View Full Version : Sigh...all of 30 seconds from my house

etiainen
August 25th, 2011, 02:25 PM
So, on the way home from work, it had just stopped raining and things weren't too slick on the way back. Turning on to my street, the rear slipped a bit, but I corrected it(I was so happy at that point). Should've remained cautious because I braked too hard at the stop sign, and the bike slided to the left, then right and then fell hard on top of my ankle.

Sometimes commuting sucks:/

Anyways, gear of SIDI Vertigos kept my ankle basically fine, its a little twisted, but it could've been a lot worse. I've broken both of my ankles before and it was definitely not a fun experience!

There's a little rash on my arm where I slid and the pad sort dug into my arm a bit, but no gravel thanks to the jacket and its only about an inch, so not life threatening in the least.

Bike runs, turn signal ripped out, but didn't punch through fairings. The turn signal actually went back on without an issue and works. Right handlebar is pretty bent, so I guess I'll have to order one of those.

What makes me wanna cry is my new fairings getting scraped up. No cracks but there's white rash everywhere and large scrapes on other parts. Any chance I can get some touch up paint and maybe take care of these myself?

Pics when I feel good enough to go and look at my bike again, cause it wants to make me cry:(

My ego is hurt a bit. I know what I did wrong and I really should've been more cautious after seeing slippery conditions. Sometimes you just makes mistakes I guess. I hope I can learn from this one. I don't plan on stopping my commuting, it's just too much fun and I feel like it's become important that I keep going.:)

SES2009
August 25th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Hey bud glad your ok and I'm sure you learned from your experience. I do have a right side handle bar if your interested... PM me with your address and a fair price and I'll send it on it's way.

ninja250
August 25th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Anyways, gear of SIDI Vertigos kept my ankle basically fine, its a little twisted, but it could've been a lot worse. I've broken both of my ankles before and it was definitely not a fun experience!
Sidis have protected my ankles twice from being broken.
Very high quality.. highly recommend.

etiainen
August 25th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah definitely recommended. I would be in the hospital right now if it wasnt for them!

Snake
August 25th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident. They say that most accidents happen within a mile from our destination because at that point we start to relax and are less cautious.

etiainen
August 25th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Yep, that's exactly what happned! I had a warning from my previous turn and I ingored it because I was so close to my house. It really sucks because this one was 100% preventable if I had listened to the part of me that said you need to be cautious!

AznJoJo
August 25th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Glad you're ok. Careful everyone and stay safe :)

oroboros
August 25th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Hey, get yourself a big ass tube or breaker bar and and push your handle bar back into shape. Since you have already got your turn signals back together ( cool break away feature) consider the rash a badge and move on. Glad your ok and had your gear on.
Posted via Mobile Device

etiainen
August 27th, 2011, 06:25 PM
So, it seems that while riding if I let go of my handlebars the bike steers to the left instead of straight on its own...:(

Alex
August 27th, 2011, 06:35 PM
May have tweaked the forks a bit. It is unlikely it affected the rear wheel alignment.

ninja250
August 28th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Usually if the handlebar is bent bad you bent your headtube (frame)
Sorry to hear it. Mine is bent also. $700 new from Japan plus 1 month wait period for drop shipment..
I just bought another bike instead.

etiainen
August 28th, 2011, 08:06 AM
So wait, is there an easy fix to this or not?

I thought the fork could be aligned without too much effort?

EDIT: This wasn't too high speed of a crash. The handlebar is bent, but it's still functional, more bothersome than anything.

Alex
August 28th, 2011, 09:14 AM
It depends what is broken. If the forks are just misaligned, then yes, the fix is minor.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49448
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_need_to_realign_my_forks_and_front_wheel

If ninja250's suggestion is correct and the frame itself is bent, there is no easy or cheap fix.

AeroXtasy
August 28th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Glad to hear that you're alright!

etiainen
August 29th, 2011, 05:14 AM
It depends what is broken. If the forks are just misaligned, then yes, the fix is minor.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49448
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_need_to_realign_my_forks_and_front_wheel

If ninja250's suggestion is correct and the frame itself is bent, there is no easy or cheap fix.

I felt the tubes today and I didn't notice any creases or bends.

U5er
August 29th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Pull off the forks and check the chrome tubes. It can either have a sharp bend visible and palpable. But sometimes the bend is longer and is only visible when the entire assembly is in view. This happened to me. If the chrome bar is damaged, it will have to be replaced. It costs about ~$100 I think.

For the fairings, you will have to remove all decals and sand it down completey. Then paint over it. I had a pro do mine which cost me a bit less than a new fairing. I'm not one to drive a half beaten up bike and call it a badge or rash or whatever. I know your pain dude. But by the time you fix everything up (and you will), you will look back and actually feel happy that you fell. Most bikers don't have that kind of luck and resort to write offs.

etiainen
August 29th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Ok, I'll give that idea of taking out the tube a go then. Right now I don't see/feel any damage to it. Is it ok with me riding around right now even though something could be misaligned/bent? My bike's really my everyday commuter so it's difficult to stop riding. I haven't noticed any major handling issues these past few days.

U5er
August 30th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Ok, I'll give that idea of taking out the tube a go then. Right now I don't see/feel any damage to it. Is it ok with me riding around right now even though something could be misaligned/bent? My bike's really my everyday commuter so it's difficult to stop riding. I haven't noticed any major handling issues these past few days.

I'm not a gearhead, but sometimes a slightly bent fork can only be felt at higher speeds. It will invoke a wobble which is nobody's friend.

etiainen
September 10th, 2011, 06:30 PM
So I attempted a fork realignment today, and from what I can see the bike tracks straight now! :D thanks for the help everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device

highpsiguy
September 10th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I feel bad for your accident. I have heard most accidents happen within a mile of your home; thats why I moved :D !

akima
September 11th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I feel bad for your accident. I have heard most accidents happen within a mile of your home; thats why I moved :D !

LMAO! Genius :p