View Full Version : Riding skill Books

5evenz
September 3rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
Alright, So i've finished my msf and have about 2000km city and highway riding under my belt. A friend of my parents who has been riding forever lent me a few books. I eventually want to take it to the track and im just wondering where to start within this stack.

-Riding in the zone -Ken Condon
-Total Control -Parks
-Ride Hard Ride Smart -Hahn
-Proficient Motorcycling -Hough

I plan on reading them all, Just want to know where to start.:rolleyes:

Alex
September 3rd, 2011, 11:08 AM
A number of recommended books / videos are linked in the sticky thread in this riding skills section:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13547

The only one in your list that I'm not familiar with is: Ride Hard Ride Smart -Hahn

But the other 3 are all great, and you can't go wrong starting with any of them. If I had to pick 1, it might be the Hough book.

5evenz
September 3rd, 2011, 06:54 PM
awesome thanks, cant wait to get started.

ally99
September 3rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
-Riding in the zone -Ken Condon
-Total Control -Parks
-Ride Hard Ride Smart -Hahn
-Proficient Motorcycling -Hough

I plan on reading them all, Just want to know where to start.:rolleyes:

Definitely start with Proficient Motorcycling. It is the best beginner book!

ruben5
September 4th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Twist of the Wrist Keith Code

Toly
September 13th, 2011, 03:06 AM
Twist of the Wrist II and Total Control are both a must.

Proficient Motorcycling is a mixed bag - some good advice, with lots of BS thrown in (how to talk to the dog owners, etc). He also makes an idiot of himself on a few occasions (throttle control in a turn) and so on. But he's got some good substance on street survivial skills.

Alex
September 13th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Proficient Motorcycling is a mixed bag - some good advice, with lots of BS thrown in (how to talk to the dog owners, etc). He also makes an idiot of himself on a few occasions (throttle control in a turn) and so on.

I'd be curious if you had any clear examples of mistakes in the Hough book, it doesn't ring a bell for me.

Toly
September 13th, 2011, 08:40 AM
The one I have in mind is probably in his second volume, "More Proficient Motorcycling".. There's an amusing story about him working as a riding instructor, and refusing to teach rolling on the throttle in a turn because he perceived it as dangerous. And the chief instructor eventually threatens to kick him out unless he sides with the "party line"... after many hesitations, the author gives in and then eventually "sees the light" and perceives rolling on the throttle in turns as more of a good than evil; he becomes a believer and eventually incorporates it in his own riding... Like WTF, dude, are you serious?

In another section, he goes on advising new riders to wait before trying any "new technique" until they're comfortable... like a few months to a few years. Compare that to Keith Code who teaches to kick the bad habits and SRs in the gut, the sooner the better, and see who makes more sense.

His book is still good reading, as David has lots of good advice about street strategies... I just wish he stayed more focused on the subject. He could skip such memorable subjects as "conversations with the dog owners" to produce only one volume, short and to the point.

LoD575
September 13th, 2011, 07:49 PM
My package from Amazon arrived today and I was able to get Twist of the Wrist, Twist of the Wrist 2 book, and Twist of the Wrist 2 DVD for $50.00.

Already own Proficient Motorcycling 2nd edition by Hough.

15dollar
September 14th, 2011, 04:15 AM
I have read both Proficient Motorcycling and Twist of the Wrist.

TotW is my favorite of the two. It is written for the racer but has tons of useful information for anyone on a sportbike. Code has really broken down riding into definable skills. It will make you way more observant of the way you control your motorcycle.

PM is good for everyday street skills. He goes less into the technical points of motorcycle control and more into street strategies. (I think that is actually what the column was called from which the book was based)

The two together are a good mix.

gfloyd2002
September 14th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Proficient Motorcycling is a mixed bag - some good advice, with lots of BS thrown in (how to talk to the dog owners, etc). He also makes an idiot of himself on a few occasions (throttle control in a turn) and so on. But he's got some good substance on street survivial skills.

While he targets people off the track for practical street application -- resulting in some different advice in some circumstances, like a preference for a delayed apex -- I find him to be incredibly thoughtful, providing the best advise of any book. I would be happy to discuss individual examples where you think his advice is BS, because it really isn't at all.

His advice vs. also excellent advice by Code or Pridmore or others is the most practical for the street, and going to result in the safest rider in real world conditions. I cannot recommend his books enough.

Toly
September 14th, 2011, 12:05 PM
While he targets people off the track for practical street application -- resulting in some different advice in some circumstances, like a preference for a delayed apex -- I find him to be incredibly thoughtful, providing the best advise of any book. I would be happy to discuss individual examples where you think his advice is BS, because it really isn't at all.

His advice vs. also excellent advice by Code or Pridmore or others is the most practical for the street, and going to result in the safest rider in real world conditions. I cannot recommend his books enough.

By BS I don't mean bad advice, but lots of irrelevant stuff. It makes for an entertaining reading, but doesn't serve a beginner well. A beginner needs a minimum of critical information to remember and apply to practice. And that's where the book doesn't deliver - there's tons of good info diluted with tons of extraneous stuff that at the end of the day doesn't sink in very well.

What do you remember after reading two volumes that you can recall from memory (no cheating, please)? And, from what you've recalled, was it delayed apex, specific road hazards and traffic situations, or was it deer psychology, pink elephants, conversations with dog owners and his grandson's tastes? Can you recall the essense of the really important sfuff and take it wth you on your next ride? I couldn't - and fell into the very trap he had described, because instead of a particular surface hazard all I could remember were him making peace with the throttle mid-corner, freezing his butt on the alpine crossing; toilets falling off the truck and elephants escaping from the zoo.

gfloyd2002
September 14th, 2011, 04:03 PM
He uses examples to illustrate his points, ones that actually happened iirc. I remember that much better than pure theory because the examples are vivid and instructional while just saying something without an example can get a bit dry for me. I recall his points quite well, and find the book outstanding. But people have different learning styles and appreciate different things. Nothing wrong with that at all, and I can't say you should or shouldn't like him better because of his writing style. For me, its perfect. For you, could be better. I'm cool with that.

WhiteRice
September 20th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I read both Hough books, highly recommend. Together they pretty much cover all the fundamentals a novice rider should know.

Plus there's many good scenarios with instruction on what to do when you encounter them.

gfloyd2002
October 7th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I have one more to add, am reading it now. Called Motorcycle Roadcraft - Police Rider's Handbook to Better Motorcycling. Written for police, as you can tell from the title, but the theme of the book is professionalism. It is essentially advocating taking riding a motorcycle as seriously as a pilot would treat flying a plane. Very meticulous, very correct, all about systems and processes for safe riding. Awesome content. I've also attached a PDF of the table of contents (legal copy from the publisher used to promote the book).

Alex, can we add this to the sticky in the riding skills section listing books and vids (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13547)?

http://www.desktopdriving.co.uk/images/57.png

Alex
October 7th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Alex, can we add this to the sticky in the riding skills section listing books and vids (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13547)?

All set! Thx, Floyd.