View Full Version : Turning a Red Fairing into CP Blue

adri99an
August 6th, 2011, 03:28 PM
So I finally grabbed a left fairing...."Red"...off Ebay for a deal....someone sprayed it RED....not the OG Kawi Red but another Red...

But now what? I took it to a few places to get a quote to get it sprayed...they wanted like a gajillion dollars.....then I thought about doing it myself.....then I thought about reselling it since I paid not much for it and putting that $$$ toward the new fairing fund....I'm kinda stuck.....:confused:

caps
August 6th, 2011, 03:59 PM
stylemode (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/member.php?u=7041) is looking for that exact piece.

Take it form someone who just painted their fairings (link in sig), it is not easy, nor is it cheap. Your better off selling it and saving up for the correct piece.

adri99an
August 6th, 2011, 04:15 PM
It's not Kawi red though.....

I know a guy that does air brush painting....was going to ask him to see what he'd charge....

I might just sell it.....it is in great shape!

Azhyen
August 6th, 2011, 07:36 PM
How much are you looking to sell it for? When I bought my bike from a private seller, he dropped it on the left side and the blinker cracked the fairing. I put a temp fix by putting abs glue.

adri99an
August 6th, 2011, 08:48 PM
It was fixed behind the blinker about 2 inches- done well- you can't tell looking at it from the front....

I don't know...I was in SD jst last week...I could've dropped it off....

rusninja
August 7th, 2011, 01:48 AM
spiderman bike :D

kaiserz
August 7th, 2011, 06:50 AM
frame sliders... saved my bike from that kind of fate. (Sorry I know it's random but it just popped out of my head "frame sliders" "frame sliders" "frame sliders")

azimmer11
August 11th, 2011, 07:10 AM
how much for it? i'll buy it if its for a decent price

adri99an
August 11th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I'm at 50/50 for selling it......

PM to make an other...I have the original kawasaki box it came in....I know shipping is going to be at least 40bux or more.....

alex.s
August 11th, 2011, 09:25 AM
go with a white tank and make a capt america bike.

CZroe
August 14th, 2011, 11:27 AM
For a piece that big Color Rite will likely be very expensive. You should try TheDuck's Duplicolor Anodized Blue / Rustoleum Metallic Flake match.

Palero
August 20th, 2011, 02:07 PM
For a piece that big Color Rite will likely be very expensive. You should try TheDuck's Duplicolor Anodized Blue / Rustoleum Metallic Flake match.
Anyone know about this "TheDuck's Duplicolor" method? I cannot find any reference to TheDuck and this Duplicolor painting method.

Cuongism
August 20th, 2011, 04:57 PM
get yellow rim tape for a Superman bike

adri99an
August 20th, 2011, 05:00 PM
here's my plan actually....

I know a guy that works for Disney...he does all sorts of things for them. He painted our school mural and paints boats, air craft and motorcycles! So I gotta sand that thing down to the bone and design something.....any ideas using the Candy Plasma Blue color?? He said he could pretty much paint anything on it??? Sky's the limit!

CZroe
August 20th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Anyone know about this "TheDuck's Duplicolor" method? I cannot find any reference to TheDuck and this Duplicolor painting method.
From here:
http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=MBg8Bp14u5k

What turn signals are those and where did you get them painted to match?
CZroe 5 months ago
@CZroe They are cheapo chinese-made signals, with running lights in them! Most bike dealerships have them with different brand names on them. I painted them myself, first with a silver flake Rustoleum, then with some Duplicolor.Anodized Blue, just keep slowly adding coats until the color matches, the thinner the coats the more aqua it is, the thicker the more purple it becomes. :)

He went on to say that you could match whole parts this way.

TheDuck is a CP Blue Ninjetter here who has several YouTube channels. I noticed that he color-matched his turn signals in a video of his long ago and we discussed it in the comments section. I've pointed a few people to it and I think I'm about ready to take the plunge myself. He eventually split his videos up into four different channels and now has this one under the "DuckmanCycles" channel.

I wonder if the "new" metal speck works better than silver metal flake?

Fleshbazbo
August 20th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Ebay has a complete colored plastic kit for the ninja 250 for about $500 shipping included. You buy directly from Hong Kong and cut out all the middle men. Check out the Ebay store: Autoshop168

http://stores.ebay.com/Autoshop168/Kawasaki-ZX-250R-/_i.html?_fsub=1486481014&_sid=575425544&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

:thumbup:

CZroe
August 20th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Ebay has a complete colored plastic kit for the ninja 250 for about $500 shipping included. You buy directly from Hong Kong and cut out all the middle men. Check out the Ebay store: Autoshop168

http://stores.ebay.com/Autoshop168/Kawasaki-ZX-250R-/_i.html?_fsub=1486481014&_sid=575425544&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

:thumbup:

They don't match CP Blue and they don't include a tank cover and they don't even give you any info for painting the tank to match their fairings. I'd say that they are either too lazy for my money of someone there is not thinking about the POTENTIAL of what they have and offer. For example, why aren't they undercutting Kawi by selling the cowl pieces alone? Why are they making black plastic shrouds and not a tank cover?

Fleshbazbo
August 21st, 2011, 05:43 AM
The first time I checked into it, it was a different store with just the plain OEM colored covers and flamed covers. If you do a little digging you may find a different company with different color offerings. I know there is also a Thailand store that sells similar products. These are replacement plastic kits for the whole bike but do not include the fuel tank (it is not a plastic tank cover it is a metal tank). I always figured if i needed to replace plastic, I would just order a color complementary to the tank and replace it all. If you need matching paint for your cycle order it from colorrite.com or a similar site. Unfortunately, you are still taking chances that the color match may not be perfect to your color. Hope this helps.

CZroe
August 21st, 2011, 11:25 AM
The problem is that there are multiple OEM blues, reds, greens, blacks, etc and they don't even say which it might match. I've asked many/all of them. They also show things like orange fairings with an orange tank, which is pointless if you are going to have to repaint the tank and will likely have to repaint the fairings for and exact match. Anyone willing to pay the colorrite price for a complete set of fairings would be better off buying OEM. Colorrite is expensive!

Fleshbazbo
August 21st, 2011, 05:16 PM
Sorry my post did not relieve your pain.