View Full Version : Riding school/track day

Otter
August 7th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Hi. I have taken the MSF course and have been riding for about six months-LOVE IT!

Track days look like great fun-there's just no way to do that kind of riding on the street-particularly in Louisiana-no "twisties";) Of course, at this point, I'd have no idea what I was doing, and couldn't even do those safely.

I'd love to find a track to go to, and I'd also love to find a two day track school so I could I could get some really good instruction that would help me-both on the track AND on the real world.

I've searched the web and here and found a few things, but nothing ideal. It looks like there are some interesting options, but it seems that although there are some tracks in some neighboring states, the better schools are not at these tracks, so I may have to go to "school" somewhere farther away and then find a track closer for routine track days.

Any ideas/suggestions? I live about an hour from New Orleans.

Thanks.

CC Cowboy
August 7th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Hi. I have taken the MSF course and have been riding for about six months-LOVE IT!

Track days look like great fun-there's just no way to do that kind of riding on the street-particularly in Louisiana-no "twisties";) Of course, at this point, I'd have no idea what I was doing, and couldn't even do those safely.

I'd love to find a track to go to, and I'd also love to find a two day track school so I could I could get some really good instruction that would help me-both on the track AND on the real world.

I've searched the web and here and found a few things, but nothing ideal. It looks like there are some interesting options, but it seems that although there are some tracks in some neighboring states, the better schools are not at these tracks, so I may have to go to "school" somewhere farther away and then find a track closer for routine track days.

Thanks.

Which direction?

Otter
August 7th, 2011, 11:37 AM
North (Bogalusa)

totaled
August 7th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Circuit Grand Bayou in Belle Rose LA. They do open trackdays like once a month I think. aka noproblemraceway. http://www.noproblemraceway.com/

Snake
August 7th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Carl, I had heard that there was going to be a track opening near New Orleans. Have been able to check out the track yet?
Hhhmmm...this may be a great place to have a Louisiana ninjette meet and greet/ride event.

Otter
August 7th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Not open yet, but it looks like it will be incredible when they do!!!

http://www.nolamotor.com/

Snake
August 7th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Cool Spence, thanks for the link I just book marked it. I love the count down clock.

gfloyd2002
August 7th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Lee Parks, who wrote Total Control and has one of the best track schools in the country runs schools in Lawrenceville, GA and Dallas, TX. Each a bit of a ride for you, but would be worth it.

http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/index.html

Xoulrath
August 7th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Lee Parks, who wrote Total Control and has one of the best track schools in the country runs schools in Lawrenceville, GADamn, I did not know that. That's like an hour and a half from me with bad traffic. Definitely gonna look into that. Thanks, Floyd! :thumbup:

Snake
August 7th, 2011, 05:58 PM
That would be awesome and it can be less expensive if two or more people split the cost of lodging. Anyone interested?

Misti
August 8th, 2011, 01:17 PM

Thanks.

I'm a coach with the California Superbike School and though we don't offer programs in your exact area we have a lot of options in various locations and various formats that would fit exactly what you are looking for. Google the school for more information/schedule etc and feel free to ask me any specific questions you might have about the school format/instruction etc.

Cheers and good luck!!!

Misti

Otter
August 8th, 2011, 08:03 PM
THANKS, MISTI:D

It's funny-I came across California Superbike School when I did a search-and I saved it because it looked like the most professional/classiest. I was going to ask if anyone was familiar with it-and here you are:)

I think, since I would be spending the time and money to travel there, that I may as well do a 2 day camp. Do you think that is a good idea, or is it better do do the levels on separate ocassions? Do you think I have enough experience or that there would be a camp suitable for someone like me, with little experience?
What makes CSS better than other riding schools? What are its strengths?

gfloyd2002
August 9th, 2011, 03:20 AM
California Superbike School (http://www.superbikeschool.com/) is Keith Code's school. You can check out his "Twist of the Wrist" books and videos if you are interested in more information, or just PM Misti, who is awesome. Keith Code has one of the best reputations in the business. It is very track/racing focused, and some schools do a bit more focus on street riding, but the skills no doubt still translate. To be honest, I'm also a bit intimidated by the CSS course. I've been on the track only a couple of times, and while I'm confident in my street skills, I'm just not that fast on the track. You ride on BMW1000RRs, which for me takes the experience a bit further from practical application on our Ninjettes. There are some benefits (like the BMW's traction control, and the fact that you won't be beating up your own bike), but all in all, for me, the Reg Pridmore school is slightly more appealing (unless I could guarantee getting Misti as a coach at CSS). The Pridmore school really emphasizes the skills for the purposes of the street, to the point of making your ride in your "lane" on the track, and you ride your own bike.

For your purposes, CSS runs classes out of Birmingham, Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park, only about 4 hours from you. Probably as close as you are going to find for one of the top schools. Doesn't look like the school has anything scheduled there for the rest of the year though (was there in June.)

