View Full Version : is this going to be a problem?

noob1220
August 30th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I finally had a chance to go out and ride last night for an hour and a half. When I reluctantly went home, I pulled up in front of the garage door and summoned my husband out of the house for supervision so I could try and back it in to our cramped one-car garage. Normally, I stop at the end of the driveway and power walk it up to the door, park it and let him put it in the garage because I'm a noob like that. :o This time though, I was feeling confident and actually rode it up the driveway and got it turned around to back it in. This is where my dilemma occurs - our driveway is sloped, not steep, but steep enough that I couldn't for the life of me push the bike backwards up the hill. Not that it was heavy - but I couldn't touch the ground well enough to push it. I'm not that short (5'5") but I'm not quite flat footed on the ground when I'm on the bike. Hasn't been an issue until I had to try and push it backwards up a hill, and my tiptoes can't even move the damn thing. I had to get off and let the hubs back it into the garage. Slightly embarrassing, and definitely a confidence breaker. Of course, I can't think of any place where I'd have to perform that maneuver anywhere other than my driveway, but you never know right? Does anyone else have this problem? Suggestions? Or should I just not worry about?

Alex
August 30th, 2011, 09:26 AM
You did the right thing. Just get off the bike and walk it anywhere you need to push it. Much safer than trying to paddle it backwards if you can't plant both feet on the ground firmly.

alex.s
August 30th, 2011, 09:27 AM
can't you get off and walk it in? for the shorter people or the people on taller bikes backing up a hill can be an issue... just get off the bike and push. always keep the bike leaning against you. if you let it lean the other way, it falls and takes you with it if you hang on

algerath
August 30th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Just be aware of the slope of parking spots before you pull in to them and it shouldn't be a problem. Don't hesitate to pass a parking spot with too much slope to it.

Have you thought about just pulling in to the garage forward and backing down the driveway when you leave. That way when you have to back up it is down hill and gravity does the work for you, just keep it upright and use the brakes.

noob1220
August 30th, 2011, 10:03 AM
can't you get off and walk it in? for the shorter people or the people on taller bikes backing up a hill can be an issue... just get off the bike and push. always keep the bike leaning against you. if you let it lean the other way, it falls and takes you with it if you hang on

Wow. :o

I am ashamed to admit that I never even thought about WALKING it in. That's even more embarrassing.

Excuse me while I go crawl back in my hole. :doh:

U5er
August 30th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Normally, I stop at the end of the driveway and power walk it up to the door, park it and let him put it in the garage because I'm a noob like that. :o

I laughed and then said "awwww". :p

Pulling it backwards, up a slope, while leaning it slightly on your thigh requires a bit of strength. Make sure you can properly apply the front brakes and pull the bike in small increments. Always make sure you have a firm grasp and posture before you let go of the brakes and take a step.

oblivion007
August 30th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Would power walking it into the garage, and when exiting just using the breaking system to back it down the slope for when you leave the house and what not be an option?

noob1220
August 30th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Would power walking it into the garage, and when exiting just using the breaking system to back it down the slope for when you leave the house and what not be an option?

It probably would be. Hubs usually just swings it around three-point turn style and then backs it in, so I figured I'd try to do the same thing. For me, it's much easier to have it backed in so I can easily roll forward down the driveway, zig-zagging between our cars when I take it somewhere. (Since the one-car garage is reserved for the Ninja, we squeeze both cars in the driveway, staggered-like.)

Plus, sometimes when I'm feeling stressed, I sit on it in the garage and pretend I'm racing somewhere to get away from the kids. It's easier to visualize that when it's backed in, facing the garage door to the outside world, as opposed to pulled in and racing into a pile of childrens toys. :p

alex.s
August 30th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Plus, sometimes when I'm feeling stressed, I sit on it in the garage and pretend I'm racing somewhere to get away from the kids.

:rotflmao: nice.

oblivion007
August 30th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Plus, sometimes when I'm feeling stressed, I sit on it in the garage and pretend I'm racing somewhere to get away from the kids. I. :p

:rotflmao:

zilaniz
August 30th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I cant flat foot my R6 so I am always very careful how I park it so its not on an incline and I have to back it up, even the slightest incline can be a bitch

Jinx250
August 31st, 2011, 08:43 AM
I am ashamed to admit that I never even thought about WALKING it in. That's even more embarrassing.

I'd rather be embarrassed than have a broken bike.

noob1220
August 31st, 2011, 09:56 AM
I'd rather be embarrassed than have a broken bike.

What I meant was, I'm embarrassed that the thought of getting off and walking it in never crossed my mind. :o I wouldn't be embarrassed to actually do that. Just so we're clear. :)

Which is why last night when I got home from my ride, I swung it around, and got off to walk it backwards into the garage as was suggested. I made it a whole foot before I parked it and left it for my husband to do it again. Not only did I feel like I was going to drop it, but when you're trying to walk it uphill backwards, that bitch is heavy . :p

rockNroll
August 31st, 2011, 10:21 AM
I parked it and left it for my husband to do it again.

He's gotta earn his keep :thumbup: