View Full Version : Can you, do you "Superman"?

highpsiguy
July 28th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Ok, some might find this juvenille- hell I do. I have a game I play when I stop. Not every time, but a good amount of time. Its a game of balance. When I stop I attempt to NOT put my feet down until I have to *like at redlights and such*. If I can pull it off for say 5 or more seconds I say "Superman" to myself. I got the idea by seeing cyclist rock back and forth on the pedals at stops, and thought hey maybe I can do that on motorcycle. I have done this for I dont know how many years. Maybe, I should have kept this to myself but I felt like sharing. ha
Its what you get when you put a obsessive compulsive guy on a motorcycle. Nothing like pulling up to a light, sitting there with both feet on pegs and then pulling away. SUPERMAN!

oblivion007
July 28th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I'm still practicing my "Superman" Never made the 5 secs though. I'll keep it in mind when I do make 5 secs =]

greatwhiteninja
July 28th, 2011, 07:27 PM
i can go for a few secs.. never tried counting..loL! on a side note im a huge superman fan.. tatoos, my licenseplate on my car says SUPERMN.. comics.. know all the movies word for word.. toy figures..yep! I AM SUPERMAN..haha!

Alex
July 28th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Yep, it's called a "track stand". People on fixed-gear bicycles can do it indefinitely by turning the front wheel slightly to one side and applying slight pedal pressure forward and back as needed to maintain balance. On motorcycles, no such luck, so it's a matter of simply holding balance without such tools for as long as possible. I do the same thing from time to time, but I don't know if I've held a full 5 seconds after coming to a complete stop and standing still.

Personally I don't see a huge safety risk in this, but others might disagree. Some LEO's are known to judge whether a motorcycle has come to a complete stop as whether or not they put a a foot down. Clearly you can put a foot down without stopping, and you can stop without putting a foot down, but nevertheless it's an indicator that some use to judge whether we've come to a complete stop or not.

highpsiguy
July 28th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Well to clarify -Coming to a stop at red light, keeping both feet on pegs and then leaving on green. SUPERMAN! 5 Seconds without pulling it off is still not doing too bad though. Dunno why I named it that... just did. Started doing it when I was still a teenager.

ducducgooseit
July 28th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Never said Superman, or much of anything else, to myself while trackstanding. But I have allowed myself a slight smile at splitting to the front on a red light, track standing, and starting off without lifting either foot off the pegs. :)

It is odd to see someone else do that across the intersection, which is why I allow myself to smile. :rolleyes:

adri99an
July 28th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I better get my cape out and see if I can do a full 5 seconds....

What happens if I see Lex Luthor? LOL

Superman- cool name!

ichibunkid.206
July 28th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Ok, some might find this juvenille- hell I do. I have a game I play when I stop. Not every time, but a good amount of time. Its a game of balance. When I stop I attempt to NOT put my feet down until I have to *like at redlights and such*. If I can pull it off for say 5 or more seconds I say "Superman" to myself. I got the idea by seeing cyclist rock back and forth on the pedals at stops, and thought hey maybe I can do that on motorcycle. I have done this for I dont know how many years. Maybe, I should have kept this to myself but I felt like sharing. ha
Its what you get when you put a obsessive compulsive guy on a motorcycle. Nothing like pulling up to a light, sitting there with both feet on pegs and then pulling away. SUPERMAN!

I'm afraid if I tried this on the street, I'd fall over and not be able to get up :eek: But now you got me curious.. So another thing to practice when I go to the parking lot.

Honko
July 28th, 2011, 08:11 PM
FxcYiCj8D98

??

ducducgooseit
July 28th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Now that's a wheelie. :D

nickjpass
July 28th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Why didn't the other riders superman?

5evenz
July 28th, 2011, 09:02 PM
HOLY COW! Imagine the Walnuts on that guy! I did this once with no hands on bmx. ended very painfully.