Misti
August 9th, 2011, 01:26 PM
THANKS, MISTI:D

It's funny-I came across California Superbike School when I did a search-and I saved it because it looked like the most professional/classiest. I was going to ask if anyone was familiar with it-and here you are:)

I think, since I would be spending the time and money to travel there, that I may as well do a 2 day camp. Do you think that is a good idea, or is it better do do the levels on separate ocassions? Do you think I have enough experience or that there would be a camp suitable for someone like me, with little experience?
What makes CSS better than other riding schools? What are its strengths?

Coincidence :) I'll do my best to answer your questions and if you have more feel free to ask!

If you can do it, the two-day camps are AWESOME. You get a ton of track time, 2:1 student to coach ratio, off track training on various training bikes, video reviews and a lot of detailed and personal instruction. You also get to ride the BMW's which are amazing (and they are not too intimidating when you start them off in rain mode).

You could choose to do two-single day schools back to back if you wish where you could ride your own bike or one day at a time. Personally I think that two days in a row is a perfect amount and gives you a lot to work on in the future.

Your experience level is just fine for the school, we have riders of all abilities, speeds and experience levels and the coaches will take their time to make you feel really comfortable. All the lessons taught are street applicable and most of the students we have are regular street guys so it isn't as track/racing focussed as a lot of people believe.

Being a coach for the school for the past 8 years I'm a bit biased and I've never taken another riding school so I can't tell you how it compares. I did take the school as a student before I became a coach (all four levels) and learned a lot! It completely changed my philosophy of riding and my understanding and made me so much better. I enjoyed being a student, the format, the professionalism and the top notch coaching and was thrilled when I was accepted to become an instructor :)

I think the strengths of the school are based on the fact that it has been around for over 25 years and has been refined over those years so that it is a smooth, controlled, well run and carefully constructed course with excellent material and a tried and true format. Coaches are well trained to specific standards so no matter who you get you will experience the same kind of coaching. Also, course control is really spot on, meaning that we keep very tight control of all the riders on the track, safety is a big priority and we don't let our students get away with making mistakes or riding in ways that might endanger themselves or others. All coaches keep an eye on all students and will pull in anyone that is riding above their limit. We want to make sure everyone is safe and there are as few crashes/mishaps as possible.

Hope that helps and please ask away if you have more questions.

Happy riding!!

Misti

Otter
August 11th, 2011, 06:33 PM
:):):)

WoW, Misti, thanks for such a detailed answer:) You were very generous with your time and I appreciate it.

Just reading your response, I can tell that you really enjoy working there, that you truly believe in the quality of the program and instruction offered. I like the sound of plenty of individual instruction and track time. The bikes look awesome, and the commitment to safety and to providing a good experience to students is great too:)

Thanks again:)

I will contact you in the future, when I get closer to when I can go (3-6 mo)

Oh-are any of the locations better than the others in terms of organization, equipment/bikes, trainers, or the track itself (as in are any of the tracks better suited to instruction)? I don't at all mind travel if it makes a difference. If I need to travel yo get a better experience, I'll just make a longer vacation out of it:D

Misti
August 19th, 2011, 08:00 PM
:):):)

WoW, Misti, thanks for such a detailed answer:) You were very generous with your time and I appreciate it.

Just reading your response, I can tell that you really enjoy working there, that you truly believe in the quality of the program and instruction offered. I like the sound of plenty of individual instruction and track time. The bikes look awesome, and the commitment to safety and to providing a good experience to students is great too:)

Thanks again:)

I will contact you in the future, when I get closer to when I can go (3-6 mo)

Oh-are any of the locations better than the others in terms of organization, equipment/bikes, trainers, or the track itself (as in are any of the tracks better suited to instruction)? I don't at all mind travel if it makes a difference. If I need to travel yo get a better experience, I'll just make a longer vacation out of it:D

No prob :) You will have a lot of fun when you get a chance to go! As for specific tracks, they are all pretty well suited to instruction and off track training bikes it just might depend on where you are, where you are willing to go and what kind of track you prefer.

Let me know the ones you are thinking of and I can give you a rundown on them as I've ridden them all.

Misti

csmith12
August 20th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Misti,

I am also interested in possible travel to attend CSS. If taking the 2 day camp, will we get the chance to ride a slide bike? Or is that a higher level course 3-4?

Otter
August 21st, 2011, 04:36 PM
thanks again, Misti:)

will do;)

Misti
August 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
Misti,

I am also interested in possible travel to attend CSS. If taking the 2 day camp, will we get the chance to ride a slide bike? Or is that a higher level course 3-4?

When you take the 2 day course all of the off track training bikes are available to you but you do need to ride them in sequence, so in order for you to be able to ride the slide bike you have to have ridden the lean bike and you have to get the approval from the off track coach to get on the slide bike as it is considered more advanced. It can be hard to get on all of the off track training bikes during the two days because there is sooooo much riding to do, a lot of guys get tired :)

You will have a blast though and just be persistent with the coaches if you really want to ride the slide bike, they will do their best to accommodate you :)

Misti

csmith12
September 12th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Wow, I forgot I even asked that question. Thanks Misti

I know where I am going on vacation next year.