View Full Version : Going the speed limit

KawiKid860
August 26th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Is it common for motorcyclists to go over the speed limit? I know most cars around here do at least 5 over (and the occasional one that does 5 under..) For me, being a new rider, its so easy to go over the speed limit probably because of the extra freedom and the power my bike has that a car doesn't. I'm just wondering if this is a normal thing for motorcyclists to do? It seems like most go quite a bit over the limit, but a bike won't stop any quicker than a car. However we do have agility on our side + an alert rider will react faster than a less than alert driver. Does the added alertness and agility justify speeding, or would you rather just stay the limit?

kaiserz
August 27th, 2011, 12:01 AM
speeding is "speeding".

Mountain Dew
August 27th, 2011, 01:01 AM
M13 said that according to some study, the safest speed for a bike to be traveling is slightly faster than the flow of traffic. Seems reasonable to me (although I can't find anything about it). If you're 'moving' in someone's view, you're more visible.

If that means going 10 over for me, I'll do it. I've never been bothered and I generally ride 10-15 over (speed limit here is 55 on the highway in most places, so 70 in a 55 isn't that unreasonable), even in front of cops with radar guns. To me it seems like if you're being safe, going a bit over is perfectly acceptable. But if course this is in clear traffic. If it starts getting close to rush hour, you better believe I'm slowing down.

MotoED
August 27th, 2011, 02:04 AM
With the way cops are here in SoCal, I try to stay within the speed limit. But I do tend to go over it sometimes ;)

Vegedurden
August 27th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I've never been bothered and I generally ride 10-15 over

I tend to do the same, but when you have cars going really fast in twisties, you're better off backing a bit.

Remember a car brakes better and can take corners faster than a bike...

ally99
August 27th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I rarely drive the limit whether on my bike or in a cage. I like to get places quickly, and speed limits are always set granny low in most places. I tend to ride 15ish over.

rockNroll
August 27th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Slightly faster than "traffic" on the highway/freeway.
Within 5mph or so in the city.
Whatever speed feels good in the mountains/boonies.

caps
August 27th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Whatever speed feels good in the mountains/boonies.
^
This

almost40
August 27th, 2011, 07:59 AM

+1

bdavison
August 27th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Remember a car brakes better and can take corners faster than a bike...

Um...no they cant.

Alex
August 27th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Um...no they cant.

They absolutely can. The performance advantages of a typical bike compared to a typical car are down to an insane power-to-weight ratio that allows for tremendous acceleration. But in braking, most performance cars will stop faster than most performance bikes. In corners 4 contact patches + the aero help at speed will always provide additional cornering capability to a car.

Doesn't mean a nimble bike can't walk away from a car in most any situation on the street.

CC Cowboy
August 27th, 2011, 08:38 AM
As a responsible member of the motorcycle community I feel that setting an example to motorists, that all bikers (motorcyclists) aren't wild and crazy squids, so I ride the speed limit or a little under the limit. If everyone would do the same there would be less accidents, less petrol wasted, less road rage, and people would be generally more happy.

Kevin2109
August 27th, 2011, 08:59 AM
With the way cops are here in SoCal, I try to stay within the speed limit. But I do tend to go over it sometimes ;)

lol I guess the cops around me a chill. Or I just dont get caught :o

I'm normally 5-20 above the speed limit, depending on conditions of course. Freeway I'm 80-90ish, again depending on conditions

KawiKid860
August 27th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Riding a bit faster for visibility makes sense, and I definitely pay more attention when I'm going over because I'm looking for cops, cars pulling out, etc. Wouldn't it take a relatively sporty car to keep up with a bike in the twisties? I mean your average sedan isn't going to handle that well, something like a 350/370z or even one of the new mustangs. I read that cars may be better handling than bikes but bikes are a way better bang for the buck because a $15k bike can hang with a $60k+ car

theredsox
August 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Off topic, but for KawiKid, to compare my Subaru Wrx ('04) and the ninja ('11)

- $24,495 vs $3999
- 0-60 is 5.2-6s for both
- 60-0 in ~107 ft vs ~121.5 ft
- Cornering is hard to provide numbers, but in real world conditions with roads that aren't always clean, pretty sure the subby would be faster 9 of 10 times. All wheel drive is a force to recon with.

On topic, I've always felt safer going just slightly faster than the traffic average, bike or car doesn't matter. In reality though I don't think that is true. Going faster than traffic does mean a harder time keeping safe distances from cars in front of you that you are catching up to. It does reduce time in blind spots though and reduces the chance of being tailgated. Personally, I'd say go with speed of traffic, but increase speeds to move through drivers blind spots. To me, the speed limit has nothing to do with it. It's all about traffic flow...even with cops around because usually they'll slow down traffic flow anyway.

Mountain Dew
August 27th, 2011, 01:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Man0X0bf8vk

This video demonstrates the difference between a bike and a car. Keep in mind the car is a GTR and not some DD sedan.

alex.s
August 27th, 2011, 02:58 PM
what is this "speed limit" you speak of?

ally99
August 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM
^^You live on the Autobahn? :lol:

gfloyd2002
August 27th, 2011, 06:08 PM
They absolutely can. The performance advantages of a typical bike compared to a typical car are down to an insane power-to-weight ratio that allows for tremendous acceleration. But in braking, most performance cars will stop faster than most performance bikes. In corners 4 contact patches + the aero help at speed will always provide additional cornering capability to a car.

