View Full Version : Bike was low sided - where do I go from here?

Trailerboy531
July 28th, 2011, 02:45 PM
So my friend was begging me to let him ride my bike. I figured he'd ridden before and just wanted to wake it around the parking lot so, why not be nice and let him try 'er out. Blah blah blah - he low sided my baby. The right foot peg is broken off with the rear break pedal, the plastics all over the place are scratched to hell, the Area P can is too. From looking at the pics can you guys tell what needs to be replaced and where I might find these parts? I just started riding 2 months ago so I really haven't had much time to figure a lot of this stuff out yet, I had hoped I'd have more time to learn this stuff before it all became important...

The bike also wouldn't start up right afterwards and I was having trouble getting it to shift gears but I eventually got it in to neutral. I starts now that i'm home though and the shifting seems to be fine; I'm guessing the motor was flooded?

So does anybody have suggestions of what, mechanically speaking, I need to check out and how and where I can get some replacement parts for my baby. Thanks guys..

nickjpass
July 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I can't tell if the fairings or frame are cracked. But as far as I can see you need a new rear set. Exhaust looks fine but I can't really tell. As for the scratches, repaint them or leave it as it is. You can always call your insurance company. But since you didn't drop it (You can always lie: insurance fraud though (I think)).

I wouldn't even give a cycle (or anything that I own) to anyone to use. Not even if he has 30 years of MotoGP experience under his belt.

austexjg
July 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Sounds like something your friend should be looking into - repair is the cheapest way to go. Never let anyone ride your bike without cash in hand or a easily accessible ATM - I have seen many an idiot claim to know how to ride.

Friends.... :lolsign:

adri99an
July 28th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Your bike was flooded....it should be fine now
How fast was he going?

Search this forum for parts...Ebay...Cheapcycleparts.com (boatload of $$$)

Hope your "friend" gives you the cash.

Ever think of reparing the fairings....then painting the bike a whole new color???

csmith12
July 28th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Is your friend OK? Hope so... and sorry bout the bike. I have seen worse that was fixed right up no problem.

Best of luck

Trailerboy531
July 28th, 2011, 03:06 PM
He's been my friend now for 2ish years so I know he's not going to cut and run - he's definitely already stated he'll be paying for everything and I know he will. He's fine - just got one small scrape.

as far as how fast he was going I would say probably around 15mph?

gfloyd2002
July 28th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Your insurance should probably cover your friend's accident as well -- most policies have a permitted user provision. It covers the bike, not you personally. May be more complicated if he is unlicensed, but worth looking into. Your friend should pay the deductible at least, if not more.

Exhaust can looks okay to my eye. Other stuff, you can replace pretty easily. The foot peg and brake pedal are just bolts, easy to fix. You'll need a new bracket there, too, by the looks of it. Right mirror brackets and mirror probably, and I suspect the right brake lever, too. Your right turn signal is probably beat to heck, too. You can shop for parts on any number of sites listed here: Ninjette.org Online Parts Dealers List (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37334). I would be shocked if there was anything mechanically wrong - it was just flooded.

OEM parts can be a bit spendy, but ordering is really easy at a site like Bike Bandit (www.bikebandit.com) or any number that have the full Ninjette parts diagram blowups with part numbers listed. If you don't go OEM, there are a number of ebay dealers, of various reputation, that will have parts you need. Be careful, do a search here for "fairings" and pick out the threads that talk about options for repair and replacement. Lots of good information already here in the forums, including some reviews of aftermarket.

adri99an
July 28th, 2011, 03:09 PM
The fairing is where the big dollars are.....I lowsided a year or so ago and have yet to fix it...I have a fairing....i just need to paint it to match my bike....

If he's going to pay.....get it online.... or wait and find one for less but man it takes patience....since your bike in a 2010 there may not be many people out there with fairings for sale...i have an 08 and it's still hard to find a fairing unless you wanna pay top dollar.....

coondog
July 28th, 2011, 03:53 PM
if you have nothing good to say....

Kevin2109
July 28th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Ever think of reparing the fairings....then painting the bike a whole new color???

Why would he want to do that?! We all know red and black is the best ;)

kaiserz
July 28th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Ouch D: This is why I tell people to get shogun sliders as their first mod.
Like they say, the carb got flooded that's why it didn't start at first.
Our lil ninjettes are tough bikes I'm pretty sure that all the damages was just cosmetics.

If ever you do the "insurance route" make sure your friend pays the deductible + extra cash, cause your "score" will go down, and your premium will go up cause of that. I would say he has to spend at least 1k for everything (;< nah maybe 700?

adri99an
July 28th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Why would he want to do that?! We all know red and black is the best ;)

:crazy: Red and black???

You mean Candy Plasma Blue :happy110:

Trailerboy531
July 28th, 2011, 05:00 PM
:crazy: Red and black???

You mean Candy Plasma Blue :happy110:

I'm with Kevin on this one, RED AND BLACK!

Also, Kevin can I borrow your fairings? :D

Kevin2109
July 28th, 2011, 05:06 PM

I have to pass on that offer :p I did low side mine though! But frame sliders saved almost everything! I'll take pics for ya in a bit :p

Trailerboy531
July 28th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I have to pass on that offer :p I did low side mine though! But frame sliders saved almost everything! I'll take pics for ya in a bit :p

Yeah I thought heavily about getting frame sliders but decided that I'd just be extra careful (haha sureeeee) and the previous owner brought up a good point about why he never got them. He said he'd rather all that force of the bike going down go into the plastics than be sent into the frame and possibly damaging that. I liked his logic then - about now I just kind of want to find a nice dark corner...

Anyway do you have any idea where I might be able to find fairings for our bikes?

nickjpass
July 28th, 2011, 05:15 PM

Really? Can't wait to see! What frame sliders did you have?

Kevin2109
July 28th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Yeah I thought heavily about getting frame sliders but decided that I'd just be extra careful (haha sureeeee) and the previous owner brought up a good point about why he never got them. He said he'd rather all that force of the bike going down go into the plastics than be sent into the frame and possibly damaging that. I liked his logic then - about now I just kind of want to find a nice dark corner...

Anyway do you have any idea where I might be able to find fairings for our bikes?

Well if you want to have the exact color without painting it them buy from the dealer for ~$400-500. You can get a whole fairing set on ebay for ~$500 shipped, but youll have to paint it and buy the decals for the black

Really? Can't wait to see! What frame sliders did you have?

I have the shogun sliders, they are the only ones that actually work, the others are just looks

adri99an
July 28th, 2011, 05:29 PM

Max- now you can paint yours candy plasma blue...we'll let you in on the best color kawi ever made.

nickjpass
July 28th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Well if you want to have the exact color without painting it them buy from the dealer for ~$400-500. You can get a whole fairing set on ebay for ~$500 shipped, but youll have to paint it and buy the decals for the black

I have the shogun sliders, they are the only ones that actually work, the others are just looks

Thanks wanted to know for the future :)