Xoulrath
July 28th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I've never tried it at stoplights and I have never counted, but I do this at unoccupied four-way stops all the time. I stop long enough to show that I have stopped and then off I go. Though I agree with Alex, and if a cop is around, I put my foot down.

ally99
July 29th, 2011, 04:03 AM
I do that all the time, well, minus the superman part. I like it though! It's like giving yourself a pat on the back for your extraordinary balance skills! :)

akima
July 29th, 2011, 05:30 AM
FxcYiCj8D98

??

That was amazing! He looked so smooth and relaxed as he flew through the air. :happy70:

YORCHI
July 29th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I thought a Superman on the bike was when you hit something and fly over the handlebars?

If so, I never wanna play that game lol

Azhyen
July 29th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I started doing this on my manual car while on a hill and it's transcended onto my bike. It's fun to do, but on occassion, after balancing for as long as I can, I'm about to put my foot down and the light goes green. Makes my take off a couple seconds later than I'd like. Still fun though!

azimmer11
July 29th, 2011, 07:42 AM
i have an urge to try this now

Liber
July 29th, 2011, 08:00 AM
doing this will inevitably lead to me dropping my bike. :(

nickjpass
July 29th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I can do it on my bicycle :)

rockNroll
July 29th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Cept for the 5 seconds and "superman" parts, wasn't this part of your motorcycle license tests?

Jinx250
July 29th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Some LEO's are known to judge whether a motorcycle has come to a complete stop as whether or not they put a a foot down. Clearly you can put a foot down without stopping, and you can stop without putting a foot down, but nevertheless it's an indicator that some use to judge whether we've come to a complete stop or not.

I think it's more common for them to watch the wheel, regardless of vehicle.

Alex
July 29th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I would hope so, but some LEO's have stated it exactly as I listed it on other motorcycle boards. It's certainly not a universal behavior.

Slono
July 29th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I thought I was the only one trying to do that since I've never seen another motorcyclist do it in all my years of being a car passenger, driver, and now a motorcycle rider. I used to do it on my bicycle a lot so it only seemed natural to do it on my motorcycle. I've never reached 5 seconds, maybe only 2. Its fun, but it looks dumb.

EsrTek
July 29th, 2011, 01:10 PM
You can do the bicycle rocking, with the motorcycle back and forth, just the same, provided there is some sort of slight incline. Using the friction point to go forward then clutch in to roll backwards. Or is this not the same thing he was saying about bicycles?

Personally I think there is a LOT more to do at a light of any kind then to try this kinda stuff. Not to sound high and mighty, but I much rather watch my mirrors and make sure that at least 3 cars are fully stopped behind me before I feel safe about not being hit from behind, then scan around me to make sure when It's green I can safely cross/turn whatever.
When your focusing on your balance point, I would bet a years pay you are not fully paying the attention needed to your surroundings.

You may be more exp then me, and be able to do both, but somehow I doubt this to be true.

nickjpass
July 29th, 2011, 01:42 PM
You can do the bicycle rocking, with the motorcycle back and forth, just the same, provided there is some sort of slight incline. Using the friction point to go forward then clutch in to roll backwards. Or is this not the same thing he was saying about bicycles?

Personally I think there is a LOT more to do at a light of any kind then to try this kinda stuff. Not to sound high and mighty, but I much rather watch my mirrors and make sure that at least 3 cars are fully stopped behind me before I feel safe about not being hit from behind, then scan around me to make sure when It's green I can safely cross/turn whatever.
When your focusing on your balance point, I would bet a years pay you are not fully paying the attention needed to your surroundings.

You may be more exp then me, and be able to do both, but somehow I doubt this to be true.
You do have a point.

highpsiguy
July 29th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Good point Nick. I don't do it all the time at every red light. I just pick and choose when I feel safe. After reading this post I bet somebody did this today *or at least tried* and said it....you know the word.... itssss........SUPERMAN!!! HA ha I'm in your head now! I don't know my average, probably way less than 30 percent success. Thats what keeps it fun, trying to get it right... again.

alex.s
July 29th, 2011, 03:13 PM
:D i tried this on my short ride to the store a few minutes ago a few times... couldn't get above about 3 and a half seconds... you got skills, superman.

CynicalC
July 29th, 2011, 04:23 PM
You do have a point.

Not the same. Like Alex mentioned, a trackstand is done on a fixed gear bike, meaning you can actually control the direction ofthe rear wheel by pushing the pedals forward or backward. Not the same as just using gravity on an incline, which you can do on any bike fixed, freewheel or coaster.

miss_syn
July 29th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I thought I was the only person that did this.

I do this all the time in rush hour because it seems at I want to put my foot down traffic goes. >.<

highpsiguy
July 29th, 2011, 07:31 PM
couldn't get above about 3 and a half seconds... you got skills, superman.

They call me "THE High psi guy." ( I pressure clean for a living 23 years now.) I just aspire to be like Superman.

Slono
July 29th, 2011, 08:54 PM

Point taken. I don't do it at EVERY light... but even still I shouldn't be doing it at all... even though its awesome,

EsrTek
July 30th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I don't do it at EVERY light... but even still I shouldn't be doing it at all...
I wouldn't got that far, to never do it...
Haven't tried it myself, but I was only really thinking of being in city traffic when at a light, as it's what I'm used to.
Admittedly, I wasn't thinking of back road areas where there may be no traffic at all, if in that environment I may even try this. Don't know if I will be saying 'Superman' though :p ;)

gfloyd2002
July 30th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Amidoinitrite?

http://australianplanking.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/230865_10150162588002434_662807433_6564521_6826902_n1.jpg

Alex
July 30th, 2011, 11:32 AM
:rotflmao:

Honko
July 30th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Amidoinitrite?

http://australianplanking.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/230865_10150162588002434_662807433_6564521_6826902_n1.jpg

Your arms should be out in front of you, not at your sides, duh.

highpsiguy
July 30th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Your arms should be out in front of you, not at your sides, duh.

Kickstand down is a disqualifier. :D

Honko
July 30th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Kickstand down is a disqualifier. :D

Fine....
eB_Rc02DMJQ

nickjpass
July 30th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Fine....
eB_Rc02DMJQ

Yay for upper body strength.

akima
July 31st, 2011, 12:56 AM
Yay for upper body strength.

I was about to claim that it's probably more about balance, but I just tried it on my floor and collapsed into mess :redface: Yep - upper body strength needed. :P

nickjpass
July 31st, 2011, 04:15 AM
I was about to claim that it's probably more about balance, but I just tried it on my floor and collapsed into mess :redface: Yep - upper body strength needed. :P

Yeah. Just do some pull-ups lol and chin-ups.

Xoulrath
August 1st, 2011, 08:18 AM
I suspect that the wind rushing beneath him has a lot to do with it, though I am sure some upper body strength is necessary.

Honko
August 1st, 2011, 10:02 AM
It has a lot more to do with core strength than upper body strength. Obviously he needs to be able to lift himself up onto the tank, but holding your body in that position is pretty much all core strength/balance.

rockNroll
August 1st, 2011, 10:25 AM
It has a lot more to do with core strength than upper body strength. Obviously he needs to be able to lift himself up onto the tank, but holding your body in that position is pretty much all core strength/balance.

pffft... I can see the wires! :D

nickjpass
August 1st, 2011, 11:04 AM
I never heard of "core" strength but yes..it's core strength. I just got smarter :)

CC Cowboy
August 1st, 2011, 11:23 AM
In gymnastics this is called a planche.

In motorcycling this is called a dipshit.

Alex
August 1st, 2011, 11:32 AM
:rotflmao: <--- seriously :thumbup:

nickjpass
August 1st, 2011, 11:33 AM
I still can't laugh..:(

Rosie
August 1st, 2011, 04:25 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one trying to do this! :p

I've never counted the seconds though.. will start now :D

kaiserz
August 1st, 2011, 04:43 PM
A friend of mine did the "other" superman thing before with a 49cc manual scooter/motorcycle 15 mph, he crashed, and he wasn't wearing any gear, he messed upped his face and got roadrash and stuff.