Doesn't mean a nimble bike can't walk away from a car in most any situation on the street.

Agree with Alex here. Cars stop faster. Most bikes and cars have brakes that are capable of lock up on the wheels, so the real limiter is the tires and the tire surfaces. Cars have more of them. It seems like a heavier thing would be harder to stop or corner, but it generally isn't the case.

While counter-intuitive that a heavy thing will brake quicker, cars still have (for the most part) sufficient braking power to lock up their wheels. Heavier weight just means you need more powerful brakes to achieve the same stopping power, and most cars have this in spades. This is because heavier weight offers increased friction that balances out the increased momentum that comes from the weight. (F = mu*N where F = frictional force (braking force between the tires and the road), mu = friction co-efficient (changes based on road/tire condition), N = normal force (force acting directly downwards with gravity i.e., the mass of the bike and rider).

So, more weight means more momentum, but it is cancelled out by the extra friction from the weight. You add even MORE friction with the two extra extra contact patches, and that is enough for a four wheeler to outperform a two wheeler in the cornering/braking department. We can still get them on speed and acceleration, though.

gfloyd2002
August 27th, 2011, 06:20 PM
On topic of post, there is a line of reasoning, supported by accident studies, that riding slightly faster than the speed of traffic is most safe.

The reasoning is twofold. First, it may increase the visibility of the motorcycle to the traffic by distinguishing it and providing a comparison movement/differential in speed that makes the motorcycle easy to perceive rather than blend into the background. The second reason is that riding slightly faster than traffic reduces motorcyclist's radius of attention to 180* from 360* and he no longer has to pay as much attention to what is going on behind or beside him. Compare that to the motorcyclist going slower than (or the same speed as) the traffic around him - now he has to pay attention to the overtaking (or adjacent) drivers who now present the risks of their running over the motorcyclist or making unsafe and unpredictable lane changes to pass the motorcyclist.

That said, doing so in the wrong conditions increases other risks, most notably of overdriving one's stopping distance. You should only ride at a speed at which you can safely stop before a potential hazard. If going slightly faster than traffic means you can't stop in time for that pothole around a blind corner, or someone pulling out from a side road, etc. it is NOT the safer option, and you should instead ride at the speed allowing for a safe stop.

greatwhiteninja
August 27th, 2011, 07:56 PM
i do 80 on the hwy, and thats usually flowing with traffic.. other roads it all depends but usually im about 10 over.

KawiKid860
August 27th, 2011, 08:24 PM
gloyd2002 those were 2 VERY informative posts lol but I got a little lost on the first one :P but I understand the reasoning. So from now on I shall ride slightly faster than traffic to increase others awareness of me (I won't rely on this of course) when someone is making a left turn and there's a chance they might pull out in front of me I usually get ready to swerve if I have to and I increase my speed through the intersection to get out of possible harms way faster, is this a good idea? Or would it be smarter to keep the same speed and be ready to brake rather than speed up? To me it seems like speeding up and getting out of harms way faster is better and if someone turns in front of me I'm most likely going to have to swerve to avoid them, which I'll have less time to do if I'm going faster.

Numbersix
August 27th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I ride to where the cars aren't. That may be faster or slower than they are -- whatever provides separation.

Boom King
August 27th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Around here, unless it's a residential neighbourhood street, if you're not doing at least 10 -15 km/h over, you're holding up traffic. At a light, I'll rev that Ninja hard all the way up to the limit and then more to separate myself from the group of traffic and give myself plenty of room 360 degrees. Then I will cruise at whichever speed feels comfortable to me and appropriate for the street. Of course, sometimes this also invites an idiot cager to think that you want to play cat and mouse.

KawiKid860
August 27th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Around here, unless it's a residential neighbourhood street, if you're not doing at least 10 -15 km/h over, you're holding up traffic. At a light, I'll rev that Ninja hard all the way up to the limit and then more to separate myself from the group of traffic and give myself plenty of room 360 degrees. Then I will cruise at whichever speed feels comfortable to me and appropriate for the street. Of course, sometimes this also invites an idiot cager to think that you want to play cat and mouse.

I do this too, yesterday some guy in a brand new lifted dodge ram took off to at least 70 mph in a 40 around a curve taking up both lanes trying to get me to race him but I decided it wasn't worth losing my license, a limb or my life to prove to some jerk his truck wasn't faster than my bike haha....

ally99
August 28th, 2011, 04:00 AM
when someone is making a left turn and there's a chance they might pull out in front of me I usually get ready to swerve if I have to and I increase my speed through the intersection to get out of possible harms way faster, is this a good idea? Or would it be smarter to keep the same speed and be ready to brake rather than speed up? To me it seems like speeding up and getting out of harms way faster is better and if someone turns in front of me I'm most likely going to have to swerve to avoid them, which I'll have less time to do if I'm going faster.

