View Full Version : Happy Birthday

CThunder-blue
August 4th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Is there a way to show the birthdays? It'd be cool so we could wish each other a happy birthday :D

dubojr1
August 4th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I'm not sure most would like this if it disclosed their age somehow. My age is open for anyone to see but it seems most do not disclose it. I guess if Alex could figure out a way so it only shows month and day, it would be cool. I'm still waiting on the forum member map to be up and functional again too. :)

Vegedurden
August 4th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Is there a way to show the birthdays? It'd be cool so we could wish each other a happy birthday :D
Good idea :)
Or the forum birthdays (one year since registration) ?

CThunder-blue
August 4th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I'm not sure most would like this if it disclosed their age somehow. My age is open for anyone to see but it seems most do not disclose it. I guess if Alex could figure out a way so it only shows month and day, it would be cool. I'm still waiting on the forum member map to be up and functional again too. :)

I don't know anyone who cares if people can see how old they are. Most forums only shows something like

Today's Birthday: Thundercats (22), GI Joe (43), etc.

Month and Day is actually bad for privacy.

dubojr1
August 4th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I don't know anyone who cares if people can see how old they are. Most forums only shows something like

Today's Birthday: Thundercats (22), GI Joe (43), etc.

Month and Day is actually bad for privacy.

But your profile doesn't show your birth date/age either...

If the user's name is followed by a number in parentheses, then the birth month, date and year will inadvertently be disclosed.

the big mike
August 4th, 2011, 10:29 AM

yeah, that forum member map would really be interesting

CThunder-blue
August 4th, 2011, 10:38 AM
But your profile doesn't show your birth date/age either...

If the user's name is followed by a number in parentheses, then the birth month, date and year will inadvertently be disclosed.

I'm sure it's a voluntary thing. If you don't want to disclose your birthday, you could leave it to default or just make up a random date. I've been on my other car forum for 11 years now with my birthday. It's never once given me any problems.

Alex
August 4th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Hi Tri -

This forum does show birthdays at the bottom of the main Forums page. Many, many users do not fill out their birthdate, as it's not a requirement of this site. If someone filled it in, and it is their birthday, they are shown on that page. Today there are apparently no birthdays, but the next time I see one I'll log in as a non-admin user just to make sure that birthdays are viewable to all folks as well.

CThunder-blue
August 4th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Cool beans Alex. I thought that I had seen it before, but didn't see it today. I guess the birthdays section only shows up when there's a birthday?

Alex
August 4th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Right.

Linuss
August 4th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Mine is this coming Tuesday... you're more than welcome to shower me in cash monies!

dubojr1
August 4th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Mine is this coming Tuesday... you're more than welcome to shower me in cash monies!

Paypal account? :rolleyes: