View Full Version : Dogs on the road? not a fan...

Suave
August 9th, 2011, 01:00 PM
So I was coming back from Foothills Parkway on 129, beside Walker School rd and a dog darted into the road from a field... Well, there were cars to my left and a ditch on my right, and I figured I'd definitely crash if I hit the dog so I tried to stop and my back tire was slidin' every which way. Well, my tire got traction when it my bike was a little sideways and I high-sided... It's not all the fun it's made out to be. Somehow my exhaust and my helmet don't have a scratch on them but it tore my sleeve on my jacket (which by the way absorbed the impact very nicely; I was able to get right up as soon as I stopped sliding). I got some rash on my knee but all-in-all I completely lucked out. My bike does have scuffs on the left side, and it busted my mirror and turn signals :/ but all that is fixable!

Alex
August 9th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Ouch! Glad you're OK. Sounds like a you did lock up your rear wheel, something that you really need to try and avoid at all costs. I'm sure the dog appreciates you not nailing him. :)

ManyCavies
August 9th, 2011, 07:16 PM
OMG I'm glad you are ok.
Love my dogs, but don't allow them to roam.
I hate passing farm dogs, I just know they will come after me.
Learned in MSF to change speed so they can't calculate your speed as well as if you are traveling at a set speed.

Suave
August 11th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Ouch! Glad you're OK. Sounds like a you did lock up your rear wheel, something that you really need to try and avoid at all costs. I'm sure the dog appreciates you not nailing him. :)

Yea, i had locked up the back wheel before and I did what they said in the msf course and held the the brake till I stopped and it worked out fine; this time, not so well. I think everything together will cost me $150 to fix if I want, not sure if Im gonna get the fairing painted or not. I know a guy who will sand and paint it for $100 but he can't guarantee that the black will match up :rolleyes: a replacement fairing is $250ish I think... I can easily live with it before I buy a replacement

JoeLansing
August 13th, 2011, 01:33 PM
On my pedal bike I carry a long METAL frame pump to whack dogs with. On my motorcycle I only have a pistol. I've hit 2 so far with the frame pump over 15 years. One was actually a knockout. Nothing yet on the Ninja thank god. If the owner won't control their dog, I will.
- Joe