Braking is nearly always preferred over swerving to avoid a collision. As I approach an intersection like you mentioned, I'm already scrubbing off a bit of speed and heating my brakes up in case they are needed. You can always brake and then swerve if you need to do them both, just don't do them both at the same time. It hurts nothing to be on the brakes and slow down when approaching an intersection with other vehicles ahead.

KawiKid860
August 28th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Braking is nearly always preferred over swerving to avoid a collision. As I approach an intersection like you mentioned, I'm already scrubbing off a bit of speed and heating my brakes up in case they are needed. You can always brake and then swerve if you need to do them both, just don't do them both at the same time. It hurts nothing to be on the brakes and slow down when approaching an intersection with other vehicles ahead.

The thing is if I slow down I feel like I'm giving the car more chance to not see me, or miscalculate distance and turn right in front of me

algerath
August 29th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Agree with Alex here. Cars stop faster. Most bikes and cars have brakes that are capable of lock up on the wheels, so the real limiter is the tires and the tire surfaces. Cars have more of them. It seems like a heavier thing would be harder to stop or corner, but it generally isn't the case.

While counter-intuitive that a heavy thing will brake quicker, cars still have (for the most part) sufficient braking power to lock up their wheels. Heavier weight just means you need more powerful brakes to achieve the same stopping power, and most cars have this in spades. This is because heavier weight offers increased friction that balances out the increased momentum that comes from the weight. (F = mu*N where F = frictional force (braking force between the tires and the road), mu = friction co-efficient (changes based on road/tire condition), N = normal force (force acting directly downwards with gravity i.e., the mass of the bike and rider).

So, more weight means more momentum, but it is cancelled out by the extra friction from the weight. You add even MORE friction with the two extra extra contact patches, and that is enough for a four wheeler to outperform a two wheeler in the cornering/braking department. We can still get them on speed and acceleration, though.

This doesn't seem to account for the fact that most performance bikes tend to have softer, grippy tires compared to a car. Wouldn't that factor in too? Most average people would never consider tires for the grocery getter that would be worn out in 5000 miles, some of the supersport tires don't last even that. Most common car tires advertise like 40 or 60k miles tread life.

A skilled rider, at least in theory, has the ability to control the front/rear braking ratio to suit the braking conditions, ex. Braking downhill using even more front brake than normal, allowing one to use both the tires to the limit possibly better than the standard ratio in a car.

I mean a race bike using super sticky race tires can brake later and carry more corner speed than if they raced on cruiser tires, or else they would all be racing on cruiser tires right?

rockNroll
August 29th, 2011, 06:42 AM
This doesn't seem to account for the fact that most performance bikes tend to have softer, grippy tires compared to a car. Wouldn't that factor in too? Most average people would never consider tires for the grocery getter that would be worn out in 5000 miles, some of the supersport tires don't last even that. Most common car tires advertise like 40 or 60k miles tread life.

A skilled rider, at least in theory, has the ability to control the front/rear braking ratio to suit the braking conditions, ex. Braking downhill using even more front brake than normal, allowing one to use both the tires to the limit possibly better than the standard ratio in a car.

I mean a race bike using super sticky race tires can brake later and carry more corner speed than if they raced on cruiser tires, or else they would all be racing on cruiser tires right?

One thing to note on the car vs bike thing is that most people's cars could only out brake your bike for just a few corners before they get have brake fade and the driver has an oh sh!t moment.

Alex
August 29th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Any advantage in stickiness on the motorcycle tires is greatly outweighed by the much larger contact patch on the car tires, along with the fact that for years now, any driver can stomp on the pedal to bring all 4 wheels right up to lockup, without worrying about upsetting the car's attitude on the road. A rider doesn't have it that easy, even with ABS on board.

One thing to note on the car vs bike thing is that most people's cars could only out brake your bike for just a few corners before they get have brake fade and the driver has an oh sh!t moment.

True - the ability to shed heat after multiple stops is likely better on the average performance bike vs. the average performance car. :thumbup:

algerath
August 29th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Alex is probably right on the contact patch and abs. It is counterintuitive though, it FEELS like I can brake much faster on the ninja than in my car. I would love to see some mythbusters style tests on cornering and braking car vs bike!!!

Boom King
August 29th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Even your average car nowadays comes with so much tech. ABS, traction control, stability control, brake assist, electronic brake force distribution, etc. Even with the bike's ability to shed heat of the brakes faster, I'd still take a high performance car's cornering ability on a road course. In some cases though, the end results are probably so close and might boil down more to the skill of the respective operators.

http://www.flixxy.com/car-vs-motorcycle.htm

Vegedurden
August 29th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Alex is probably right on the contact patch and abs. It is counterintuitive though, it FEELS like I can brake much faster on the ninja than in my car. I would love to see some mythbusters style tests on cornering and braking car vs bike!!!

It is definitely counterintuitive, especially to us. On the Mythbusters thing: I have seen a few videos pitching superbikes against sport cars, bikes systematically destroy the cars in straights, thanks to power to weight ratio, but inevitably cars retake the advantage in the corners. Search youtube or some other video site, you're bound to find a few examples.

