View Full Version : Off-topic doesn't show up in Unread Posts

Alex
July 27th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Hi all -

One minor change. Threads/posts from the off-topic area will no longer show up in the standard "unread posts" link at the top right of the page. All of the posts/threads continue to be just as accessible for folks who choose to click into the off-topic section. They just won't be front and center for folks who navigate this forum exclusively by the "unread posts" and "what's new" buttons.

Azhyen
July 27th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks Alex.

This really cleaned up my unread post counts.

ally99
July 27th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Great idea! At least the motorcycle relevant threads will always be the focus. People will have to go out of their way for the off-topic posts, so it should keep some of the traffic down in that section of the forum.

Honko
July 27th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Hi all -

One minor change. Threads/posts from the off-topic area will no longer show up in the standard "unread posts" link at the top right of the page. All of the posts/threads continue to be just as accessible for folks who choose to click into the off-topic section. They just won't be front and center for folks who navigate this forum exclusively by the "unread posts" and "what's new" buttons.

:thumbup:

austexjg
July 27th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Thank you very much :clapping: - maybe we can go back to being about bikes again.

rockNroll
July 27th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I clicked that "unread posts" up in the upper right hand corner just now. Thats the first time I've ever clicked it :o

Snake
July 27th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Awesome idea Alex! :thumbup:

alex.s
July 27th, 2011, 02:39 PM
great idea! :clap2:

Snake
July 27th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Alex, I would like to suggest that you also move the "Off topic" to the very bottom of the General section? Just a suggestion.

Alex
July 27th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I don't mind where it's placed on the page. Like most off-topic sections on forums, it tends to be quite busy at times, and the most posts/threads are usually clustered among a General forum and an Off-Topic forum. That's OK, and isn't a problem in and of itself.

This isn't intended to discourage people from posting things in that area, it's meant to make sure that people are really interested in interacting with the off-topic threads, and not just lumping all of that information at the same level of attention as the rest of the site. Those who aren't interested aren't bothered by it.

Alex
July 27th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I clicked that "unread posts" up in the upper right hand corner just now. Thats the first time I've ever clicked it :o

Once you get used to it, I find it to be a fantastic way to navigate this forum. :thumbup:

Though it does start to make me feel guilty if I go for a few days and I have 1500+ posts to catch up on... :eek:

Cuongism
July 27th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Hi Alex,
Is there a way to personalize it for each individual member? I would prefer not to have the "New Members" section to come up when I hit Unread Posts :ashamed10: Thanks for clarifying!

Alex
July 27th, 2011, 03:58 PM
No, I'm sorry. It's one of those "one size fits all" settings.

adri99an
July 28th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Alex would you pm me when you get a chance.

Thanks,

Adrian

Kevin2109
July 28th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Great Idea thank you

bluepoof
July 28th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Thank you! Great idea.

sombo
July 28th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I guess I'm one of the few that prefers they were listed with the rest of the unread posts. My habit is to use the unread posts link and browse for what I want to read then just click the "read" button when I'm done. Of course that marks all new unread posts as read including the now unlisted posts of the off-topic section. Oh well. :(

ally99
July 29th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Keep your routine, just alter it slightly. After you read through the new posts and visit the off-topic forum, THEN click the read button. That's how I'm doing it, and it seems to be working well.

the big mike
July 29th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Keep your routine, just alter it slightly. After you read through the new posts and visit the off-topic forum, THEN click the read button. That's how I'm doing it, and it seems to be working well.

+1 pure logic

Nice change alex :thumbup:

sombo
July 29th, 2011, 10:10 AM

hehe I already knew that one. Just a matter of stopping myself from hitting the read button out of habit before I visit the off-topic lol. It was just easier the other way is all.

Live2ride
July 29th, 2011, 10:37 AM
My unread post count went from 9,800+ to 998 :D. Ive never clicked the unread post count anyway, I guess its time to give it a try.

CZroe
July 29th, 2011, 10:45 AM
When someone bumps a million introduction threads to inflate their post count it floods the Unread Posts list too. Often, they are "welcoming" members from long ago, before they themselves were members. What's worse is that the OPs are often no longer active though their intro thread lives on!

ally99
July 29th, 2011, 11:08 AM
hehe I already knew that one. Just a matter of stopping myself from hitting the read button out of habit before I visit the off-topic lol. It was just easier the other way is all.

LOL! :o Sorry! Trying to help. :o

Snake
July 29th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the tip Allyson. It helped me out.

ally99
July 29th, 2011, 02:01 PM

Hm, maybe you could read the off-topic forum first then. :) Problem solved! :D

BTW, Rick, you are always so nice. :)