwise, time to head out and do some long distance traveling. :thumbup:
like Sacramento to Los Angeles? lol

setasai
July 27th, 2011, 11:00 AM
like Sacramento to Los Angeles? lol

I gotta tell you, I had so much fun that 12 hours on the road was nothing. I met some other riders at random stopping points and even joined a random group to ride for a chunk of the freeway. No words were exchanged with the group but they knew what I was doing and was cool with it. I basically tailed them for 20miles. We waved each other when we parted freeways.

Or you could try coming down to San Jose. I recommend I-5 to 580 to 680. It was easier and the lanes were larger. Not nearly as fun though.

alex.s
July 27th, 2011, 11:30 AM
likes fine to me :thumbup:

you might want to practice tight u-turns as well

one comment, i personally find neutral close to useless when riding. the only time i use it is when i'm cleaning the chain. if i'm sitting at a light i leave it in gear in case some smart guy decides he wants to try to rear-end me (quick getaway- not to say you run the light and get hit by a car, but rather make a sharp turn to get out of the way) and if i'm going to be sitting somewhere with the bike i turn it off.

greg737
July 27th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I'll tell you where you're way ahead of a lot of riders at your experience level: it appears you've got the imagination necessary to see the possibility of a negative outcome to your actions, so you're attempting to be prepared.

A squid is exactly the opposite: He doesn't have the imagination necessary to see the possibility of a negative outcome to anything he might do. He can see other people getting hurt doing exactly what he's planning to do but he won't/can't imagine that it will happen to him. It's like he has the mental version of a blind-spot.

You can show a squid mountains of statistics about crashes, hours of pictures and videos of road-rashed bodies, and you can describe the pain involved in recovery from those things. But there's a mental wall between this reality and their view of themselves. All that information doesn't apply to them because something inside the squid's brain tells him that accidents only happen to other people. This leaves him completely worry-free and capable of trying just about anything.

Some people just don't "get it" and they never will, but they've got motorcycles anyway and they're out there on the roads.

YORCHI
July 27th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I'll tell you where you're way ahead of a lot of riders at your experience level: it appears you've got the imagination necessary to see the possibility of a negative outcome to your actions, so you're attempting to be prepared.

A squid is exactly the opposite: He doesn't have the imagination necessary to see the possibility of a negative outcome to anything he might do. He can see other people getting hurt doing exactly what he's planning to do but he won't/can't imagine that it will happen to him. It's like he has the mental version of a blind-spot.

You can show a squid mountains of statistics about crashes, hours of pictures and videos of road-rashed bodies, and you can describe the pain involved in recovery from those things. But there's a mental wall between this reality and their view of themselves. All that information doesn't apply to them because something inside the squid's brain tells him that accidents only happen to other people. This leaves him completely worry-free and capable of trying just about anything.

Some people just don't "get it" and they never will, but they've got motorcycles anyway and they're out there on the roads.
I've taken so many things on safety and situational awareness that I can't seem to do anything without going through a list of things in my head about possible scenarios and how to avoid or deal with them...so riding the bike is like one of those for me that is constantly running. Today while I was riding I kept myself very aware of everything around me and while it was a blast riding around I couldn't stop to think about that because I kept picturing what could happen in every few feet I traveled.

I think the biggest thing for me keeping me safe is knowing that I have a wife and daughter waiting for me to come home safely. That's all I need really to keep me from doing anything dumb and reckless.

blink
July 27th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Maybe mount the camera on your head so we cna get a better idea/visual of your driving, with this mount it's hard to point out mistakes.

If it's on your head then we know when and how you shoulder check etc.

YORCHI
July 27th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Maybe mount the camera on your head so we cna get a better idea/visual of your driving, with this mount it's hard to point out mistakes.

If it's on your head then we know when and how you shoulder check etc.
I don't wanna stick anything on my helmet and I'm scared of using a suction cup mount cause I won't feel the camera fly off or it will pretty much be done if and when it hits the floor...

I guess I was thinking that you guys would be able to hear and see how I drive and turn to tell me whether I'm doing something obviously wrong but since it's hard to tell then I'm taking most of that as I'm doing things right and shouldn't worry too much

DarkNinja52
July 27th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Nice, good u-turn. Just sit there and practice finding neutral and youll be good to go =p

YORCHI
July 27th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Nice, good u-turn. Just sit there and practice finding neutral and youll be good to go =p
stupid half shift up doesn't wanna go in unless I look down at the light and make sure it's on!!! :mad:

gfloyd2002
July 28th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Don't worry, you'll find neutral very reliably every time you try to impress someone by zooming off in first and making a strong shift into second. :p

NathanUc
July 28th, 2011, 05:32 AM
You'll notice it's easier to find neutral if you are completely stopped. It's not that important because you'll only really use it when starting the bike anyways.

Smart practicing like that! I wish I would have had a clear lot (and no snow..) when I first got mine. Your first road ride will probably be a million times less stressful because of it.

If I had to pick anything that seems like it could use some fine tuning, I'd say your shifting. It's definitely fine the way you do it but could be a little smoother. It will come naturally over time so don't worry about it.

The first 600 miles are pretty dangerous I'd say. If at all possible you might take some time every weekend to go back to the parking lot and do a few practice exercises; even at 5000miles I try to do a few every couple of weeks just to make sure my low speed handling is solid (don't really get much use of that on the road).

YORCHI
July 28th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Here's the very boring video of me riding to work for the first time tomorrow...the glare sucks!

So I now have a few more questions to ask you guys...I'll search for previous answers but here they are anyways:

1) What glasses do you guys use when riding? The ones I have get foggy really quickly when I'm not moving or going really slow. They're just some cheap polarized glasses I got at the store. Are glasses the way to go or should I just get a darker faceshield?

2) How do you make lights change for you? I was waiting forever at the left turn light until some cars pulled up behind me and made it change to green. It's a left turn only lane and the light is also left turn only. I know some lights have sensors on the floor and you can clearly see the markings but I couldn't see any at all for this light. I even tried putting my kick stand down but all that did was turn off my bike lol

3) Why is riding a bike so f***ing awesome!!!

4BZ9cIqC35g

gfloyd2002
July 28th, 2011, 09:01 AM
1. Don't get a dark smoke shield unless you don't ride at night, or if you don't mind switching the shield out for nightime rides. They are REALLY hard to see out of at night. If you don't plan on night riding, or bad weather riding, or if you have a helmet with quick change shields, they can be great. You can also put an anti-fog spray on your sunglasses, or even just wipe them down with dish soap and rise them off. I use the dish soap on my snorkle gear, my face shield, my glasses, etc. if I ever start to get fogging issues.

2. Lots of threads on light changes here you can find with the search function. Short answer is that the sensors are magnetized, and detect metal sitting over the seams. It is not weight, and sitting in the middle of the square patch does nothing, nor does bouncing, etc. You need to put your bike over the seam, where the wire under it can pick up the metal on your frame. Roll back and forth over it if you have an issue. Some people put magnets on their bike and do other stuff, but I never have a problem just by sitting on the seams in the pavement.

3. It is the vibration in the crotch, mostly. :p

Honko
July 28th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Ah, did not realize you had added another video, nice!

:rotflmao: at the horn honk at 3:00. I think I did that accidentally about 3 times while I was just riding around yesterday. Of course if yours wasn't accidental, then nevermind.

YORCHI
July 28th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Ah, did not realize you had added another video, nice!

:rotflmao: at the horn honk at 3:00. I think I did that accidentally about 3 times while I was just riding around yesterday. Of course if yours wasn't accidental, then nevermind.
haha yeah it was accidental lol I hope the guy waiting on the bus bench didn't think I honked at him :rotflmao:

U5er
August 26th, 2011, 07:55 AM
haha yeah it was accidental lol I hope the guy waiting on the bus bench didn't think I honked at him :rotflmao:

lol - I laughed. I do it sometimes too. I only have 1200Km experience and I quickly scanned through your videos. I applaud your patience and maturity. From a newbie to another newbie, I suggest (not sure if you are already doing it) you practice more road awareness. That head should be on a swivel. As for gear changes, you clutch out when coming to a stop and downshift so you're in 1st when you come to a complete stop. I did that too, but it is not good habit. Practice keeping the bike in gear and downshift to 2nd when coming to stops; then disengage the clutch and put it into 1st when coming to a complete stop. You can also downshift all the way to 1st when slowing down, but it will feel hard and if the RPM is too high it can feel scary for you. So just go to 2nd. It helped me adapt to the clutch, shift, throttle body movements quite nicely.

I also noticed you let out the clutch very gently when upshifting. Again, I also did this too when i started. It doesn't hurt anything but try and rev a bit higher and use the clutch a little quicker too. All this will come naturally once you conform to the bike's behaviour. Just keep it up, stay sharp and you will get it.

Safe ride!

Liquidtoon
August 26th, 2011, 10:44 AM
the only thing I seen that concerned me was your right turns, you should (legally-and for safety) come to a full stop before making a right, even when green. pedestrians walk when the light is green, and it is hard to see what is coming down the street while rolling thru.

For sunglasses you can get a bottle of rainX anti-fog, works on sun glasses as well as your face shield. If you want a darker shield just be careful not be be stuck out at night. I have ridden several times with the dark smoke and it is much harder to see.

In CA we can run a red on the 3rd cycle, when safe. I recommend going straight on green and doing a u-turn for the left. If it is a well traveled route, i.e. to work ect. you can see if they are the pressure type sensors then front brake hard on them to add a bit of force. Lights always suck, no real fix...

GeorgiaHooligan
September 12th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Did you get pulled over for riding to SLOW? just kiddn

Nemesis
September 12th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Man, I was hoping you worked at Carl's Jr. Now that would have been the shizzle, my nizzle.

1) What glasses do you guys use when riding? The ones I have get foggy really quickly when I'm not moving or going really slow. They're just some cheap polarized glasses I got at the store. Are glasses the way to go or should I just get a darker faceshield?

A: Dark Smoke Shield if you don't plan on riding during night time or you can get one of these:

Oakley Wind Jacket: $250 I own two pairs - different colors, of course. It's got a rubbery liner behind the lenses that sorta acts like a suction cup so air doesn't get underneath nor would the lenses fog up
http://www.oakley.com/images/catalog/generated/750x350/41/4e0b5741e7936.jpg

2) How do you make lights change for you? I was waiting forever at the left turn light until some cars pulled up behind me and made it change to green. It's a left turn only lane and the light is also left turn only. I know some lights have sensors on the floor and you can clearly see the markings but I couldn't see any at all for this light. I even tried putting my kick stand down but all that did was turn off my bike lol

A: Never tried the magnetic thingy but what's always worked for me is place yourself over the sensor, turn off the bike, and then turn it back on. For some reason unbeknownst to me it triggers the sensor and BANG...GREEN LIGHT.

3) Why is riding a bike so f***ing awesome!!!

A: What you're experiencing is one of the best feeling but sadly the feeling eventually goes away.

Now this is something I always teach my friends when they've just started riding: Practice shifting, signaling as you're about to grab the clutch lever while also braking with the front, pick a gear...get it to a desired speed (i.e. 45mph) and remember how the RPMs feel...try a higher gear...remember that...etc., etc., etc.,...practice emergency stops w/just the front brakes, practice tight right turns, try not to look at the odometer/speedometer, practice uphill/downhill stops, look far ahead...take quick glances around..., practice as many odd scenarios you could think of...it'll make you a better rider.