The important part, though is that I'd never trade the feeling of taking corners on a bike for a few additional mph.

algerath
August 29th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Ok so I was still a little skeptical about the whole braking thing, so I looked up some numbers. I thought I would maybe expect a high performance car to out brake me on the ninja but what about a common commuter, like my car a 03 cavalier, surely I could out brake my car. Well short story, nope.

2011 ninja 250 143 ft from Motorcyle usa
2003 cavalier 132 ft From motor trend

So I thought what about high performance bike and car

2011 mustang gt with brembo pkg 105 ft also motor trend
2010 Yamaha R1 132 ft motorcycle USA

So long story short, in any apples to apples comparison the car wins, it takes a high performance bike to get into the ballpark of my commuter car!

So I am convinced, Alex and Floyd you are correct, but if all 4 can brake hard enough to lock the wheels where does the variation in distance come from? Is it ALL in the tires and the friction they can generate? Is the variation just because high performance bikes and cars come with sticky tires. If I could put the mustang tires on my cavalier could I stop in 105 ft? Same question r1 tires on my ninja would I stop in 132 ft?

Alex
August 29th, 2011, 04:06 PM
While all of the systems have enough capability to lock the tires, those with more excess capability, better components allowing better feel and modulation, and those with stickier tires will all be able to perform a bit better.

Putting uber-sticky tires on the ninjette would likely shave a few feet off the emergency stop distance in dry conditions. Probably not more than a handful at most, but perhaps a little. With better braking components (steel lines, larger disk, a second disk up front), a rider is more likely to be able to keep the tire right at the edge of lockup, which minimizes the stopping distance.

KawiKid860
August 29th, 2011, 06:49 PM
2010 Yamaha R1 132 ft motorcycle USA

That much distance for an R1??? and 143 feet for a ninjette still sounds way off, thats like Harley status! My 500 has a braking distance of 115 feet and it only weighs 14 lbs less than an R1 but it only has a dual piston brakes and a single disc up front not to mention smaller, less grippy tires...

Xoulrath
August 29th, 2011, 07:05 PM
If I could put the mustang tires on my cavalier could I stop in 105 ft? Same question r1 tires on my ninja would I stop in 132 ft?I don't know about the 105 ft, as Alex pointed out, it is a combination of better parts that include stickier tires to get those lower numbers. And again, as Alex already pointed out, the same goes for the Ninjette.

Braking is the single largest performance advantage cars have over bikes. It's like when I take a right hand 90 degree I have to take to go to my house on the way home from work and school from a 60 mph speed. In my GTI, I don't even start braking until I'm about 80 or so feet from the turn, maybe closer, and I brake all the way into the start of the turn and don't release the pedal until after I have gone half way through the motion, though I have eased up on the pressure.

That same turn on my bike sees me stopping about 40 feet further back, and not braking as deep into the turn.

And the other advantage cars (mostly performance cars) have over bikes is corners where high grip is advantageous.

LazinCajun
August 29th, 2011, 08:50 PM
The thing is if I slow down I feel like I'm giving the car more chance to not see me, or miscalculate distance and turn right in front of me

Slowing down slightly before an intersection is the safest thing to do for three big reasons:

1) If you slow down a little as you're coming into an intersection, you actually can reduce your stopping distance dramatically. If you do the physics the distance it takes to stop is like a parabola: it's some number times speed squared. Since that curve gets steeper as the speed is bigger, slowing from 50-0 takes a significantly longer distance than 40-0. Even though the speed is only 25% greater, the stopping distance is 56% greater, all other things being equal (!!!).

2) If you do actually get in an accident, you're less likely to be hurt at the slower speed. Duh.

3) If you're going a little slower, you have more time to react AND more traction available if you decide that swerving is the right answer (for many bad situations, emergency braking is the better answer, as mentioned earlier).

blink
August 29th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I only go speed limit in

1.playground zones
2.school zones
3. if theres a cop

=]

blink
August 29th, 2011, 08:53 PM
also completely irrelevant I hate when people do 30 in school zones outside of the posted time!

Vegedurden
August 30th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Braking is the single largest performance advantage cars have over bikes.
Close, but that's not the whole picture. Given the larger contact surface a car has to the road (4 wide rectangles) compared to a bike's (two small ovals), a car can put more force on its tires before they lose grip. That helps with braking (force towards the front), but also with pure corner speed (force directed sideways).

Cheers,
Vegedurden

Xoulrath
August 30th, 2011, 06:55 PM
But it is the whole picture. Why it happens doesn't really matter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a "yeah, but HOW does it work?" kinda guy. For simplicity, it is much easier to simply state what I stated. And cars aren't faster than bikes on all corners. It depends on the corner. Fast sweepers are a good example of a type of corner a bike can leave a car on. Minimal lean angle allows higher speed, and the bike's acceleration advantage can be used.

There are plenty of great comparisons by reputable sources on the web. Bikes win some, cars win some. In the end, F1 is faster than MotoGP.

