View Full Version : I was driving along when all the sudden...

itsa250bro
September 5th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I woke up in the hospital.

That was 2 years ago, I still don't know exactly what happened - I have no memory of anything that happened 1 hour before, and 3 hours after the crash. I know exactly where/when the crash happened from the police report - but, I still don't remember anything. Best I've been able to put together is that I hit a deer - they are like everywhere here in NJ. After the crash - someone happened upon the scene (a fellow biker - thank god) and he called 911 when he saw me walking around in circles, asking the same questions over and over again. I wound up getting a life-flight to the hospital and pissing off my wife pretty good.

When I got the bike back from the garage, the damage wasn't that bad - broken bracket that holds the right peg and rear brake, missing turn signal, cracked fairings and the front brake lever was bent. Replacing the parts wasn't too hard but, it took forever to dig all of the deer hair out of the fairings/engine.

I just wish I remembered what happened so I could learn from my mistake - target fixation, high side/low side - or just bad luck. Anyway, the bike and my wife are both great again.:thumbup:

alex.s
September 5th, 2011, 03:51 PM
probably better the deer than a tree or car. i can't count how many times i've almost hit coyotes in my car... only a few times on the bike... went over a slight blind ridge and found a group of them standing in the road on the bike... i swerved to the other lane which was the only clear spot of road and somehow avoided all of them seemed like 5 or 6, fishtailed the rear and almost crashed... i did hit a bunny on my ninja one time. there's some sweet videos of deer hits on bikes on the youtubes... good to hear your damage was minimal, but yeowtch life flight is expensive

rusninja
September 5th, 2011, 03:58 PM
dang :S Good thing you have a positive attitude. :]

Kevin2109
September 5th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Glad your ok! Ive had that experience before after being hit by a car, still missing about 18 hours of my life after being hit. Sure hope everything is all good! :D

itsa250bro
September 5th, 2011, 04:21 PM
18 hours yikes - that's pretty major. Did you need rehab? Your screen name makes a lot more sense now (Honey Badger doesn't give a ****!)

For me it was just "Hello World" how did I get here - and what happened to all my clothes? Nice thing though, they removed my riding gear (which I got back) but, cut of my clothes (which I did not). Jacket was just a little scratched, and helmet needed to be replaced - luckily a friend had recommended getting Arai - so now I'm a customer for life.

Kevin2109
September 5th, 2011, 04:36 PM
**** happens, nothing you could really do cuz it was a dear. Just glad everything is all good

Live2ride
September 5th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Does any one realize that this could have been an alien abduction / cover up. :eek:

p.s. yes; I am kidding :rolleyes:

itsa250bro
September 5th, 2011, 06:08 PM
That explains the "other" problem I was too embarrassed to mention...

Alex
September 5th, 2011, 06:31 PM
It looks like that site doesn't let you link pics like that, we just see a logo. :idunno:

Mocha Man
September 5th, 2011, 06:40 PM
No matter how bad the actual crash is, you always know the lecture from the wife is going to be 10x worse. "I told you those things were dangerous!"

Live2ride
September 5th, 2011, 06:42 PM
It looks like that site doesn't let you link pics like that, we just see a logo. :idunno:

I see it....and it's funny. :D

Alex
September 5th, 2011, 07:14 PM
:) I see it when I go straight to that link. I reloaded it as an attachment to that post. :thumbup:

GreenNinja
September 6th, 2011, 09:27 AM
That explains the "other" problem I was too embarrassed to mention...

:crazy:

Tooo funny!!! I'm sorry to hear about the crash(es) though.

itsa250bro
September 6th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Alex - Thanks for the tech support :hitputer:

No matter how bad the actual crash is, you always know the lecture from the wife is going to be 10x worse. "I told you those things were dangerous!"

My wife was actually great but she won't ride 2up anymore!

phr3ek
September 6th, 2011, 09:57 PM
i lost about 4 hours of my life while doctors fondled my testicles :p

hehehe, yep
my ball tried to commit suicide by hanging itself :nod:...........no joke
that cocktail of sleeping agents and numbing agents sneak up on you :smile-drink3:

GeorgiaHooligan
September 12th, 2011, 05:41 PM
damn, life flights are expensive as sh#t. Glad your alive

Alex
September 12th, 2011, 06:55 PM
They can be, but some areas of the country let you join the life flight services for very little money, and if you are a member, they agree to accept whatever your insurance pays and no more if you ever need the service. Can save people literally thousands of dollars for as little as $30/year.

Popular ones here in California are http://www.calstar.org/ and http://www.reachair.com/ .

Kurgan
September 14th, 2011, 12:00 AM
When it comes to bikes and Deer, I seriously doubt it was target fixation.

All the videos I've ever seen it really looks like the deer was "playing chicken" and trying to make it across the street as close to the bike as possible. Some of them have tried to make it across right in the middle of a group of extremely loud bikes.

itsa250bro
September 15th, 2011, 11:26 AM
The life-flight price was only $1300 which was covered by insurance. That was a bargain to 1 night stay in the hospital ($1800) + tests ($1300) and the EMT ($500) and my local hospital costs ($500), and experts that were telephoned ($500) + everything else.

Plus, I have "health insurance" through my motorcycle insurance that somehow sneaked into my coverage. The extra coverage is only $40/yr for up to $1000 settlement but, they did not allow me to claim anything because they said they had I had list them as primary, with my normal health insurance as secondary. They would not pay my normal health insurance deductible - which was well over $1000. I have Allstate - which I've always been very happy with except for this. I would remove it from my plan but, I guess I'm a little superstitious.

Speaking of Allstate - I just received an add from them about http://goodhandsroadside.com which is "free" until you use it ($75 for a tow up to 10 miles, $3 after that). Has anyone used this?

Kevin2109
September 15th, 2011, 11:30 AM
The life-flight price was only $1300 which was covered by insurance. That was a bargain to 1 night stay in the hospital ($1800) + tests ($1300) and the EMT ($500) and my local hospital costs ($500), and experts that were telephoned ($500) + everything else.

Plus, I have "health insurance" through my motorcycle insurance that somehow sneaked into my coverage. The extra coverage is only $40/yr for up to $1000 settlement but, they did not allow me to claim anything because they said they had I had list them as primary, with my normal health insurance as secondary. They would not pay my normal health insurance deductible - which was well over $1000. I have Allstate - which I've always been very happy with except for this. I would remove it from my plan but, I guess I'm a little superstitious.

Speaking of Allstate - I just received an add from them about http://goodhandsroadside.com which is "free" until you use it ($75 for a tow up to 10 miles, $3 after that). Has anyone used this?

that seems really good! :thumbup: In total mine was about $3000 with insurance :eek: about $10,000 without insurance :eek::eek: