View Full Version : "Add to Ignore List" hack

Alex
August 5th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Added a small plug-in this morning to make it easier to work with the Ignore list. If you put a user on your Ignore list, you will not see new threads they create, and their posts are hidden from view as well. To add someone, just click on their username above their avatar in a post, and in the pull-down menu there is now an option to add them to your ignore list directly (rather than having to go to your user control panel and type in their username manually). This is one of those features that you hope people don't have to use that often, but if they need it, it comes in quite handy.

Linuss
August 5th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Yes it does.

Thanks Alex!

Alex
August 5th, 2011, 06:11 AM
What? I can't see your post. :)

dubojr1
August 5th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Nice feature! Thanks Alex

the big mike
August 5th, 2011, 07:22 AM

tsss, someone got burned :happy130:

alex.s
August 5th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Sweeeeet.

Linuss
August 5th, 2011, 09:20 AM

Than you need to see a doctor for hallucinating because you replied to a post that did not exist :eek:

Azhyen
August 5th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Domo Alex-san!

Snake
August 5th, 2011, 11:11 AM
That is awesome Alex! The features on this site just keep getting better and better.

CZroe
August 13th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Added a small plug-in this morning to make it easier to work with the Ignore list. If you put a user on your Ignore list, you will not see new threads they create, and their posts are hidden from view as well. To add someone, just click on their username above their avatar in a post, and in the pull-down menu there is now an option to add them to your ignore list directly (rather than having to go to your user control panel and type in their username manually). This is one of those features that you hope people don't have to use that often, but if they need it, it comes in quite handy.

Lemme test it out

[clicks Alex's name]
[selects "Add Alex to Your Ignore List"]

Alex? Aaaalex? :confused:

Where'd he go?

Alex
August 13th, 2011, 11:02 PM
:)

Alex
December 29th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Minor tweak to the Ignore list functionality. If you place a user on your ignore list, they will no longer be able to respond in threads that you have started. When they try and do so, they will see an error message explaining the reason they are blocked. Generally, people aren't using the Ignore feature much on this board, and that's a good thing. But if you are having your threads mucked up by a user who you'd rather not comment in them, this will keep that from happening from this point forward.

Skippii
December 29th, 2011, 02:33 AM
So if I can respond to this thread, it means you still like me?
Posted via Mobile Device

alex.s
December 29th, 2011, 02:37 AM
no, it means you aren't on his ignore list. "friends close, enemies closer!"

FrugalNinja250
December 29th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I've got 9 names on my ignore list, of which it appears only 4 are still posting from time to time. I tell you what, this one feature has really made it a pleasant experience to hang out here. I was on another forum for almost a decade, most of which was very pleasant, but over the last few years they got overrun with political addicts who insisted on polluting every thread they could and attacked anyone who disagreed with their particular ideology. That board only had one moderator, and he didn't give a rat's butt about user's experiences on the board so never would do his job. Many users kept asking for an ignore feature, he refused their requests and often gave lame excuses as to why. (My guess is that he shared the ideology of the troublemakers). In the end it was so nasty over there that many folks just left. I got banned for repeatedly asking the moderator to do something about the problem.

Thanks for implementing this feature here, it makes all the difference in the world to me.

massacremasses
December 29th, 2011, 08:09 AM
no, it means you aren't on his ignore list. "friends close, enemies closer!"

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/6/27/keepyourfriend128590522923484369.jpg

Alex
December 29th, 2011, 01:50 PM
So if I can respond to this thread, it means you still like me?
Posted via Mobile Device

:) I can't really use the ignore feature here. But even if I could, I'd be unlikely to use it to block you, Skippi.

massacremasses
December 29th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I cant imagine anyone would want to block me. Or they would miss out on so many kitty pictures... And that would be a travesty... A TRAVESTY

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/2/22/129113714444194993.jpg

choneofakind
December 29th, 2011, 07:36 PM
a travest??

I just like kitty pictures :D