Sorry to go off-topic (again).

algerath
August 30th, 2011, 07:32 PM
But it is the whole picture. Why it happens doesn't really matter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a "yeah, but HOW does it work?" kinda guy. For simplicity, it is much easier to simply state what I stated. And cars aren't faster than bikes on all corners. It depends on the corner. Fast sweepers are a good example of a type of corner a bike can leave a car on. Minimal lean angle allows higher speed, and the bike's acceleration advantage can be used.

There are plenty of great comparisons by reputable sources on the web. Bikes win some, cars win some. In the end, F1 is faster than MotoGP.

Sorry to go off-topic (again).

But the "why" is the fun part of the discussion, I learned some new stuff going back and forth on the why part.

As far as F1 faster than motogp, they of course have 4 big sticky race tires, AND they have huge amount of aero downforce, which if I understand it correctly, provides added grip as if the car were a lot heavier without the additional inertia it would have if it really were heavier. So you get the grip benefits without the weight drawbacks.

I vaguely remember an interview with an IRL driver at the Indy 500 a year or two back, they were saying there was a gap of speeds in which you couldn't go around the corners, below speed x and you made it on tire grip, above sped y and there was enough downforce to go around flat out, but if you didn't make it to speed y before the corner you basically had to slow to speed x. I'll try to find it.

Boom King
August 30th, 2011, 09:32 PM
^^^^ Yup. Without downforce, those F1 cars would be slipping and sliding out all over the corners at the type of speeds we see today even if they had the stickiest rubber tires and strongest brakes you could ever make. An F1 car is able to develop roughly 3.5 Gs lateral cornering force. That's enough force to make the car drive upside down... theoretically speaking. Downforce only produces a significant effect at a certain velocity. On an F1 car, I believe it produces a downforce equal to its weight at around 140 km/h.

Vegedurden
August 31st, 2011, 12:33 PM
But it is the whole picture.
No, because it means that the car can brake later (better brakes) and cary more speed through the corner (better grip in the corner, so needs to brake less). Double effect.

Definitely off-topic, definitely fun and interesting to discuss, imo ;)

Alex: hadn't thought about the aero effect, good point, exactly how you described it.

Cheers !
Vegedurden

demp
September 1st, 2011, 05:55 AM
what is this "speed limit" you speak of?

when your speed exceeds your grip:D

kawigirl
September 1st, 2011, 06:30 AM
I don't mean to ride in 6th gear all the time..it just happens somehow..speeding is an incurable disease with me.. Oops.

gfloyd2002
September 2nd, 2011, 09:13 PM
Slowing down slightly before an intersection is the safest thing to do for three big reasons:

1) If you slow down a little as you're coming into an intersection, you actually can reduce your stopping distance dramatically. If you do the physics the distance it takes to stop is like a parabola: it's some number times speed squared. Since that curve gets steeper as the speed is bigger, slowing from 50-0 takes a significantly longer distance than 40-0. Even though the speed is only 25% greater, the stopping distance is 56% greater, all other things being equal (!!!).

2) If you do actually get in an accident, you're less likely to be hurt at the slower speed. Duh.

3) If you're going a little slower, you have more time to react AND more traction available if you decide that swerving is the right answer (for many bad situations, emergency braking is the better answer, as mentioned earlier).

:thumbup:

OGjackafidy
September 3rd, 2011, 06:39 AM
i usually go from 5 -20 over whatever feels comfortable to cruise at but i definatley slow down to 30 35 at most intersections cause people just dont see bikes coming half the time. a few weeks ago i was at a stoplight and and old latley ran into me with her minivan because "she didnt see me" bike was all good cause she just hit the tire but i though i had just dropped the clutch only to look down and it was in nuetral and there was a hood of a van under my passengers seat

CC Cowboy
September 3rd, 2011, 09:16 AM
Remember, the speed limit is the maximum speed for ideal conditions as set by the government. The government is never wrong and riding over the limit is dangerous and could result in life threatening situations.

Alex
September 3rd, 2011, 09:22 AM
:)

subiegy2010
September 6th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Off topic, but for KawiKid, to compare my Subaru Wrx ('04) and the ninja ('11)

- $24,495 vs $3999
- 0-60 is 5.2-6s for both
- 60-0 in ~107 ft vs ~121.5 ft
- Cornering is hard to provide numbers, but in real world conditions with roads that aren't always clean, pretty sure the subby would be faster 9 of 10 times. All wheel drive is a force to recon with.

Under-steer is a force to recon with. :p But yeah, I agree with everything you said. (fellow WRX owner) :D

Suave
September 7th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I only go speed limit in

1.playground zones
2.school zones
3. if theres a cop

=]

+1, don't speed in a stupid place to speed. But for the most part, i view "speed limits" as "speed suggestions".

minus rule #3, cops here are told to not chase sports bikes because it can lead to an unsafe pursuit. So as long as their is no chance they have my license plate... imma keep on a goin'

thisisbenji
September 7th, 2011, 03:47 PM
In some areas you need to go the school speed all the time. I mean there could very easily be some sort of after school activity going on outside of school hours. That's what the police officer giving me safety class after one of my speeding tickets told me anyways. (Speeding in a construction zone ugh...) I was going about 64 in a 65 and I didn't slow down fast enough going into the construction zone and they got me for 19 over. (Said construction zone was really just some flashing things on the side of the road they set up the day before).

also completely irrelevant I hate when people do 30 in school zones outside of the posted time!

