View Full Version : steering inputs

alex.s
August 22nd, 2011, 03:37 PM
hi all. i've been experimenting with how i put input into the bars and i've noticed a few things and wanted to ask you guys what you think about it.
most of my 'accurate' steering is done by my right hand. i've tried leaving the steering to just my left hand (still using throttle on the right) and no matter how much i practice it it seems like my right hand is just better at the minute details... things are smoother with the right hand and if i only use my left i almost always wind up going over or under from where i'm aiming and need to correct the turn later down the road. i guess because i'm right handed. it makes sense. but when using both hands to input (push+pull) for a higher-speed turn in or flop over, it seems like i'm using both adequately... maybe i'm just not noticing my right hand is applying more pressure than my left? when using only my right hand, things are very accurate but obviously I can't provide as much steering force as with both hands so things don't go as fast.

i guess my question is how do you fellas apply pressure to the bars? i find two hands to be my best method. do you use both hands? i've heard people say only use the hand you're turning in on. do you practice this? are you right handed or left handed and does it effect your turn in on the other hand?

rockNroll
August 22nd, 2011, 06:26 PM
I don't think I've ever known anyone that uses just one hand to steer. I push left to go left, push right to go right. If I have only one hand on the bars, then I push and pull with it but that's not typical.

TheMojoRider
August 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
i guess my question is how do you fellas apply pressure to the bars? i find two hands to be my best method.

Your question in green, my answer using your words in red. The bike needs very minimal input to initiate and hold a corner. You should not make a lot (if any adjustments to the handle bar mid corner. The faster you go, the more important this becomes.

LazinCajun
August 22nd, 2011, 07:02 PM
I try to steer using Lee Park's recommendation: Only using the inside arm, with the outside arm totally relaxed. I tried it, and it worked for me.

Racer x
August 22nd, 2011, 07:03 PM
This is a bit of advanced riding. It is from Lee Parks .Total Control . After the breaking point the counter steering input IE push right while leaning to go left should be done primarily with the left hand. To go right lean steer left and that is done with the right hand.
The idea is to always use the arm that is on the inside of the turn. Of course you hold the bars with both hands .But are using one side over the other. Two wheeled vehicles weave from side to side . When you are using both hand you are fighting the natural rhythm of the machine.

"That may sound strange .But the biggest hindrance to holding a tight line is that both arms are fighting for control of the steering.The problem is easy to spot by looking at how tense the rider's arms get as they stiffen and rise away from the gas tank."

http://www.webbikeworld.com/books/total-control.htm

that is taken from Lee Parks Book . I use this and it definitely works . The lighter the bike the better it works.

LazinCajun
August 22nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
One thing though -- if you try this technique, be a little careful. It's surprising how quickly the motorcycle turns if your arms were fighting each other before.

Kevin2109
August 22nd, 2011, 08:35 PM
I honestly dont even think about it when I ride,I just know what feels right and what doesnt. It seems that I mess up more when I over think

alex.s
August 23rd, 2011, 09:38 PM
it makes sense that the inside hand is preferred if you're weighting the outside peg, you get that cross-brace effect and can torque on the bars more. just seems like you can still put more torque into them with two hands. then again maybe you don't want to be putting that much torque on the bars...

Misti
August 25th, 2011, 01:46 PM
it makes sense that the inside hand is preferred if you're weighting the outside peg, you get that cross-brace effect and can torque on the bars more. just seems like you can still put more torque into them with two hands. then again maybe you don't want to be putting that much torque on the bars...

Personally I prefer to use the inside hand to initiate the steering. Push right to go right, push left to go left but sometimes you may need to both push and pull. I usually only need this in really fast corners or series of corners when I'm racing and need that extra strength to get the thing to turn.

As Alex mentioned, if you are weighting the outside peg then you get a nice cross brace effect and can have a nice effective push. Same thing with keeping your arms bent and pushing FORWARD on the bars and not DOWN.

Once the bike is at the lean angle that you desire, what do you do? Do you need to continue with inputs into the bars or is one enough?

Misti