GeorgiaHooligan
September 7th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I dont pay attention to the speedometer.

KawiKid860
September 11th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Well after all this great information on this thread I've got about 730ish miles on the bike and I have a speed cycle set out, i usually do 40-45 in a 35 depending on traffic and how I'm feeling but I'll do bursts of 50-60 if need be to get around idiots or something. Today there was a cop going down the same street I was and he had a pack of 4 cars + me behind him (4 lane road, 2 going each direction) because no one wanted to go around him lol.. but my speedo was reading about 38-39 in a 35 and like 47 in a 40 so I hope it isn't off THAT bad the cop was probably speeding... Then there's always the idiot that does like 10 under when they see a cop.. I've been getting plenty of city riding for practice, I try and get some seat time every day, Still makin nooby mistakes of course but I'm learning :D I really need to replace my bent clutch lever it makes clutch control a PITA sometimes :P

Lil_Green_Demon
September 14th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I live in SoCal. For the most part, even cars in the slow lane are doing 75+ mph.
I tend to remain at or slightly above speed limit on the streets. On the highway? The fastest I've gone was 90, but that was just to keep up with some other riders who were pulling away rather quickly because my 75 mph limit was too slow for them. (I'm looking at you, HB! :lol: )
Usually I stick to ~70-80 mph on the highway.

Kevin2109
September 14th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Lol :p my speed limit is usually gauged off of conditions around me. If there are a lot of people on the freeway ill go just a tad faster then the speed limit. If its an open freeway you can bet your ass I'm cruising at 100-120mph no prob (depending on what bike I'm on lol)

In the streets I'm usually about 10-20mph above the speed limit, again all depending on conditions
Posted via Mobile Device

ninja250
September 15th, 2011, 03:39 AM
I do 70mph on the freeway when it's 65. 75 in the carpool lane. 72mph when speed is 70.
These seem to be magic numbers around which cops either
A) don't notice motorcycles or
B) don't give a damn.

I've had my share of "play tickets". Plenty of points. Have to keep my stuff straight for a while. Trying to repair a damaged record.

It's only when the jerks all over SoCal try to run me out of my lane that I need to go any faster or the freeway is dead empty, then I may cut loose a bit too.

I like taking my time on my rides, I don't like to speed up the time I am on my bike. (unless freezing my buns off on the way to work etc)
I look cooler for longer going slower too I think lol.

I try and limit my lane splitting to 38mph. that one speaks for itself.
I know people who don't lane split and I don't blame them at all.

blink
September 15th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Speeding works if you are smart...

Playground and school zones; NEVER, not even 1 over... they WILL get you and ticket you.
Construction zones, If you are going 1-3 over usually you'll be fine, but what's the point? Better be safe than sorry.
50km/h zones, I tend to not speed because cops will usually hang out on those types of roads.

80km/h ...usually end up doing 120 because I have an eye for cops and not just a dumb ass flying through traffic, cops do not set up radars on inter city highways (not where I live) partly because there is nowhere to setup. Only way people get pulled over is because they don't see the cops around them and they are stupid or don't see the photo radar van...which is sad and if you can't see them you shouldn't even consider speeding because it shows you can't be attentive to getting a ticket let alone speeding and safety (don't argue my point please for the sake of the thread)

On the 100/110/km/h bikes will take it over 150 and I hit 225 the other day...thing is on that freeway during late evening hours there is hardly any cars on parts of the road.
Cops will not pull bikers over for doing 130-140 because there is no point unless it's dangerous lane splitting.

Now don't think our cops don't care. They just can't do anything if you're flying down at over 200km/h.

So it all comes to show that speeding is possible to do safely and in a smart way without getting tickets. Also most people think if you are smart and safe you can always speed...no.
People who always speed, don't know how to speed. :thumbup:

blink
September 15th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Remember, the speed limit is the maximum speed for ideal conditions as set by the government. The government is never wrong and riding over the limit is dangerous and could result in life threatening situations.

This is not correct.

Half the time the speed limit is completely irrelevant to road conditions even under no traffic.

They have 40 zones when they should be 70 or 80.

Now MAYBE I can't speak for your city, but I can for mine because I know the roads.

rockNroll
September 15th, 2011, 10:25 AM
This is not correct.

Half the time the speed limit is completely irrelevant to road conditions even under no traffic.

They have 40 zones when they should be 70 or 80.

Now MAYBE I can't speak for your city, but I can for mine because I know the roads.

lordy

blink
September 15th, 2011, 12:35 PM
lordy

double lordy:thumbup:

Alex
September 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Someone doesn't realize they are being trolled.....

rusninja
September 15th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Speeding works if you are smart...

Playground and school zones; NEVER, not even 1 over... they WILL get you and ticket you.
Construction zones, If you are going 1-3 over usually you'll be fine, but what's the point? Better be safe than sorry.
50km/h zones, I tend to not speed because cops will usually hang out on those types of roads.

80km/h ...usually end up doing 120 because I have an eye for cops and not just a dumb ass flying through traffic, cops do not set up radars on inter city highways (not where I live) partly because there is nowhere to setup. Only way people get pulled over is because they don't see the cops around them and they are stupid or don't see the photo radar van...which is sad and if you can't see them you shouldn't even consider speeding because it shows you can't be attentive to getting a ticket let alone speeding and safety (don't argue my point please for the sake of the thread)

On the 100/110/km/h bikes will take it over 150 and I hit 225 the other day...thing is on that freeway during late evening hours there is hardly any cars on parts of the road.
Cops will not pull bikers over for doing 130-140 because there is no point unless it's dangerous lane splitting.

Now don't think our cops don't care. They just can't do anything if you're flying down at over 200km/h.

So it all comes to show that speeding is possible to do safely and in a smart way without getting tickets. Also most people think if you are smart and safe you can always speed...no.
People who always speed, don't know how to speed. :thumbup:

Speeding is never smart because there is always more risk and being smart is ditching the unnecessary risk.

Sinister
September 15th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Speeding is never smart because there is always more risk and being smart is ditching the unnecessary risk.

By that rationale you shouldn't be on a bike in the first place. You should be in a nice safe car.

rusninja
September 16th, 2011, 12:40 AM
By that rationale you shouldn't be on a bike in the first place. You should be in a nice safe car.

Na ill stick to what i want but im not going to be a total dumb... about it, riding/driving is a privilege and if you go around thinking your smarter then the law someday it will catch up to you. I speed sometimes, in a car be like 10 mph shoot i still know im doing wrong. But it all comes down to reaction if your speeding and something pops up will you be screwed because you cant stop in time? Speeding is never smart that was my point if you dont speed then your a saint but if you do dont go off like your smart about it.

Blink talking about how he went 225km in a 100/110 what is he 17, cars or not on the freeway if he keeps up that speed and thinks he smart he needs to rethink his way about speeding before he ends up a meat waffle as they say on a center divider or a tree god knows what because we all knows sht happens.

So please dont go acting like i am afraid because you dont know me but if you did in person i admit i wouldnt come off anyway as smart but im not stupid, Currently i have no motorcycle but with my family and some friends telling me i am pretty much going to die i dont really pay attention because when i do get a motorcycle i am going to be more smart about it to try to avoid being a meat waffle because i know i am not invincible so im going to try my best to live to ride another day but when time comes time comes. Riding is for me i dont care if people look at me like im some wimp because to me its all about survival.

sorry for the longish rant it just got me a little bit worked up.

Boom King
September 16th, 2011, 05:16 PM
On the 100/110/km/h bikes will take it over 150 and I hit 225 the other day...

So it all comes to show that speeding is possible to do safely and in a smart way without getting tickets.

Umm ya... I don't think any situation where one is doing 225 km/h on a public road and daring law enforcement is in any way, shape or form qualified as being safe and "smart" about speeding. Seems like the perfect example for the opposite of "smart". There's a difference between say speeding 20 km/h over compared to displaying gross disregard for the law and thinking that you're "smart" just because you're not getting caught. See how long that cat and mouse game will last.

Sinister
September 16th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Calm yourself. I never told you how to ride. I never said you wimp. I'm simply pointing out if you want to be as safe as possible on the road then your choice is 4 wheels and doors and not a bike. You spoke of unnecessary risk and technically riding a motorcycle is one. So if you believe in eliminating unnecessary risk then why be on a bike.

Na ill stick to what i want but im not going to be a total dumb... about it, riding/driving is a privilege and if you go around thinking your smarter then the law someday it will catch up to you. I speed sometimes, in a car be like 10 mph shoot i still know im doing wrong. But it all comes down to reaction if your speeding and something pops up will you be screwed because you cant stop in time? Speeding is never smart that was my point if you dont speed then your a saint but if you do dont go off like your smart about it.

Blink talking about how he went 225km in a 100/110 what is he 17, cars or not on the freeway if he keeps up that speed and thinks he smart he needs to rethink his way about speeding before he ends up a meat waffle as they say on a center divider or a tree god knows what because we all knows sht happens.

So please dont go acting like i am afraid because you dont know me but if you did in person i admit i wouldnt come off anyway as smart but im not stupid, Currently i have no motorcycle but with my family and some friends telling me i am pretty much going to die i dont really pay attention because when i do get a motorcycle i am going to be more smart about it to try to avoid being a meat waffle because i know i am not invincible so im going to try my best to live to ride another day but when time comes time comes. Riding is for me i dont care if people look at me like im some wimp because to me its all about survival.

massacremasses
September 16th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I DO WHAT I WANT!!!

F-CK THE POOOLICE!!!

tehehehe

ninja250
September 17th, 2011, 12:41 AM
I used to say that too until I got to spend a few nights in the fun house. lol

Like it or not gotta do what they say or you will end up paying for it somehow eventually.

Better kiss buns because if cops think you doing something wrong now days they might send a bullet your way too. Cheaper than us paying for your jail time.

blink
September 17th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Umm ya... I don't think any situation where one is doing 225 km/h on a public road and daring law enforcement is in any way, shape or form qualified as being safe and "smart" about speeding. Seems like the perfect example for the opposite of "smart". There's a difference between say speeding 20 km/h over compared to displaying gross disregard for the law and thinking that you're "smart" just because you're not getting caught. See how long that cat and mouse game will last.

Read posts properly before being smart :thumbup:

massacremasses
September 17th, 2011, 09:11 AM

Like it or not gotta do what they say or you will end up paying for it somehow eventually.

Better kiss buns because if cops think you doing something wrong now days they might send a bullet your way too. Cheaper than us paying for your jail time.

Oh id do more then that...

muahahaha

blink
September 17th, 2011, 09:21 AM

Haha you think you're better and more wise because you're older? How old are you? I wouldn't even have mentioned the age argument if I were you, most people are quite shocked when they find out I'm 17...actually 18.

Who says your a wimp if you don't speed? Obviously you don't understand the thread.? No one here demotes you as a rider for not speeding, also if you understood english properly me saying 225 had NOTHING to do with my other paragraph about safe speeding :rolleyes:

And what are you trying to accomplish by saying don't think I'm scared of you? ...Were on the internet trying to have a conversation obviously no one is scared of anyone.
As for the "when I get one I will be safe" that's good. I'm safe too, I've been driving for 4 years and haven't gotten any tickets nor have I had any accidents, so as for you thinking I'm dumb and stupid for my age, not really..

So as for the meat waffle talk I think you should save that for the older guys, a lot of them are over 25 with good jobs and so on...I'm surprised when I see who's driving the bike since we usually pull over for coffee after we tag along with other bikers. So the age accusation really isn't on your side :thumbup:

blink
September 17th, 2011, 09:24 AM

Also you kind of contradicted yourself because you said speeding is dumb and an unnecessary risk and you just admited that you do speed sometimes...?

blink
September 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM

Yeah I completely agree with you, there are always exceptions and some people will be lucky and get away with it, but most won't.

So that's what I'm trying to get across to the russininja guy, but I don't think he quite understands that I clearly specified that I do not always speed. Maybe others understand though.

blink
September 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Someone doesn't realize they are being trolled.....

my "double lordy" reply was a sarcastic mock towards him ..

Boom King
September 17th, 2011, 09:39 AM
he still doesn't get it

Alex
September 17th, 2011, 10:04 AM
No, no he doesn't.

massacremasses
September 17th, 2011, 12:09 PM
http://troll.me/images/trololo/trololo-lolo-lo-lo-trololo.jpg

rusninja
September 17th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Haha you think you're better and more wise because you're older? How old are you? I wouldn't even have mentioned the age argument if I were you, most people are quite shocked when they find out I'm 17...actually 18.

Who says your a wimp if you don't speed? Obviously you don't understand the thread.? No one here demotes you as a rider for not speeding, also if you understood english properly me saying 225 had NOTHING to do with my other paragraph about safe speeding :rolleyes:

And what are you trying to accomplish by saying don't think I'm scared of you? ...Were on the internet trying to have a conversation obviously no one is scared of anyone.
As for the "when I get one I will be safe" that's good. I'm safe too, I've been driving for 4 years and haven't gotten any tickets nor have I had any accidents, so as for you thinking I'm dumb and stupid for my age, not really..

So as for the meat waffle talk I think you should save that for the older guys, a lot of them are over 25 with good jobs and so on...I'm surprised when I see who's driving the bike since we usually pull over for coffee after we tag along with other bikers. So the age accusation really isn't on your side :thumbup:

actually im 18 sinister said i should be in a cage rather then a bike so i assumed wimp and i think your not smart because you talk about being under the radar but your sliping 2x over the speed limit you'd get your stuff messed up if you got cought. well you said you drive 4 months a year pretty much?

ya all ages can be squidly we're still young and have alot to do and for the post smart speeding i think that is a stupid post.

rusninja
September 17th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Also you kind of contradicted yourself because you said speeding is dumb and an unnecessary risk and you just admited that you do speed sometimes...?

I admite to it being wrong when i drive over 10 mph not over 60 something like you did i have never done.

blink
September 17th, 2011, 06:51 PM
he still doesn't get it

lolo you still don't get it :rolleyes:

blink
September 17th, 2011, 06:52 PM
You wouldn't be a good debater... you think your tough guy because you are all mr no speeding :thumbup:

rusninja
September 17th, 2011, 06:56 PM
lolo you still don't get it :rolleyes:

What you dont get is most people dont agree with you.

blink
September 17th, 2011, 06:57 PM
What you dont get is most people dont agree with you.

Actually most means "majority" I see 2 that don't, so most obviously they just don't know how to read and understand a post..

rusninja
September 17th, 2011, 06:59 PM
You wouldn't be a good debater... you think your tough guy because you are all mr no speeding :thumbup:

I dont think im anything i speed a bit but i do not abuse my privilege like you do.

Alex
September 17th, 2011, 07:00 PM
/closed